Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

949939 Posts in 62861 Topics- by 15169 Members - Latest Member: tuffybruin24
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: using WD-40 on a trombone  (Read 2258 times)
glinckens

View Profile
« on: Oct 22, 2003, 10:08PM »

Hi everyone,

I have a silver plated trombone (Courtois 150) and on the rim of the bell, where the brass is folded back to form the rim, some green oxidation is showing.
I am thinking of using WD-40 (a cleaning/protecting fluid that comes in spray cans) on the oxidation. That should get rid of the green oxidation and prevent it from coming through the silver.
What do you think?

For those who don't know what WD-40 is, here's a link:
 WD-40
Maybe then you'll recognize it.
2olbones
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2003, 10:48PM »

My experience with WD-40 is that, although it is a rather useful substance, it always leaves a sticky residue.  Speaking for myself, I would not use it on a trombone, unless the mouthpiece was stuck in the receiver and WD-40 was useful as penetrating oil. And then only when nothing else had worked. It might also work as a last resort on a seized rotor.
david dent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2003, 10:50PM »

The green colour is from the copper in the brass, possibly from an area where the silver plate is very thin.  WD40 is a de-watering agent and sometimes used as a release agent for rusted up motor parts.  I don't think it would have any effect on the verdigris (green colouration).   Try a high quality silver polish - this is very gentle on the silver and should get rid of the green oxidation - use it sparingly as it does remove a thin layer of silver each time you use it!   If the verdigris is very bad then a brass polish will have to be used - but this is even more harsh on the silver plate - beware.
Hope this is of some help.
Dave Dent
fin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2003, 01:39PM »

David Dent is right on the money.

Jim

so you want to jump out your trick bag....and ease on into a hip bag....but you ain't exactly sure what's hip..............
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2003, 02:54PM »

Guido and others:

I am going to take the liberty and move this topic and several good answers over to "Repairs" where some of our Forum repair gurus will be able to respond to this topic, as it seems just slightly out of place, in Instruments.  

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra & Springfield (OH) Symphony
BBb Tuba Ohio Valley British Brass Band (OVBBB) & Western Ohio Tuba Quartet
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
Fenicottero deRosa

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2003, 04:18PM »

I have a brass Holton...and on my slide there is some rusty colored spots. I've shined it, given it baths, used brass cleaner, but nothing seems to be working. I've asked several people what they thought, and got several different answers, including:
>An acid leak, from not cleaning the slide after oiling    (slide oil...which I don't use anymore.),
>Water got caught in the outer slide after a bath and ate through the finish, and that I can get a kit to clean it off, and
>The slide is simply rotting. There is nothing I can do about it but get a new horn    (though I've only had this one about 2 years).
  Any ideas?

-Cait
Two beans, or not two beans?
That is indegestion!
Luke

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2003, 05:09PM »

Get a tube of Simichrome.  It's a sort of miracle polisher, it has been able to clean up and brightly polish every blemish on every metal I've tried, except the red rot spots of raw brass.  Use on the green oxidation, you should be able to clear it away and see what's underneath.

Luke

[insert trombone accomplishment here]
Geeky Bone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2003, 04:52PM »

First try some dip type silver cleaner (can't think of the brand right now, but the kind that recomends no rubbing). These are strong chemical and can work wonders. Put a drop on the green and quickly rinse it with water.  If this doesn't do it move to Wrights Silver polish and a soft flannel cloth.  Wrights will require some rubbing and will most likely remove some silver plate where the green is showing. But if the dip type won't do the job the plate at that spot is beyond help any way.

- Harry
--------------------------------
"This condition is caused by the very small particle of brain that is lodged in his head" - Monty Python Flying Circus

TROMBONISTS OF THE WORLD UNITE ! ! ! ! !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

masaj salonu ankara ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj