Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

923143 Posts in 60411 Topics- by 14489 Members - Latest Member: tanjiewei
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sterilizing Mouth Piece  (Read 6733 times)
BariTrom
worst speller

"why?"

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:00PM »

So the school mouth pieces are all really disgusting, I bet its been years since anyone has really cleaned or sterilized them(well I've cleaned a few)--no one else really knows how to clean a brass instrument. So I was thinking I'd gather all the school mouth pieces and clean and sterilize them. I know how to clean them but I'm not sure what the best way to sterilize them is. Can I boil all them in a pot of water? Should I soak them in alcohol? Thanks.

Gemma: band geek (w/o the band) cartoonist
*NM AllStateBand: 2007;2008,1st chair
in the mean time...in between time...
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:04PM »

Lots of ways, depending on what's available.

1.  You can get a big bucket of mouthwash and just dump them in for a day or two soak.

2.  You can drop them all (except for any plastic ones) in a big pot of boiling water and boil them for a half hour.

3.  If you have access to an autoclave, you can put it through a sterilization cycle.  Ask in the Biology department.

4.  You could load your dishwasher with the mouthpieces (maybe put them on the spikes used for dishes) and run a full Sani cycle.  Again, no plastic mouthpieces.

Good luck.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
jnoxon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:18PM »

How about some of the commercial product like Roch - Thomas? Sani Mist I think is there's but there are others out there too.

Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer, and don't like it!
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:35PM »

depending on the liquor laws in your state, you may not be of legal age to possess alcoholic beverages even to use alcoholic beverages as a sterilizing agent

what,    a different type of alcohol is used to sterilize stuff - a poisonous type????

oh  Embarrassed!

"never mind" - Emily Littela

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
tmsbandman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:17PM »

--no one else really knows how to clean a brass instrument.

I have a page that I give my Middle School brass players that has good detail about how to clean brass instruments.  It's an article from the Atlanta Brass Society Journal written (in the early 90s) by Rich Ita, a great brass tech in our area.  See http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marietta-GA/Rich-Itas-Brass-Instrument-Workshop/107316542635857 for more about his work. 

PM me if you'd like a copy.

Then again-maybe they only PRETEND not to know. Like guys screwing up the laundry. Evil
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33PM »

I am very surprised that the school does not realise the dangers of not having a proper cleaning/sterilisation process in place. Eeek! Maybe you should talk to the school nurse and see if you can get her on side. Even if not the instruments, there should certainly be a sterilisation process in place for the mouthpieces.

When I was just a kid, way back in the days just after WWII, I remember them sterilising mouthpieces for the school recorders, which were the only instruments we had in those days. I remember it being done by the monitors under the supervision of a senior teacher. Or course, in those days there was an extreme danger of Tuberculosis. But some of today's mouthpiece transferable diseases are not so nice either. :-0 I think it is something the musical instrument industry should turn its attention to - cleaning kits for schools. I am horrified by the stories I hear on this forum from school attendees.

Personally, I clean my mouthpiece and trombone after every playing session, which is basically every day. Procedure for the mouthpiece is detergent and a proper cleaning brush, run boiling water through it, and then fill it up with Listerine. I also clean the inside of the plastic mouthpiece pouch with Listerine before packing the mouthpiece in my trombone case. It might be overkill but what is the point of getting flu injections if you don't also watch basic hygiene.

Grah

"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."

Eastcheap

"Just this guy, you know?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:38PM »

2.  You can drop them all (except for any plastic ones) in a big pot of boiling water and boil them for a half hour.

A stainless stock pot or roasting pan, with a rack, works great.  If you have a basket, that's even better.  Probably best to avoid aluminum.

To save yourself trouble in future, as soon as they cool, get them bagged up with anti-tarnish squares (well, unless you're in some kind of really posh district that shells out for gold).  Bach sterling, in particular, can get really bad over time...which you probably know already.

4.  You could load your dishwasher with the mouthpieces (maybe put them on the spikes used for dishes) and run a full Sani cycle.  Again, no plastic mouthpieces.

And no detergent.  (The stuff they sell for dishwashers is frequently abrasive as all get-out.)
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 04:09PM »

You guys are working way too hard...hot water, dish soap, a mouthpiece brush for the back bore.

The sanitizers work fine.  They are designed for a band director grabbing a kids flute and not having time to give it a thorough cleaning before putting it to his face.

Think about this...if soap wasn't enough...we'd all be dead from using the same plates/forks/glasses over and over.

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
BernDog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 06:57PM »

You guys are working way too hard...hot water, dish soap, a mouthpiece brush for the back bore.

The sanitizers work fine.  They are designed for a band director grabbing a kids flute and not having time to give it a thorough cleaning before putting it to his face.

Think about this...if soap wasn't enough...we'd all be dead from using the same plates/forks/glasses over and over.

Seconded.
buglerbrass
Name's Peter, niceta meetcha!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 09:07AM »

Third.

Boil them.  The autoclave is an awesome suggestion, but boiling'll help with the grime.  Boil it, scrubb it easily by that point with soap, then rinse it out.

If you wanna make them look nice, get some MAAS or simichrome, give them a quick go over and rinse them off afterwards.  Cheap old mouthpieces can look quite good when polished.

"Never practice, always perform."
-Adolf Herseth
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 09:12AM »

Does boiling cause damage to the brass?  I've always been told that when you clean your horn to not 'bathe' it in too hot of water because the lacquer peels off and can cause damage to the underlying brass because the hot water weakens the metal.  Would that mean that doing so to the mouthpiece would cause the same problems?  For me, having the lacquer come off my mouthpiece would be a disaster.  Plus I use a Doug Elliot piece with the raw brass shank, is submerging raw brass part with boiling water okay as well?

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
john sandhagen
curmudgeon... semitrained

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 09:24AM »

#1 boiling water does not damage brass or plated brass.  It does burn you fingers unnecessarily.

#2 boiling water is completely unnecessary. 

Why are we making this harder than it is? Yeah, RIGHT.

John Sandhagen,
the Boneyard

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
LizM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 04:19PM »

Does boiling cause damage to the brass?  I've always been told that when you clean your horn to not 'bathe' it in too hot of water because the lacquer peels off and can cause damage to the underlying brass because the hot water weakens the metal.  Would that mean that doing so to the mouthpiece would cause the same problems?  For me, having the lacquer come off my mouthpiece would be a disaster.  Plus I use a Doug Elliot piece with the raw brass shank, is submerging raw brass part with boiling water okay as well?

If you wash your trombone in hot/boiling water most lacquers come off, that is why you don't wash your horn in hot water.

With mouthpieces, just use soap and hot water.  Good!
BernDog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56PM »

...not 'bathe' it in too hot of water because the lacquer peels off...

Yes, but more for older horns.  Most normal hot tap water temps should be OK for most horns from this era.  If you can stick your hand in it, a newer horn should be fine in it.  Vintage?  Play it safe and keep it at slightly warmer than "luke".  The soap and brushes will do their job either way.

...because the hot water weakens the metal.

No Grin

...having the lacquer come off my mouthpiece would be a disaster.

Granted, I've never seen your mouthpiece, but there shouldn't be any lacquer on your mouthpiece unless you put it there.

...is submerging raw brass part with boiling water okay as well?

See above.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 09:36PM »

Ack, I meant plating not lacquer.

Also, misconception thoroughly rebuked, thanks guys!

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 11:05PM »

Like John Sandhagen said - hot water, soap, and a mouthpiece brush. Maybe some silver polish if you want 'em shiny (I wash 'em to get rid of the icky stuff, polish 'em, then wash 'em again to get the polish residue off). If you want to impress people with how thorough you are, dunk 'em in alcohol afterward. Hey, if you really want to sell it, store them in a tray filled with alcohol.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
BernDog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 06:46AM »

Hey, if you really want to sell it, store them in a tray filled with alcohol.

How about a big jar of blue stuff they keep combs in at the barber shop?  :D
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 09:06AM »

Many years ago (~10) I thought I'd use Clorox as a good sterilizer, the result of course was a nice sterile but black mp.  Took several minutes with silver polish to get it off....

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 07:50PM »

How about a big jar of blue stuff they keep combs in at the barber shop?  :D
Barbicide? Undoubtedly effective, but I think I'll pass...

From the Material Safety Data Sheet:
Emergency and First Aid Procedures
Inhalation: Remove to fresh air.
Ingestion: Drink 1‐2 glasses of water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Do not induce vomiting
without medical advice. Probable mucosal damage may contraindicate the use of gastric lavage. Ingestion
of large quantities (greater than 50 ml) can cause circulatory shock. Seek immediate medical attention.
Skin Contact: Wash liberally with soap and water. If on clothes, wash before reuse.
Eye Contact: Flush with water for 15‐20 minutes.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
prototypedenNIS
Shameless

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 11:55AM »

well, there'a always Sterisol
nothing like .99% of Diisobutylphenoxyethoxyethyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride monohydrate

denNIS
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: