Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1061337 Posts in 70659 Topics- by 18472 Members - Latest Member: emikulak
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Christan Griego shows you how to clean a slide  (Read 27244 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:50AM »

This is a 7 minute video from Edwards Instruments on how to clean a slide.  Demonstrated by Christan himself.  I'd embed it here, but I couldn't find the information so you'll have to go there.

http://www.edwards-instruments.com/blog/2009/02/edwards-videos-on-youtube/

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Joshua Brown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:56AM »

Thanks, Bruce.  There are many more on the way.

Joshua Brown
www.bassbone.com
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:56AM »

I'd embed it here, but I couldn't find the information so you'll have to go there.

Click on the video while it's playing, and you get to the YouTube page, where you can grab the embedding information.

Embedded:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-5qYuIlrh0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0-5qYuIlrh0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:08AM »

which kind of glass cleaner should i use?  is windex fine (blue) or should i find something clear.  i figure one of you guys would know which to avoid...'

Z

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
bob tromboneguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:02AM »

I use slide o mix on my Edwards slide and it works great. I clean it once about every 3 or 4 months. It goes just great. Maybe my slide is a freak. :D

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:56AM »

I vote Freak Bob... :D

What Christian says about SOM goes for all slides...just not all people.

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
bob tromboneguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2009, 12:05PM »

Bad dog.  No Biscuits.

Bad dog, no biscuits.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2009, 12:16PM »

Would never have considered the spike without the set... :D

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
bonehead37

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 05:10PM »

I've always had the impression you should only lube the stockings..........I'm looking forward to trying Christian's advice to lube the entire inner slide.

And I've always used lighter fluid to clean the outer slide and the inside and outside of the inner slide, because it's a solvent and dissolves all kinds of lubricating products, not to mention the crud that gets inside the inner slide.  Glass cleaner seems worth a try, but I've been very happy with the results of lighter fluid.  Must admit I've never seen anyone else use it!

I'm a bit puzzled that the video doesn't address cleaning the inside of the inner slide. I don't think dry cloth would cut it.
JBledsoe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 06:40PM »

I'm a bit puzzled that the video doesn't address cleaning the inside of the inner slide. I don't think dry cloth would cut it.

Dry cloth cuts it absolutely. If you arent leaving your horn sitting for long period of time, whatever is growing inside your inner slide is going to stay pretty moist. I clean the inside of the inners with the same method Christian shows for the outers, just with a smaller width piece of cloth and no spray.

Josh Bledsoe
Presidio Brass
Missouri Symphony Orchestra
Principal Trombone

-----------------------
www.JoshBledsoe.com
sfatbn07

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 09:35AM »

I've always heard of, and use, cheese cloth when cleaning my slides but I've got a fellow student who uses the Slid-O-Mix brand cleaning cloth that you slide over the cleaning rod. Anyone have any opinions about that product?
DanJaffe
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 09:49AM »

I've always heard of, and use, cheese cloth when cleaning my slides but I've got a fellow student who uses the Slid-O-Mix brand cleaning cloth that you slide over the cleaning rod. Anyone have any opinions about that product?

It's real easy to use. Easier than wrapping the rod. Works about as well.
Frodo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 10:10AM »

I addition to Dan's comment I would like to add that even though I use SuperSlick, I would not be without the Slide-O-Mix cleaning cloth for quick weekly buffing of the inside of the outer slide. No matter what slide lubricant you use it is really nice to have.

Practice, Practice, Practice...
By their fruits shall you know them.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. - Winston Churchill
SilverBone
Put the Cool in "Coulisse!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 02:38PM »

I think the Slide-O-Mix cleaning rod is great.  I have it in both sizes.  Much easier to use than wrapping cheesecloth around a standard cleaning rod - I clean my horns more frequently because of it.

It's not just for cleaning Slide-O-Mix off - I use Trombotine.

-Howard

The nastiest fellow I've known
Smashed his trombone and ruined its tone.
There's a simple excuse
For his slush pump abuse:
He was born to be bad to the bone.
mikeburger87

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2009, 12:50PM »

Anyone got an opinion about some new yamaha slide stuff that came out? My trombone teacher, Rusty Mckinney got some and uses it on his edwards, says it works great. i use it on my horns too, i just dont know how much it will build up junk. Anyone know?
tobias02134

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 31, 2009, 06:21PM »

Does anyone know of any methods to clean the crook? Would a snake brush be dangerous?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2009, 06:38PM »

Does anyone know of any methods to clean the crook? Would a snake brush be dangerous?

You have to grab the snake just behind the head ...

Oh, you mean that  snake. ;-)

It's intended for the crook.  That's part of the extended cleaning you can find on the Online Trombone Journal article "Keep it Clean", which covers the bath and the brush out.

Bruce Guttman
KingMan

"Onward and Upward"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2009, 03:06PM »

Instead of the typical cleaning rod, I bought a couple of rifle/shotgun cleaning kits at Wal-Mart for $10 each. The cleaning swabs that screw onto the end of the rod come in several diameters. I've used everything from a dry swab to water to Brasso to clean the inside of both the outer and inner slides.

The advantage is that you don't have to mess with cheese cloth. Clean the swab, let it dry and you're good to go.

Joel

Conn 100H
Conn 44H Vocabell
Bernd Vollers Custom Convertible
Olds Ambassador (Fullerton)
Olds Recording (Los Angeles)
MPC: Harrison Wedge 5GS
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2009, 07:27PM »

Instead of the typical cleaning rod, I bought a couple of rifle/shotgun cleaning kits at Wal-Mart for $10 each. The cleaning swabs that screw onto the end of the rod come in several diameters. I've used everything from a dry swab to water to Brasso to clean the inside of both the outer and inner slides.

The advantage is that you don't have to mess with cheese cloth. Clean the swab, let it dry and you're good to go.

Joel

Just be careful.  I also use a shotgun rod.

Always twist the rod in a clockwise direction, whether inserting or withdrawing.  You never want to turn counterclockwise, unless you have a good repairman handy to remove the mop or patches that are stuck inside.

Bruce Guttman
ncmike1
"I'm your Huckleberry"

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2009, 10:33AM »

I had my slide done by the Slide Doctor (John Upchurch), and I watched as he just used old sheets, ripped them into strips and wrapped that around the rod to clean the outer slide.  He's the expert, so I don't think it's necessary to use cheesecloth or fancy SOM cleaning cloth.  I've been using ripped sheets, or buy bulk muslin and they work just fine.  I usually run the wrapped rod through the outer slide before every rehearsal or performance, wipe my inner slide with a microfiber towel, and apply SOM.  Spray a little water, and smooth as silk every time.  Takes me less than 5 minutes to do this.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: