Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087144 Posts in 71990 Topics- by 19239 Members - Latest Member: Hackercraft792
Jump to:  
Poll
Question: What was the highest rank that you earned in the Boy Scouts?
I was only in the Cub Scouts - 23 (28%)
Tenderfoot - 9 (11%)
Second Class - 5 (6.1%)
First Class - 7 (8.5%)
Star - 5 (6.1%)
Life - 15 (18.3%)
Eagle - 14 (17.1%)
Eagle Palms - 4 (4.9%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Boy Scout Ranks  (Read 9073 times)
metalhead\m/

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:36AM »

i never became an actual boyscout, i was a cubscout and looking for troops to join.  I went camping with a couple different troops but they all kinda scared the crap out of me so i felt that i dodged a bullet

peace, love, and music
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2009, 03:06PM »

I was second class...barely...just enough to be allowed on the canoe trips.

My son (14) just got his Life and just has a couple of merit badges and a project to get Eagle.  He frequently reminds me of my rank...I remind him that he pays no rent...yet.

I would hope that people choose an Eagle project that has a sincere and lasting value...but I understand that at 17 and 11/12s ANY project starts to look good.

We just got back from a trip to Joshua Natl park.  They boys kept finding big horn sheep dropping...which tells you they may have been higher up in the rock than I was comfortable with :-0

Summer of '01 we are going to Philmont.  Our troop has been very fortunate, 04, 06, 08 also...I have to figure out how to go 12 days without a beer and hike 100 miles in flip flops...

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2009, 03:24PM »

I wish they had the trombone merit badge!  but I guess it all revolves around the bugle!  Pant

Hey John, at least you got to 2nd class!  Some barely even pass tenderfoot!

You can be in Tokyo or Alberta at four in the morning in your hotel and you can still practice if you feel like it. A trombone cannot do that at four in the morning.
woulverine
Defender of the Pav

"That shouldnt be there"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2009, 06:26PM »

I went right trough from Keas (6-8) through cubs to scouts, went to two New Zealand Jamborees but drifted out of it as other things came along later on.

Down in this part of the world we have two organizations, The Scout Association and Girl Guides. And the top awards here are Chief Scout and Queen (or King depending on the reighning monarch) Scout award. Cheif Scout is about the highest award youth members can attain while the queen scout is for rovers who have worked through the system. the  Queen Scout award is to be completed before the age of 21.

Ian Wiley

Trombone, Manukau City Concert Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:24PM »

I wish they had the trombone merit badge!  but I guess it all revolves around the bugle!  Pant

Hey John, at least you got to 2nd class!  Some barely even pass tenderfoot!

When I was a Boy Scout (remember, I participated in the 50th Anniversary Exposition!) we had a Music merit badge, and i played 3 tunes on trombone.  I also had to demonstrate how to read treble clef ( :-0 :-0 :-0 ).  The stuff I played would probably not tax a 4th grader, but it got me the merit badge.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:45PM »

When I was a Boy Scout (remember, I participated in the 50th Anniversary Exposition!) we had a Music merit badge, and i played 3 tunes on trombone.  I also had to demonstrate how to read treble clef ( :-0 :-0 :-0 ).  The stuff I played would probably not tax a 4th grader, but it got me the merit badge.

The music merit badge?  I wish they had a trombone merit badge!  The counselors wouldn't let me use my trombone for a bugle!  I can't believe that!  Don't know

You can be in Tokyo or Alberta at four in the morning in your hotel and you can still practice if you feel like it. A trombone cannot do that at four in the morning.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:52PM »

The music merit badge?  I wish they had a trombone merit badge!  The counselors wouldn't let me use my trombone for a bugle!  I can't believe that!  Don't know

Interesting.  I was permitted to play Taps for my father on my alto trombone (and I asked his Veterans' Organization in advance).

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:00PM »

Interesting.  I was permitted to play Taps for my father on my alto trombone (and I asked his Veterans' Organization in advance).

I guess that some people have different standards than others.  Matter of fact, some people call trombones trumpets and trumpets bugles, so what is the difference?

Served as the troop bugler for a while, and brought my trombone to a hike or 2.  Kinda fun especially when people pass you by and give you weird confused looks.   Confused

They asked me to play reveille on trombone for a cub scout flag raising ceremony.  Well... At least it isn't the end of the world...

evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:38PM »

The counselors wouldn't let me use my trombone for a bugle!  I can't believe that!  Don't know
Bugles aren't that hard to play for trombonists are actually kind of fun. Get over it! ;-)

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:51PM »

Bugles aren't that hard to play for trombonists are actually kind of fun. Get over it! ;-)

I guess you are right, but it would be so much cooler with a trombone!   Good!

tbone421998

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:19AM »

While I was only a Cub Scout, my trombone playing son was an Eagle and my tuba playing step-son did everything but his Eagle project.  Just couldn't talk him into doing his project. 

3rd T-Bone in Great Hills Baptist Church Orchestra
3rd T-Bone in Joe Roger's Big Band
Notice a pattern, I just love 3rd Bone parts.
Woolworth

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:38AM »

I came into Scouting a little late (7th grade) and made it to Life before I mustered out.  My first Merit Badge was "Music".

Rich Woolworth
Trombonist, Composer, Arranger, Clinician, Bandleader

www.matrixmusic.com
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:54AM »

I helped my son make a bugle from parts around the shop...cornet bell, a couple of 3B crooks, etc...in Eb with a glow in the dark Kelly 12C...that I cut about 1/4" of the rim to make it shallower.  Works good, more of an English wide throated bugle sound as opposed to the trumpety standard bugle.  No tuning slide...no point, no other Eb bugles to play in tune with and the G (standard) or Bb would be weird in parrallel 3rds or 5ths...

Woulverine, we have a scout that spent a year in Scotland...cool for him (neat uniform!), but unfortunately the rank/award systems are completely different.  He has to redo quite a few things...

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:30AM »

I brought my trombone to Youth Conservation Corps camp in 1976, and played taps for my fellow campers (who thought I was a few bricks short of a load, but then I wasn't the one standing out on the cabin porch in my underwear).  Unfortunately, I had to stop when threatened by U-M forestry students who were ALSO using the camp grounds (Camp Filibert Roth, on the shores of Golden Lake near Iron River MI).

Daniel De Kok
Principal, Warminster (PA) Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
Michael Beck

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:47PM »

I had a rather interesting time earning my Eagle. I had the fun time of planning two projects (but only did one). I originally had spent about a year planning a project to build a handicap ramp to the building I had scout meetings in. After I had the plans finished, the people stopped returning phone calls. So with three months until I turned 18, I started a new project. Ended up making picnic tables and some benches (how stereotypical...) for a local school. All of this in the middle of winter in my garage. Not the most fun experience, but looking back it was totally worth it.
grock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 03:36AM »

Eagle Scout w/ two silver palms.  Vigil Honor Member of The Order of the Arrow. Was  Chapter Chief 1980-81, Lodge Chief 1981-82. NESA class of '79. Charter member of "Presidents Chapter" of NESA.
Yep, I was a real Scout Geek...lol

Gregory Rock
djdekok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 05:44AM »

I was second class...barely...just enough to be allowed on the canoe trips.

My son (14) just got his Life and just has a couple of merit badges and a project to get Eagle.  He frequently reminds me of my rank...I remind him that he pays no rent...yet.

I would hope that people choose an Eagle project that has a sincere and lasting value...but I understand that at 17 and 11/12s ANY project starts to look good.

We just got back from a trip to Joshua Natl park.  They boys kept finding big horn sheep dropping...which tells you they may have been higher up in the rock than I was comfortable with :-0

Summer of '01 we are going to Philmont.  Our troop has been very fortunate, 04, 06, 08 also...I have to figure out how to go 12 days without a beer and hike 100 miles in flip flops...

hey if Jesus could do it... :D

Daniel De Kok
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
John S. Lipton
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08PM »

You know what Michael Moore, Donald Rumsfeld and Winton Marcalis have in common? They were all Eagle Scouts.

I was never a boy scout. I was more interested in my personal endeavours than to join any group. However, I have to ask - what is an "Eagle Palm" rank? I saw it on the poll.
bachbone
Sing Sing Sing!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 01:56PM »

There are required merit badges and "elective" Merritt badges required for Eagle.

To get an Eagle Palm, you have to do 5 more Merit badges above Eagle.  There are only 3 palms.  Bronz, Gold, Silver, but if you overachieve, you can get two of the same ones.

djdekok

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: Apr 05, 2017, 02:28PM »

my 13-year old is First Class and will hit Star some time this summer.  His old man only made 2nd class but went to Philmont anyway... :D

My radlib brother made Star but quit soon after--it wasn't cool to be with the "little kids".  Now for him it isn't PC...

UPDATE: My son made Eagle in 2013, and is in his Junior Year at Indiana University of PA.

Daniel De Kok
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: