Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092751 Posts in 72323 Topics- by 19429 Members - Latest Member: 17williarw
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentTechnology(Moderator: john sandhagen) Smartphones/PDAs not connecting to TTF
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 [All]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Smartphones/PDAs not connecting to TTF  (Read 65930 times)
rlb
Demiurge

"Hails of derisive laughter, Bruce!"

View Profile WWW
« on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:05AM »

If you are one of those unfortunate souls whose smartphone is no longer connecting to TTF, please do the following.

1.  Visit http://www.whatsmyip.org/ and discover what IP your device is broadcasting, and,
2.  Post a reply in this topic with what that IP is.

This will assist me in tracking down the issue.

r

Dr. Richard L. Byrd, Forum Director
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
   --Bertrand Russell, 1950
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:51AM »

I use a BB pearl with T-Mobile and my IP address is: 77.158.132.214

Thanks

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
rlb
Demiurge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:13AM »

Dusty, are you in Germany?

Also, all:  When you post your IP, please also add where you are geographically located.  Thanks.

r

Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
   --Bertrand Russell, 1950
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:16AM »

I'm located in Houston Texas.

Energy City Big Band
rlb
Demiurge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:36AM »

I thought so.

However, a lookup on your IP is...interesting.

General Information

Hostname:   77.158.132.214
      ISP:   freenet Cityline GmbH
      Organization:   freenet Cityline GmbH
      Proxy:   None detected
      Type:   Cable/DSL
      Blacklist:   

Geo-Location Information

State/Region:   10
      City:   Kiel
      Latitude:   54.3333
      Longitude:   10.1333
      Area Code:   

--Bertrand Russell, 1950
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:39AM »

I use a Sprint BB Curve.

Houston, TX
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:51AM »

I'll ask my teenage son if he knows what you want, b/c i have no idea.

pm with instructions if you would like, otherwise......

the only time I ever got TTF on my phone was via the internet and the pages were too big to read.

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:27AM »

Richard,

I have a BlackBerry Curve.  My provider is Verizon and the query you requested says 68.171.235.248

I'm located in Montgomery, Alabama.   :)

And thanks for working to find a solution for this.  I know it's probably a frustrating problem to try to track down. 

Alea
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2009, 07:54PM by tbone62 » Logged

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
jakeway1
Jakeway1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:54AM »

Richsrd,

Blackberry World Edition-Verizon-101.220.166.134. Located in Manasquan, NJ.

I was unable to connect through the server at work for a while, but that is not happening now.

Ken Jackson

Ive been banned from bars, and barred from bands! - Don Joseph
I would of known the difference between "of" and "have", but I of not been educated. Of a nice day!!
King 2B+
King 3B
LT N 102.C.C2/C3
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:55PM »

Richard--

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 from Verizon Wireless, and my IP on the Blackberry is 141.208.222.29 I am located in Walla Walla, Washington.

Thanks for working on this.

Galen McQuarrie

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.  Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."  Dizzy Gillespie
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:11PM »

Located in Massachusetts.
I get a 403 error when I try to connect via phone.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:27PM »

[AOL doesn't connect either - I use alternates.]

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2009, 11:41AM »

I don't know if it's a connected problem, but I can no longer access TTF from my works computer. Richard, I think you have details of this.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:35PM »

Hey, look at that. My "smart" phone no longer connects to the forum.  :(

What's My IP gives me a blank square as my IP, but other sites indicates 166.216.224.9 and 166.216.224.15.

Just let me know if anything else is needed!

POS Motorola on AT&T in CA, btw.

;-)

let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it
jnoxon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2009, 12:39PM »

Blackberry 9700 from T Mobile the IP is 68.171.234.155

Williams Horns since 1969! Model 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Multiples of each...
Malec Heermans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2009, 03:56PM »

219.210.169.230 BB Curve Tmobile Brooklyn NY.

malecheermans.com
Shires T25/7GM8/7YM/Rotor - Hammond 13ML
Brisko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2009, 06:55AM »

216.25.247.247, LG Env3, Minneapolis MN area

"Even a blind hog finds a kernel of corn now and again."
kevinconner75

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:26AM »

I don't know if my operator has any interference with TTF or not.

Hi, this is Kevin, and I have Been working in the credit card processing job for about 12 years
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:57PM »

TTF works just fine on my cellphone (Nokia) here in Oz, on IP address 203.202.52.112.

However, like RHM, I can't access it at work - I get a 403 error. I'm not at work now, so can't give you the IP address at work.

I don't know if it's connected, but I think it's been like that since that DNS issue a while back. Could it be some weird DNS propagation thing on services that use private DNS servers? I know BlackBerry uses it's own infrastructure / proxy for surfing, for example, rather than the ones maintained by the cellco/ISP. Similarly at work, where out IT dept has their own DNS servers.

I also note that, when at work, if I type the TTF URL I get a 403, but if I enter the IP address (216.139.89.3) I get a database error (which I also get at home), which indicates they are pointing at different things.

Disclaimer: I barely know what I am talking about, so that last bit might be complete gibberish.

Supplementary question: Why isn't it possible to access the TTF using the IP address, rather than the URL? Is it because of some need to parse the http request to discover which database to connect to?
If it were possible to get to TTF from the IP address, it might work as a work-around for people having connection issues - for example to default to the TTF database in the absence of a URL.
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2009, 02:00PM »

I still remember the DNS issue. It actually occurred approximately a day (maybe two) after my BlackBerry gave up the TTF. (It continues not to function) The Dept. Veteran's Affairs computers also give the same error. incidentally, both the BlackBerry and the VA System are on proxy servers. My home computer is not. I too suspect that there is a problem with proxy server handling. I sure wish I had the access I used to have. You would think that it wouldn't be that big a problem for someone with access to the forum system to correct but then,  Don't know 

Galen McQuarrie

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.  Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."  Dizzy Gillespie
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:39PM »

In a further update, I did a 'tracert' at work today to see where tromboneforum.org resolved to when at work.

It resolved to 216.139.89.3, which seems to be correct (the trace didn't finish, however, it timed out after about 4 hops). But I still get the 403 error (or the database error, depending on whether I enter the URL or IP address)

I don't know whether that helps.
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2010, 05:35AM »

Bump...

Has their been any findings on the causality of the BB's not working?

FWIW, I'm able to login into other forums, but not able to even view this one, still.

Thanks
Dusty

Energy City Big Band
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2010, 05:41AM »

i can get on w/ no problem with my verizon's motoralla droid

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2010, 06:41AM »

Bump...

Has their been any findings on the causality of the BB's not working?

FWIW, I'm able to login into other forums, but not able to even view this one, still.

Thanks
Dusty

I dont see why you'd want to. Mine worked at one point and all it would show was text. You couldn't access your account and everything was really blown up. It was honestly more trouble than it was worth. IMHO.
If you have an Ipod/Iphone, I've found that the forum browsing experience on that was pretty acceptable. But definitely not on the BB.
The Bone Ranger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2010, 07:14AM »

I get a big "FORBIDDEN" when I try to access the forum on my iphone.

IP: 58.163.175.133. I'm in Adelaide, South Australia.

Andrew
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2010, 11:38AM »

ddickerson writes:

> Has their been any findings on the causality of the BB's not working?

The owner of the "tromboneforum.org" domain is the only person with the capability to deal with problems like this, and it does not appear that he has attended to any maintenance or support issues for a very long time now.  He does not appear even to have logged in here since last December.  To the best of my knowledge he does not even communicate with the staff on a regular basis anymore.  In short, the site is on autopilot.

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2010, 11:52AM »

I haven't had any issue with connecting to my forum via a Palm Treo 700P over verizon's standard broadband network (Not 3G), for whatever it's worth.

If anything, it's been more stable than my PC being able to connect.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 24, 2010, 12:05PM »

I hope nothing is wrong

I think the site is running fine (I know that this could be see as a "suck up" - but it is my truthful opinion.)

I can sympathize - it must take a lot of work to run this site and some of you folks are lucky enough to be employed and have families you have to split  your valuable time.  I'm just lucky enough to have family and perhaps some trombone friends here on the forums

Allen
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 24, 2010, 01:03PM »

The Bone Ranger writes:

> I get a big "FORBIDDEN" when I try to access the forum on my iphone.

I would hazard to guess that this happens when your iPhone is connected to the outside world via your cellular carrier's network, but that everything works just fine when you're connected via WiFi.  Is this correct?  AOL users have reported similar problems.  When they try to access TTF using the browser in AOL's client software they see the "forbidden" message, too.  If they just use the AOL client to establish the network connection and then use another browser to reach TTF, everything works just fine.

What do these two scenarios have in common?  A proxy server.  AOL's native browser handles page requests through an AOL proxy.  Data traffic on a cell phone is also handled through a proxy server, which must encapsulate TCP/IP traffic from the Internet in the protocol used on the cellular carrier's network to get it to the customer's phone.

Since the AOL problems and the cellular problems all started to occur at the same time, they are clearly related.  The question is who is sending the "forbidden" response (HTTP error code 403), the TTF host or the proxy?  To put it another way, is the TTF host denying access to these third-party proxy servers, or are multiple proxy servers supported by multiple carriers all denying their customers access to the TTF host?  The first possibility seems far more likely than the second.

That, FWIW, is my arm's distance analysis of the problem.

John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2010, 01:06PM »

Todd- proxy or DNS?

Try using Google DNS in place of your router's DNS (Server 1: 8.8.8.8, server 2: 8.8.4.4) and see if you experience the same issues maybe?

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Apr 24, 2010, 01:53PM »

John writes:

> proxy or DNS?

A DNS problem would result in an inability to complete a connection.  Nothing in this scenario suggests there is any problem establishing a connection.  The fact that there's an HTTP response code indicates that communication has, in fact, been established.  If the proxy couldn't reach the target host, it would not return an HTTP 403 error.  Once the HTTP request reaches the target host, DNS is not involved; a socket between the proxy and the web server is already open, so there's no need for the server to resolve a name to an IP address.

> Try using Google DNS...and see if you experience the same issues

I'm not experiencing the problem myself, but others who are might want to give this a try (assuming their phones permit them to select a DNS server, which some probably don't.)  Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect this to have any effect.

tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Apr 24, 2010, 04:27PM »

John writes:

> proxy or DNS?

A DNS problem would result in an inability to complete a connection.  Nothing in this scenario suggests there is any problem establishing a connection.  The fact that there's an HTTP response code indicates that communication has, in fact, been established.  If the proxy couldn't reach the target host, it would not return an HTTP 403 error.  Once the HTTP request reaches the target host, DNS is not involved; a socket between the proxy and the web server is already open, so there's no need for the server to resolve a name to an IP address.

> Try using Google DNS...and see if you experience the same issues

I'm not experiencing the problem myself, but others who are might want to give this a try (assuming their phones permit them to select a DNS server, which some probably don't.)  Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect this to have any effect.

I'm finding it frustrating, but am hopeful it will be resolved.  I get messages related to Forum issues sometimes and need to be able to check in during the day, but can't.  I've tried every browser configuration available on my BlackBerry Tour (Verizon is my carrier) and still no dice.  I can access the Open Horn, which looks like it uses the same forum software (perhaps a different version) but not TTF.  The site manager had mentioned at one point, I think in Announcements, that he hoped to have some sort of solution by January or so of this year. Obviously that didn't happen for some reason.

Perhaps he'll stop in here and give us an update at some point.  :)

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: Apr 27, 2010, 05:02AM »

Another option to try if you can't get your normal smartphone browser to work is to try Opera Mini.

Opera Mini works through an Opera server that connects to the web, before packaging up the page to send to your phone, so bypasses your normal route to the internet. It might just work. Or it might not.

(Make sure you get Opera Mini, not Opera Mobile. Opera Mobile is a regular browser, so will get the same issue.)

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 27, 2010, 05:30AM »

Well, I just traded in my BB pearl for a BB Curve, and I still get the same message. Forbidden, I think, and Todd is correct. His scenario makes the most sense, since we're theorizing second hand.

Thanks!

Energy City Big Band
D Gibson
« Reply #34 on: Apr 27, 2010, 06:32AM »

Well, I just traded in my BB pearl for a BB Curve, and I still get the same message. Forbidden, I think, and Todd is correct. His scenario makes the most sense, since we're theorizing second hand.

Thanks!

i have the new BB Bold.  i am connected via my wi-fi at home and still can't access the site.  i'm forbidden. 

dg
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 27, 2010, 06:40AM »

i have the new BB Bold.  i am connected via my wi-fi at home and still can't access the site.  i'm forbidden. 

dg

I use T-Mobile. If this could be an ISP issue, are there any T-Mobile users that can access this site?

Energy City Big Band
D Gibson
« Reply #36 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:08AM »

I use T-Mobile. If this could be an ISP issue, are there any T-Mobile users that can access this site?

for the record, i'm tmobile, too.  but, i'm accessing via my wi-fi signal.

dg
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:18AM »

Dave- could you take a digipic of your error message when you try to access the site on your blackberry through your WiFi?

D Gibson
« Reply #38 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:28AM »

Dave- could you take a digipic of your error message when you try to access the site on your blackberry through your WiFi?

there's no option to do so within the browser program.  the page says "403 Forbidden-you don't have permission to access/on this server"

dg
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:34AM »

there's no option to do so within the browser program.  the page says "403 Forbidden-you don't have permission to access/on this server"

dg

And you obviously don't have any error accessing the website through the same connection through your computer...

I can't help but wonder if it might be a problem with the base RIM browser with the blackberry...

Have you tried downloading Opera Mini for your BB, to see if maybe it's some code on the website that says "I don't recognize this browser, therefore I don't like it"?

Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: Apr 27, 2010, 08:30AM »

I woould pitch-in $$$ to have a good iPhone app created for TFF.

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.tommattabigband.com
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 27, 2010, 10:48AM »

Tom writes:

> I would pitch-in $$$ to have a good iPhone app created for TFF.

The SMF software on which TTF runs supports the concept of themes (sometimes called "skins") that allow a site to customize its forum's appearance.  SMF 2.0, which is still in beta test, includes a theme called SMF4iPhone that optimizes SMF content on iPhones and other mobile devices (follow the link for screenshots.)

Alas, TTF is running a beta version of SMF 1.1 that's more than four years old.  There's also the small problem that the site has no apparent system administration support anymore....

Burgerbob

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 27, 2010, 12:01PM »

My Zune HD running the ported IE won't view the site either.

Edit: I can only use my HD on a wifi network.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2010, 04:09PM by Burgerbob » Logged

Brasslab 50T3, Greg Glack 1G .312 #2
Bach 50B, ditto
Bach 50B2, ditto
Conn 60H, ditto
Bach 42B, Greg Black NY 1.25
Bach 42BG, ditto
Conn 6H, Yamaha 48
Yamaha YEP-842S, Schilke 53/59
Yamaha YBH-301MS, Hammond 12XL
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Apr 27, 2010, 02:55PM »

PL writes:

> Another option to try if you can't get your normal smartphone
> browser to work is to try Opera Mini.  Opera Mini works through
> an Opera server that connects to the web, before packaging up
> the page to send to your phone

That Opera server is a proxy.  If my theory is correct, Opera Mini may fail as well.  It would certainly be interesting to find out.

dg writes:

> i am connected via my wi-fi at home and still can't access the site.

Okay, this answers one question and begs the next:  can anyone get *any* device that experiences this problem on the cellular network to connect successfully via WiFi?

It's possible that due to its design the Blackberry browser, like Opera Mini, requires its content to be preprocessed by a proxy server, presumably in an effort to reduce bandwidth requirements and improve performance.  If this is the case all requests would have to pass through the proxy regardless of whether you're connected via WiFi or the cellular network.

BFW
Pun Gent

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Apr 27, 2010, 04:06PM »

I can connect via my Droid smartphone.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 27, 2010, 04:47PM »

I can connect via my Droid smartphone.

i can get on w/ no problem with my verizon's motoralla droid

that makes 2 of us

Allen
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: Apr 28, 2010, 02:30AM »

So I just tried Opera Mini. It works fine; I can connect to TTF.

That suggests that the Opera servers connect OK to TTF. However, I can also access TTF fine on my phone already, so it would be interesting for someone who can't to try this experiment.

The easiest way to get Opera Mini on your phone is to use your regular phone browser to go to m.opera.com. There should be a download link there for your device.

NB I can't check to see if I can log in, because my user name has an underbar (_) in it, and the implementation of text input in Opera Mini does not allow me to input characters not directly on the keyboard of the phone (I have a Nokia E72). Very frustrating, which would make Opera no use to me for this. So beware if you have funny characters in your username or password!
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Apr 28, 2010, 04:25AM »

That suggests that the Opera servers connect OK to TTF. However, I can also access TTF fine on my phone already, so it would be interesting for someone who can't to try this experiment.

I'll give this a try today and report back in this evening.  I have no access whatsoever from my BlackBerry at the moment, so if it works for me it will be great.  Thanks for posting.  :)

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Apr 28, 2010, 02:57PM »

Posting with my BlackBerry using Opera Mini!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: Apr 29, 2010, 12:07AM »

hurrah!

Posting this from my phone too, but not using Opera!!

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Apr 29, 2010, 07:52AM »

So I just tried Opera Mini. It works fine; I can connect to TTF.

The easiest way to get Opera Mini on your phone is to use your regular phone browser to go to m.opera.com. There should be a download link there for your device.

NB I can't check to see if I can log in, because my user name has an underbar (_) in it, and the implementation of text input in Opera Mini does not allow me to input characters not directly on the keyboard of the phone (I have a Nokia E72). Very frustrating, which would make Opera no use to me for this. So beware if you have funny characters in your username or password!

If I install opera mobile on my blackberry, can I uninstall it later, if I don't like it?

EDIT:
OK - i installed it anyway - opera mini 5.0 i think it was.
Still same error message when I try to go to this forum.

Energy City Big Band
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: Apr 29, 2010, 02:59PM »

That is very bizarre - that it would work on one phone and not another, as the actual request to the ttf site would come from the same place - the Opera server.

Wierd.

tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Apr 29, 2010, 03:41PM »

If I install opera mobile on my blackberry, can I uninstall it later, if I don't like it?

EDIT:
OK - i installed it anyway - opera mini 5.0 i think it was.
Still same error message when I try to go to this forum.

I'm still able to access TTF today using Opera Mini with my BlackBerry.  I cannot access www.m.tromboneforum.org, even with Opera - I get an error message.  I have to go to the regular address www.tromboneforum.org

Which address were you trying to access?  Are you getting the 403 error with both addresses? 

Also:  I installed Opera Mini on mine, got myself all confused with the installation, was able to uninstall it, and then reinstalled it yesterday.  So I think you should be able to uninstall if you want to. 

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Apr 30, 2010, 06:12AM »

I'm still able to access TTF today using Opera Mini with my BlackBerry.  I cannot access www.m.tromboneforum.org, even with Opera - I get an error message.  I have to go to the regular address www.tromboneforum.org

Which address were you trying to access?  Are you getting the 403 error with both addresses? 

Also:  I installed Opera Mini on mine, got myself all confused with the installation, was able to uninstall it, and then reinstalled it yesterday.  So I think you should be able to uninstall if you want to. 

I was only using the www.tromboneforum.org. I didn't know of the other URL. Here let me try it.

Thanks

EDIT:

www.m.tromboneforum.org is not a valid URL.

Energy City Big Band
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Apr 30, 2010, 10:07AM »

ddickerson writes:

> > I cannot access www.m.tromboneforum.org
>
> www.m.tromboneforum.org  is not a valid URL.

I'm not sure where Alea came up with that URL; it's a new one on me.  The URL I've always used for the mobile version of the Forum is "http://tromboneforum.org/?wap=2".  Can anyone reach this URL who *can't* reach the main URL?

BFW
Pun Gent

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Apr 30, 2010, 11:29AM »

I think Alea meant m.tromboneforum.org (no www).

Brian

tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Apr 30, 2010, 04:48PM »

I think Alea meant m.tromboneforum.org (no www).

Um....yeah, you're right - that's the one I was thinking of.  Embarrassed!  It's been a long time since since the last time I tried it.  When I try that one with the regular browser, I get the "HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timeout" error message.

Todd, I tried the one you suggested ( http://tromboneforum.org/?wap=2 ) and that didn't work on mine. 

Now, with Opera Mini, I can still access TTF with no problem.  I'm guessing that Opera keeps the TTF software or something else in between from knowing I'm using a BlackBerry? 

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2010, 12:10AM »

I just confirmed that the name "m.tromboneforum.org" is no longer known to DNS.  It must have been deleted by the owner of the "tromboneforum.org" domain.

Alea writes:

> When I try [m.tromboneforum.org] with the regular browser,
> I get the "HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timeout" error message.

Okay, that confirms the presence of a proxy server.  A 504 error is returned by a proxy (gateway) server when it sends a request to a web server (m.tromboneforum.org) on behalf of a client (your web browser) and fails to receive a response within some period of time.  This strikes me as an odd response, though; the fact that you received a reply from the proxy implies that you sent a request, but I would have expected your browser to do the DNS look-up and throw an error before sending a request.  Perhaps in the Blackberry environment (about which I know bupkis) the proxy handles the DNS look-up as well as the HTTP request, and perhaps it was the DNS request that timed out.  Can you recreate this error on demand?

While re-reading this thread to review what works and what doesn't I ran across a question PL asked a while back that went unanswered:

> Why isn't it possible to access the TTF using
> the IP address rather than the [domain name]?

The server at 216.139.89.3 is currently known by the following names:

• brokenconsort.com
  • classifieds.tromboneforum.org
  • cookbook.tromboneforum.org
  • goliard.net
  • openhorn.com
  • samburtis.com
  • search.tromboneforum.org
  • tromboneforum.org

and possibly others.  These are all virtual domains that are handled by the same web server (i.e. a single Apache instance), which hands requests off to the appropriate virtual server based on the host name in the URL.  Most virtual server environments are configured to return a meaningful page rather than an ugly database error if a request is sent to the server's raw IP address, but apparently this one isn't.

tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2010, 05:24PM »

I just confirmed that the name "m.tromboneforum.org" is no longer known to DNS.  It must have been deleted by the owner of the "tromboneforum.org" domain.

Alea writes:

> When I try [m.tromboneforum.org] with the regular browser,
> I get the "HTTP Error 504: Gateway Timeout" error message.

Okay, that confirms the presence of a proxy server.  A 504 error is returned by a proxy (gateway) server when it sends a request to a web server (m.tromboneforum.org) on behalf of a client (your web browser) and fails to receive a response within some period of time.  This strikes me as an odd response, though; the fact that you received a reply from the proxy implies that you sent a request, but I would have expected your browser to do the DNS look-up and throw an error before sending a request.  Perhaps in the Blackberry environment (about which I know bupkis) the proxy handles the DNS look-up as well as the HTTP request, and perhaps it was the DNS request that timed out.  Can you recreate this error on demand? 

Yes, I got the 504 error again when I tried it just now.  When I said I wanted more information, I got the following:

The requested URL could not be retrieved.  While trying to retrieve the URL: http://m.tromboneforum.org/

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for m.tromboneforum.org

The dnsserver returned:

Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL. Check if the address is correct. 

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2010, 07:14PM »

Okay, then it's as I speculated above -- the proxy server handles the DNS look-up as well as the HTTP request, which makes a lot of sense since the proxy is Internet-facing and the browser isn't.  In retrospect I guess the 504 error makes sense, too.  It merely indicates that the HTTP request could not be completed, which is true; the fact that it could not be completed because the DNS look-up failed is incidental.

Note also that this pretty much eliminates the possibility that the 403 (forbidden) errors are due to a DNS problem since we know now that the proxy throws 504 (gateway timeout) errors when it encounters DNS problems -- or at least we know this is true of the Opera proxy, and it's probably safe to assume it's true of the cellular carriers' proxies as well.

I'm pretty well convinced at this point that the TTF server is, in fact, throwing the 403 errors, i.e. denying service to some (but not all) proxy servers, and that these proxies are merely relaying this fact back to their clients.  A quick peak at the TTF server logs would confirm or dismiss this theory.  It's a real shame the TTF staff doesn't have access to these logs.

Alea, when the 403 error occurs in the native Blackberry browser, is there a "more information" option like the one you described above for the 504 error, or is that a function of Opera Mini?

tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2010, 07:59PM »

Alea, when the 403 error occurs in the native Blackberry browser, is there a "more information" option like the one you described above for the 504 error, or is that a function of Opera Mini?

The 504 error and the "more information" I described above was the result of using my native BlackBerry browser. I had not at that time tried accessing m.tromboneforum.org using Opera.

I just tried it with OperaMini, though, and am getting something a little different:

ERROR!  Could not locate remote server

You tried to access the address http://m.tromboneforum.org/, which is currently unavailable.  Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

*Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other application that rely on the same connection are working. 

It's not giving me a numbered error labeled as such, but going straight to an explanation of what's happening. 

Using the native BlackBerry browser and trying to access http://www.tromboneforum.org, I get: 
HTTP Error 403: Forbidden.  You are not authorized to view this page.  Please try loading a different page.

When I ask for more information, it tells me:

Forbidden:  You don't have permission to access/ on this server.

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2010, 09:37PM »

interesting... the mobile display for this site has changed significantly in the past few days, much fewer 'background images' to muddy up the connection speed.

Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2010, 07:58AM »

Alea writes:

> Using the native BlackBerry browser and trying to access
> http://www.tromboneforum.org, I get:
>
> > HTTP Error 403: Forbidden.  You are not authorized to
> > view this page.  Please try loading a different page.

Just for grins, let's take this suggestion and try to load another page.  Do you get the same error if you try to access, say:

> http://tromboneforum.org/meetthestaff.php

which is a static page that's not processed by PHP or SMF?  It's possible, albeit unlikely, that the problem only occurs on the home page, or on pages served by SMF, or on.....  You get the idea.

I think this is most likely to be an Apache configuration problem.  If you search Google for "Apache, proxy, 403 errors" you'll discover a myriad of ways in which one can screw up an Apache configuration file and create exactly the kind of problem we're discussing here.  Since the host on which TTF runs supports seven other sites as well, it's entirely possible that the system administrator changed something in the Apache configuration in the interest of one of these other sites that had a deleterious effect on this site.  Not only is this scenario feasible, it's the one I'd put my money on if anyone wants to make book.

tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2010, 09:23AM »

Just for grins, let's take this suggestion and try to load another page.  Do you get the same error if you try to access, say:

> http://tromboneforum.org/meetthestaff.php

Did that (native BB browser), got the 403 error again.  :)

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2010, 08:59PM »

Did that (native BB browser), got the 403 error again.  :)

I did also. >:(

Galen McQuarrie

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2010, 06:27PM »

I installed opera mini on my blackberry 8520 today and was able to log onto the forum sucessfully, whereas, I could not do that using the native browser on the black berry.

The easiest way I got to the forum was to click on the reply link from a PM sent to me, and then choose the opera mini as the browser. it then asked me for my username and password, and all joy after that!

FWIW

Dusty

Energy City Big Band
D Gibson
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2010, 09:17AM »

it shouldn't be that difficult.  is anyone working on resolving the issue? 
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2010, 09:31AM »

it shouldn't be that difficult.  is anyone working on resolving the issue? 

The only one who has access to the part of the Forum that addresses this problem is Richard Byrd.

And we haven't heard any progress reports lately, or we'd pass any information along.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2010, 11:14AM »

I installed Opera Mini 10 for Keyboard on my Motorola Q9 phone.  I have Verizon Wireless.  Don't know the IP address my phone gave, but I was able to log into the Forum and browse.  Opera Mini is much nicer than Internet Explorer.

I tried to post a message, but the phone would only let me type 1 sentence and then refused to send it.  I think this is more a local problem than a Forum problem.

Bruce Guttman
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2010, 07:11PM »

I can pretty much do whatever I want to do on the Trombone Forum using my BlackBerry as long as I access it via Opera Mini.  I cannot access it via a "regular" browser from the BlackBerry.  It still seems to be some sort of issue with the BlackBerry being recognized as such by TTF or something peculiar to TTF.  I say this because the Open Horn and one or two other forums I visit from time to time use the same kind of software as TTF (SMF software), and I am easily able to access them with the native BlackBerry software that came installed on my BlackBerry, rather than having to utilize Opera Mini, which is essentially a work-around. 

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
Thomas Matta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: Jul 10, 2010, 11:18PM »

So - the underlying software for TTF would have to first be upgraded/updated before an iPhone app would be possible?

While web surfing (and access to TTF) is pretty reliable on my iPhone 3GS, I am certain my visits to TTF would increase 10-fold if there were a good iPhone app available. Facebook and Yelp are great on the iPhone - I visit them both while away from my desktop....Those are the 2 "social" I use most on my phone.

I'm just sayin'!!!!

Thomas Matta
Associate Professor of Jazz Studies, DePaul University
www.tommattabigband.com
D Gibson
« Reply #71 on: Jul 11, 2010, 09:47AM »

I can pretty much do whatever I want to do on the Trombone Forum using my BlackBerry as long as I access it via Opera Mini.  I cannot access it via a "regular" browser from the BlackBerry.  It still seems to be some sort of issue with the BlackBerry being recognized as such by TTF or something peculiar to TTF.  I say this because the Open Horn and one or two other forums I visit from time to time use the same kind of software as TTF (SMF software), and I am easily able to access them with the native BlackBerry software that came installed on my BlackBerry, rather than having to utilize Opera Mini, which is essentially a work-around. 

i tried the opera mini with my blackberry via tmobile....still no go.
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Jul 11, 2010, 07:33PM »

i tried the opera mini with my blackberry via tmobile....still no go.

Hmmm.... Well, I just don't know what it's going to take to get this fixed. TTF was working on my BlackBerry (with Verizon) but last time I tried it, it more or less locked up and wouldn't allow me to do anything.  That could just be an issue with my phone.  I haven't tried it again since that happened. 

Maybe one of these days the TTF software will be updated so it will allow easier access via mobile devices.  There are other reasons it needs an upgrade as well, but that one seems to cause the most inconvenience to the widest cross-section of TTF members at the moment. 

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: Jul 11, 2010, 08:57PM »

I recently upgraded from my Blackberry Curve 8330 to a Blackberry Bold 9650 which is a much more robust unit. However, the Opera Mini didn't work on that at all when I tried it. Like Alea, it just froze up. I guess that I'm just stuck. I have a hope that the TTF will be upgraded, but that hope is gradually fading.

Galen McQuarrie

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sep 10, 2010, 12:08PM »

Entered with a Verizon Wireless Droid

Bruce Guttman
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: Sep 11, 2010, 06:56PM »

Entered with a Verizon Wireless Droid
Well, ninner, ninner ninner! Don't know :(

Galen McQuarrie

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sep 11, 2010, 07:06PM »

Hey!  I was at my local Verizon Wireless store and used the demo to log in.

Worked much better than my Motorola Q9, where I could read but not post.

We are looking to see what works and what doesn't.

Personally, I didn't like the Droid at all.

In fact, what I did was to downgrade from the Q9 to a "dumb" phone and got a wireless adapter for my laptop that lets me run DSL from the Verizon Wireless signal.  Same money, but now I get a more reliable connection.

Bruce Guttman
Andrew

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sep 18, 2010, 07:57PM »

I upgraded my Blackberry 9650 to OS 6 (unofficially). It let me connect in the native browser, so maybe when carriers push OS 6 to capable phones it'll work.
D Gibson
« Reply #78 on: Sep 19, 2010, 10:19AM »

i just logged in on my BB for the first time EVER.  something has changed, to be sure.
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:34PM »

Surprise! I upgraded my Blackberry Bold OS to version 6.0, with a much better browser function and lo and behold I was able to log on to TTF!! will wonders never cease. (Blackberry must not be using a proxy server now.)

Galen McQuarrie

D Gibson
« Reply #80 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:00PM »

I can only log in via a wireless connection. 3G won't work.
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:05PM »

I can only log in via a wireless connection. 3G won't work.

Mine actually works with both. Thank heaven.

Galen McQuarrie

tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:49PM »

My BlackBerry is a 9630, so I think I'm still out of luck.  :(

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
JSBassTrb

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Apr 10, 2011, 04:19PM »

Just purchased the HTC inspire 4G. On at&t. TTF works excellent. Very smooth.
D Gibson
« Reply #84 on: Apr 11, 2011, 05:12AM »

My BB Bold works only through a wifi connection.
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Apr 11, 2011, 07:41PM »

I now have a DroidX and the Forum works well on it. 

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:33PM »

My Blackberry gets the access denied message when I try to go to the homepage. However, by googling something that is relevant, I get some hits from the tromboneforum.org other pages, which I can open easily, scroll to the bottom, click on the up one level as many times as needed, scroll to the bottom and login. Presto!
Then add the bookmark, there you go!

Energy City Big Band
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Apr 11, 2011, 08:40PM »

I am able to post too!!

Energy City Big Band
JSBassTrb

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:07AM »

Is this how you must access it from 3G for blackberry?
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Apr 12, 2011, 08:26AM »

I have the 8520 with t-mobile. I'm not on 3g or 4g imho. :(

Energy City Big Band
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: Jun 03, 2012, 02:34PM »

I just upgraded to the iPhone 4S. I can view the trombone forum via wifi, but I'm getting the FORBIDDEN message when trying to access via cellular network.  I have AT&T, if that means anything.

On my iPhone 4 I had no trouble at all.

Shires alto w/ yellow bell
Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5 tuning slide
Shires TB47G, 7YLW, TY tuning slide, standard rotor
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
JSBassTrb

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Jun 03, 2012, 03:10PM »

I just upgraded to the iPhone 4S. I can view the trombone forum via wifi, but I'm getting the FORBIDDEN message when trying to access via cellular network.  I have AT&T, if that means anything.

On my iPhone 4 I had no trouble at all.
Same here!

It was working up until two days ago then I got the forbidden message. I'm on the iPhone 4.
gbedinger

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Jun 03, 2012, 03:11PM »

I got the forbidden message with a 3GS.
JSBassTrb

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Jun 03, 2012, 03:12PM »

Working fine on an iPad on wifi however.
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Jun 03, 2012, 03:15PM »

Working fine on an iPad on wifi however.

Me too

Shires alto w/ yellow bell
Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5 tuning slide
Shires TB47G, 7YLW, TY tuning slide, standard rotor
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
actikid

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Jun 03, 2012, 03:32PM »

Same here!

It was working up until two days ago then I got the forbidden message. I'm on the iPhone 4.
Same for me AT&T Atrix.

You can get through if you use Proxify.com

Where was Blackwater on the morning of September 11, 2001?
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: Jun 04, 2012, 01:56AM »

I've described how I was suddenly unable to get access from the work computer. This was several years ago and I was so used to it that I'd stopped checking. However, now, I again have access from work! It's a bit of an odd view, with some text overlaying the page and no drop-downs, but there it is. Weird.

In vodka veritas
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Jun 04, 2012, 02:42AM »

I was at a location away from my normal haunts and found a "free" WiFi connection.  Worked for most of the things I normally connect to, but not TTF.  I'm sure there are other sites banned as well.

My suspicion is that we got on somebody's "banned" list when we were having a problem with a spammer and once you get on you can't get off.  It's especially frustrating when you have no idea who set up the ban so you can appeal the decision.

Bruce Guttman
nhtrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: Jun 04, 2012, 02:54AM »

Been having on and off issues with my iPhone 4 over 3G. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I get the forbidden message. FWIW, I'm using the "mobile" version of the forum.

Jim Robins
New England Area Freelance Trombonist
Instruction and performance of all styles
https://www.facebook.com/jimrobins.trombone
actikid

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Jun 04, 2012, 06:10AM »

My suspicion is that we got on somebody's "banned" list when we were having a problem with a spammer and once you get on you can't get off.  It's especially frustrating when you have no idea who set up the ban so you can appeal the decision.
There are community lists that identify suspicious IPs.  You can get off those, but you do have to request a review.

I'm not sure that is the issue, however.  It seems as if the TTF server (or host site) is intermittently rejecting a large percentage of the Internet.  I would be more suspicious of a router configuration problem.

mwpfoot
@mwpfoot

"Mark"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: Jun 11, 2012, 11:20PM »

We have a classified ads area that is allegedly transmitting script viruses.

We SHOULD be on suspicious IP lists.

Clever

let's all move to http://www.trombonechat.com, it has owners who actually support it
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Jun 12, 2012, 08:59AM »

Bruce writes:

> My suspicion is that we got on somebody's "banned" list

When you suspect this might be the case you can search for a domain name or IP address on all the "popular" blacklists (not all of which are actually blacklists, as discussed below) at BlacklistAlert.Org.

At present the "tromboneforum.org" domain appears on two lists.  The first just indicates the domain is registered anonymously.  The second indicates that TTF's mail server has been known to send spam, which is hardly a surprise since TTF uses Gmail (i.e. the server that has been known to send spam belongs to Google, not TTF.)

A couple of years ago, during a two-week period when the Forum experienced two outages and horrendously slow response times, TTF appeared on three of these blacklists for sending spam.  Soon after the webmaster fixed the problem (without acknowledging that the server had been compromised) the domain was removed from these lists.  I haven't seen it blacklisted anywhere since.

mwpfoot writes:

> We have a classified ads area that is allegedly transmitting script viruses.

Not anymore.  The classifieds site, which you may have noticed disappeared from the TTF "Goodies" menu long ago, now consists of a stark, uncontaminated HTML page that reads simply:

Quote from: TTF Classifieds
The Classifieds area is in the midst of a major upgrade.  Watch this space for the reappearance of the site, estimated to be 1 October 2011.

Bach42BOS

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Jun 18, 2012, 12:20AM »

for some reason i can't seem to access the forum when my phone is on 3G. it used to work before but lately i've been getting this error message (about two months ago). when i'm running off wireless i can access the site without problem. any ideas what might be the cause of this? i have an iphone 3GS and my carrier is AT&T. My ip address is 166.147.88.23, located in Honolulu, HI. Thanks!

JSBassTrb

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Jun 19, 2012, 02:53PM »

for some reason i can't seem to access the forum when my phone is on 3G. it used to work before but lately i've been getting this error message (about two months ago). when i'm running off wireless i can access the site without problem. any ideas what might be the cause of this? i have an iphone 3GS and my carrier is AT&T. My ip address is 166.147.88.23, located in Honolulu, HI. Thanks!

I am getting the same thing on my iPhone 4 on AT&T. It has been happening for a few months for me as well.
actikid

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Jun 19, 2012, 06:37PM »

In the past when this happened to me, the problem went away after a week or so.  This time it has been broken nearly a month.  I also have AT&T.

You can get through using a proxy service like proxify.com.  It isn't a great long-term solution, but it will work in the short term.

RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: Jun 20, 2012, 01:58AM »

That's the message which, for a year or so, appeared on my work computer. I thought perhaps someone down in the computing department had blocked the site! However, it went away by itself. Weird.

In vodka veritas
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:25PM »

I'm able to access the Forum via my 3G Verizon DroidX, if that helps anyone figure out what's up.   Don't know

-- Alea

Alea iacta est...
Captainslow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: Sep 13, 2012, 06:05AM »

Clearly the ATT Subnet is being blocked. IF you can connect with wifi and not your 3G / 4G att service there is a hosting problem. Can a Moderator submit this to the admin then to the hosting company? Seems strange that it has been going on this long.

Musical Director / Trombonist / Weekend Warrior

----HORNS----
2013 Shires .547 Dual Bore Valve
1979 Conn Victor 5h

James May - "It`s a small step in the right direction."
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: Sep 14, 2012, 12:56AM »

Captain, the admin knows all about this problem, which is one of several he's supposed to be fixing. However, he seems to have great difficulty getting arse in gear....

In vodka veritas
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Sep 28, 2012, 04:14AM »

Clearly the ATT Subnet is being blocked. IF you can connect with wifi and not your 3G / 4G att service there is a hosting problem. Can a Moderator submit this to the admin then to the hosting company? Seems strange that it has been going on this long.

I don't think that's it. I think AT&T (and some other providers) use a transparent proxy server to save bandwidth at their edge. I think the "forbidden" message is coming from this proxy server, and not from the TTF server. Could be that some of the blacklists previously mentioned are used automatically by these proxy servers and they are denying TTF on that basis.

--
Barry
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Sep 28, 2012, 04:28AM »

The banlist issue can be maddening.

I was in North Andover, MA and they had free WiFi at the Town Hall where my meeting was occurring.  I got a "ban" message from TTF while I could go to nearly every other location I wanted.  Note that I was using a laptop, not a Smartphone or PDA.  This same computer connects to TTF in lots of other locations (including my home and my workplace).

I also ran into this problem at an airport where the WiFi service refused to connect to TTF.

Is there any way to get off the Banlist?  Whom do we have to bribe convince of our chastity?

Bruce Guttman
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Sep 28, 2012, 05:54AM »

Is there any way to get off the Banlist?  Whom do we have to bribe convince of our chastity?

Don't know. Assuming my theory is correct, you'd have to either figure out which list the providers are using and then lobby whoever maintains that list to remove it, or petition directly to the provider to make an exception. Some of the ban list maintainers have fair review procedures to get sites unlisted, some don't. Good luck getting through to the right person at AT&T wireless who has the power to make any changes -- it's one of those things that I doubt even their customer support people are aware that they are using.

--
Barry
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Sep 28, 2012, 05:58AM »

That happens to me from time to time.  My VPN service, Witopia, allows me to access the site during those rare times that it happens to me. 

What's more puzzling is sometimes it doesn't let me connect with my Chrome or Safari iPhone app, but my Opera app works just fine. Confused

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sep 28, 2012, 10:52AM »

Captainslow writes:

> Clearly the ATT Subnet is being blocked.

Nope.  This problem, which has been around in one form or another for a *long* time, has also occurred on other cellular carriers as well as non-cellular ISPs.  My most recent experience with it was using a laptop on a hotel WiFi connection in the D.C. area last January.

bbocaner writes:

> I think AT&T (and some other providers) use a transparent
> proxy server to save bandwidth at their edge. I think the
> "forbidden" message is coming from this proxy server,
> and not from the TTF server.

I think this is *exactly* what is happening.  I believe there is a problem with the way the carrier/ISP proxies are configured, or possibly with the way in which the TTF server is configured to handle requests submitted through proxies.

> Could be that some of the blacklists previously mentioned
> are used automatically by these proxy servers and they are
> denying TTF on that basis.

Unlikely. TTF has not, to the best of my knowledge appeared on any blacklists for several years, and it is not currently listed at BlackListAlert.org.  And, contrary to the popular wisdom in this thread, it is very rare for non-offending (or formerly offending) sites to get "stuck" on blacklists without recourse.

A quick Google search leads me to believe this is not an uncommon problem.  I've seen several solutions that allegedly fixed the problem in similar cases:  (1) reboot the device; (2) turn on "airplane mode" for a few seconds, then turn it off again; (3) remove the name of the proxy server, if any, from the phone's APN settings.

Dunno if these solutions will help in this case (probably not), but they might at least be worth a try for those who are having problems.  The first two are completely innocuous; if you try the third be sure to make a note of the proxy server before you delete it just in case you need to restore it later.

JP

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Sep 28, 2012, 05:58PM »

I have no problems accessing TTF on my iPhone4S since I got it last January. Maybe it is a local issue. All my experience is S. California.

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
Captainslow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: Sep 28, 2012, 06:46PM »

Ok,

I will share what I have found.... I think we are in agreement but just approaching it from a different angle. The "Transparent" proxy server that my phone at ATT does exist. Mine is nycmspsrvz1ts416-dmz.mycingular.net or 198.228.200.30. If you want to find your try out this site. http://www.lagado.com/proxy-test from your mobile device. With that said the ATT proxy server is not actually generating the 403 error code. My wireshark tests show the packet actually originating from 216.139.89.3 (The Webserver hosting this site). I verified be decrypting the packet and the results contained the 403 error text. I made an over stated remark about the entire subnet. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that this IP / Proxy server that many of us are sharing on ATT is being blocked. After all we all know what a 403 error means :-) The debate is as to why and where its coming from.

See my wireshark attachment for an actual diagnostic readout.

Captainslow writes:

> Clearly the ATT Subnet is being blocked.

Nope.  This problem, which has been around in one form or another for a *long* time, has also occurred on other cellular carriers as well as non-cellular ISPs.  My most recent experience with it was using a laptop on a hotel WiFi connection in the D.C. area last January.

bbocaner writes:

> I think AT&T (and some other providers) use a transparent
> proxy server to save bandwidth at their edge. I think the
> "forbidden" message is coming from this proxy server,
> and not from the TTF server.

I think this is *exactly* what is happening.  I believe there is a problem with the way the carrier/ISP proxies are configured, or possibly with the way in which the TTF server is configured to handle requests submitted through proxies.

> Could be that some of the blacklists previously mentioned
> are used automatically by these proxy servers and they are
> denying TTF on that basis.

Unlikely. TTF has not, to the best of my knowledge appeared on any blacklists for several years, and it is not currently listed at BlackListAlert.org.  And, contrary to the popular wisdom in this thread, it is very rare for non-offending (or formerly offending) sites to get "stuck" on blacklists without recourse.

A quick Google search leads me to believe this is not an uncommon problem.  I've seen several solutions that allegedly fixed the problem in similar cases:  (1) reboot the device; (2) turn on "airplane mode" for a few seconds, then turn it off again; (3) remove the name of the proxy server, if any, from the phone's APN settings.

Dunno if these solutions will help in this case (probably not), but they might at least be worth a try for those who are having problems.  The first two are completely innocuous; if you try the third be sure to make a note of the proxy server before you delete it just in case you need to restore it later.

----HORNS----
1979 Conn Victor 5h

Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Sep 30, 2012, 07:07PM »

Captainslow writes:

> the ATT proxy server is not actually generating the
> 403 error code.  My wireshark tests show the packet
> actually originating from 216.139.89.3 (The Webserver
> hosting this site).

Good work, Captain!  AFAIK this is the first time we have actually ascertained where the 403 errors originate.  (The easy way, of course, would have been to check the TTF server logs, but the sysadmin has never been forthcoming with this information.)

I found an interesting discussion thread that describes an essentially identical problem with different software.  It suggests there may be a problem with the way SMF is handling the X-Forwarded-For argument injected into the HTTP request header by the proxy.  This is particularly interesting in that there are other known problems with the way in which TTF's ancient version of SMF handles the X-Forwarded-For header, specifically a vulnerability that enables IP spoofing.

A year or two back a banned TTF member exploited this vulnerability repeatedly, creating a variety of personae who appeared to have connected from a variety of (spoofed) IP addresses.  In their efforts to vaporize this miscreant the staff banned a *lot* of IP addresses and address blocks.  If these exclusions were never lifted it's entirely possible that SMF is rejecting requests from IP addresses associated with proxy servers as a result of this little escapade.

Question for the TTF staff members with SMF admin privileges:  can you view a comprehensive list of IP addresses that have been banned over time?  If so, it might be a worthwhile exercise for everyone who is experiencing this problem to visit the proxy test page Captainslow mentioned above (a very handy resource, BTW) and report the IP addresses of their proxies so the staff can compare them with the SMF ban list.

Eastcheap

"It's the only song I know."

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Oct 01, 2012, 01:39AM »

I will share what I have found.... I think we are in agreement but just approaching it from a different angle. The "Transparent" proxy server that my phone at ATT does exist.

In that case, what happens if you simply don't use the proxy?  Most browsers should be at least that configurable (heck, I had a POS gophone-branded Samsung that let me bypass the proxy).  AFAIK, the only benefit is access to some cruddy AT&T services that aren't terribly useful in the first place.
Captainslow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: Oct 01, 2012, 03:19AM »

PS.....

Post the sever maintenance www.tromboneforum.org appears to be on a different box. The post I mentioned may still be applicable but the errors are much different.

My friends iPhone on ATT:

"error 502 Bad Gateway. Response error, a bad response was received from another proxy server or the destination origin server."

My Droid:

loads an apache page

----HORNS----
1979 Conn Victor 5h

bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Oct 01, 2012, 06:05AM »

In that case, what happens if you simply don't use the proxy?  Most browsers should be at least that configurable (heck, I had a POS gophone-branded Samsung that let me bypass the proxy).  AFAIK, the only benefit is access to some cruddy AT&T services that aren't terribly useful in the first place.

It's a transparent proxy, meaning there is some policy NAT in place to redirect HTTP traffic to it regardless of any settings on the phone itself.

Which also means that Captainslow's logic that because his packet capture appears to show a 403 coming from the TTF IP address means that it is a TTF configuration issue and not a proxy issue is wrong -- that same address translation would mean that the reply would appear to be coming from the TTF IP even though it was really coming through the proxy.

That's not to say I don't think his theory also holds water... Todd Jonz's thought that it may be because of a ban list is compelling. However, in the headers in the capture that captainslow posted, it shows it as coming from Apache/2.2.19 on FreeBSD, and a capture that I just did shows a page load on TTF coming from Apache/2.2.3 on CentOS. Now, it may be possible that the maintenence that was done this weekend changed the server OS and apache version, but it also may be possible that the 403 was coming from a different server than the TTF server and the source IP was just translated. I don't have the capability to do a packet capture through my AT&T phone connection, but it'd be interesting to do another one now and compare the headers with what you'd get through a clear Internet connection.

--
Barry
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Oct 01, 2012, 06:41AM »

The Admins (RHM, bhcordova, BFW, and myself) have access to the Ban List.  I don't really want to reveal the total of the banned IP addresses, but I can say the vast majority of them are from the Far East, where most of our spammers originate.

If someone wants me to test a particular IP address, I would be happy to do so.  Send either a PM or an e-mail (bguttman@tromboneforum.org).  I can't promise instantaneous response, but I'll be happy to help.

If it turns out your IP address has been blocked, I may be able to tell you why and if justified I can remove the block.

Bruce Guttman
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Oct 01, 2012, 07:55AM »

OK, So my phone on AT&T wireless is now displaying a "apache 2 on centos test page" which seems like a default page that would come with the fresh installation of apache on centos, which is what we already determined the forum was running on post-upgrade. This seems to me to point to a proxy compatibility issue with the proxy that AT&T is using. The ttf server is being confused somehow by the HTTP/1.1 headers that are being passed by the proxy and is selecting the default web server rather than the virtual server that the forum is hosted on using the same IP. This is probably what was happening before, but the default server was configured to just give a 403 rather than the default test page that is now installed. This would point to an incompatibility between the way the proxy is configured and the way the ttf server is configured.

--
Barry
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Oct 01, 2012, 07:57AM »

If it is the ban list, it's possible that the server is configured to send the banned IPs to a different virtual web server than the regular ones. Bruce -- can you check 198.228.200.32?

--
Barry
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Oct 01, 2012, 02:45PM »

We don't have any  banned IP's starting on 198.

Bruce Guttman
Captainslow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: Oct 01, 2012, 03:14PM »

OK, So my phone on AT&T wireless is now displaying a "apache 2 on centos test page" which seems like a default page that would come with the fresh installation of apache on centos, which is what we already determined the forum was running on post-upgrade. This seems to me to point to a proxy compatibility issue with the proxy that AT&T is using. The ttf server is being confused somehow by the HTTP/1.1 headers that are being passed by the proxy and is selecting the default web server rather than the virtual server that the forum is hosted on using the same IP. This is probably what was happening before, but the default server was configured to just give a 403 rather than the default test page that is now installed. This would point to an incompatibility between the way the proxy is configured and the way the ttf server is configured.

I agree with this and think this is what is happening.... I ran the wire shark again, will post and this appears to be exactly what's going on. I am switching to Verizon now lol. I doubt there is much of a KB on making your site work with ATT phones. I can research it but what a PIA....

----HORNS----
1979 Conn Victor 5h

Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Oct 01, 2012, 07:23PM »

It's a transparent proxy, meaning there is some policy NAT in place to redirect HTTP traffic to it regardless of any settings on the phone itself.

It's true that AT&T connects you to the network via a NAT router, but there's no proxy involved, so far as I can tell (and I'm using AT&T wireless right now).  If fact, I've no particular reason to believe that anything more sinister than IP masquerading is going on.

If the Legado proxy test is saying otherwise, then something else is afoot.  Most AT&T phones have browsers configured to use a proxy by default.  I don't know if that applies to Android and iPhone, however (I know it doesn't to Palm).

That's not to say I don't think his theory also holds water... Todd Jonz's thought that it may be because of a ban list is compelling.

This has been discussed at some length.  If there's a ban, it's almost certainly not a TTF ban, but something implemented at a lower level.

However, in the headers in the capture that captainslow posted, it shows it as coming from Apache/2.2.19 on FreeBSD, and a capture that I just did shows a page load on TTF coming from Apache/2.2.3 on CentOS.

Which tends to suggest something going on at a lower level.  In fact, that could be a DNS hiccough (it seemed to take ages for the AT&T nameservers to get the new address).  The Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) server is definitely TTF's.
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Oct 02, 2012, 06:04AM »

It's true that AT&T connects you to the network via a NAT router, but there's no proxy involved, so far as I can tell (and I'm using AT&T wireless right now).  If fact, I've no particular reason to believe that anything more sinister than IP masquerading is going on.

If the Legado proxy test is saying otherwise, then something else is afoot.  Most AT&T phones have browsers configured to use a proxy by default.  I don't know if that applies to Android and iPhone, however (I know it doesn't to Palm).

This has been discussed at some length.  If there's a ban, it's almost certainly not a TTF ban, but something implemented at a lower level.

Which tends to suggest something going on at a lower level.  In fact, that could be a DNS hiccough (it seemed to take ages for the AT&T nameservers to get the new address).  The Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) server is definitely TTF's.

Like I said. It's a transparent proxy, which they force upon you using a policy NAT rather than with OS or browser settings. Maybe they only do it for iphone and/or android users, but it's there.

And something about the way the proxy works causes it not to be compatible with something about the way the TTF server is set up to do virtual hosts.

--
Barry
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Oct 02, 2012, 06:08AM »

FWIW, we don't have any banned IPs beginning with 210.

Bruce Guttman
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Oct 02, 2012, 06:17AM »

FWIW, we don't have any banned IPs beginning with 210.

Not worth anything :) -- that's the IP address of the lagado test applet that eastcheap mentioned. But thanks anyways. :)

--
Barry
Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Oct 02, 2012, 09:33AM »

Like I said. It's a transparent proxy, which they force upon you using a policy NAT rather than with OS or browser settings. Maybe they only do it for iphone and/or android users, but it's there.

Okay, I think we're actually making some progress here.

The 198.228 addresses don't belong to AT&T.  That network is owned by Service Provider Corporation.  Time and time again, they've been implicated in the connection problems.

There's not a lot of information about them on the net, but what I've seen isn't very positive.  This blog post might be relevant.

I'm typically assigned AT&T-owned 32/8 addresses and there's not a whiff of proxy.

However...

When I inject a bogus "Via" entry in my request headers, surprise surprise, I get directed to the aforementioned Apache test page.  Apparently, the problem is the "Via" entry per se, not the associated proxy, which is kind of obnoxious, but functional.

I think we need finally to put the whole "banned IP" notion to rest and accept that the problem is simply dysfunctional server-side software.  I doubt that there's anything the TTF admins can do about it except complain.

And something about the way the proxy works causes it not to be compatible with something about the way the TTF server is set up to do virtual hosts.

So far as I can tell, the VH system used by TTF's host is some kind of in-house thing that doesn't work very well.  I've had minor problems with it off and on for years, regardless of ISP.

For an illustration, try connecting to TTF using the raw IP address (currently 54.243.192.52) so as to produce a meaningless "Host:" header entry.  What comes back (as raw ASCII, not HTML) is:

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

which simply isn't appropriate behavior.
Captainslow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: Oct 02, 2012, 11:48AM »

The banned IP was a theory pre update because the error was coming from the old server with a 403 error. It wasn't completely wacky to think that. Now with the new server. The possibility of a compatibility issues is in question. I guess the next step is to figure out the configuration and see if other .php sites suffer from this ailment and what actions did they take to overcome it. I will ask a forum admin at another site if he ever ran into this issue. (This forum I am referring to has a user base of over 80k). Its possible that he ran into this as well at some point.

----HORNS----
1979 Conn Victor 5h

Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Oct 02, 2012, 01:07PM »

I guess the next step is to figure out the configuration and see if other .php sites suffer from this ailment and what actions did they take to overcome it.

I've never seen it.  In fact, in over twenty years, I've not seen anything quite like the TTF server.

I really don't think it's an SMF problem.  On the off chance that it is, how about we wait awhile?  AFAIK, Richard Byrd is working on the SMF upgrade even as we speak (after a bout of seriously unpleasant gut problems), and the present version of SMF is really too old to be worth discussing anyway.
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Oct 02, 2012, 03:45PM »

I'd wager it's something in the Apache configuration rather than the forum or php configuration. I wonder if perhaps the proxy is mangling the Via: header somehow in a way that is close enough for most applications but stumbles up some way the virtual hosts are defined in apache. It'd be very interesting to do a capture from the ttf server, or at least look at its apache logs.

--
Barry
Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Oct 03, 2012, 03:48AM »

I wonder if perhaps the proxy is mangling the Via: header somehow...

No.  The "Via:" line shown in the lagado screenshot above conforms to RFC2616.  The proxy is doing precisely what it's supposed to do.

but stumbles up some way the virtual hosts are defined in apache.

The "Via:" entry has nothing to do with virtual hosting, and Apache knows it.  Besides, I've never managed to make the server return anything except the plaintext MySQL-related error upon a request for a nonexistent host.

What appears to be happening is that, for some reason, the server admins have decided to block all requests from RFC2616-compliant gateways and proxies, not just smartphones.

Any "Via:" entry in the request header currently results in the following:

HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:11:04 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 5043
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
        <head>
                <title>Apache HTTP Server Test Page powered by CentOS</title>

Note that the Status-Code is still 403.  What's new is the server dishing up the Apache test page (which is a typical sort of thing for an incompletely configured server to do).
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Oct 03, 2012, 05:55AM »

That's BIZARRE for it to be returning 403 AND the content!

--
Barry
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: Oct 03, 2012, 09:49AM »

Eastcheap writes:

> So far as I can tell, the VH system used by TTF's
> host is some kind of in-house thing that doesn't
> work very well.

TTF's new IP address, 54.243.192.52, is allocated to Amazon, which suggests to me that the Forum now runs in Amazon's AWS/EC2/S3 cloud.  If that's the case then I should think Amazon's front-end would handle incoming requests and distribute them to an application processor.

Barry writes:

> That's BIZARRE for it to be returning 403 AND the content!

No extra charge.  ;-)

Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Oct 03, 2012, 12:07PM »

That's BIZARRE for it to be returning 403 AND the content!

Not really.  RFC2616 suggests that you do just that:
10.4.4 403 Forbidden

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.
   Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated.
   If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make
   public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the
   reason for the refusal in the entity.  If the server does not wish to
   make this information available to the client, the status code 404
   (Not Found) can be used instead.

Obviously, you should provide content that describes the reason for the refusal, not the I-just-installed-Apache test page.  :)

TTF's new IP address, 54.243.192.52, is allocated to Amazon, which suggests to me that the Forum now runs in Amazon's AWS/EC2/S3 cloud.

I think they may just be leasing space on an Amazon network.  The server itself doesn't appear to be, functionally, very different from before.

In any case, it's my understanding that the current arrangement is temporary.
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Oct 03, 2012, 03:10PM »

Eastcheap writes:

> it's my understanding that the current arrangement is temporary.

This is where I get confused.  I'm under the impression that the upgrade is complete, and that the Forum is now residing at its new home.  (Edit: Doug Elliot set me straight in another thread, explaining that TTF is indeed running on an interim server.)

Aside to Eastcheap:  Just FYI, the iOS autocowrecker wants desperately to change "Eastcheap" to "East heap."  I'd complain to Apple if I were you.  :-)

tbonejeff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Oct 03, 2012, 03:18PM »

I just now tried accessing TTF from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note, running Android 4.0.4. The built-in browser went to the Apache page. The Opera mini browser went to TTF. The Dolphin browser went to the Apache page.

Jeff Peterson
TromboneMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Oct 03, 2012, 03:35PM »

I run the Dolphin Browser on my Android.  Neither it nor the standard Android (Chrome) browser can access the site, but Opera Mini can.  FWIW.

-John
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Oct 03, 2012, 04:26PM »

Opera Mini works a little differently than other browsers in that it sends all requests through a proxy server operated by Opera that optimizes returned pages for display on a mobile device.  I'm guessing that it does this on a socket rather than via an HTTP request, which would explain why Opera Mini works on Android where other browsers fail.

Opera Mini might prove to be a workaround for folks experiencing problems.  Anybody running Opera Mini on iOS?

BlattDontSplatt

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Oct 03, 2012, 07:38PM »

My AT&T iPhone's IP address is 166.137.156.16 & TTF webpage now comes up as "Apache 2 Test Page" powered by Centos; prior to today, it just said that access is denied & forbidden. The only time I can connect correctly to TTF on my iPhone is when I'm connected 2 my WiFi

I'm Living Vicariously Through My Trombone!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Oct 03, 2012, 07:44PM »

Opera Mini might prove to be a workaround for folks experiencing problems.  Anybody running Opera Mini on iOS?

I ran Opera on my Motorola Q9 on Windoze CE through Verizon Wireless and it connected just fine.  Problem was that the forum was very difficult to navigate due to limitations of the phone.

Bruce Guttman
Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Oct 04, 2012, 05:02AM »

Just FYI, the iOS autocowrecker wants desperately to change "Eastcheap" to "East heap."  I'd complain to Apple if I were you.  :-)

I don't much care, but I can think of some City banks that would find it pretty annoying.

Opera Mini works a little differently than other browsers in that it sends all requests through a proxy server operated by Opera that optimizes returned pages for display on a mobile device.

That is interesting.  I'd like to see what the lagado proxy test displays for Opera.

I'm guessing that it does this on a socket rather than via an HTTP request,

Another port, certainly.  Actually, if the TTF server were configured to listen on some alternate port, I think the problem would go away WRT transparent proxies (this is commonly done for other protocols that ISPs like to fiddle with, like NNTP and SMTP).

Obviously, it would be better, and at least as easy, to stop needlessly discriminating against proxies in the first place.  TTF is the only public site I've ever seen do so.
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Oct 23, 2012, 10:24AM »

I just got the iPhone 4 for 99 cents from AT&T and set it up yesterday.

No problem with using here on the TTF. Works like a charm. I was leary about migrating from my Blackberry, but the migration went very smoothly.

Energy City Big Band
Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Oct 23, 2012, 01:03PM »

No problem with using here on the TTF.

It depends on where you are.  Apparently, some cells go through the proxy and some don't.

The simplest solution, should you run into the problem, is probably to access TTF through any of the hundreds of free "stealth" proxies around.
Bach42BOS

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:24PM »

woot! I can now access the forum again regularly through AT&T's network without using wireless!
pkeen

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Dec 20, 2012, 02:21PM »

I have this same problem of not being able to access the Forum from my Iphone. It used to work but now no longer.
Forbidden
<You don't have permission to access/index.php on this server
Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at tromboneforum.org Port 80>

Solutions people???

PKeen
Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:24AM »

Solutions people???

In the short term, go through a proxy that strips the "Via" line from your request headers (there's nothing you can do about it locally).  In the long term, we need somehow to get complaints through to whoever hosts TTF.  There's no good reason for this intolerable situation to exist.

You can try complaining to your provider (AT&T, I'm guessing), but, problem is, they aren't doing anything wrong.  They're playing by the rules.
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:13AM »

pkeen writes:

> Solutions people?

Try installing Opera Mini from the App Store (it's free) and use it to access the Forum.  Opera Mini is not affected by this problem on Android devices and should work on iOS devices as well.

Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:35AM »

The mobile Chrome also works very well, and is my default browser for basically everything.

bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:04PM »

The mobile Chrome also works very well, and is my default browser for basically everything.

I agree that iOS chrome is great, but it doesn't help the issue at all, unlike opera which does because it tunnels the traffic to be rendered in the cloud.

--
Barry
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Dec 26, 2012, 05:39PM »

Oh that's strange. Safari doesn't work for the forums, but chrome works fine.

nhtrombone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:12AM »

Switched from ATT to Verizon when we upgraded to the iphone 5 just after Christmas and it appears that I can access the forum while using cellular data now.

Jim Robins
New England Area Freelance Trombonist
Instruction and performance of all styles
https://www.facebook.com/jimrobins.trombone
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Jun 18, 2013, 11:34AM »

Another cheap work around if you're still not able to get here on your smart phones:
On your smart phone, mine is iphone4 with safari for browser,
Google a key phrase that will get you a post from the TTF, and bookmark it.
You can now use this bookmark as the front door to TTF.

Energy City Big Band
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Jun 18, 2013, 12:00PM »

I'm pretty sure that won't work for the people that are having the AT&T proxy issue.

--
Barry
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Jun 19, 2013, 11:51AM »

I'm pretty sure that won't work for the people that are having the AT&T proxy issue.

MyBad. I forgot that I was wifi connected when I revisited the issue with my iPhone. It worked for me when I was using a BlackBerry everywhere. At least I can remember when to put my mpc on the trombone. (still)

Energy City Big Band
gbedinger

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Jun 19, 2013, 12:50PM »

correct!
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:15PM »

Ok, I just got the iPhone 6+, and still use the att for my carrier, and I'm not using the wifi this time, and it is working. Maybe the iPhone 6 will work others that have been having problems.

Energy City Big Band
Eastcheap

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:09PM »

Ok, I just got the iPhone 6+, and still use the att for my carrier, and I'm not using the wifi this time, and it is working. Maybe the iPhone 6 will work others that have been having problems.

It looks as though TTF has finally stopped turning away folks with "Via" fields in the request headers.  Hopefully, that's the end of it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: