Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076807 Posts in 71386 Topics- by 18949 Members - Latest Member: sfdubbler
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Christan Griego shows you how to clean a slide  (Read 28930 times)
2olbones

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sep 12, 2015, 11:39AM »

Call me crazy but I use alcohol, which works great to clear out any Slide-o-mix residue, and clean inside the inners as well as the inside of the lead pipe (which is usually unspeakably dirty).   I clean every two weeks, follow up with a Brass Brush to get any lint residue out, relube with SOM and go play!  Never use anything but distilled water, even in the bone bottle.

Dave (aka Sam) Tribble
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Oct 17, 2015, 02:00PM »

I use alcohol too.  Usually a shot-glass full of single malt to sip while I get to cleaning my slide. Good!

For that, I use a method very similar to Christian's, except I use a 1/4" wooden dowel with a nice rounded tip on it instead of the metal rod.  I also use 'J'-cloths instead of the cheese cloth.  Very similar fabric and they cost me nothing.  My wife buys them for cleaning purposes.  Evil  But I like the medical gauze idea.  I usually do a full cleaning once a month or more frequently if the slide gets sluggish.  I do an inner slide wipe down before each lubrication.

For lubricant, I have just about everything (coldcream, SuperSlick (old and new), Trombotine, SoM, SoM Comfort) and I switch back and forth with them from time to time between cleanings.  They all work great, but I have used something better (more on that later).  I have never had a problem with any build-up of any kind.

As for the best lubricant ever?  Well, back in school I used to use a Johnson product called Clean 'n' Shine on the advice of our band director to clean our instruments.  I once tried it on the slide, and wow!  Insanely good!  A tiny spritz would last for about 20 hours of playing (about a week or so back then).  Although a tiny amount was all you needed, it was almost impossible to put too much on.  Unfortunately Johnson stopped making it back in the early '90s. So sad.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
Mr.Xerneas

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 05, 2015, 03:49PM »

Best way I have found to clean my slide is to soak it in lukewarm water. I put a towel in the bottom of the tub and run my water about a 1/2 in over the slide so it's submerged and let it fill up with water. Then I let is soak about 15 minutes. Then I take my snake and while it's still underwater and run the snake through it a few times until it's clean. then I wash the inner slide with a mild dish detergent (I use Palmolive) to remove any excess oil build up. Then I rinse it off and set it out to dry. Then I just put some new slide cream on it and it's as smooth as new.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: