Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080009 Posts in 71453 Topics- by 19045 Members - Latest Member: Old2TheBone
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Green topics  (Read 40914 times)
greg waits
« on: Jul 06, 2009, 07:29AM »

I have a real problem with throwing away those little slivers of soap that are too small to use in the shower. For the longest time I have been tossing them into a large ziploc bag until I could figure a good way to reuse them.

I looked online today and found many great suggestions.

One is to microwave the pieces and spoon the resulting "liquid" into a form of your choice, let it cool and there you have it, a new bar of soap, large enough to use again!

I tried the micro method, but I am also experimenting with slow heating the bars on the stove in a small sauce pan. I am experimenting with adding a drop of artificial cocoanut flavoring (for the aroma).

Update later!

I will suggest to the forum staff that we add another topic corner, this one dedicated to green issues such as this.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2009, 11:48PM by RedHotMama » Logged
RepublicanTbone76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2009, 07:39AM »

I have a real problem with throwing away those little slivers of soap that are too small to use in the shower. For the longest time I have been tossing them into a large ziploc bag until I could figure a good way to reuse them.

I looked online today and found many great suggestions.

One is to microwave the pieces and spoon the resulting "liquid" into a form of your choice, let it cool and there you have it, a new bar of soap, large enough to use again!

I tried the micro method, but I am not experimenting with slow heating the bars on the stove in a small sauce pan. I am experimenting with adding a drop of aetificial cocoanut flavoring (for the aroma).

Update later!

I will suggest to the forum staff that we add another topic corner, this one dedicated to green issues such as this.

Can anyone say hippie? I am just messing with you. I think your carbon footprint using the microwave will outweight the waste of the soap.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2009, 07:41AM »

I have a collection myself. I've been using them in the sink for washing my face and shaving (I use hand sanitizer for my hands because we're in a drought here in GA), but they keep building up faster than I'm using them. I'd thought about the nuke idea. That didn't work so well I gather?

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
greg waits
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2009, 08:21AM »

Can anyone say hippie? I am just messing with you. I think your carbon footprint using the microwave will outweight the waste of the soap.

I thought about that, but hey, I am trying.
greg waits
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2009, 08:22AM »

Another suggestion is get one of those mesh bags (for washing delicates etc), and simply tossing the soap leftovers into it. What you have in essence is a ersatz loofa with soap suds included.
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2009, 09:10AM »

Second the mesh bag.  With two or three pieces inside, it makes lather better then a plain bar.  One has to be a little careful that the smallest pieces don't crawl out of the bag with vigorous lathering.

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2009, 10:27AM »

I've never found this to be a problem.  When the soap sliver is so small as to be essentially unusable I take a new bar of soap into the shower with me, soak the sliver in the soap dish for the duration of my shower, and press it onto the top of the new bar of soap when I'm done.  When the soap dries, the sliver bonds to the new bar just fine.

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2009, 11:01AM »

I've never found this to be a problem.  When the soap sliver is so small as to be essentially unusable I take a new bar of soap into the shower with me, soak the sliver in the soap dish for the duration of my shower, and press it onto the top of the new bar of soap when I'm done.  When the soap dries, the sliver bonds to the new bar just fine.

I used to do that but found that the pieces always came apart.  In the old days they'd stick but maybe not with the modern formulas.  (And the "bath size" bars are smaller than they used to be, maybe that's part of the problem.)

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2009, 11:04AM »

I remember there being some kind of press you could use to compress the slivers together to make a new bar.

I used to use a brush and mug to shave and experimented with using the soap slivers for my mug.  Didn't work; the lather was awful.

Right now I have a small stack of slivers at the bathroom sink for handwashing.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2009, 01:01PM »

I used to do that but found that the pieces always came apart.  In the old days they'd stick but maybe not with the modern formulas.

Works fine with the old school Ivory, and that's what we use since I don't like that moisturizing crap in many soaps these days.

Good!

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
greg waits
« Reply #10 on: Jul 06, 2009, 01:26PM »

I remember there being some kind of press you could use to compress the slivers together to make a new bar.

I bought one on Ebay a few years ago but I think someone borrowed it. It did work pretty well.

Update: my new soap bars look like crap, but they are big enough! I had them drying on the counter on wax paper and for a second they were mistaken as homemade buttermilk biscuits. I am glad that no  one took a bite. (shades of the Three Stooges  Eeek!)
Dennis K.
« Reply #11 on: Jul 06, 2009, 08:52PM »

Greg, you need to get out more.

:D
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2009, 02:40AM »

I'm very bothered by the current trend for people in "civilised" countries to drink bottled water. How many joggers, tourists or even commuters sitting on a train do you now see clutching a plastic bottle of water as if a ghastly death by dehydration was only moments away?

Manufacturing these many billions of bottles is very bad for the environment. Recycling them is not a good option, being a very inefficient process, but chucking them away is infinitely worse. I've seen film showing entire beaches made up of fragments from these bottles; seabirds and other creatures are found dead with their intestinal tracts full of such fragments. Even the process of extracting mineral water can be detrimental to the community from whence it comes.

If you must, buy a couple of small plastic water bottles, then refill from the tap, keep in the fridge, and re-use over and over and over. I'm quite sure that anyone who is sufficiently affluent to afford a computer AND an expensive musical instrument or three is living within a country where it is safe to drink the water....

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2009, 05:34AM »

I avoid this issue by using liquid soap. No slivers ever.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2009, 10:57AM »

If you must, buy a couple of small plastic water bottles, then refill from the tap, keep in the fridge, and re-use over and over and over. I'm quite sure that anyone who is sufficiently affluent to afford a computer AND an expensive musical instrument or three is living within a country where it is safe to drink the water....

This is what we do, and agreed! Our tap water is great here in the SF Bay Area but I see bottle of water everywhere. We reuse until the bottles get too dingy and crumpled to be trusted, then we fill them 3/4 full, squeeze out most of the air, and freeze them. They are great to keep an ice chest cool. Finally, when they are truly used up we recycle them.

Reuse, reuse... We have two tiny trash bins in our kitchen and we reuse our plastic grocery bags for trash. No need to buy special bags to throw away! The small size forces us to take the trash out more often, also a good thing.

Reuse... I save jars and tin cans. With a quick scrub, food jars are usually good in our house for at least one more go around with something I've made. Cans are not so handy for me, but occasionally they are useful in the garage or garden. They are perfect to reuse for starting seedlings or painting.

This used to be so normal.

Way cool

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Jul 07, 2009, 11:40AM »

Good for you! Good!

The tap water here, straight out of the tap, tastes nasty even when you run it to cold, but it's fine when it has spent a couple of days resting in the fridge.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2009, 11:42AM »

Good for you! Good!

It's what my parents and grandparents did, and they did it simply to be thrifty.

Maybe these crappy economic times will at least see a corresponding resurgence in these old practices.

Idea!

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 07, 2009, 07:48PM »

Take the sliver of soap and put it in your toilet and it will disolve some overnight, and the soapy water will help keep your toilet clean without having to use toilet ticks.

Works well!

Smells Well too!

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2009, 08:55PM »

...toilet ticks.
Do toilet ticks carry Lyme disease?  Or is it Rocky Mountain Potted Fever?

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2009, 09:01PM »

(hijacking thread...)

have a half used can of coke laying around?  put it in the toilet, let it stay overnight.  the acids will dissolve most "hangers on" leaving you with a clean bowl in the morning.

have a kid that has lost a tooth?  put the tooth in a glass of coke overnight and see what's left the next day.  keep your kid off the sodas...

(french special forces storm the thread and remove the offending party...)

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: