Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

940795 Posts in 61888 Topics- by 14943 Members - Latest Member: moothusala
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Faxx Mouthpieces  (Read 3349 times)
bobg321

View Profile
« on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:08PM »

I've been reading on the forum about Faxx mouthpieces and how they were based on the Mt. Vernon model. What in general is the difference between the Mt. Vernon and the bach 'pieces of today? I have a Bach 11C that I'm not exactly happy with but it does the job for now so any information on how a Faxx would be different is appreciated.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:30PM »

This is a very difficult question to answer for two reasons:

1.  There is a great amount of variability in both Mt. Vernon and in Elkhart Bach mouthpieces.

2.  Nobody makes Mt. Vernon mouthpieces (and hasn't for some 60+ years), so every Mt. Vernon is old.  We don't know if aging makes a difference, or if the intervening time has caused the bad ones to become extinct.

I personally postulate that Mt. Vernon (and New York) mouthpieces were craft-made and the person making the mouthpiece would test and tweak until it worked.  Modern mouthpieces are made using techniques where you try to make the process as uniform as possible and don't bother trying to fix the product.

We are trying to see if there is a metallurgical reason for the difference by examining some New York and Mt. Vernon mouthpieces.  What we have learned so far is that approximately the same alloy is used in Mt. Vernon and Elkhart, but a different alloy is used in New York.

If you don't like the shape of a modern Bach you may not like the shape of an older one.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
bobg321

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:40PM »

So then what is the difference between the modern Bach and the modern Faxx mouthpiece then?
bonedude

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:44PM »

The difference between my mt. vernon 7c and my faxx 7c is very noticeable. The mt vernon just has this amazing singing quality to it. As soon as I got my mt. vernon I immediately got compliments on my sound and intonation. The more air you give it the better which actually helps alot on the high range. The faxx is a little easier on the high range but not by much. It's less a less complex sound.

I have no clue about what the specifics are that make a mt vernon so great but mine is definately a keeper. The rim sizes are comparable between the two. Perhaps the faxx is a little narrower.

I've been through the whole process of getting replicas of the vernon 7c's. They just simply cannot be duplicated. Even my shires vintage 7c at $150 a pop, you would think they have put together something closer than the faxx 7c but it's very off the mark.

Faxx's are great great mouthpieces. It is my 2nd best mouthpiece to my mt. vernon. Try alot and see what works for you. Always go the used route tho because it gets way too expensive buying new mouthpieces to try out.
bonedude

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:48PM »

So then what is the difference between the modern Bach and the modern Faxx mouthpiece then?

Faxx's are very comfortable for me on the face. 

Sound wise...ehh my modern 7c has a little better sound but the faxx 7c you can play much louder with and the high range is better.

They don't make a faxx 11c...
bobg321

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:59PM »

ok thanks for that information bonedude obviously I havent done much research on the Faxx mouthpieces yet I had just seen a little bit on here and figured I would ask.
Eastcheap

""It's the only song I know.""

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2012, 07:30PM »

The difference between my mt. vernon 7c and my faxx 7c is very noticeable. The mt vernon just has this amazing singing quality to it.

I have no clue about what the specifics are that make a mt vernon so great but mine is definately a keeper.

I going to play the heretic here and say that I believe it mostly boils down to consistency.  Regardless of where they were turned out, Bach mouthpieces have historically ranged from the unplayable to the sublime.  Faxx mouthpieces are all pretty much the same (and, apart from materials, probably near-identical to the, possibly mediocre, Mt. Vernons they copied in the first place).  Moreover, old Bach mouthpieces have been around long enough for many of the real dogs to be winnowed out.

IOW, I suspect your Mt. Vernon was made on a day when the cutters were worn down just the right amount.  :)
prototypedenNIS
Shameless

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:10PM »

The Bach sizes underwent some more linear standardization after Selmer bought them in regards to the sizes and shapes.
Frankly, a modern Bach mouthpiece isn't necessarily the same design as a MT. Vernon.

denNIS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: