Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092575 Posts in 72179 Topics- by 19440 Members - Latest Member: drater421
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Need good all-around horn  (Read 1252 times)
FunkyBob

View Profile
« on: Apr 23, 2009, 11:34AM »

I'm playing in my high school jazz, marching, and symphonic bands and I'm looking to upgrade to a better horn as I'm still using my Bach student model and I need some recommendations. I'm not looking for anything with an f attachment just a straight tenor. I'm also playing first chair if that makes any difference.
Also what mouthpiece would I best off using? I'm using the 12 that came with the horn and my teacher said that's the worst possible thing I could be playing on right now.
Any help would be great! Thanks!

Rob Rose
DogBone35

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2009, 11:48AM »

As for the mouthpiece, is your "teacher" your band director and does he play trombone as his main instrument? Or is your "teacher" your private lesson trombone teacher?

Us here who don't know you and have not heard you play are wary to contradict recommendations of private lesson teachers.  If that is what you have, ask him or her what mouthpiece he or she recommends.

If your "teacher" is a non-trombone-playing band director, he or she may not really know what the best mouthpiece is for you.  Some players stay on a 12C for a lifetime.  Others move to an 11C or a 7C or a 6.5 AL.  Those are the most likely candidates for a new mouthpiece.  The only way to tell is to try them yourself.  Better music stores should have all of those sized in stock.  The mouthpiece depends on your lips, your horn and what kind of playing you do.

But if you are looking for a new horn, wait until you get the horn, then worry about a mouthpiece change.

P.S.  Don't trade in your student horn.  Save it for marching band. Never march your good horn.
FunkyBob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2009, 11:55AM »

It was my private teacher who said it but my band director does play trombone and he's told me the same thing.
and yeah I forgot to include in my first post that I'm keeping the student model for marching band

Rob Rose
Lockr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:05PM »

You might look at a King 3B, it is a good all around horn used by many Professional players.

3B+
2nd chair, 2nd time around around Band.
Frodo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:10PM »

If cost were to be an issue you could look at the Blessing B-88s at wwbw.com

The Conn 88H or 88HO trombones are nice if you are willing to spend more.

What mouthpieces are being recommended to you?

Practice, Practice, Practice...
By their fruits shall you know them.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. - Winston Churchill
FunkyBob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2009, 12:23PM »

the same ones said
mostly 7c or 11c

Rob Rose
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2009, 01:35PM »

7C and 11C are small shank mouthpieces.  So you probably would need to use them with a smaller trombone.

First, if you are planning to be a professional and go to music school, you may want to consider a large bore trombone.  And one with an F-attachment.

If you plan to play for fun after school, a good all-around horn would be one with a .500" to .525" bore (your current Bach has a .500" bore).  The larger instrument is mainly for a symphonic or concert band sound.  For lead in Jazz Band a nice .500" horn is pretty good.  There are a lot of new horns that would fill the bill, and still more used horns.

Just as a small list (something old, something new, nothing borrowed, and stay away from anything blue).

Bach 12, 16, 16M, 36
Benge 170, 175
Blessing B7
Conn 6H, 10H, 48H, 77H, 78H, 100H (lots more, too)
Getzen 1050, 3508
Kanstul [don't remember the numbers]
King 2B+, 3B, 3B+
Martin Committee, Urbie Green
Olds Recording, Studio, Super
Reynolds Argenta
Yamaha 691, 683 (and others)

There are more; I just don't remember them right now.

Try to play as many as possible, although I think you will have a hard time finding all of these unless you are in a very large music store (Dillon's in New Jersey or Ferguson in Los Angeles).

Good luck!

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
FunkyBob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2009, 06:39PM »

ok thanks!
Yeah I live in Miami so I'm stuck to guitar stores that don't know what they're talking about and people on Craigslist who cancel the deal last minute

Rob Rose
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2009, 06:52PM »

ok thanks!
Yeah I live in Miami so I'm stuck to guitar stores that don't know what they're talking about and people on Craigslist who cancel the deal last minute

We have a few dealers here who will work with you.

For used instruments, find Forum Member DJ Kennedy.  He probably has exactly what you want in an older "experienced" instrument.

Also contact Ferguson Music in LA (horguys.com) or Dillon Music in New Jersey.  I think these guys are the only people I'd ever consider buying a Chinese-made horn from (they make sure it works good before you get it).

Good luck!

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: