Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080928 Posts in 71553 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Green topics  (Read 41061 times)
FreddyB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2009, 03:55AM »

Can anyone say hippie? I am just messing with you. I think your carbon footprint using the microwave will outweight the waste of the soap.

Can't you say the same thing about most recycling schemes??!!??  Evil

It's never too late to be who you might have been - George Elliott
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2009, 05:18AM »

Maybe, but that's no reason to not recycle.  Technology gets better.  And there is not an unlimited supply of raw materials, or landfill space.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Jul 08, 2009, 06:03AM »

I agree with Doug.

Recycling technology is far from perfect. Cleaning out tin cans, plastic bottles etc before recycling is a bother. Trudging over to the areas where you can recycle glass, plastics, newspapers/mags, clothes etc is a nuisance. Also, although my own block of flats isn't enabled to do so, I'm told it is a real (and smelly) pain to keep food waste separately, particularly when rubbish collections have been reduced to fortnightly. However, it's still much better than doing nothing.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
JMichael

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 12, 2009, 12:54PM »

I use liquid body wash, but great to see ppl caring about those poor little lost soap pieces.  :cry:
We use a brita filter on our tap water so as to not use bottled water.
My girlfriend owns a very popular bakery here in San Diego ( elizabethandesserts.com )and does not offer bottled water for sale (but will gladly give a recycled paper cup of free brita water).
Remember folks, most plastic is made from petrochemicals!  So using less plastic means we buy less oil from overseas.

Also reg recycling, remember that the carbon footprint for mining metal ore (aluminum, etc) and drilling/transporting oil (plastics) is globally far greater than the emissions that a recycling plant puts out.

anywho my 2cents (and then some :-P
-John
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2009, 05:46PM »

Here's an interesting link. Disposable wooden utensils! And they don't even splinter! Just toss them into your campfire when you are finished.

http://aspenware.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=1
JMichael

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 12, 2009, 06:27PM »

Here's an interesting link. Disposable wooden utensils! And they don't even splinter! Just toss them into your campfire when you are finished.

http://aspenware.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=1
Wow, thanks!
My girl wants to stop carrying plastic utensils in her bakery as they are generally not recyclable.
Thanks for the link.  I showed her (she had heard of these) and she just ordered several thousand wood utensils!
aspenware should give you a finders fee, hehe.
-John
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 12, 2009, 07:34PM »

Glad it helped. :)
MooreBones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 02, 2009, 11:21PM »

Take a look at this:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/30/magazine/recycling-is-garbage.html?sec=&spon=&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

This is obviously a very old article, and like someone said, technology keeps improving, so I wouldn't necessarily believe everything written here. However, it was interesting to me to see an article that shot down recycle with so much fervor, so I figured I'd post it here. I think about it occasionally when I throw a Gatorade bottle in my recycling bin.
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2009, 11:51AM »

I'd like to see some states on direct and indirect costs and environmental impacts of recycling.

One thing I see is a wide difference in  policies among different counties/municipalities and waste management companies, especially in regard to how electronics and various labeled plastics are handled are hand. There is also a huge difference in allowable recycled amounts---some are unlimited, some limit to container size.

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: Aug 11, 2009, 01:35AM »

This weekend, I had to go over to my trumpet player's house to feed his cat. In his village, they have a very complicated system of how to separate the household rubbish, including putting all the food waste into one bin. Unfortunately, the council doesn't empty the bins very often. The bin for food waste was absolutely seething with thousands of maggots. NOT a good system!

In vodka veritas
Driswood

"It's better to be smart than intelligent""

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sep 19, 2009, 05:19AM »

This weekend, I had to go over to my trumpet player's house to feed his cat. In his village, they have a very complicated system of how to separate the household rubbish, including putting all the food waste into one bin. Unfortunately, the council doesn't empty the bins very often. The bin for food waste was absolutely seething with thousands of maggots. NOT a good system!

But by the time the maggots are finished with it, isn't there less waste?  :D

Jerry Walker

"Give a beggar a horse & he'll run over you"

"Imagine you're an idiot. Now imagine you're a member of Congress. But I repeat myself" Mark Twain

'65 Bach 34B
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Sep 21, 2009, 03:26AM »

Funny thing, the waste was way down at the bottom of the bin, but the maggots were all crawling around the rim. Yerk.

In vodka veritas
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 07, 2009, 03:26PM »

How come the grocery stores can afford to give you (Ha, Ha. You think you are not paying for them?) high density polyethylene (HDPE) lightweight plastic bags but they can't afford to give you so-called environmental type bags - green bags. And are the green bags any better? The label says they are made of Poly Propylene. Is that environmentally superior to the normal plastic bags? Or is it just that you get a greater number of uses out of the green bags?

If the grocery chains are really worried about the environment, surely they would provide an environmentally friendly alternative that breaks down in weeks within a compost environment and does not leave any harmful residues in the process?

I don't think that the grocery chains in Australia give a tinker's cuss about the environment. They are only interested in profit.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Oct 30, 2009, 02:04AM »

Change of subject....

CA salmon in collapse.....rivers in central California are experiencing a complete disappearance of salmon. This particular story is about a river a short distance from where I live. I've seen the salmon run many times---huge fish, moving at incredible speeds towards their spawning grounds. Then absolutely nothing. F***ing nothing. Scientists have no answers, but suggest the ladders around the dams are not allowing fish to pass, fish hatchery spawn are genetically inferior, too many fish were eaten/destroyed before reaching the ocean, they are over-fished in the ocean. This has never happened. We are facing an eco-catastrophe of possible species (ours) extinction proportions. Man's impact on the planet is devastating and growing populations only punctuate a corner we probably turned ten years ago. Entire species are collapsing, literally overnight---bees, fish, amphibians, etc..

Our "right" is too dumb to perceive the danger and our left thinks they can fix things by "voting." I find this very depressing.  :(

Related story>: http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/national/2008/02/14/in-california-the-mystery-of-the-missing-fish.html Humans are such biological imperialists, to paraphrase a dear friend of mine.

Oregon, too. http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/12084999086460.xml&coll=7

The Governator apologizes for destroying CA fisheries.  Too little, too late---arbitrary, greed-based interventions in nature tend to turn out badly-----for nature.
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2009, 05:10PM by evan51 » Logged

evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2009, 11:13AM »

Species' extinction threat grows

More than a third of species assessed in a major international biodiversity study are threatened with extinction, scientists have warned.

Out of the 47,677 species in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, 17,291 were deemed to be at serious risk.

These included 21% of all known mammals, 30% of amphibians, 70% of plants and 35% of invertebrates.

Conservationists warned that not enough was being done to tackle the main threats, such as habitat loss.

"The scientific evidence of a serious extinction crisis is mounting," warned Jane Smart, director of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature's (IUCN) Biodiversity Conservation Group.

Full story

IMHO, the use of the term "Green" has now come to represent an advertising campaign that cloaks the reality behind "Green technology"----i.e., at best, it merely controls the speed of the inevitable destruction of the planet due to human impacts. At worst, it gives then false impression that "Green" activities are a logical response to the destruction of the planet.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2009, 11:39PM by evan51 » Logged

tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 05, 2009, 10:04AM »

We recycle all we can.... but slivers of soap usually wind up going down the drain.

T.

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:25AM »

Solar panel costs falling in Europe, too.

Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:45AM »

There's a prime example of why the US is becoming a second rate manufacturing economy. We're falling behind in the areas that are going to create the jobs of this century. But hey, let's keep subsidizing big oil!!!!

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:22AM »

I've posted it before on this forum, but homes in huge portions of this country could provide their own electricity with rooftop solar panels. We do it (we were fortunate enough to purchase a house with the panels installed) and haven't paid an electrical bill since. With "free" electricity, we've moved to using electric heat and thereby reduced our gas usage (and bill) as well.

Site-specific micro-generation is an answer that often gets overlooked: solar, wind, hydro, heat pumps, whatever combo works best at your site. I look at plans for large scale solar facilities out in the Mojave desert and huge wave generators in the Pacific Ocean and wonder if that money would be better served putting standard solar panels on x-thousand rooftops, at least first.

Good!

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2009, 01:03PM »

My institute's new laboratory building could have had solar power. It has a huge roof facing south, perfect. It should also have been constructed to be energy-saving in every way. Instead, we have just received notification that the thing is the most expensve building on the site to run. It costs 199,000 per year. This is a complete disgrace.

In vodka veritas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: