Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1072812 Posts in 71143 Topics- by 18855 Members - Latest Member: Disco
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTown HallComments and Suggestions(Moderators: rlb, blast, BFW) Advertising defence down
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Advertising defence down  (Read 2357 times)
Graham Martin
Purveyor of 'HOT' Jazz

"Dixieland/Mainstream/Big Band"

View Profile
« on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:19AM »

Looking at the "Show unread posts since last visit" and the previous topic in this section, it seems to me the forum's defences against advertising material may be down. Does anybody know how to reconstruct them?

Grah

"May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay......forever young."
johngsteel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:34AM »

Spam!  Spam!  Spam! Spam!
Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!

Kanstul 1662i
- Red brass bell, unsoldered, 24 gauge
- Bronze (rose/gold) outer slide, nickle crook
- Kanstull George Roberts mouthpiece
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2010, 01:47AM »

I have removed the posts. They were made by an accepted member. An admin. will have get rid of them.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2010, 02:50AM »

Gone.

Sorry about that. It was one of those hundreds of fake accounts we're currently receiving and must have sneaked through. I'm surprised there's only been one!

I wish we could block these fake accounts before they come in, but they come from an enormous range of IPs and I don't see how it could be done.

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:26AM »

Not only that, but the posts seem to be coming from a variety of locations; mostly in China but some from the Phillipines.

We do try to only approve real accounts, but if somebody comes in with something that looks like they could be legit (i.e. showing an interest in trombone), they can get in.  Please let us know if anybody tries to take advantage of us.  We will act and act quickly.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:54AM »

From previous discussions, I believe one way automatically to reduce the number of bogus accounts coming in for approval is to insist on certain parts of the profile being completed. Unfortunately, that wouldn't work for most of this current batch, because all these areas are filled in - albeit with gibberish!

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
johngsteel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:32AM »

as someone who has performed duties as a Senior System Admin for technical infrastructures,  I can only suggest that you actually view the account request information before approving and finalizing the requested account.

With all of the automation available, it takes a personal touch to ensure stuff does not happen.  No matter what, something will slip though the cracks sometime. 

Been there, done that.   :/

With no mentor in my life as a sys admin, I had to learn by making mistakes, planning, reading, and thinking.  The order was basically reversed the more I learned (and then nominal mistakes).   Clever

Kanstul 1662i
- Red brass bell, unsoldered, 24 gauge
- Bronze (rose/gold) outer slide, nickle crook
- Kanstull George Roberts mouthpiece
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2011, 11:33AM »

Once again...a simple, relatively non-time consuming solution.

1-Check out the new requests and subscriptions. Once or twice a day.

2-Enter salient info from them on the Stop Forum Spam search site. Email address and/or IP address and/or username. If they get even one hit...ban 'em completely and delete the subscription. For particularly suspicious applicants (like those with a common name prefaced and ended by random letters or numerals...like "qandrewmillerw" or "Bob Smith171"...that do not get a hit on the Stop Forum Spam site, run them on Google and see if they have joined numerous sites with little or no input. (Particularly sites that don't seem to make sense together when lined up like say "Blondepoker", "Anime/Manga" and "Advanced String Theory.")

Easy, quick work. I daily check out as many as 10 subscriptions on The Open Horn in about 5 minutes. When you start to do this on a daily basis, then just keep watch for the ones that get through. On the Open Horn? Maybe one every month. And...it's easy to get rid of them and their spam with the "delete this account" button as well. When you delete a subscription, there is a little button that says "Remove posts made by this member" followed by a dropdown menu. Choose "all posts" if they have pirated legit threads or "topics and posts"  if hey have started their own spam threads; hit delete and POOF!!! They and their nastiness are both gone.

Easy.

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: