Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

953206 Posts in 62936 Topics- by 15303 Members - Latest Member: Suman Entertainment Group
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Earl Williams Trombone  (Read 229951 times)
The Sheriff

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: Jul 10, 2013, 06:59PM »

Makes sense, but in the case of the 1606 proto, it uses the model 750 bell to hand slide receiver whereas the production model uses its own Williams type of receiver. The proto also has a heavier nickel hand slide as compared to the production model.

The production models are very good, but the prototype I have is a very special horn.

Scott Bentall Chicago Jazz Orchestra/freelance
No pressure=No sound=No gigs
---------------------------------------------
Kanstul 1606 (prototype)
mr.deacon

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: Jul 10, 2013, 09:10PM »

Makes sense, but in the case of the 1606 proto, it uses the model 750 bell to hand slide receiver whereas the production model uses its own Williams type of receiver. The proto also has a heavier nickel hand slide as compared to the production model.

The production models are very good, but the prototype I have is a very special horn.
I feel the same about Kanstul prototypes. I have a later prototype Kanstul 975 Euphonium that plays completely different from the production ones. Their prototypes just seem to play with more character then their production models.

Holton TR 185 1960's, Laskey 93D
Getzen 1062FDR 2000's, Laskey 93D
Kanstul 970 2010, Doug Elliott XT
Kanstul 975 Euph 2007, 11inch GB Bell, Doug Elliott XT
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: Jul 11, 2013, 07:15AM »

I'm a big believer in heavy hand slides... particularly the grip... when this stuff is heavy the horn just pops...

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
CharlieB

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:31AM »

I posted this over in "Mouthpieces" and got no response, so I thought I'd try here.

I came across an old Earl Strickler mouthpiece. I understand that Earl Strickler worked with Earl Williams. Anybody on this board have information about the mouthpiece?

An empty barrel makes the most noise.
CharlieB

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: Jul 11, 2013, 09:48AM »

Hi all,

Is there a trombone out there that's readily available that blows somewhat like a Williams 6?  How about a Bach 12 or King 2B?

Aloha,
Richard

Kanstul built me a 1606 with a heavy weight, unsoldered bell and a brass handslide.
WOW!! I play the 1606 every day, while the Bach 12, the King 2B Silvertone, and the Shires 500 gather dust on their stands.

An empty barrel makes the most noise.
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1465 on: Jul 11, 2013, 11:15AM »

I posted this over in "Mouthpieces" and got no response, so I thought I'd try here.

I came across an old Earl Strickler mouthpiece. I understand that Earl Strickler worked with Earl Williams. Anybody on this board have information about the mouthpiece?

I'm afraid the silence you're getting is because none of us knows anything. I own a Strickler trombone, and I've seen a few others (less than a handful), but that's about it. Never seen a Strickler mouthpiece.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: Jul 12, 2013, 06:00AM »

I have two Earl Williams mpc's. If that helps any.

Both are # 2's.

T.

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: Jul 31, 2013, 11:41AM »

any  model  8   on the market  now ??????????????????

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Chris Barber

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: Aug 21, 2013, 12:33PM »

Hi to the Williams fans.........I have played trombone professionally now for 60 years
and am a definite Williams (Burbank, that is!) fan.......I saw a reference to Jack Teagarden among the many messages on file and I can confirm that he played a Burbank model 6.......I met him when I was co-director of the National Jazz Federation of Great Britain......We had arranged for Tea to bring an all-star combo over here for a concert tour....it included Max Kaminsky Earl Hines Cozy Cole Jack Lesberg and during their tour I interrupted our own tour to visit Jack's Concert a couple of days after our Concert at the same venue in Bradford, England...My then wife, singer Ottilie Patterson joined me that day and we were shocked to find Jack and a couple of others had apparently caught an influenza epidemic and were very happy for us to join in and take some of the strain!......Jack lent me his model 6 and I was hooked within 10 minutes!........For many years I never found a Williams in England but a couple of years ago I did.......A Burbank model 4  and later a 2019 mpdel 6 from Tennessee (slide only Williams)......The mpdel 4 is fine...........
I attach a ohoto from September 27 1957 at London Airport with myself, Ottilie and
you-knpw-who....I treasure this picture..........I last saw Jack in New Orleans when we had a concert there and Jack had a week in a big club on Bourbon Street.
Greetings to all trombone lovers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Chris Barber
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: Aug 21, 2013, 12:40PM »

Hi to the Williams fans.........I have played trombone professionally now for 60 years
and am a definite Williams (Burbank, that is!) fan.......I saw a reference to Jack Teagarden among the many messages on file and I can confirm that he played a Burbank model 6.......I met him when I was co-director of the National Jazz Federation of Great Britain......We had arranged for Tea to bring an all-star combo over here for a concert tour....it included Max Kaminsky Earl Hines Cozy Cole Jack Lesberg and during their tour I interrupted our own tour to visit Jack's Concert a couple of days after our Concert at the same venue in Bradford, England...My then wife, singer Ottilie Patterson joined me that day and we were shocked to find Jack and a couple of others had apparently caught an influenza epidemic and were very happy for us to join in and take some of the strain!......Jack lent me his model 6 and I was hooked within 10 minutes!........For many years I never found a Williams in England but a couple of years ago I did.......A Burbank model 4  and later a 2019 mpdel 6 from Tennessee (slide only Williams)......The mpdel 4 is fine...........
I attach a ohoto from September 27 1957 at London Airport with myself, Ottilie and
you-knpw-who....I treasure this picture..........I last saw Jack in New Orleans when we had a concert there and Jack had a week in a big club on Bourbon Street.

Welcome to the forum! I've been a follower of you and your big band for years, especially with YouTube videos. I like the latest version with you and Bob Ironside on trombone and Bert Brandsma on Sax/Clarinet.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: Aug 21, 2013, 02:12PM »

Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant
WOW   CHRIS  BARBER 
 SLIDIN SELENA
   ANTIQUE  SIX  !!!!!!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: Aug 21, 2013, 02:13PM »

LA  6    SOLD
===========
NOW BROKERING    A BURBANK  MODEL 8  --worked on by john duda   --on left coast

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
Bach42BOS

"i'm always tired... zzZzzzzZ...."

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: Sep 07, 2013, 03:48PM »

Spent a wonderful morning listening to Chris Amemiya play through my Williams'. Man, that guy sounds amazing on any horn he plays! We took a couple of videos, one of him playing the bass trumpet and the other playing my 6. Hopefully he posts them up when he has a chance!

Earl Williams FTW
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: Sep 07, 2013, 09:39PM »

placed    a ''bob''  8
located  another   8   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: Sep 12, 2013, 05:28AM »

Well, I've officially joined the club!  I'm now in possession of a Donelson Williams Model 4, having acquired it from Rob Skanse of the Army Band, who in turn acquired it from Rick Lillard of the Airmen of Note, its original owner (what a history!).   

I know that the Donelson horns don't fetch as much cash or love as the Burbank models, but this horn is one of the best, if not the best, trombone I've ever played in my life.  I feel like a cheating husband or something, but upon playing once I immediately agreed to buy it and haven't really played my Yamaha since. 

It's unlacquered, with no dings or scrapes, and the slide is in A1 shape.  This horn gets a beautiful sound with powerful low and middle overtones, and has a very even curve to the highs when I start to push it.  It's not as bright as my Yamaha but just as responsive and somehow MORE even  :-0.  It's also the "cleanest" sounding unlacquered horn I've ever played. 

I've played some Model 6s of various eras and conditions and have never been particularly infatuated by them.  I always thought they were just not my style.  But this horn is my style.  It sounds like a much bigger horn but feels like a zippy pea-shooter (in all the best ways).  In short, it does everything that I want.  I'm going to grab a nice BAM case for it and play it non-stop for the foreseeable future. 

It's glorious!   

-John
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: Sep 12, 2013, 06:00AM »

I'm glad you got that horn.  I have its twin, Rick and I bought them at the same time, except mine is almost new condition.  It's a great horn but the ,490 bore size is just too small for me.  Eventually I'll be offering it for sale...

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: Sep 12, 2013, 06:01AM »

congrats on the  4  !!!!!!!!!!!  they are  prized  even above  most  6s   -esp  by dixie  players  
  when you find a model 6 bach that fits it is the same  kind of  feeling  
the word from john noxon is that the latest  builds  from oregon are really   great
  -----
i brokered 2   model 4s    one at 4k  another at 4.5 k
  one from dick drewitz  who plays  w  woody  the actor
 ----------
john  sent me a  very early  one   with tiny bore and  bell  about size of a trumpet  in the original case  
  ------
this thread has become a ''resource''  !!!!!

Well, I've officially joined the club!  I'm now in possession of a Donelson Williams Model 4, having acquired it from Rob Skanse of the Army Band, who in turn acquired it from Rick Lillard of the Airmen of Note, its original owner (what a history!).   

I know that the Donelson horns don't fetch as much cash or love as the Burbank models, but this horn is one of the best, if not the best, trombone I've ever played in my life.  I feel like a cheating husband or something, but upon playing once I immediately agreed to buy it and haven't really played my Yamaha since. 

It's unlacquered, with no dings or scrapes, and the slide is in A1 shape.  This horn gets a beautiful sound with powerful low and middle overtones, and has a very even curve to the highs when I start to push it.  It's not as bright as my Yamaha but just as responsive and somehow MORE even  :-0.  It's also the "cleanest" sounding unlacquered horn I've ever played. 

I've played some Model 6s of various eras and conditions and have never been particularly infatuated by them.  I always thought they were just not my style.  But this horn is my style.  It sounds like a much bigger horn but feels like a zippy pea-shooter (in all the best ways).  In short, it does everything that I want.  I'm going to grab a nice BAM case for it and play it non-stop for the foreseeable future. 

It's glorious!   

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
wmbryant

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: Nov 01, 2013, 12:29PM »

I'm hoping someone can help, I'm trying to value the trombone that I have. Its a Williams from LA. Has the fancy engraving on the bell and an arrowhead counterweight. The only other markings on it is on the connection wherr the slide connects it has an M with 6 S 1 underneath and on the slide handle it has 1733452. Any help would be great!

Thanks
Billy
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: Nov 01, 2013, 12:51PM »

patent  number ///
arrowhead =older
probably  m= model 6 
bell  7 1/2  ?????????????????????????
case /mouthpiece/accessories //history   ??????????????????????

I'm hoping someone can help, I'm trying to value the trombone that I have. Its a Williams from LA. Has the fancy engraving on the bell and an arrowhead counterweight. The only other markings on it is on the connection wherr the slide connects it has an M with 6 S 1 underneath and on the slide handle it has 1733452. Any help would be great!

Thanks
Billy

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
wmbryant

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: Nov 01, 2013, 01:13PM »

7.5 inch bell. Don't know much of the history my parents got it from an older lady when I was a freshman in highschool. She said her husband bought it new from what she remembered but I don't know who he was. It looks like an original or at least original style case with green satin in it. The tuning is on the back curve and it is a friction fit. Sorry I don't know more it played great I just wasn't a great player so I stuck to string instruments where I belonged :-)
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78   Go Up
Print
Jump to: