Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092751 Posts in 72323 Topics- by 19429 Members - Latest Member: 17williarw
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentTechnology(Moderator: john sandhagen) Smartphones/PDAs not connecting to TTF
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Smartphones/PDAs not connecting to TTF  (Read 65929 times)
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:39PM »

In a further update, I did a 'tracert' at work today to see where tromboneforum.org resolved to when at work.

It resolved to 216.139.89.3, which seems to be correct (the trace didn't finish, however, it timed out after about 4 hops). But I still get the 403 error (or the database error, depending on whether I enter the URL or IP address)

I don't know whether that helps.
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2010, 05:35AM »

Bump...

Has their been any findings on the causality of the BB's not working?

FWIW, I'm able to login into other forums, but not able to even view this one, still.

Thanks
Dusty

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2010, 05:41AM »

i can get on w/ no problem with my verizon's motoralla droid

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
Griffin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2010, 06:41AM »

Bump...

Has their been any findings on the causality of the BB's not working?

FWIW, I'm able to login into other forums, but not able to even view this one, still.

Thanks
Dusty

I dont see why you'd want to. Mine worked at one point and all it would show was text. You couldn't access your account and everything was really blown up. It was honestly more trouble than it was worth. IMHO.
If you have an Ipod/Iphone, I've found that the forum browsing experience on that was pretty acceptable. But definitely not on the BB.
The Bone Ranger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2010, 07:14AM »

I get a big "FORBIDDEN" when I try to access the forum on my iphone.

IP: 58.163.175.133. I'm in Adelaide, South Australia.

Andrew
Todd Jonz
Department of Redundancy Department

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2010, 11:38AM »

ddickerson writes:

> Has their been any findings on the causality of the BB's not working?

The owner of the "tromboneforum.org" domain is the only person with the capability to deal with problems like this, and it does not appear that he has attended to any maintenance or support issues for a very long time now.  He does not appear even to have logged in here since last December.  To the best of my knowledge he does not even communicate with the staff on a regular basis anymore.  In short, the site is on autopilot.

Have you registered at TromboneChat.com yet?
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 24, 2010, 11:52AM »

I haven't had any issue with connecting to my forum via a Palm Treo 700P over verizon's standard broadband network (Not 3G), for whatever it's worth.

If anything, it's been more stable than my PC being able to connect.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 24, 2010, 12:05PM »

I hope nothing is wrong

I think the site is running fine (I know that this could be see as a "suck up" - but it is my truthful opinion.)

I can sympathize - it must take a lot of work to run this site and some of you folks are lucky enough to be employed and have families you have to split  your valuable time.  I'm just lucky enough to have family and perhaps some trombone friends here on the forums

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 24, 2010, 01:03PM »

The Bone Ranger writes:

> I get a big "FORBIDDEN" when I try to access the forum on my iphone.

I would hazard to guess that this happens when your iPhone is connected to the outside world via your cellular carrier's network, but that everything works just fine when you're connected via WiFi.  Is this correct?  AOL users have reported similar problems.  When they try to access TTF using the browser in AOL's client software they see the "forbidden" message, too.  If they just use the AOL client to establish the network connection and then use another browser to reach TTF, everything works just fine.

What do these two scenarios have in common?  A proxy server.  AOL's native browser handles page requests through an AOL proxy.  Data traffic on a cell phone is also handled through a proxy server, which must encapsulate TCP/IP traffic from the Internet in the protocol used on the cellular carrier's network to get it to the customer's phone.

Since the AOL problems and the cellular problems all started to occur at the same time, they are clearly related.  The question is who is sending the "forbidden" response (HTTP error code 403), the TTF host or the proxy?  To put it another way, is the TTF host denying access to these third-party proxy servers, or are multiple proxy servers supported by multiple carriers all denying their customers access to the TTF host?  The first possibility seems far more likely than the second.

That, FWIW, is my arm's distance analysis of the problem.

John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 24, 2010, 01:06PM »

Todd- proxy or DNS?

Try using Google DNS in place of your router's DNS (Server 1: 8.8.8.8, server 2: 8.8.4.4) and see if you experience the same issues maybe?

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
Todd Jonz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Apr 24, 2010, 01:53PM »

John writes:

> proxy or DNS?

A DNS problem would result in an inability to complete a connection.  Nothing in this scenario suggests there is any problem establishing a connection.  The fact that there's an HTTP response code indicates that communication has, in fact, been established.  If the proxy couldn't reach the target host, it would not return an HTTP 403 error.  Once the HTTP request reaches the target host, DNS is not involved; a socket between the proxy and the web server is already open, so there's no need for the server to resolve a name to an IP address.

> Try using Google DNS...and see if you experience the same issues

I'm not experiencing the problem myself, but others who are might want to give this a try (assuming their phones permit them to select a DNS server, which some probably don't.)  Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect this to have any effect.

tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Apr 24, 2010, 04:27PM »

John writes:

> proxy or DNS?

A DNS problem would result in an inability to complete a connection.  Nothing in this scenario suggests there is any problem establishing a connection.  The fact that there's an HTTP response code indicates that communication has, in fact, been established.  If the proxy couldn't reach the target host, it would not return an HTTP 403 error.  Once the HTTP request reaches the target host, DNS is not involved; a socket between the proxy and the web server is already open, so there's no need for the server to resolve a name to an IP address.

> Try using Google DNS...and see if you experience the same issues

I'm not experiencing the problem myself, but others who are might want to give this a try (assuming their phones permit them to select a DNS server, which some probably don't.)  Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect this to have any effect.

I'm finding it frustrating, but am hopeful it will be resolved.  I get messages related to Forum issues sometimes and need to be able to check in during the day, but can't.  I've tried every browser configuration available on my BlackBerry Tour (Verizon is my carrier) and still no dice.  I can access the Open Horn, which looks like it uses the same forum software (perhaps a different version) but not TTF.  The site manager had mentioned at one point, I think in Announcements, that he hoped to have some sort of solution by January or so of this year. Obviously that didn't happen for some reason.

Perhaps he'll stop in here and give us an update at some point.  :)

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
play_louder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: Apr 27, 2010, 05:02AM »

Another option to try if you can't get your normal smartphone browser to work is to try Opera Mini.

Opera Mini works through an Opera server that connects to the web, before packaging up the page to send to your phone, so bypasses your normal route to the internet. It might just work. Or it might not.

(Make sure you get Opera Mini, not Opera Mobile. Opera Mobile is a regular browser, so will get the same issue.)

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 27, 2010, 05:30AM »

Well, I just traded in my BB pearl for a BB Curve, and I still get the same message. Forbidden, I think, and Todd is correct. His scenario makes the most sense, since we're theorizing second hand.

Thanks!

Energy City Big Band
D Gibson
« Reply #34 on: Apr 27, 2010, 06:32AM »

Well, I just traded in my BB pearl for a BB Curve, and I still get the same message. Forbidden, I think, and Todd is correct. His scenario makes the most sense, since we're theorizing second hand.

Thanks!

i have the new BB Bold.  i am connected via my wi-fi at home and still can't access the site.  i'm forbidden. 

dg
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 27, 2010, 06:40AM »

i have the new BB Bold.  i am connected via my wi-fi at home and still can't access the site.  i'm forbidden. 

dg

I use T-Mobile. If this could be an ISP issue, are there any T-Mobile users that can access this site?

Energy City Big Band
D Gibson
« Reply #36 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:08AM »

I use T-Mobile. If this could be an ISP issue, are there any T-Mobile users that can access this site?

for the record, i'm tmobile, too.  but, i'm accessing via my wi-fi signal.

dg
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:18AM »

Dave- could you take a digipic of your error message when you try to access the site on your blackberry through your WiFi?

D Gibson
« Reply #38 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:28AM »

Dave- could you take a digipic of your error message when you try to access the site on your blackberry through your WiFi?

there's no option to do so within the browser program.  the page says "403 Forbidden-you don't have permission to access/on this server"

dg
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 27, 2010, 07:34AM »

there's no option to do so within the browser program.  the page says "403 Forbidden-you don't have permission to access/on this server"

dg

And you obviously don't have any error accessing the website through the same connection through your computer...

I can't help but wonder if it might be a problem with the base RIM browser with the blackberry...

Have you tried downloading Opera Mini for your BB, to see if maybe it's some code on the website that says "I don't recognize this browser, therefore I don't like it"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: