Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080563 Posts in 71520 Topics- by 19056 Members - Latest Member: Coleman25
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Advice on audition pieces please  (Read 1434 times)
tiburon

View Profile
« on: Nov 06, 2008, 12:24AM »

Hello all,

Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I have an audition coming up next year and have to choose between a couple of pieces, however I am not familiar with any of them. I am hoping you can offer some insight as to which would work best for an audition.

It is a standard "two contrasting movements" audition, and there are four works to choose from:
  • David: Concertino
  • Hindemith: Sonate
  • Larsson: Concertino
  • Serocki: Sonatine

I honestly do not know much about any of these, and so I would really appreciate it if you could give me any feedback or advice, as they all seem to be fairly standard repertoire. My main weakness right now is a limited high range, so I would prefer to stay away from anything that gets ridiculously up there. If you have any experience with these I would love to hear about them, especially if you could suggest good contrasting movements.

I have read through a lot of this forum so I've picked up some great information on auditions and the like; it's just specifically these pieces that I'd like to know more about. Thank you very much in advance for any help you are able to provide.
shiresbone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2008, 05:58AM »

Well it is hard to say which is best if you have a teacher it would be best to speak with him about it.  What is the audition for?  College, competition ect...  The David is the most standard piece.  Larsson in my opinion is the more difficult one.  All for moments in the Hindemith are in allegro or a similar tempo.  Serocki is a great piece the last movement is very difficult.  If you have difficult in the high range id say the first movement in the Hindemith would be good.  And the second in the David.  They are all standard to if you going to school for music you should have all of them handy you will probably play them at some point they are good to have.  I don't have the larsson piece so I don't know much about it only that it is a very difficult piece.  Hope this helps.
tiburon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2008, 08:05AM »

Thank you very much for your input. Sorry if I was a little vague before; this is a college audition and I do not have a private teacher right now. I have had a very good teacher since I started playing four years ago, but I'm a freshman in college now and haven't had the time to find one here this semester. Hopefully this audition will change that, though.

I realize it's hard to make any recommendations without knowing me as a player, but I have seen you guys help people who come in here asking for suggestions of pieces to play for an audition; I already have four pieces here, so I'm just looking for some general information on them that will help me decide what to do.

To that end, your advice was exactly what I was looking for; thank you! Are there more suggestions out there?  :)
Uglyhorn2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2008, 09:23AM »

I like all four pieces very much.  The one I am least likely to choose for an audition is the Larsson, unless you will have an accompanist.  The piece is more difficult to pull off by yourself.

The Serocki is a good choice I think, due to the length and the contrasting movements.  The first or third movements display technicality and detached playing.  The second is very nice for displaying musicality and more connected playing.  Also, if range is an issue, it is a little more conservative.

The David and the Hindemith are both great standards, and you can't go wrong choosing them.  The David will definitely test your range, second movement spans from pedal G to high C. The Hindemith does not make use of the low range of the horn but does get to the high C. The David is great for displaying rhythmic accuracy (when played correctly) and dynamic contrast.  The Hindemith is great for displaying pitch accuracy on difficult intervals and rhythmic contrast as well.

In the end, I would choose the piece that is most compelling to you.  I think your enthusiasm for playing the piece will be very helpful in an audition situation.

Hope this helps,

John

John Marsh
USAF Band of the West

"You can't control perception but you can control presentation."
tiburon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2008, 10:10PM »

In the end, I would choose the piece that is most compelling to you.  I think your enthusiasm for playing the piece will be very helpful in an audition situation.

That is a very good point, and I've been keeping that in mind as I'm listening to and previewing the different pieces. Thank you for your advice as well, you've been very helpful  :)
Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2008, 10:47PM »

Purchase or borrow some recordings, same for the trombone part - listen, play thru, let the little guy in your tummy tell you which one to play. We all have our favorites - but you should play whichever seems to move you the most, the one you can really work up, etc.

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.tommattabigband.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: