Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080971 Posts in 71555 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Green topics  (Read 41070 times)
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Mar 28, 2010, 03:13AM »

I was heartened by a poll today on the SBS World News website:

"What issue is most important to you in the next federal election?

23% Health & education
22% Immigration
26% Economy
29% Climate change" Good!

And just out of interest, do you know how turning the lights off to save the planet for Earth Hour got started? Those of you who don't know might be quite surprised when you find out.

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 03:02AM »

There is no chance that I will be around in 2050 but the thought of a world with seas that have no fish is kind of sad. :(

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1259412/Ocean-fish-could-vanish-in-40-years:-UN

Grah

And climb on every rung
greg waits
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 12:52PM »

Is anyone on here into backyard composting? I have really gotten deeply involved in this and it has turned out to be very satisfying.

Last year we bought a big free standing plastic composter, with doors on the bottom (all four sides). Theory is, when the compost is ready, you open the doors and scoop the nice sweet end result out and there you have it.

It doesn't work that easily unfortunately. Of course you have to stir up and turn over the material a lot to circulate it. Not doing this makes the whole process take a lot longer.

In the meanwhile I have been doing a lot of research and am now about to start practicing "bio-degrading", utilizing half buried containers with holes punched in the bottom. This allows works to come up and get involved!

The other option is to buy the real compost worms (red wigglers among other names), which are the most aggressive and productive worm for this application. And I can set up a system in the garage.

Time will tell, but for now I am going for the backyard method. I will say this, that there is something very satisfying about smelling that sweet loam that is the end result of composting.

And a side benefit is that our household kitchen waste is reduced by about 75% or better.

Go green!
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 01:02PM »

We have a freestanding plastic ventilated compost bin that kitchen and yard cuttings go into but it needs to be periodically "tossed" which isn't easy within the plastic confines. Plus raccoons and other critters can (and do) get right into it if they smell something that they like. 

I think a rotating or tumbling barrel composter is the slickest setup, I want. Dump new stuff in, give it a spin, done!

Idea!

Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2010, 06:36AM »

I made mine from salvaged cinder blocks. I can turn it quite easily with a pitchfork, and get great results. The dogs keep the racoons at bay, and the chickens love to root around in it.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
sdjazz
"The Bird"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:49PM »

We have one in our garden, basically a small enclosed area made of that composite fence material and an oil pan covering it. Everything compostable goes in it. It is even more effective than my dad, who takes everyones' leftovers to work. :)

San Diego State University - Music Education & Performance
Santa Clara Vanguard 2015-2017 - Baritone
lethargicllama7
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:13PM »

This idea is ingenious! But I don't use that soap anymore...my parents buy the stuff in the bottle
Another Dave

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:49PM »

I think your carbon footprint using the microwave will outweight the waste of the soap.

Wow, I know I'm late to this party, I somehow missed this thread.

My wife likes to give away soaps that she has molded. At fist, using the microwave method, she kept warping the plastic molds. Then she learned that the soap gets way too hot that way. Heating in a double boiler on the stovetop is the ticket. You can control the temperature and don't invest any more energy than needed.

Her friends love receiving them.

If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility. -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, poet (1807-1882)
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 20, 2011, 03:12PM »

I heard some interesting news today resulting from a survey by the CSIRO. They found that wind speeds 10m above the ground have increased by 10K/hr over the last two decades. This is very good news for wind farmers and alternative energy generation. But it is just another nudge to the climate change doubters. The cause is the that the circulation of air worldwide has changed due to climate change and Australia just happens to be a beneficiary. In other countries the news may not be so good.

Grah

And climb on every rung
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sep 20, 2011, 03:18PM »

in our church the choir loft is always hot.  it is also the highest spot in the entire church generally accessible to folks.

I repeatedly deny the rumour that it is only hot when I happen to be trying to sing.

Evil :D

some folks don't believe me.

being of Irish ancestry and an attorney by profession seems to give some people the impression that I talk too much and that I'm full of hot air to boot.

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:36PM »

I am really pleased to report the Australian Carbon tax legislation passed through the Senate today and will take effect from the middle of next year.

Ignoring all the politics and those that have lost or gained jobs due to their beliefs about controlling carbon emissions, I think the Greens leader was right when he said, "It's a 'green letter day' but one which will echo down the ages ... there's a celebration going on in this nation today. People 50 or 500 years from now will thank us for the passage of this legislation."

I suppose the downside is that the Coalition opposition is vowing to repeal the legislation if it wins the next election, which seems likely.

We shall see what we shall see but this is a breath of fresh air ;-) and puts us back in the forefront of those nations committed to preserving the earth is a state liveable for humans. Good! Even it it does increase our cost of living, it's worth it. And it might just pursued a few other countries to tow the line - America, China and India for instance.  Yeah, RIGHT.

Grah

And climb on every rung
Another Dave

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2012, 03:18PM »

This article is too long to post, and to try to give a short synopsis would do it an injustice. But I find the idea of our military at the cutting edge of alternative energy is both ironic and truly hopeful.

Lean, Green Fighting Machine

If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility. -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, poet (1807-1882)
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:35PM »

Neat.

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
Practiceathome

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2012, 08:19AM »

I have the answer.
Take the slivers of soap, chop into small pieces, and put into a jar.  Add water and shake.  Use this soap slurry to refill your liquid soap dispensers.  Hey, you even get some exercise from the process.  Pretend it is a martini shaker and go to town.

1. The greenies are happy because soap was reused and a glass jar was also reused.

2. The nay-sayers are happy because no emissions were used in running a microwave or stove top to heat the soap to melt and put it into a mold.  You may recall some criticized the use of microwaves and stove tops for offsetting any gains from the use of fossil fuels to heat the soap.

Everybody wins.
Another Dave

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 08:36PM »

conserve your energy, use a solar oven  Good!

I have the answer.
Take the slivers of soap, chop into small pieces, and put into a jar.  Add water and shake.  Use this soap slurry to refill your liquid soap dispensers.  Hey, you even get some exercise from the process.  Pretend it is a martini shaker and go to town.

1. The greenies are happy because soap was reused and a glass jar was also reused.

2. The nay-sayers are happy because no emissions were used in running a microwave or stove top to heat the soap to melt and put it into a mold.  You may recall some criticized the use of microwaves and stove tops for offsetting any gains from the use of fossil fuels to heat the soap.

Everybody wins.

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:25PM »

SMARTER LIVING: ACTIONS YOU CAN TAKE IN YOUR DAILY LIFE

How to choose delicious seafood that's healthy for you and the environment.
Information on mercury's effects and how you can reduce the threat from this hazardous pollution.
Confused by the many claims you see on produce products? Find out what the labels mean and which you can trust.
Learn about chemicals commonly used in everyday products and how to stay safe.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jan 05, 2013, 03:35PM »

December 28, 2012
DIY Natural Soap: Stank Dog Soap

January 04, 2013
15 Resolutions You Can Cross Off Your List Today

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:02PM »

Starbucks Introduces Reusable Cup That Sells for a Buck
BY LLOYD ALTER IN CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY

That's cheap enough that people might actually use it, which is good. But it is part of a shift from producer responsibility, which is not.

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:01PM »

Quote of the Day:
President Barack Obama on Climate Change

We, the people, still believe that our obligations as Americans are not just to ourselves, but to all posterity. We will respond to the threat of climate change, knowing that the failure to do so would betray our children and future generations. Some may still deny the overwhelming judgment of science, but none can avoid the devastating impact of raging fires, and crippling drought, and more powerful storms.

The path towards sustainable energy sources will be long and sometimes difficult. But America cannot resist this transition; we must lead it. We cannot cede to other nations the technology that will power new jobs and new industries – we must claim its promise. That is how we will maintain our economic vitality and our national treasure – our forests and waterways; our croplands and snowcapped peaks. That is how we will preserve our planet, commanded to our care by God. That’s what will lend meaning to the creed our fathers once declared.

(pic is YouTube link)

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:09PM »

How to Convince People That the Environment Matters
Ever fail miserably at trying to explain to your friends (or enemies) that the eco-challenges we face are crucial? You may be leaving too many blanks in your explanations. Here's how to improve your argument.
Why Environmentalists Need to Talk More About the Basics and Stop Skipping Steps
Convincing more people of the importance of the challenges we face is crucial, yet it's not always easy to do. This sometimes happen because we're only giving partial information, leaving too many blanks in our explanations.
BY MICHAEL GRAHAM RICHARD

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: