Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087144 Posts in 71990 Topics- by 19239 Members - Latest Member: Hackercraft792
Jump to:  
Poll
Question: What was the highest rank that you earned in the Boy Scouts?
I was only in the Cub Scouts - 23 (28%)
Tenderfoot - 9 (11%)
Second Class - 5 (6.1%)
First Class - 7 (8.5%)
Star - 5 (6.1%)
Life - 15 (18.3%)
Eagle - 14 (17.1%)
Eagle Palms - 4 (4.9%)
Total Voters: 79

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Boy Scout Ranks  (Read 9075 times)
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07:32PM »

Cub Scout, Webelos, Boy Scout through Life rank. OA Brotherhood.  Joined a fire department Explorer post, spent my time there and so didn't get Eagle.  I use something I learned in Scouting every day.  Funny story - on a college retreat the engineering students tried for half an hour to get the fireplace going.  Went through a pile of matches, some paper - no luck.  Me, the liberal arts/music major, got a roaring fire going in five minutes with one match.   :D

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
largobone

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07:44PM »

I'm currently a Life Scout, hoping to get my Eagle by the end of this summer. All that's left to go is a project and just a few merit badges still. Cit World, Communication, Personal fitness, and personal management I believe

2013 Yamaha Xeno 882O-Schilke 52
1939/1940 King 2B Liberty-Bach Corp. 6
2015 Wessex PE480 Alto
1905 Boosey Class A Euph-Wick SM4M
1961 Conn 14J Eb Tuba-Vincent DFL
1960 Conn 11J BBb Tuba-Helleberg

Des Moines Youth Symphony-Bass Tbn
All-State Orch
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 05, 2017, 09:42PM »

I remember my scouting days with a great deal of happy nostalgia. I was a Cub, an Air Scout and a Senior Scout. I was a Patrol Leader in the Scouts. I even influenced my Dad into becoming a Scout Master due to his wartime military experience as a Physical Training and Drill Instructor. However, I do not remember the ranks as outlined in this Poll being considered of great importance in Britain of the early 1950s. In fact, I do not even remember those ranks of Life, Eagle and Eagle Palms. The emphasis was more on social activities (camps, sport and outings), making friends, fun, community work and discipline. One would be mildly interested on how many badges a fellow Scout had on his sleeve but it was not a great guide to whether he was a good guy or not. I do remember that the highest award in the Senior Scouts was a Queen's or King's Scout but I can understand why the American Scouting Movement would not have that particular rank. ;-)

I certainly credit my time in the Boy Scouts with giving me the confidence and organizational experience to tackle a wide variety of different jobs and management positions in later adult life.

I am not so sure in today’s Britain that the Scouting Movement has the same drawing power as it did in my day. I am also not sure what I think about ‘The Boy Scouts Association’ now being ‘The Scouts Association’ with girls making up 25% of participants. :D

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
discus nerd

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Apr 06, 2017, 03:04AM »

Eagle 1972 One of the best things I ever did. Highly recommended.
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: Apr 06, 2017, 07:53AM »

Loved cub scouts.

But the local boy scout troop I was in was very dysfunctional to say the least. Very little if any adult supervision. I hated it.
MikeBMiller
Best trombone player on my street.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 06, 2017, 10:58AM »

I was a 3 year Tenderfoot. Lost interest in Scouts about the time I started playing trombone in 7th grade.  And my dad died about the same time, so I didn't really have anyone to push me to go further. But I was my troop's bugler for a while. I actually feel sorry for those folks that had to listen to me play bugle badly at all those meetings. My nephew got his Eagle a few years back. I think scouting is a great thing.
djdekok

"Monsters Eat Whiny Children"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: Apr 06, 2017, 12:48PM »

I'm currently a Life Scout, hoping to get my Eagle by the end of this summer. All that's left to go is a project and just a few merit badges still. Cit World, Communication, Personal fitness, and personal management I believe

Good!

Daniel De Kok
Principal, Warminster (PA) Symphony Orchestra
B.M. Michigan
M.M. Western Michigan
M.S.L.S. Clarion
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: