Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066417 Posts in 70881 Topics- by 18685 Members - Latest Member: MattG1116
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great American Trombone Co.  (Read 4312 times)
« on: May 24, 2002, 08:02PM »

Hi, recently I was given a CD as a gift, the CD is called "Bobby Knight's Great American Trombone Company".  I Highly recomend the recording, it's a great group of six trombones and rythm section.  Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else had heard of them, and if there were some other CDs they might have put out, and where I might find them.  The CD I have is a live recording from a place called "Dante's".  Thanks.

- Kevin Bryson
JP

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 10:58PM »

I believe that CD is also known as "Cream of The Crop"

It is one of my favorites. Carl Fontana and Frank Rosolino are at the top of their prime, playing incredibly; and the rest of the section (Charlie Loper, Lew McCreary, Bobby Knight, and especially Phil Theele on bass trombone) seemed to know it and delivered with them. The only thing I don't care for too much is the arrangement of  Star Wars--not the playing, it is stellar like the rest of the CD, but the chart itself.

It was recorded (1978) shortly after the first Star Wars movie, and so it is understandable that they were trying to present something "current".

I have seen ads for it in the ITA Journal, I got mine from Steve Ferguson.

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
denny seifried

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2002, 07:08AM »

Kevin & JP,

Thls is is one of my all-time favorites, also! I have emailed Bobby Knight several times to tell him how great this CD is!

Interesting story Bobby told me in one of the emails: I told Bobby that he was one of the first bass trombonists I had ever seen, (keep in mind this was 1959 and bass trombone was just starting to be played in big bands). While in high school, I had the great pleasure of attending a Stan Kenton concert at Ohio Northern Univ. in Ada, OH.

Yes, Bobby Knight and, I believe, Jim Amlotte, were the bass trombones, and Bobby remembered the concert very well, as he had just came onto the band a couple of days before this gig.

Denny Seifried
Bass Trombone
Dayton Jazz Orchestra, Jazz Central Big Band, Mojo Brass & Springfield (OH) Symphony
BBb Tuba Ohio Valley British Brass Band (OVBBB) & Western Ohio Tuba Quartet
Adjunct Trombone-Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2003, 09:41AM »

I hate to revive such an old thread, but this album is terrific! Today is the first chance I've had to listen to it and I'm absolutely knocked out! Terrific stuff! I highly recommend this album. Wow!
ChrisButcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2003, 12:46PM »

Ya great cd. The only disappointment is the trombone battle between Rosolino (with the Buzz-Woww mute) and Carl Fontana. Fontana isn't miced properly so hes almost impossible to hear.

The main thing a musician would like to do is to give a picture to the listener of the many wonderful things he knows and senses in the universe-John Coltrane
Rodney Lancaster
Rodney Lancaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2003, 05:16PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Bryson: I was wondering if anyone else had heard of them, and if there were some other CDs they might have put out,
Back to your question: The "LP" (remember those?) was a one time thing.  Mr. Knight moved away from LA shortly thereafter.  Of course, that's him playing "When I Fall In Love."      

What's Bobby doing lately?  Anyone?  I know he was in Denton, TX in the 80's

Rodney Lancaster, D.M.A.
www.rodneylancaster.com
facebook.com/thejazztrombone
646 450-0257
Rodney Lancaster
Rodney Lancaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2003, 05:31PM »

On kind of a side note:  (add a grain of salt)

Bobby once told me that he didn't get along with the other bass trombonist on Kenton's band.  One night they almost got into a fight.  Kenton separated them making them play on opposite sides of the trombone section.

Hence: When the Kenton band did camps, the student bands took note and followed suit with 4th & 5th bones apart from each other.  A tradition that is still followed at North Texas as far as I know.  Maybe other schools as well.

Rodney Lancaster, D.M.A.
www.rodneylancaster.com
646 450-0257
Jeff Albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2003, 07:19PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Lancaster:

What's Bobby doing lately?  Anyone?  I know he was in Denton, TX in the 80's

I saw him in a club in New Orleans in the early 90's.  I was playing, he was in town for a convention.  He came up and complimented the band and introduced himself to me.  I was familiar with that LP, so it was pretty cool.  He was a really nice cat.  I think he said he was selling real estate or something, but I don't remember for sure.

He told a great story about one gig with the band.  Ray Brown was playing bass, but he hadn't made any rehearsals.  Fontana was late for the gig.  Carl knew that Bobby would call his feature as soon as he walked in since he was late, so Carl warmed up on his mouthpiece in the cab.  As soon as Carl got to the stand, Bobby called Strike up the Band which had an 8 bar solo break for Carl.  He said what Carl played on that break was so amazing that Ray Brown forgot to come back in after the break.

Rodney Lancaster
Rodney Lancaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2003, 09:03PM »

quote:
Fontana was late for the gig.  Carl knew that Bobby would call his feature as soon as he walked in since he was late, so Carl warmed up on his mouthpiece in the cab.  As soon as Carl got to the stand, Bobby called Strike up the Band which had an 8 bar solo break for Carl.  
He told me the same story.  I have no doubt it's true.  But we are talking about the album gig.  Carl was running behind getting to Dante's.  He had to warm up on his mouthpiece in case Bobby called his feature right away.  Trying to bust Carl's b*lls, he called it first.

Rodney Lancaster, D.M.A.
www.rodneylancaster.com
646 450-0257
Rodney Lancaster
Rodney Lancaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2003, 09:08PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Albert:
He told a great story about one gig with the band.  

The one gig was Dante's.  The recording of "Cream of the Crop."

I am interested to know as well.  So please correct me if I am wrong.  I was under the impression that the band was put together for that recording gig at Dante's.

Does anyone know differently?

Rodney Lancaster, D.M.A.
www.rodneylancaster.com
646 450-0257
Jeff Albert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2003, 04:59AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Lancaster:
The one gig was Dante's.  The recording of "Cream of the Crop."

I am interested to know as well.  So please correct me if I am wrong.  I was under the impression that the band was put together for that recording gig at Dante's.

Does anyone know differently?

I don't really know, but I got the impression from that one conversation with Bobby that the band played more gigs than just the recording.

stonebone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2003, 08:58PM »

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisButcher:
Ya great cd. The only disappointment is the trombone battle between Rosolino (with the Buzz-Woww mute) and Carl Fontana. Fontana isn't miced properly so hes almost impossible to hear.

Chris, I agree that a lot of the solos are undermiked, but I think the trombone battle is great. I actually hear Carl pretty well on that track. Great, great CD. It's a must for all my students.

Rob Stoneback
The Rob Stoneback Big Band
Whitehall, PA
ChrisButcher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2003, 06:28AM »

The playing in the battle is awesome just that Carl is undermiked. Maybe I'm thinking of a different track on the cd. It's been a while since I listened to it.

The main thing a musician would like to do is to give a picture to the listener of the many wonderful things he knows and senses in the universe-John Coltrane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: