Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

950042 Posts in 62841 Topics- by 15177 Members - Latest Member: Hank K
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HELP--My Slide Lock Ring is Stuck!  (Read 3305 times)
Nolabone

View Profile
« on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:06PM »

Earlier today, I picked up my Yammy 891Z to practice for awhile.  Unlocked the slide. Warmed up for about 10 minutes. Phone rang, so I rotated the slide lock ring to "lock" position and sat the horn on its stand. Everything was fine.
Went back and warmed up a bit longer. Tried to rotate the slide lock ring to 'lock' again. This time it would not budge. 
I've tried lubricating the lock ring with a very light oil. I've tried that, plus heating the ring with a hair dryer. I've tried to gently get it to move with a wrench (wrapped a towel around the ring to keep form marring it).
It is stuck firmly in the 'unlocked' position and nothing has worked to loosen it.
Has anyone had an experience like this?
Any ideas as to what to do, short of sending the slide to Yamaha?
Thanks for any suggestions...

"This is The Tonight Show. I canít tell you too much about it, other than to say that this show is going to go on forever."  Steve Allen, 1953
LizM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:56PM »

Have you tried tapping it, like you might do to a jar with a stuck lid?

Or else just take it to a instrument repair person?  Don't know
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2010, 09:14PM »

Try warm water, just a bit cooler than would boil off the lacquer and turn it right away. The hair dryer is, IMHO, too uniform and heats everything.

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
Duffle

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2010, 03:51AM »

Penetrating oil - leave overnight and try to move again. Don't rush or panic. Maybe lightly tapping it. If you do unlock it I suggest you unscrew it completely and give the thread a good but careful clean as maybe a piece of grit has got in there and seized it up.....
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2010, 06:37AM »

When you manage to loosen it next time, rotate it one complete turn.  You are using the very end of the threads for your slide lock, and they aren't as deep as the regular threaded section.  When the ring goes on these shallow threads it locks on.

You managed to loosen it by using a pliers on a soft face; that should work again.

And always adjust the slide lock ring to back off one complete turn from tight.  You want to avoid this problem in the future.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Torobone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2010, 09:22AM »

Before responding, I checked the lock ring on my 891Z. My horn is coming up on 1 year old, and I think yours is newer. I would think it is not a corrosion related problem on a new horn.

I tried unscrewing the lock from the slide, and the threads are very fine. I did like 10 turns, and it did not come off. I also looked at where the lock is, I tried really tightening it in the "unlock" position, but I had no trouble with mine. Also, when locked, it does not come to the lock stop on the outer slide.

I don't know if this is helpful. I would go with the oil, then the wrapped pliers. At least it is unlocked, so you can practice.

Martin Hubel
Yamaha 891Z & 830 Xeno Bass, & '74 Bach 42 (played regularly)
Nolabone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2010, 09:32AM »

Problem Solved:
Late last night, I put some very light 'gun' oil on the top side of the ring, sat the horn on its rest so the oil would go down into the threads overnight.
This a.m., I took a very light, soft-headed hammer and gently tapped on the ring in the direction it should turn and BINGO, it rotated.
I did the '10 turn' thing and checked the threads--no signs of any corrosion or thread issues.  It's still a mystery to me why the thing locked up that way but it's all good now.

Thank so much to all of you who offered help and ideas.  What a great help that was!
All the best to all of you...

Good!Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Good! Good!

"This is The Tonight Show. I canít tell you too much about it, other than to say that this show is going to go on forever."  Steve Allen, 1953
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 29, 2010, 09:52AM »

Just make sure you don't tighten it too much, or it can get stuck,or you'll start wearing the threads.

Now, if you are going to keep it one turn loose as recommended, definitely put some grease on it to keep it from moving around.  On older trombones the slide lock can get pretty loose.

Bach 39 Alto - Faxx 7C
King 3B - Bach 6 3/4C
Yamaha YSL-640 - Hammond 11ML
Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD
Kanstul 1570CR - Laskey 59MD
Kanstul 1588CR - Hammond 11ML
Yamaha YBL-612RII - Faxx 1 1/2G, Laskey 85MD
prototypedenNIS
Shameless

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2010, 07:57PM »

Now, if you are going to keep it one turn loose as recommended, definitely put some grease on it to keep it from moving around.  On older trombones the slide lock can get pretty loose.

DEFINITELY  Put enough on that you have to wipe it off!  Good!  Clever  Hi  Bad dog.  No Biscuits.

Pardon the smileys, but this is an extremely important point that many people don't think to do!

denNIS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: