Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

940711 Posts in 61877 Topics- by 14941 Members - Latest Member: sciencebassbone
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bach Mercedes Trombone?  (Read 6786 times)
LisaW

View Profile
« on: Dec 10, 2008, 02:39PM »

Hi all,

We are currently looking to upgrade my son to a better trombone. He is in 9th grade and plays a Yamaha YSL-354 which we purchased secondhand, and frankly has seen better days. We don't want to spend a lot, because he may or may not keep up with it after high school, but want to get a fairly decent instrument to maybe inspire him to want to play more. I came across this one on our local Craiglist (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/925587952.html) and Google has not been particularly helpful in helping me find reviews or recommendations about it (but Google did lead me to this forum!) so I'm hoping that the experts here might be able to give me the scoop. I did email the owner and learn that the trombone was purchased used eight years ago, and played for 7 of the last 8 years. Anything else I should ask?

Please, let me know what you think of this particular trombone, and give me suggestions on finding a trombone under $500. Thanks so much!
bobertthebone
lonleyppl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 02:55PM »

Not worth it for $200.  It still a beginner trombone, it just has an identity crisis.  Try to look for used Yamahas with a model number starting with 4,  an older used Conn 78h, 88h, a King 3B, 3B+, or Bach 36 or 36B.  These are much better instruments, and while they are going to be harder to find and closer to $500 than the Mercedes, but are going to be a much better value and will hold if not increase their value over the time you own them.

To infinity and beyond!
(-∞,∞)
hbk73

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2008, 03:31PM »

i upgraded my horn when i was in ninth grade to a Yamaha allegro, and love it but those run pretty high.  You can find many used good trombone for a good price.  The trombones bobertthebone suggested are great, also yamaha used to make a YSL-356G, an intermidiate grade, like the four-hundreds, but its just in the three-hundereds(model number).  http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D914%252526CTID%25253D242700%252526LGFL%25253D%252526HST%25253DY,00.html
Sue

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:43PM »

The Yamaha 354 is one of the better student trombones, I would take it over a Bach Mercedes any day. Along with the above suggestions, also consider a Bach Omega and Yamaha 646. Both have F-attachments which can come in handy for high school. A "sleeper" to watch for is the F. Schmidt .547 large bore with F-attachment, I forget the model # but they show up occasionally on ebay and go for a song. It has a nickle-silver outer slide, looks like an open wrap Bach 42B, and was made by Courtois in France as the house brand for May's Music. They are nice horns, IMO. Avoid any trombone on ebay that is new and has an impossibly low "buy it now" price. They are junk.
Another suggestion is to call Dillon's Music in Woodbridge, NJ. They have a large selection of new and used 'bones, and a great staff that will give you advice without being pushy. One day when I was there, I tried a brand new JZ mid-size (.525 bore) F-attachment trombone, and it played really nicely, one of the better intermediates I have played. Dillon's is working closely with the manufacturer in China, and checks each one that comes in. They are considering making it their house brand. I think the price was $800 or less.

A family of trombonists
Bob1062
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:19PM »

I was looking into buying a Schmidt branded Courtois .547 Bb/F last year from a woman named Sue. Was that you Sue? :D
I just couldn't get the money together, and it turned out I didn't pass the audition and I wouldn't have needed it anyways! :D

I've seen Benge .547 Bb/F's for around 600.
Stewbones43

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2008, 01:55AM »

As well as Dillon's there is a regular forum member who gets rave reviews for what he sells. He is known as "dj". I have never seen a bad word about him, only praise. I have no connection with him, living way too far away, but he sounds good.

Cheers

Stewbones

PS He has an interesting way of using the language that my country has been developing for a very long time!

Trombone means big trumpet-does that mean it is louder?
Sue

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2008, 11:29AM »

Yes, Bob, it probably was me. I have had 2 for sale in the last few years. I considered keeping one to use in place of my Bach 42 on outdoor gigs, but couldn't really justify it. IMO, they play 90% as well as most 42's. The slide was so close to my 42LW that I could swap the inners and outers. BTW, lately when I've done a search on e-bay for the Schmidt brand, I usually get 1) a student horn that looks Chinese-made or 2) what appears to be a re-branded Blessing B-88.
Courtois seems to be marketing their trombones in the US more aggressively, and the prices are going up. I have liked every one that I've tried.

A family of trombonists
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: