Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

923229 Posts in 60423 Topics- by 14495 Members - Latest Member: hpaez
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 76   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Earl Williams Trombone  (Read 178078 times)
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 06:50PM »

Just got my first Earl Williams Horn  (Model 6)!!!  This horn is a beast, I never would have imagined the sound that this thing produces! 

I am hooked on my trombone right now.  Can't feel my lips, but I keep playing.  Kinda like someone put some tobacco in the mouthpiece.  I am addicted to playing it!

This horn isn't leaving my grip.  If anyone sees me selling it, tell me to stop!  I have that awful habit of getting a new horn every week.  Knock some sense into me!

All and all, this is the most amazing horn I have ever played!!!!  Pant

You can be in Tokyo or Alberta at four in the morning in your hotel and you can still practice if you feel like it. A trombone cannot do that at four in the morning.
jaws241
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:08PM »

sounds to me like you don't need to buy a horn next week..  Evil
DaveAshley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:50PM »

I hope it says "EARL WILLIAMS" and not "EARL WILLIAM" I'd be concerned about a cheap Chinese knockoff  Evil

Is it Burbank? Los Angeles, Donelson? New from Tulsa?

((Oh, and don't I remember you being a part of the Williams-trashing session a couple of weeks ago?))

Leanit
Load of bollox

"How hard could it be?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:06PM »

William.  Yuk, yuk.

Give it a rest, man. Seriously.

"Only one moving part? Easy! Give me that!" - me in 5th grade
onetrombone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:50PM »

Congrats on finding the Williams 6.  They are a bit like hen's teeth...

Is this the horn you bought?  Just curious.   

I had the opportunity to play a williams today :-P at a local gig, and I didn't like how it played.  It was really tight in the upper registers and I felt like I had to push too hard to get some sound out of it.  Air was coming out of my nose from pushing too hard.

It was a Williams 6, looked really nice, but I don't think I would use it as my main axe.  I am sure that it wasn't one of William's best :(

Just goes to show that you need to play before saying you will buy it.  $1200-1600 sounds like a good deal, but I wouldn't spend that much money on that horn, unless I went back in time to get it fixed by the original maker :D

malec

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:38PM »

William.  Yuk, yuk.

Hey Leanit, seriously, this guy Bachbone is a leach and Dave (a long time contributing member) has treated him with more respect than he deserves.

Malec Heermans
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:01PM »

Congrats on finding the Williams 6.  They are a bit like hen's teeth...

Is this the horn you bought?  Just curious.   

No, I didn't buy that horn.  I found another.  Shipped it to me and I loved it.

I played one at a gig and it just wasn't my thing.  The first one I played was just too hard to get air behind.  This one is a totally different horn!

I hope it says "EARL WILLIAMS" and not "EARL WILLIAM" I'd be concerned about a cheap Chinese knockoff  Evil

Is it Burbank? Los Angeles, Donelson? New from Tulsa?

((Oh, and don't I remember you being a part of the Williams-trashing session a couple of weeks ago?))

That was funny!  I was in a rush to get somewhere and I forgot to put the S in Williams Don't know .  Not a China brand at all.  Fixed it though!  Burbank CA

William.  Yuk, yuk.

I don't know what this means.

You can be in Tokyo or Alberta at four in the morning in your hotel and you can still practice if you feel like it. A trombone cannot do that at four in the morning.
Hornman805

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:12PM »

Slightly off topic... I played the Kanstul "Williams" at the NAMM Show and I loved it. One of the best small bore horns I played that day.

1984 Bach LT36BG
2009 Getzen 1052FD Bass
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:41PM »

I talked with John (the Williams King) and he said that the Kanstul Williams are very good remakes of the original. 

If you talk to anyone about Williams horns, ask him!  He knows just about everything about them.  You could easily spend an hour talking with him on the phone!  Amazed

Koz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2009, 04:08AM »

Just got my first Earl Williams Horn  (Model 6)!!!  This horn is a beast, I never would have imagined the sound that this thing produces! All and all, this is the most amazing horn I have ever played!!!!  Pant

Did Jack Teagarden own this horn too???

JJ?

Urbie?

Carl?

Rosolino?

This kids got a million of them.

bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:30AM »

Did Jack Teagarden own this horn too???

JJ?

Urbie?

Carl?

Rosolino?

This kids got a million of them.

I don't have one played by Jack Teagarden.  The one I claimed was actually from a person trying to scam me.  He got away with $5000 of my dollars for a couple of months before I got him.

All I had was his first name and phone number before he changed it.  No bank account, no last name, no info whatsoever except for those two little things.  I got my money back though.  Well, a reasonable amount of money (let the guy have a some money for his horn).

He got his share of detention since the last time I heard.

Leanit
Load of bollox

"How hard could it be?"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:57AM »

Hey Leanit, seriously, this guy Bachbone is a leach and Dave (a long time contributing member) has treated him with more respect than he deserves.

I know it, man. I used to think he was a for-real *****, but now I'm pretty sure it's somebody just messing with us.

"Only one moving part? Easy! Give me that!" - me in 5th grade
jnoxon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:11PM »

The Kanstul is a good horn. But it is not a Williams. Not even the correct alloy/materials were used. Completely different horn. But a good one.

Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer, and don't like it!
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:33PM »

The Williams is a good horn. But it is not a Kanstul.  Evil

Seriously, if you can find a good Williams they're GREAT. But like any hand made horn not all of them are winners.

Earl used cartridge brass which contains very small amounts of tin and lead. Kanstul does not. Many believe that the cartridge brass has alot to do with the Williams characteristic sound. Maybe so. I suspect it's not only the cartridge brass but his excellent design and craftmanship as well.

My Kanstul 1606 is right up there with the very best horns I've ever played. It also happens to be the prototype that Zig built and seems to be, for whatever reason, a very special axe. A real player.

Resonance! Resonance is something that seems to be missing in many new, modern day instruments.

I have an old Martin Committee that I played for thirteen years and it has one of the most resonant sounding bells I've ever played. Lovely!

I quit playing it because the small .484 bore just didn't do the trick anymore. But alas, I recently slapped on my .500 bore 1606 slide to the Martin bell and............ :-0 :D Pant

Aside from the slide not being able to lock up correctly to the Martin bell, it was a good tight fit and every note was in tune. My beloved Committe bell shall be re-born as I now have a 1606 receiver on the way for my repairman to make the change.

My repairman took all of the necessary measurements and says I should be good to go.

I have two 1606 slides, one nickel and one brass. They're both great, just different.

I also have a mint 1953 Martin Indiana bell which I actually like better than the Committee bell. The Indiana is all yellow brass and heavy, whereas the Committee bell is rose brass and heavy.

If all goes well with the Committee bell/Kanstul slide, I'll have the receiver changed on the Indiana too.

Sorry about getting off topic here. But yeah, Williams. GREAT horns.

Scott Bentall Chicago Jazz Orchestra/freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
KazKruszewski

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:28AM »

FYI, there is a Williams on Ebay right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Earl-Williams-Trombone-Jazz-Trombone-Serial-6-814_W0QQitemZ130283864989QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBrass_Instruments?hash=item130283864989&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:16PM »

spit  key //// finish  ---hum  ---

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:21PM »

Exactly!  I will ask some questions to see if it is refurbished, hopefully they will post the answers on the ebay page, if not, I will post them here.

Any guesses to what the price will end up to be?  These are always interesting to watch

lowerlip
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:28PM »

funny too how all the pics are good...except the one with the logo!
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:35PM »

funny too how all the pics are good...except the one with the logo!

Sometimes close up pictures are hard to take.  Maybe he doesn't know how to use his camera.  It could be in the far away setting when he was trying to take a close-up.

I am asking him some questions though.

bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:41PM »

Look real closely to the pics.  on one of them, the date is the 31st.  That is kinda weird especially since the other pictures were taken yesterday, or were they?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 76   Go Up
Print
Jump to: