Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092575 Posts in 72179 Topics- by 19440 Members - Latest Member: drater421
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: King "Duo Gravis"  (Read 1768 times)
soul_bone

View Profile
« on: Mar 02, 2004, 08:54PM »

Hi All,
         So I was visiting with a friend of mine and the Trombone sneaked its way into the conversation ( funny how it does that) and he mentioned that his dad used to play and that he still had his pop's horn, but he didn't really know anything about it, so I asked to have a look at it, and I was pretty surprised. I expected some olds ambassador that was beaten to Heck or something along those lines, but It was a King bass trombone in close to mint condition!
 It has two rotors (duh) and it blows really nice. sounds to me like its a pro horn. The bell reads " KING, Duo Gravis"
Do any of you guys and gals know more about this horn than I do when it was made, pro or intermediate quality etc?
Please Let me Know

Gordon

" (Some people say), "Well, it ain't jazz unless you've got a saxophone." That's bull****."
-- Steve Turre
bassclef

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2004, 09:59PM »

the duo gravis is a fantastic horn. also known as the 6b, it is a pro level horn that was produced with several different bell materials over the years, including a silversonic model, up until the mid-early 90's. in fact there's a ss model on ebay right now, a thing of beauty. check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3707265526&category=16216

anyway, this is a naturally bright sounding horn, as i believe it was designed mainly for use in big bands and pit orchestras. i played on one in high school and you can easily cut through any ensemble with it, which could be bad depending on the ensemble. the school bought it new in 95 or so and i haved honestly missed it since i graduated.

so, if you do lots of comercial stuff this could be the horn for you. in a symphonic setting, maybe not. it has got the double-thumb trigger setup but you get used to it or you can have it modified. gotta love that light-weight silver slide with the finger ring too. what bell does it have (red gold or yellow) and what year do you think it is? check the serial no. here:
http://www.unitedmusical.com/King/serialno.htm

oh yeah, and i've been looking for a nice one of these so if he ever wants to sell it and you don't want it, tell him to look no further--->  athornberry@hotmail.com

thinkin' about sellin' my ride for that ss one on ebay...

Aaron Thornberry
Bass & Tenor Trombonist
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Patrick Bates

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2004, 03:18AM »

He pretty much nailed it. I bought mine a few years ago to use in a big band I play in and haven't looked back. Probably not a first choice for someone who does a lot of orchestral work though,  bright sound.

Last Bone
RL Smith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2004, 10:24AM »

I have one and like it, especially for commercial work.  It probably is not the first choice for symphony work, but for occassional subbing or doubling, it will do the job of being seen and not heard just fine.  

Richard Smith
soul_bone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2004, 10:50PM »

Wow guys,
You know your stuff!! Clever  Good news and bad news is he doesn't want to sell it, but he does want to learn to play it. anyway thanks a bunch for the info! Good!

Gordon

" (Some people say), "Well, it ain't jazz unless you've got a saxophone." That's bull****."
-- Steve Turre
CJW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2004, 11:55AM »

I Love mine. I want another. A megatone mouthpiece tones down the blast and makes mine somewhat housebroken, but every once in a while, it still gets out of the yard.

Do you ever hear of a New Community Band, anymore? Does one ever hear of one being brought back after it's gone? Exactly. Keep them alive. Do all you can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: