Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1088844 Posts in 71969 Topics- by 19321 Members - Latest Member: didubadap
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Green topics  (Read 42536 times)
Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:13PM »

Nicholas Stern: Climate Situation 'Far Worse' Than Previously Thought
BY MICHAEL GRAHAM RICHARD
Nicholas Stern, the British economist who made a big splash worldwide with his government-commissioned Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change in 2006, is now saying that things are even worse than he let on in his famous report.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:00AM »

I think we can stop worrying now.

The point at which we could have reversed global climate change has already passed.

So we're screwed.

Keep driving those Hummers!!!

Glad I don't have children.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:49PM »

Green Your Valentine's Day: DIY Soy Candles

(vid link)

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:54PM »

Green Your Valentine's Day: In the Bedroom

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Feb 13, 2013, 04:38PM »

Green Your Valentine's Day: 4 Natural Fragrances

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:18PM »

Green Your Valentine's Day: DIY Dinner for Two

Practiceathome

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Feb 21, 2013, 12:30PM »

Red Hot Mamma,

On what are you basing your opinion?  You may be right but I am just curious why you feel that way?
Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:02PM »

The Energy Game is Rigged: Fossil Fuel Subsidies Topped $620 Billion in 2011
FEBRUARY 27, 3:56 PM BY LESTER BROWN

The energy game is rigged in favor of fossil fuels because we omit the environmental and health costs of burning coal, oil, and natural gas from their prices. Subsidies manipulate the game even further.

Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:48PM »

I agree with you entirely. It is a great shame that Australia's economy is so much based on mining, including the mining and exporting of fossil fuels.

On the health issues, it is not as though we have not had regular warnings down the years. In some cases this led to new legislation, as was the case in England with the Great Smog of 1952.

I remember those days and the absolute necessity of wearing a smog mask, or else expire on the spot. The smog even got into your house. Eeek!:

UK Government medical reports in the weeks following estimated that 4,000 people had died prematurely and 100,000 more were made ill because of the smog's effects on the human respiratory tract. It took them until 1956 to come up with the Clean Air Act. Recent pictures I have seen in some cities in China show the exact same conditions - maybe worse. We are all completely mad not to take heed. :-0

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
Practiceathome

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Mar 09, 2013, 08:47AM »

Here in the states solar energy is heavily subsidized, just like oil.  So why isn't solar flying high like fossil fuels?  Because even with subsidies it is not practical for the masses, and forget afforability.

You can cry about subsidies, and I am certainly no fan of the oil companies, but the implication that if subsidies were removed then somehow we would all be driving clean cars is a false assumption.  That was what you were implying in being critical of subsidies, wasn't it?  Don't get me wrong.  I hope I live long enough to see a world without oil, if for no other reason than I find it fascinating in how people adapt to the so called impossible.  I believe however that subsidies are only there to grow the business.  Look at Colombia (my wife's home country) for example.  All this oil but they are not profiting from nearly as much as they should.  You have to nuture an industry for it to be successful.

Now I am going to ride my bike to work.
Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Mar 25, 2013, 10:46AM »

Is xeriscaping "historically inappropriate" in water-challenged Dallas?
BY LLOYD ALTER

The local Landmarks Commission thinks so, and demands that Burton Knight tear out his front yard and plant grass.

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Mar 25, 2013, 10:56AM »

State Department hid ties between Keystone XL report and TransCanada
BY CHRIS TACKETT

Mother Jones has found more information on how the State Department used Trans Canada conctractors to write its environmental report of the Trans Canada Keystone XL pipeline.
Experts who helped draft the report had previously worked for TransCanada, the company looking to build the Keystone pipeline, and other energy companies poised to benefit from Keystone's construction. State released documents in conjunction with the Keystone report in which these experts' work histories were redacted so that anyone reading the documents wouldn't know who'd previously hired them. Yet unredacted versions of these documents obtained by Mother Jones confirm that three experts working for an outside contractor had done consulting work for TransCanada and other oil companies with a stake in the Keystone's approval.

EXCLUSIVE: State Dept. Hid Contractor's Ties to Keystone XL Pipeline Company

nycbone64
« Reply #72 on: Mar 25, 2013, 11:11AM »

Red Hot Mamma,

On what are you basing your opinion?  You may be right but I am just curious why you feel that way?

I agree with Mama...

Global heating is driven largely by positive feedback mechanisms (e.g., the ice albedo effect).

None of this is news to anyone who has been paying attention for years. It's an old and well documented story.

I also think it's too late even if ordinary citizens manage to defeat the corporate fascism that drives economic, energy and environmental policy.

I expect that wars over fossil fuels will soon be accompanied and eventually replaced by wars over fresh water and food and they become more and more scarce to more and more people. I'm also very glad that I don't have children. Also glad that I won't see much of the impending disaster.

Good luck!

nycbone64
« Reply #73 on: Mar 25, 2013, 11:15AM »

Burton is my hero for the day! Growing water intensive monocultures for ornamentation (e.g., turf grass) or food/industry (e.g., corn) is a waste of resources (not just water).
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Mar 25, 2013, 11:26AM »

I also think it's too late even if ordinary citizens manage to defeat the corporate fascism that drives economic, energy and environmental policy.

I expect that wars over fossil fuels will soon be accompanied and eventually replaced by wars over fresh water and food and they become more and more scarce to more and more people. I'm also very glad that I don't have children. Also glad that I won't see much of the impending disaster.

Good luck!

Something is inevitably going to step in to counter our exponential population boom. If not ourselves and wars as we fight over limited resources, then things like plague and disease. It will just be a horrible thing when it happens.

Oh and per the lawns, there's enough trouble if you just try to replace a regular lawn with a garden in a normal lot. Gets real fun when you play with historic zoning.
nycbone64
« Reply #75 on: Mar 25, 2013, 12:01PM »

Something is inevitably going to step in to counter our exponential population boom. If not ourselves and wars as we fight over limited resources, then things like plague and disease. It will just be a horrible thing when it happens.

Oh and per the lawns, there's enough trouble if you just try to replace a regular lawn with a garden in a normal lot. Gets real fun when you play with historic zoning.

We ecologists call that carry capacity (K).

Unfortunately, humans have the ability to change K to some degree. It would be interesting to analyze specific geographic areas for theoretical K with respect to humans. Sound like an interesting modeling study.

I say tax (heavily) those who reproduce above the replacement rate and give tax incentives for reproducing below the rate or not reproducing at all. I could use the extra cash. :-P

I'm a genetic death and proud of it!

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Mar 25, 2013, 10:16PM »

Maryland moves one step closer to 200MW offshore wind farm

The state of Maryland has been pushing for at least 3 years to build a 200-megawatt offshore wind farm off its coast, 10 to 20 miles from Ocean City. Getting all their ducks in a row hasn't been easy.

Moving beyond oil and gas requires willpower more than anything else

One of the main barriers keeping us from making progress on renewable energy is in our minds. I'm not saying that we can dump fossil fuels overnight, or that it will be easy, but we could certainly do a lot more.

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Mar 28, 2013, 09:12PM »

A train derailing, spilling 30,000 gallons of oil is still not a reason to build Keystone XL pipeline.
BY CHRIS TACKETT IN ENERGY DISASTERS

A train hauling crude oil from Canada has derailed in Minnesota spilling 30,000 gallons of oil. Despite what proponents of the Keystone XL pipeline may argue, this is not a good reason to build that pipeline.

TransCanada — Keystone XL Pipeline — Pipeline Safety — Shutoff Valves from TransCanada on Vimeo.
As the nice TransCanada video explains, they are using some fancy shutoff valves, so nothing could go seriously wrong, as long as no sensors ever fail or there are no problems with the satellite communication, which never happens as anyone with a cell phone or satellite TV can attest!
LOL. Good freaking luck with that!

Sydney Australia

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Apr 02, 2013, 06:50PM »

Study shows a walk in the park fixes a fuzzy brain.
BY JAYMI HEIMBUCH

The evidence keeps rolling in: when you need to clear your head, the best place to do it is out among the trees.

from the New York Times:
The study suggests that, right about now, you should consider “taking a break from work,” Dr. Roe said, and “going for a walk in a green space or just sitting, or even viewing green spaces from your office window.” This is not unproductive lollygagging, Dr. Roe helpfully assured us. “It is likely to have a restorative effect and help with attention fatigue and stress recovery.”

RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: Apr 13, 2013, 07:44AM »

As far as wind farms are concerned, I think there's some work to be done yet! Driving down the motorway yesterday, I passed a block of a dozen or so "windmills", all of which were facing in different directions and only one of which was turning. If the "powers that be" are going to install these ugly buggers everywhere, they could at least ensure the things work....

When discussing the value of the Amazon rainforests and why they shouldn't be cut down, many people witter on about unknown animal species, indigenous populations, possible new cancer cures etc. However, they are much more important and commercially valuable as a "sink" for carbon dioxide. Paying to maintain the rainforests would be much cheaper and more efficient than seeking new sources of low-emitting energy sources.

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/where_we_work/amazon/about_the_amazon/why_amazon_important/

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: