Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066404 Posts in 70879 Topics- by 18685 Members - Latest Member: MattG1116
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: buzzing issues  (Read 23753 times)
B0B

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:07PM »

Not "Do it better."

Not "Try to understand how it works."

Just "Don't do it."

Well sure. While the regular ensemble teacher struggles with "do[ing] it better" and "try[ing] to understand how it works", if they keep trying this in their ensemble they will lose the students and lose their job. Keep it moving and don't make your mistakes hinder the students any more then necessary.

Otherwise it's like if I try to hit a note above my range during a jazz solo. The audience ain't going to stay and listen if I just keep trying to hit that note over and over. What's more important, hitting that note or playing a good solo? Miss the note? Forget about it and play that solo.

You're all over the place.

End of conversation.

S.
Conversation? You come in, say I'm all over the place with nothing to back it up, and then say you're done. Sounds more like a tantrum.

Take care,
B0B
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:07PM »

Well sure. While the regular ensemble teacher struggles with "do[ing] it better" and "try[ing] to understand how it works", if they keep trying this in their ensemble they will lose the students and lose their job. Keep it moving and don't make your mistakes hinder the students any more then necessary.

Where is this "mistake", BOB?

In your own practice and/or teaching?

I don't see any  mistakes, myself.

Not in this situation.

I know what works and what doesn't, on long and consistent experience.

Otherwise it's like if I try to hit a note above my range during a jazz solo. The audience ain't going to stay and listen if I just keep trying to hit that note over and over. What's more important, hitting that note or playing a good solo? Miss the note? Forget about it and play that solo.

Take the chance.

Solo or teaching.

No risk, no gain.

That's my philosophy, anyway.

How have I not backed my posiition up?

In my own life and career. And on the net. Do a search. I'm nothing if not "backed up."

Over and over and over again.

You?

I dunno.

Show me.

My stuff works.

Show me.

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:05PM »

To refresh the original post:
So I feel lame asking this as I played trombone from 7th through college, but I am now teaching a combined low brass class and I am having some buzzing range issues.

The tbns and btns can all roughly match an F (this is day 3 of buzzing) but they cannont seem to get higher or lower.

The tubas are currently on a 2nd line Bb. For some reason they can all do what I call a "horse" buzz without the mouthpiece but stick the mouthpiece up and they are buzzing up with the tbns and btns.

I've demonstrated on both a tbn mpc and tuba mpc the buzzes I'm after.

We've done Sirens, Bottle Rockets (low to high), and Dive Bombers (high to low) in an effort to get some range going. However, it doesn't seem to be working.

I've talked about embouchure/aperture and air direction in relation to low and high buzzing. (Firmer for high, more relaxed for low... blow up for low, middle for middle, down for high, etc.)

I've currently hit a road block on what else to tell them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

This is a topic that was started about beginners.

I think what B0B is trying to say is, if an approach isnít going anywhere, move on before you lose the attention of the student(s).  Especially for someone who is not well versed in how or why to effectively teach buzzing.

I agree with that.  If something is not working, donít do it.  Come back to it later.

This entire discussion presents a lot of ideas about how to use buzzing as a means to improve playing.  I really donít think anything needs to be added to it, and Iím going to close the topic. 

A lot can be learned by simply reading it all again.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: