Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080907 Posts in 71551 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: light headed/blacking out?  (Read 3283 times)
trbnchase
Never look at the trombones, You'll only encourage them

"Racine Concert Band"

View Profile
« on: Jul 31, 2010, 12:36AM »

When i play, i occasionaly get light headed, and just barley start to black out.  and then my face gets all tingly.  does this happen to any one else? and any advice on making it not happen?

1922 Martin Dansant, 1930 Buescher True-Tone, 1933 H.N. White Silvertone Model 1455, 1947 Martin Committee, 1985 Vincent Bach Stradivarius LT16M, 2006 Vincent Bach Stradivarius 36BO, 19?? Modified King 5B/Edwards Bass Trombone, 2004 Yamaha YSL 354
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2010, 12:50AM »

Sounds like a problem with your breathing. Are you trying to go too long between breaths in order to get out a particular phrase?

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Eastcheap

"It's the only song I know."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2010, 08:55AM »

I think we all get a bit light-headed sometimes, but the whole "start to black out"/"tingly face" thing sounds kind of serious (like a circulatory problem), especially for an 18-year-old.
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2010, 09:11AM »

talk it over with your doctor as soon as possible.  bring your trombone so you can demostrate.  if you are beginning to truely black out, you need medical advice.  do it sooner than later.

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2010, 06:16PM »

I would recommend not hugging very cute blonds while playing!  Clever

There could also be a problem with back-pressure, sinuses, allergies, nutrition (do you eat breakfast, have food allergies), or an underlying medical issue that is aggravated by playing (breathing/holding breath).  I would keep a log, too, showing food, medications, time of day/duration playing, temperature, weather and anything else you see as relevant.

You should also consider transferring to Ohio State!

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
trbnchase

"Racine Concert Band"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2010, 09:14PM »

Not to give out my personal health information on the internet, but i have kinda severe asthma, and im allergic to 48 things, none food or medications.  it almost always happens when standing. and i faint fairly eaasily.    and about the cute blonde, shes my girlfriend, a very talented reed player, and even though i love her dearly, i never hug her WHILE playing haha.  and how is ohio state?  does it have a good music program?

1922 Martin Dansant, 1930 Buescher True-Tone, 1933 H.N. White Silvertone Model 1455, 1947 Martin Committee, 1985 Vincent Bach Stradivarius LT16M, 2006 Vincent Bach Stradivarius 36BO, 19?? Modified King 5B/Edwards Bass Trombone, 2004 Yamaha YSL 354
evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2010, 10:48PM »

Not to give out my personal health information on the internet, but i have kinda severe asthma, and im allergic to 48 things, none food or medications.  it almost always happens when standing. and i faint fairly eaasily.    and about the cute blonde, shes my girlfriend, a very talented reed player, and even though i love her dearly, i never hug her WHILE playing haha.  and how is ohio state?  does it have a good music program?
Yeah....I reckoned you weren't getting enough oxygen. Since you seem to know about your condition, do you already have an inhaler prescribed? Perhaps you can explain it to your doctor and see if there is one at an appropriate strength that can be used regularly before playing?

I realize this might not be in your control, but try to play when sitting and have a trombone stand handy to relieve some of the tension.

Asthma is a complicated condition that can have dire consequences. I actually get "exercise asthma" from jogging and I wonder whether playing trombone might bring on similar symptoms. One lady claims fish oil might help? http://www.healthcentral.com/asthma/treatment.html

ekdowlin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2010, 10:53PM »

This happened to me a few days ago. It was very strange. I was in the middle of my warm-up and suddenly my entire face went numb. It was so bad that I couldn't even make a note on the horn. I stopped and had to lie down for about five minutes until I regained feeling. Then I got back up and kept practicing. It never happened again.

It's music, not brain surgery... have fun.
DogBone35

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2010, 04:25AM »

When i play, i occasionally get light headed, and just barley start to black out.  and then my face gets all tingly.  does this happen to any one else? and any advice on making it not happen?

One possible cause of light-headedness is low blood pressure.  If your blood pressure is low, your light-headedness should be more likely to occur when suddenly standing after having been seated and relaxed for a time.   It's easy to get your blood pressure checked out and confirm or eliminate this as a cause.
trbnchase

"Racine Concert Band"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2010, 11:29PM »

yea so i will get my blood pressure checked.  i have 2 inhalers i take every day for allergiees/asthma, and then one rescue inhaler that acts quickly in emergencies.

BigBandBass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2010, 08:06AM »

Better to check with a good doctor first. but...

A friend of mine had a numb right side of his face... thinking stroke ... He went through all tests imaginable. Heart, Lungs, blood, etc. etc... After weeks of tests and more tests he went to get some additional results (Thalium test). He went to to the doctor, but his regular doctor was not there... An old out of retirement doctor was at the consult... he told him that a numb face can be caused by hyper ventilation. Had him blow in a bag for a couple of minutes and everything was good again.

So as trombonist we never hyper ventilate of course  Evil

Peter Lijnse

"Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine."
BassBoneFL

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2010, 11:39AM »

All sounds like BP issues to me. Clever Don't know I would heed the advice to get to a Dr pronto.

Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra

S.E. Shires Artist

"Having Yo-Yo Ma give a masterclass to brass players is like hiring Picasso to paint your garage." - Gene Pokorny
evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2010, 02:55PM »

yea so i will get my blood pressure checked.  i have 2 inhalers i take every day for allergiees/asthma, and then one rescue inhaler that acts quickly in emergencies.
Assuming you're already under the care of a physician (must be, with inhalers, etc.), he or she should have a record of your BP---it's standard with every office visit. The problem is, BP changes during the day with stress and other factors.

But, yeah.....go talk to your sawbones. 

sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2010, 02:57PM »

see your medical provider quickly

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
Orestes
Bone Vivant

"Bone Vivant"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2010, 07:07PM »

TBC-- from the the information that you have provided, you would seem to have hyperventilation. (light headed, tingling about the face etc. This could well be due to your asthma, and I would certainly speak with your doctor about it. What happens with hyperventilation is that you blow off your carbon dioxide, and your system becomes more acidic. (the CO2 provides bicarbonate which acts as a buffer. The condition can often be helped by breathing into something like a paper bag which recycles the CO2. You might give that a try. It is, however important to speak with your doctor, since he is familiar with your breathing situation. Keep us informed, and I hope things improve. There are a lot of high level brass and woodwind players that have asthma and play well in spite of it.

Galen McQuarrie

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.  Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."  Dizzy Gillespie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: