Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

993066 Posts in 66170 Topics- by 16261 Members - Latest Member: JayP526
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: E.F. Durand trombones  (Read 7521 times)
A.H.

View Profile
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:58PM »

Anyone have any information on instruments made be E.F. Durand?  Have seen many different critiques of most of the brands, but there doesn't seem to be any information on Durand.  They are currently being sold wholesale by a USA Music Supply out of Missouri.  Label on the horn is embossed with E.F. Durand, has the model number, and what looks like the words "French Engineered".    Prices seem to good to be true, so naturally I'm suspicious.
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:51AM »

Chinese horn. A while back there was a plague of "Steuben by German Engineering" horns. I seem to recall some "Italian Engineering" going on, too.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
TBigdaddy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2009, 08:24AM »

Alto is 100% brother of Jin Bao family. Clone of K&H.
Tree1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:46PM »

Just ran across EF Durand 2 Bass Trombones when I was checking out Mack Brass. Both inexpensive and of course China. Just wondered if Mack Brass is worth almost twice as much?
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:24PM »

Just ran across EF Durand 2 Bass Trombones when I was checking out Mack Brass. Both inexpensive and of course China. Just wondered if Mack Brass is worth almost twice as much?

A Mack Brass trombone will have been play tested, dealer prepped, and will have a playability guarantee.  Most eBay horns will not have this done to them.

What's a guaranteed playable horn worth to you?

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Tree1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:48AM »

Well, I've been pondering 2 EF Durand Bass Ts from usamusicsupply.com . Read all I could, especially testimonials, reviews, warranty, etc. and besides the normal people hating imports and losing American jobs the trombones are a steal and has free shipping from Missouri I think. I'm not into a tri color instrument but hey, I'll get use to it. I have large shank Mega Tone and a Denis Wick heavy top mouthpiece on the way.
Biddlebone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2015, 05:21AM »

Looks identical to the one sold by Mack Brass for about $220 more.  You might be lucky, but I wouldn't trust people whose website talks about "tune slide" and "rose copper" as trombone components to check that an instrument has been made properly before sending it to a customer.  The idea that trombone players have any use for a free pair of white gloves continues to amuse me. (If people were objecting simply to imports, no-one in an English-speaking country would ever recommend a Yamaha trombone.  And which music shop is going to put letters of complaint on a testimonials page?)
Tree1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2015, 07:27AM »

I'll let you have the last word but allow me this comment. It's more like $350 more instead of $220 plus Mack charges to ship, to me in Texas between $40-50 more, EF is free shipping. I hear you about imports and know where you're coming from about Yamaha, don't they make keyboards and bikes too? Pink or rose brass or gold are used by many venues and what a white glove symbolizes (who hasn't thought about a white glove inspection or cleanliness) or a model standing by a car, etc. Sales, sales, sales, just have to look past trivial things and sales gimmicks. EF sells a lot to churches and schools. If churches and schools bought the best, or let's entertain the most expensive, which has a false "best" meaning at most, the black market would be fuller of stolen instruments from churches and schools. What car lot or commercial of any kind is going to list their shortcomings? We all have them. I know I do. However, I have searched for EF complaints and so far haven't found any. And if I did I'm sure USA Music Supply would fix the problem or give a refund. OK, I complained about a trombone I just bought that was a tenor but advertised as a bass. And do you know what? They are refunding my money as I'm taking it to a Postal Mart to mail it back today. And no I didn't buy it from eBay. As musicians we all play the best we can, and buy the best we can afford at the time, I'm buying the New Bb/F/Eb & Bb/F/D/Gb Tune Slide Trombone TB-1030B today. We don't play and sound the same to ourselves or others, but "we do the best we can" (quote from Al Brooks in the movie "Defending Your Life").
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2015, 08:00AM »

There have been a lot of talk about them in the past:

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=52077.0
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=60068.0
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=60068.20
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=61637.0
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=59767.0

Some like them, others don't.  I generally think the ones that like them get lucky.  I would say that the extra worth that Mack brass provides is worth even more than $600 over something like a Durand personally. It depends on how long you plan on playing the instrument.  Even if it takes you 6 extra months to save the extra money, I think in the long run you wind up with something that is going to be both a better fit and will last you longer.  There are reports of the Mack Brass horns lasting at least for several years. It's cheaper to spend an extra $400 now and not buy another $600 horn later. Of course, you might get lucky.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Tree1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:25PM »

OK, OK, Mack Brass it is. I'm ordering it now. Appreciate all the help and advice. Never would have found it otherwise. Wonderful forum.
tbathras

"I am not a professional, nor do I play one on TV"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:41PM »

I've had my eye on one of those as a backup bass... let us know how you like it when you get it.

Really, I'd love to get a top-of-the-line horn and use my 1062 as my backup, but the reality is that my playing can't quite justify that level of expense, nor is there anything wrong my current horn.

$800 for a decent quality horn that I don't mind playing outside or in parades... now that I can justify.

OK, OK, Mack Brass it is. I'm ordering it now. Appreciate all the help and advice. Never would have found it otherwise. Wonderful forum.

Bass Trombone
Casco Bay Wind Symphony
Maine POPS Concert Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:43PM »

Much better than having you complain about how lousy the Durand trombone is Good!

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Tree1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2015, 04:09PM »

You're right!
gbedinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:03PM »

You're right!

Glad you've reconsidered,  It's too expensive to buy cheap trombones.
Tree1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2015, 06:14PM »

FedEx will bring it next week.
armjstp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2015, 07:09PM »

I know it is a bit too late, but in case someone need to read some review

http://evilrobotengineering.blogspot.com/2012/01/ef-durand-tb-1031b-jinbao-jbsl-831.html

The Marching Virginians
Yamaha YBL-830 XENO
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:35AM »

As several mentioned sure, you can luck out with some of the Chinese horns. Or not.  While the alternative is a fair amount more in a relative sense, in a general sense it is not a great deal more and that extra expenditure is always going to be worth it in my opinion.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
ChadA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2015, 04:46AM »

I have a student who owns a Durand horn.  The plating on the slide is coming off, and it's only a few years old.  The valve action is terrible; it probably could have been deburred/lapped a lot more.  And it doesn't play very well.  He upgraded to a Blessing B88 and it was a huge improvement.

There might be good ones out there, but there are some dogs, too.

Chad Arnow, DMA
Bass Trombone, Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra
Artist in Residence in Brass, University of Dayton
http://chadarnow.com/
http://go.udayton.edu/music
armjstp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:30AM »

Wow! If the B88 is a big upgrade for Duran horn, it means...

The Marching Virginians
Yamaha YBL-830 XENO
ChadA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2015, 08:43AM »

Wow! If the B88 is a big upgrade for Duran horn, it means...

Yep.  My thoughts exactly.  :)

Chad Arnow, DMA
Bass Trombone, Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra
Artist in Residence in Brass, University of Dayton
http://chadarnow.com/
http://go.udayton.edu/music
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: