Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

935864 Posts in 61331 Topics- by 14843 Members - Latest Member: AdamJCLe
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPedagogy(Moderators: JP, Doug Elliott) Book to introduce F attachment
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Book to introduce F attachment  (Read 1495 times)
bonephat

View Profile
« on: Apr 07, 2009, 08:02AM »

I teach in a private high school and start many beginners as 9th graders.  I use Essential Elements 2000 to get the kids started quickly.  I want to switch one of my beginners on tenor trombone to a  F attachment trombone I have.  What method book recommendations do any of you have to introduce F attachment to a second year player?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

'56-57 King 2B, '63 Conn Director, '81 King 2B valve, 1906ish York valve, New York Bach 12C mpc.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2009, 09:50AM »

There are probably newer ones, but the old standby "F-Attachment and Bass Trombone" by Allen Ostrander is pretty good.  Simple enough that your student can easily follow.  Not a lot of information on care and feeding, but you will have to teach that.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
kbiggs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2009, 10:57AM »

If you can't find the Ostrander book Bruce mentioned, another good beginning bass trombone/F-attachment is Reginald Fink's "Introducing the F-Attachment" by Accura music.  You can find it at Hickey's and other web stores.  For the Ostrander, examine the book before buying it.  Ostrander produced several different method and etude books, and the titles can be confusing. 

Although it's out of print, George Robert's "Let's Play Bass Trombone" is an excellent beginner's method, if you can find a copy. 

Kenneth Biggs
Bass & tenor trombone
Bass & tenor sacbut

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2009, 01:46PM »

I was recommended O. Blume's 36 Studies for Trombone with F attachment. Quite a few of them are beyond my ability but there is plenty to do even so. They are good exercises.

Michelle
eanogmus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2009, 05:54PM »

The first part of my "New Method for the Modern Bass Trombone" covers thoroughly the F attachment, position by position, with clear annotation system for the F attachment positions, though a tenor trombonist may skip the low pedal exercises.
Eliezer Aharoni
bass trombonist (retired)
Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra
LLCJ103
LJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 04, 2009, 03:08PM »

I started out on a real beater, old Conn, I do mean "old". I played this horn briefly and went straight to an F attachment. I just used the Rubanks book. It sure was alot easier because I can only reach 6th position.

Have them jump right into it. Worked for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: