Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1065794 Posts in 70801 Topics- by 18674 Members - Latest Member: howew1200
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Repair tech as a career?  (Read 14732 times)
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2015, 04:06PM »

I think there is often a personality gap between makers and sellers. Finding both in one person is not common. As Russ says if it's what you love you will find out how to make it work. (I just got a call from a tech that my son's clarinet is ready,after 11 mo.s. His rep is he's the best in town but his business skills....) I think that's the burnout reef many craftsmen founder on.* It's good he's looking at this now.(Good job Mom) He can try it and if he crashes he'll still be young.
DRB
Seola Creek

*Your son's interest in tubas reminded me of a guy in town who has a good rep. His website is "Oberloh Music". I haven't used him but his site gives a flavor of the balance of craft and business.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 18, 2015, 04:47PM »

Oberloh is a superb craftsman, but his deliveries can be long.  DJ had a couple of horns there for a few years.  But if you want quality restoration work and can wait he's the real deal.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
octavposaune

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:24PM »

DJ has had horns there for ten years in May.

Dan's regular repairs are much faster than that.

Benn

JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Apr 18, 2015, 11:12PM »

I don't think the whole thing with DJ is representative of Dan Oberloh's normal turnaround time for restoration.

That said, the following note appears on his website:
Due to our on going backlog of major projects, please contact the shop regarding scheduling a restoration of your instrument. We always strive to exceed our customers expectations on restorations, unfortunately this has made out queue long. We are still taking in standard repairs, maintenance work and valve rebuilds and you can expect our normal quality expediency on these projects, including general woodwind repairs and mechanical overhauls. Thank you.

This is what happens when you have a really good reputation - you end up with lots and lots of work.

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:56PM »

I can't say much about instrument repair, but I can speak on car repair as a career choice.  My son went through 2 years of college for Automotive technology, and then you have student loans, and really expensive tools to buy, and a roll around chest to keep them in.  Then you get to a dealership and find out after your apprenticeship is over if you don't get a shop manager that splits the work out equitable you can wind up making less that minimum wage as the older timers get all the gravy jobs and you get the hard flat rate jobs that wind up in a lot of cases taking more time than the flat rate book says they will. Say you have an intermittent short in the electrical system, they book may say its a 2 hour repair but if it takes you 6 hours to find it you get paid 2.  If you can get in a fleet situation where you work on an hourly wage things are a little better, but those hourly rates aren't going to be that great starting out. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: