Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

940498 Posts in 61858 Topics- by 14938 Members - Latest Member: Ponelson1
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakPolls(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Single bore? Dual bore?
Poll
Question: If you are given a chance to have a single bore trombone or a dual bore trombone for free, which will you choose?
The single bore one
The dual bore one
Both!!
Undecided

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Single bore? Dual bore?  (Read 6964 times)
me

View Profile
« on: Apr 05, 2009, 06:13AM »

Which will you pick? :)

Practice makes perfect!! :)
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2009, 07:14AM »

Erm....

What is dual bore? :shuffle:

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2009, 07:23AM »

Different diameter inners. I believe my Olds is a .492/.500.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2009, 07:26AM »

Erm....

What is dual bore? :shuffle:

A dual bore trombone has a larger diameter tube on the bottom of the slide than the top.  I have never seen the reverse (larger diameter on the top).

A dual bore is supposed to be a miracle cure:

1.  It makes the instrument more conical to blend with conical instruments like Horns and Tubas (well, sometimes).

2.  It lets you get a "larger bore" sound with a "smaller bore" instrument (well, sometimes).

3.  It makes you play better (well, only if you practice).

Dual bores have been popular on bass trombones and some large bore tenors of late.  The King 2B is a dual bore instrument (different inside diameters of the two slide tubes).  The Bach 16 is a dual bore as well.

Personally, I own a bunch of dual bore tenors and don't see the dual bore as any kind of advantage.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2009, 07:28AM »

I much prefer my 3B with a straight bore. The dual bores have always felt stuffy and easy to overblow. I find I have a much fuller, deeper sound on the straight bore horns.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2009, 08:00AM »

Dual bores have been popular on bass trombones and some large bore tenors of late.  The King 2B is a dual bore instrument (different inside diameters of the two slide tubes).  The Bach 16 is a dual bore as well.

Personally, I own a bunch of dual bore tenors and don't see the dual bore as any kind of advantage.

Interesting. I didn't know they were more popular specifically for large bores and basses. That's exactly what I prefer, but because of resistance dynamics rather than timbre. I've never played anything as small as a 2B though. Well, not counting trumpets anyway.

Byron

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2009, 08:01AM »

Dual bore has a somewhat different sound.  If you want that sound, then it's a good thing.  I don't see why it would be touted as a miracle cure or an advantage.  I have a dual bore bass, and I like the sound, therefore it's a good thing for that instrument for me.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2009, 08:50AM »

I vote both because I like "free" trombones, never have had tried a "dual bore" though so, as always, my opinion, alone, does buy coffee. Evil :D

come to think of it, I've never tried a "free" trombone either.   ;-)

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
Burgerbob

"Yeah, I'm pretty much not a big deal."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2009, 11:20AM »

I use (borrow) a Getzen 725 for my large tenor (.525/.547). It's really my only choice, but it plays well. It's definitely not as open as a straight .547, but it doesn't feel like a conical .525, either. So far, no bass with a dual bore slide has excited me, mainly because smaller pieces do not seem to like them.

Bires- Shires Trubores, B62, C, Bach bell, GB 1 3/8G
Bach 50B, GB 1 3/8G
Bach 50B2, GB 1 3/8G
Yamaha YEP-842S, GB 1 3/8G
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12L
Conn 6H, King 7MD
Manexbi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2009, 11:44AM »

Why should I choose one or the other if I can have both for free??? Pant

"Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation. Revolution is the second!"
Johnny_verhoeven
If the slide moves it is a good trombone

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2009, 01:24PM »

1.  It makes the instrument more conical to blend with conical instruments like Horns and Tubas (well, sometimes).

Trombones should stand out. Not blend, certanly not with horns and tuba's. The idea alone makes me shiver.

Johnny Verhoeven

Jupiter Soprano
Stagg Alto
B&H small bore tenor
Maestro medium bore
Yamaha YSL356G
Boosey G-Bass (show piece in the living)
Edwards Bass (BigBand - my main job)
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:22PM »

In theory, a dual-bore horn should blow like the smaller bore but have some of the sound qualities of the larger. It's also a way to build a horn with qualities between two standard sizes.

If memory serves, some dual-bore horns have end crooks that are sized to fit the larger bore while others have tapered end crooks. Not sure what effect that would have.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2009, 05:27PM »

I'm a straight man all the way!

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
baileyman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2009, 08:04PM »

I've just swapped out my 16M slide for a 9, which is 0.485"-0.495".  This is for an 8II bell which seems to be identical to a 16 by my measurements, with perhaps some tuning slide difference.  The 16M was "woofy", backing up at volume on some middle notes,  to  , and the 9 hits these head on.  A 6 slide on this same bell speaks well also, but I have no 6 as slick as this 9. 

It may be coincidence the 9 is a dualie.  And the trombone is a system, including soft machine parts.  YMMV. 

But I'm left wondering, for those whose middle notes are reticent, is your slide bore perhaps a bit too large?
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2009, 05:12AM »

I'm a straight man all the way!

Fulfilling the needs of comedians worldwide!

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2009, 05:58AM »

quote from ddickerson:

"I'm a straight man all the way"

Fulfilling the needs of comedians worldwide!

(insert "rim shot" drum sound effect here)

quote from baileyman:

"And the trombone is a system, including soft machine parts."

in some cases, including in my case, very soft and out of shape

Evil :D

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2009, 09:42AM »

Single bore: Politician who likes to hear himself talk.

Dual bore:  Two of them. :-P :-P

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2009, 10:00AM »

Single bore: Politician who likes to hear himself talk.

Dual bore:  Two of them. :-P :-P

don't forget:

single bore

muzzle loader, break actiopn, bolt action, pump, semi-automatic loading, or automatic loading

dual bore

over/under or side by side

rifle or shot gun

Allen
HeRoze
Victor R.

"hack"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:09AM »

I play a few regularly - 3B straight (0.508 straight), a Conn 50H (0.525 straight with F) and a Kanstul (0.500/0.530 dual).  Since they are all from different makers, I'm sure there are other differences besides the bore (lead pipes, materials, etc.).  For me, the 3B is the easiest blow and can blend or cut in most situations depending on how hard I push it.  The 50H is my favorite for feel, easily cutting and has a pleasant brassy sound.  The Kanstul is the one I use in 'concert band' where one of our directors tends to the long-hair serious stuff. It may be in my head, but the dual bore does seem a bit rounder in tone, but still very much a trombone (NOT a stick baritone).  I can make it cut a bit and take a nice lead over the 0.547s around me during solos, but I'm not obnoxiously cutting or anything.

So, for me, I like the dual bore in most situations.  Exceptions include first and second parts in big-band, where the cut of the small straight bores sounds nice (to me).  It could all be in my head, though :)

As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand - Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw)
If trying harder isn't working, try softer.
Silver3B

"Tango! Argentine tango love dancing the tango!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 14, 2009, 05:04PM »

A dual bore trombone has a larger diameter tube on the bottom of the slide than the top.  I have never seen the reverse (larger diameter on the top).

A dual bore is supposed to be a miracle cure:

1.  It makes the instrument more conical to blend with conical instruments like Horns and Tubas (well, sometimes).

2.  It lets you get a "larger bore" sound with a "smaller bore" instrument (well, sometimes).

3.  It makes you play better (well, only if you practice).

Dual bores have been popular on bass trombones and some large bore tenors of late.  The King 2B is a dual bore instrument (different inside diameters of the two slide tubes).  The Bach 16 is a dual bore as well.

Now...... it could be the placebo affect but it seems like I have a higher register when I play on a dual bore horn, as opposed to the same horn straight slide.

Anthony Cecena,
San Diego,CA
King 3B and 4B- with G attachment.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: