Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088747 Posts in 71958 Topics- by 19317 Members - Latest Member: Whitewolf07
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Earl Williams Trombone  (Read 385864 times)
tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 11, 2016, 11:20AM »

John,
what's your take on this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earl-Williams-Burbank-Model-10-Double-Rotor-Professional-Bass-Trombone-lot-186-/252362516856?hash=item3ac1fa6978:g:sdYAAOSwujFXF-FF

Looks like Koda...

T.

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1661 on: May 11, 2016, 12:02PM »

That's Koda, all right.

It's the same horn that was pulled from eBay back in February (see postings earlier in this thread). Maybe Koda convinced the seller to do a deal outside eBay?

It'll be interesting to see if Koda gets any bites. New pics, new description, looks like maybe he polished it up a bit. No indication of whether he had any work done to it (or if any was actually needed).

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10PM »

That's Koda, all right.

It's the same horn that was pulled from eBay back in February (see postings earlier in this thread). Maybe Koda convinced the seller to do a deal outside eBay?

It'll be interesting to see if Koda gets any bites. New pics, new description, looks like maybe he polished it up a bit. No indication of whether he had any work done to it (or if any was actually needed).

It was re-listed and sold normally. Listing is gone from time now, but it was allowed to finish normally (second time it was listed).

As I recall it was $3500 plus it had an extra Bach 50 slide that Koda sold separately.

So, to what do we owe the $1K upcharge?
Andy

Andrew Elms
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 11, 2016, 12:37PM »

Beautiful axe but I start to wonder if/fear that these horns are turning into collector's items, especially 8s and 10s. 

If someone buys it because it says "Earl Williams Burbank, CA" on it, and not to play it every day, that to me seems a shame.  If it's priced where that's the ONLY way it's going to be bought, that to me is an even bigger shame.

I'm not making any comment about that listing.  If it's the one, $4500 is a fair price for a bass bone.  I'm just saying, we're flirting with that line. 

-John
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1664 on: May 11, 2016, 01:31PM »

It was re-listed and sold normally. Listing is gone from time now, but it was allowed to finish normally (second time it was listed).
Not gone from time, just moved into the shadows a bit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172113559611

Here's the listing from February:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172103333945

As to the $1,000 price increase? Hard to say. It was out there on eBay for a week at $3,500 and received only one bid - and that was with an additional slide. As I said - it'll be interesting to see how that one plays out. Will having a more polished listing and a more substantial history as a seller be enough to generate bids at that higher price?

I do find it slightly troubling that the current listing makes no mention of the Reynolds valve section.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: May 12, 2016, 05:17AM »

I do find it slightly troubling that the current listing makes no mention of the Reynolds valve section.

That's what I was looking at.
And he mentioned only 12 to exist... I think John Noxon said only 10 - and pretty sure this is not one of them.
Frankenbone? Looks like it.
Worth $4,500? (not to me, I do not think it's the real deal)

T.

Μολὼν λάβε
elmsandr

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 12, 2016, 08:49AM »

That's what I was looking at.
And he mentioned only 12 to exist... I think John Noxon said only 10 - and pretty sure this is not one of them.
Worth $4,500? (not to me, I do not think it's the real deal)

T.
Dunno, I think that count depends on whether or not you count partials (bells) mounted to other horns.  Either way, close enough here.

I have no knowledge that this isn't one of them, it came from California, and there is at least one person here that knew the first seller.  Seems to have some lineage, albeit incomplete.

I darned near picked it up at $3500.  Figured I could use or sell the Bach slide, but I would probably have swapped out the valve section to something more modern/authentic....  So I decided I didn't need a world class horn that I would end up spending $5000 on to play in a community band a few times.  I'd love to see this thing get around to a few masters and hear what it would do in the right hands.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Elms
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1667 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41AM »

I don't think it's a frankenbone as such. Pretty much all of the parts except the valve section look like Williams.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 12, 2016, 12:02PM »

I would probably have swapped out the valve section to something more modern/authentic.... 
Agreed.
I think John Duda, along with Noxon - could put it back as close to original.
That's the way I would like it myself...
The Reynolds valve - that devalues it some IMHO.
And the fact Koda is making $1K (PLUS the Bach slide he kept/sold separately) - devalues it even more.  :D

T.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:55AM by tsmart » Logged

Μολὼν λάβε
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 12, 2016, 02:53PM »

You mean PLUS the Bach slide.

But only if it sells.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 13, 2016, 05:55AM »

You mean PLUS the Bach slide.

But only if it sells.
FIFY  :D

Hi

T.

Μολὼν λάβε
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: Jun 19, 2016, 09:09PM »

a pristine  LA  6    is about to  change hands
 ZAC LEE    probably     but repe  really wants   and is trying to raise  the $$$$$$$
 by selling a MV 12 standard  --offered 17  --dunno  current  value
the LA  IS AT  28 

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
jnoxon

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: Aug 14, 2016, 04:03PM »

I have a couple of Williams model 8 horns. I am gonna let go of one of them. I have already sold both Earl model 8's and have a Bob model 8 I am gonna sell. Its a Burbank horn nickel crook, round not dual radius crooks. It is a lovely horn, plays well slots well and has that typical dark Williams sound! It has a typical fantastic Williams slide!

If anyone is interested please let me know!

Williams Horns since 1969! Model 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Multiples of each...
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: Aug 15, 2016, 09:11AM »

hey  john  benn said you were looking for a bach 8 mpc==i have a  ny  faded gold plate
---------
and you may be  visiting   this are  sometime 
----------
also  williams news  newell sheridan  replaced  the worn out[somebody played it]  on his williams  bass  reynolds  --he asked for  parts
well i found  not one  but TWO  dependent reynolds  -bob hester took his apart cleaned it all up and newell had it abt  5 seconds before
putting  it bach together  ///THEN   a forum member asked if i had any  parts for his old  reynolds bass --ha ha call newell
=======
meanwhile i there are 4  model 6s avvailable -- earl and  jay
AND  a  4  will  probably be  coming up  available

I have a couple of Williams model 8 horns. I am gonna let go of one of them. I have already sold both Earl model 8's and have a Bob model 8 I am gonna sell. Its a Burbank horn nickel crook, round not dual radius crooks. It is a lovely horn, plays well slots well and has that typical dark Williams sound! It has a typical fantastic Williams slide!

If anyone is interested please let me know!

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
jnoxon

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: Aug 16, 2016, 02:09PM »

Actually an Old New York 9 is what I would like to find. We were going on a road trip but it got sidelined just after it started. So we will be back there prolly next year around March. Hope we can stop by and see you! Gonna be in that general area of Illinois!

Williams Horns since 1969! Model 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Multiples of each...
Jhereg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1675 on: Aug 16, 2016, 09:57PM »

ZAC LEE    probably     but repe  really wants   and is trying to raise  the $$$$$$$
the LA  IS AT  28 

I'm possibly interested, got a contact for it?

"Passion is born from earnestness.
Miracles have value precisely because you cause them."
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: Sep 09, 2016, 10:25PM »

another rare WILLIAMS IS ABOUT TO  TO CHANGE HANDS
  A MODEL 6  L.A.    SET  PRICE BY WILLIAMS  CLUB  2600
   ADDITIONAL  PROVENANCE--STAN KENTON  //original case//trombone stand/mute in  super crisp original paint /mpc
     and  documentation  ADD  250
=======================================================
 going to  MEGAN  -a player in the RINGLING RED   UNIT 
-------
news travels fast      --i got a  messenger from BRETT BARLOW   --and the seller  within  minutes
--------------------------------------------------
   the WILLIAMS CLUB  and this thread  are the  most assured  source  for  buyers  and sellers  of these wonderful instruments 
some  buyers have overpaid  for  the  older   models    in  momentary  loss  of  all caution in  emotional states  of  enchantment
  only to awake   with  a faded  dream    --a  brazen goddess    whose    expensive  kiss   left   wanting
    an ephemeral  hope  dashed  upon the  rocks   like a rudderless   sailing ship
----------
   of course  there  have been certain  oldies  untried silveren     bell tuning  lovlies  retubed  by  john sandhagen 
  for troy that went  as a complete  bargain    total  incredible   deal
 sold cheep  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------- some come  for advice  thinking they have   model  4   but  is   not    a model    4 

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
Jhereg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1677 on: Sep 09, 2016, 10:29PM »

the LA  IS AT  28 

Coming my way, thank you BiggieSmalls. It will get some exercise with me on the road.
Can't wait to compare it to the Minick.

dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: Sep 10, 2016, 05:09AM »

another rare WILLIAMS IS ABOUT TO  TO CHANGE HANDS
  A MODEL 6  L.A.    SET  PRICE BY WILLIAMS  CLUB  2600
   ADDITIONAL  PROVENANCE--STAN KENTON  //original case//trombone stand/mute in  super crisp original paint /mpc
     and  documentation  ADD  250
 going to  MEGAN  -a player in the RINGLING RED   UNIT  
-------
news travels fast      --i got a  messenger from BRETT BARLOW   --and the seller  within  minutes
   the WILLIAMS CLUB  and this thread  are the  most assured  source  for  buyers  and sellers  of these wonderful instruments  
some  buyers have overpaid  for  the  older   models    in  momentary  loss  of  all caution in  emotional states  of  enchantment
  only to awake   with  a faded  dream    --a  brazen goddess    whose    expensive  kiss   left   wanting
    an ephemeral  hope  dashed  upon the  rocks   like a rudderless   sailing ship
----------
   of course  there  have been certain  oldies  untried silveren     bell tuning  lovlies  retubed  by  john sandhagen  
  for troy that went  as a complete  bargain    total  incredible   deal
 sold cheep  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------- some come  for advice  thinking they have   model  4   but  is   not    a model    4  

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
Jhereg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1679 on: Sep 10, 2016, 06:47AM »

another rare WILLIAMS IS ABOUT TO  TO CHANGE HANDS
  A MODEL 6  L.A.    SET  PRICE BY WILLIAMS  CLUB  2600
   ADDITIONAL  PROVENANCE--STAN KENTON  //original case//trombone stand/mute in  super crisp original paint /mpc
     and  documentation  ADD  250
 going to  MEGAN  -a player in the RINGLING RED   UNIT  
-------
news travels fast      --i got a  messenger from BRETT BARLOW   --and the seller  within  minutes
   the WILLIAMS CLUB  and this thread  are the  most assured  source  for  buyers  and sellers  of these wonderful instruments  
some  buyers have overpaid  for  the  older   models    in  momentary  loss  of  all caution in  emotional states  of  enchantment
  only to awake   with  a faded  dream    --a  brazen goddess    whose    expensive  kiss   left   wanting
    an ephemeral  hope  dashed  upon the  rocks   like a rudderless   sailing ship
----------
   of course  there  have been certain  oldies  untried silveren     bell tuning  lovlies  retubed  by  john sandhagen  
  for troy that went  as a complete  bargain    total  incredible   deal
 sold cheep  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------- some come  for advice  thinking they have   model  4   but  is   not    a model    4  

"News travels fast" but hasn't it been for sale for a few months now?? People can only stand temptation for so long :-P

Everything these days leaves an "expensive kiss". Whether it'll "leave me wanting" or not I'll know soon...and if it does you'll probably see it here again :)

Off to work!

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88   Go Up
Print
Jump to: