Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092575 Posts in 72179 Topics- by 19440 Members - Latest Member: drater421
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tchaik 5  (Read 976 times)
Ellrod

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:37PM »

We performed Tchaik 5 tonight.

I wasn't familiar with the piece. I thought we were doing Shostakovich. And, our usual conductor couldn't do the gig so he got a sub.

First of all, I was totally knocked out by the piece.  It's a stunning work. I played bass trombone and the part is wonderful. There's some terrific low brass writing and some very challenging parts.

Our "guest" conductor was a fellow named Ken Hsieh. Very, very talented guy. Terrific conductor, likely the best I've ever played for.

The orchestra is a community orchestra, arguably the second best (of two) in town. But it really overachieved tonight. THe program was Leonore Overture, Brahms Double and the Tchaik. I'm sure it was the best I've ever heard the orch play. Nearly a full house and a pop-up standing O. What a great evening!
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:02AM »

Tchaik 5 is always one of those that goes over big.

He did some great trombone writing in 4, 5, and 6.  Tuba too.

Glad you had a good time.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
nopos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:01AM »

Glad you enjoyed it!
My orchestra will play the piece next season and as always when Tchaikovsky is on the program I'm thrilled. His symphonies are great and the ballets have some nice trombone writing too!

Alf
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 07:23AM »

Were you sightreading the symphony #5 on the gig?

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno bass (both played regularly) , '74 Bach 42B, Yamaha 322 bass
kbiggs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:02AM »

Very cool.  I love Tchaik's symphonies, and especially his trombone writing.  A lot of people have played the 4th and 5th symphonies, and of course the 6th.  (Now there's a big chunk o' music!)  The 2nd, "Little Russian," has some very nice work, too.  The 4th movement is similar to the 4th movement of the 4th symphony. 

Slightly off topic: I've noticed that the bass trombone solo in the 2nd movement sometimes defeats the player.  We see "solo" and fff, and we think, "I'm gonna nail that sucker to the wall!!!"  Of course, what results is a spread, crass sound.  It took me once or twice before I figured out that, especially in a loud solo passage, thinking "big," "project" and "relaxed" works much better. 

Kenneth Biggs
Bass & tenor trombone
Print
Jump to: