Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

949578 Posts in 62820 Topics- by 15165 Members - Latest Member: bender
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentMouthpieces(Moderators: BGuttman, Doug Elliott) Where can I get my mouthpiece replated?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where can I get my mouthpiece replated?  (Read 991 times)
BoneAggie

View Profile
« on: Jul 29, 2008, 10:09AM »

The gold plating on my Denis Wick MP is flaking.  Where can I get it replated?  I'm assuming it should be done by someone with mouthpiece plating experience so as to avoid plating failure in the future.  Would it be cheaper to just get a new one?
normrowe

"If at first you don't succeed, fix the blame FAST."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2008, 06:50PM »

The gold plating on my Denis Wick MP is flaking.  Where can I get it replated?  I'm assuming it should be done by someone with mouthpiece plating experience so as to avoid plating failure in the future.  Would it be cheaper to just get a new one?

I used to have a friend (trumpet player) who had a small jewelry store.  He gold plated some mouthpieces for me.

bass trombonist (1977 Olds P-24G; Schilke 60, Marcinkiewicz 107)
principal euphonium (2003 Gerhard Baier BEP-650; Wick 2NAL), Ashland City Band (Ashland, OR)
principal oboe (1962 Loree full conservatory), Curry/Del Norte Orchestra
www.talentmusic.biz
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:27PM »

Kanstuls is always my first choice.
But there's also a jewelry plater here in Dallas that does great work.
Not sure what they charge for gold.
They're not cheap,  but their work is top notch.

It might be cheaper to get a new Wick.
If it was a Bach,  I'd say get it replated, as you never know what you'll get from them.

Thanks
Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
ntalarico

"Please rescue a retired greyhound!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2008, 09:50AM »

Karl Hammond did a Mount Vernon 11C and a King Equa-Tru 28 for me at a very reasonable price and they turned out great.  He absolutely understood my concern about not wanting to change their playing characteristics for the sake of plating.

Are you all reet?
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2008, 04:41AM »

The gold plating on Wick pieces went through a really bad patch in the late '70's/early '80's. Is your mouthpiece from this period? The story goes that Denis was in partnership with his mouthpiece plater, who ripped him off by putting only a 1/10th of the specified gold onto his pieces - I played on pieces from this time and the plating would begin to wear after sometimes only 2 weeks. Consequently Denis had to recall all unsold stock and replate them, however the damage had been done and for a time Wick pieces had a reputation for being badly gold-plated. Things are very different now - the plating on his pieces, both silver and gold, is excellent and I, for one, have never had any problems. Denis is a great guy and justifiably very proud of his designs.......... just some background
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: