Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092575 Posts in 72179 Topics- by 19440 Members - Latest Member: drater421
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reynolds Contempora Resurrection !  (Read 1806 times)
salsabone

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:13PM »

Gentlemen!  I am seeking you esteemed advice!  I have recently decided to go ahead and rectify one of my worst eBay buys and make playable an early to mid 50's Reynolds Contempora 30-L tenor trombone(.520 bore according to the Contempora Corner website).  After purchasing this horn I realized it was on the wall of some old ballroom.  A large dent in the bell section, pointing the bell some 20+ degrees to the right and a slide that did not move a lick.  My local repairman fixed the bell and made the slide work(rather well) for the HUGE amount of $85.  Upon the retun of the horn I started to play my "new" conquest with glee only to realize that my large shank mouthpiece did not fit and my small shank mouthpiece went all of the way in up to the hilt.  Alas, no lead pipe in the horn.  Even with these problems the overall sound of this trombone is incedible!  does anybody know where I may aquire a laedpipe for this gem?!!  I thank you in advance for your advice!

Kevin aka "salsabone"

Go for the The Topper you wimps!!!
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:39PM »

I seem to recall John Sandhagen telling me that he could turn a Bach 36 pipe down far enough to fit in a .500" bore horn; making it fit a .520" would be cake. In fact, I expect almost any .525" pipe could be turned down the requisite .005" without much trouble (that's only .0025" per side). If it's fairly loose in a .525" horn, it might fit without modification. If you can find one for a .522" horn (Conn 50H, 78H, etc.), that's only .001" per side - it'll probably just drop right in.

BTW - Steve Ferguson (www.hornguys.com) lists a Bach 36 pipe for just $30 - if he has one ("limited availability").

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 08:04AM »

Look at the inside tube at a light and see if there is a leadpipe...it might be a medium bore...

Replacing it with a Conn .525 or Bach 36 would make sense...it may behave better or worse, but at least you'd have a selection of mouthpieces...PITA with a medium shank.  Or talk nice to Doug Elliot...get a medium shank and the equivelant bowl to what you play now.

If the medium Pipe is indeed there, pulling the thing on a 50 year old horn could be a challenge...just weigh your options.

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
Stretch Longarm
old enough to know better

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:51AM »

Good luck with the horn..I had a similar model that I dubbed the Reynolds "Contemptora" because of it's horrible partials and bad slotting...but it did have a wonderful tone.

trombone airflow is 360 degrees. Think about it.
singing salesman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 09:26PM »

I had the pleasure of playing Salsabones Contempora out on the street beside the Chevy dealership where we both work. Even with a small shank mp sunk in deep it played like a champ. I could play it on every big band job and never have any regrets. I find it unlikely that it has some sort of "medium' leadpipe.I gather that you're referring to something like a vintage Boosey and Hawkes or Besson Euphonium receiver. Since the Reynolds is an American made horn I doubt this is the case. I'm pretty sure the leadpipe is just plain missing. And being a close personal friend and veteran of many gigs sitting side by side with Salsabone I can also make one thing perfectly clear: He doesn't have just one particular mp for Doug to create a medium shank with. He can play a variety of slightly different pieces with the same great results-so that's what he does. Warburton,Marcinkewitcz (several each of these brands) 11C Megatone yada,yada,yada,. I'm a different story -one Warburton 7 rim and every depth imaginable-even a custom ES cup. But asking Kevin to pick just one is not in the cards. :-)
HeRoze
Victor R.

"hack"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 05:55AM »

Contempora has a 'different' mouthpiece that is in between a small and large shank.  SOmetimes you see original Reynolds mouthpieces on ebay.  The Contempora I was playing had the original mouthpiece and it worked fine... no leadpipe.  However, none of my usual mouthpieces would fit properly.

As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand - Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw)
There is some fiction in your truth, and some truth in your fiction. To know the truth, you must risk everything. - Neo
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:52AM »

Are you saying it has no leadpipe or that it's just a permanent fixture in the inner slide?

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
HeRoze
Victor R.

"hack"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 08:55AM »

assume permanent fixture.  my point was that there are mouthpieces that actually fit the thing, but they are from the period, and somewhere between a current small and large shank.

As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand - Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw)
There is some fiction in your truth, and some truth in your fiction. To know the truth, you must risk everything. - Neo
singing salesman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 05:55PM »

Well I stand corrected. I just got a lengthy message from Salsabone.The Argenta came with a Reynolds mouthpiece and guess what? It fits both the Contempora and the Argenta. Now he just needs to get someone like Warburton to fashion a backbore just for his two Reynolds horns. I guess I played the Argenta on the Reynolds mp that came with it.It seems to be in a 61/2-7 rim ID so it was big enough for me to get my chops in. Kevin is more comfortable with the Warburton Rosolino and other pieces in that size ID. I'm betting they can hook him up with something that will be Aces on these two great horns. I still have a real issue with their logic back then- making only their own pieces work.
HeRoze
Victor R.

"hack"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 06:09PM »

Hey - take some pictures of the Reynolds next to a small and large shank MP if you can.  I wish I had so I could have posted it.  I gave the horn back to the guy who owns it before this topic came up, and I think he was going to ebay it... dont know if he's done it yet or not.

sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 08:41PM »

Good luck with the horn..I had a similar model that I dubbed the Reynolds "Contemptora" because of it's horrible partials and bad slotting...but it did have a wonderful tone.

Someone once asked Jack Teagarden what the "R" stood for on the horn he was playing...a Reynolds that he did not play for very long.

His immortal (and probably a little drunk) answer?

"Rotten".

Yup.

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
salsabone

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 10:30AM »

Guys - I have not had much time to play the Contempora, but I love its cousin my Argenta.  It is basically a nickle silver version of my 30L Contempora - .520 bore 8.5 inch bell.  I am going to play the Argenta in a new Salsa group this afternoon.  I will report back about how it(and I) did.

HeRoze - I will post some mouthpiece pics when I get a chance!

Salasbone

salsabone

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 08:18PM »

The verdict is in!  The Argenta could possibly be one of my most favorite salsa(or anything else)horns ever(yes I do own and play a lot the King 3b - the most beloved horn for us Salsa guys).  With the response of this horn I am more than willing to overcome the problem of the different mouthpiece reciever size that this horn presents.  Hopefully my Contempora will give me the same type of satisfaction!

Salsabone

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: