Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1089072 Posts in 71995 Topics- by 19326 Members - Latest Member: analyssalovesmusic4
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakPolls(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) Most favorite mouthpiece
Poll
Question: What is your favorite mouthpiece?
Bach - 60 (20.7%)
Denis Wick - 23 (7.9%)
Yamaha - 17 (5.9%)
Schilke - 35 (12.1%)
Doug Elliott - 52 (17.9%)
Greg Black - 21 (7.2%)
Monette - 3 (1%)
Giddings and Webster - 20 (6.9%)
Velocity - 1 (0.3%)
King - 3 (1%)
Conn - 4 (1.4%)
Benge - 2 (0.7%)
Warburton - 9 (3.1%)
Holton - 1 (0.3%)
Griego - 12 (4.1%)
Karl Hammond - 18 (6.2%)
Laskey - 5 (1.7%)
Curry - 1 (0.3%)
Stork - 3 (1%)
Total Voters: 282

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Most favorite mouthpiece  (Read 25761 times)
Bob Kolada

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 23, 2011, 04:15AM »

My JK KBP2C is my favorite mouthpiece out of anything I have played on any instrument ever. The 2A also works nicely in small bass tubas for a clearer, brighter sound. Oddly enough the 2C is actually kind of a tweener for me on bass and contra; I prefer a bit bigger on contra. It's not quite a 100% of the time bass mouthpiece but is close enough for me.
I also really like my Yamaha 60B and Bach 18. The Yamaha is great for small bass, big tenor as a doubler, and euphonium. The 2C is a bit broad for me in, imo, already thick/tubby compensating euphoniums. The Bach is a great Eb mouthpiece and works well enough in every other tuba.
 The 60B is too small for any use in F contra for me, but a friend sounded great on it on his homemade F contra- very F bass like. That's a pretty slick horn in of itself. King bass slide, .562 valves with D on the finger and Bb on the thumb, and the bell off a G baritone. Heavy horn though!
Bassboneplayer95
Elijah J. Maffit

"To each his own..."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jun 11, 2013, 08:52PM »

Bach is over rated, and I haven't tried Doug Elliot yet, but I'm madly in love with my Yamaha Doug Yeo bass MP, original, not replica.

Bass: Holton 181 - GW Karif Heavyweight SS
Tenor: Mt. Vernon Bach Strad 42B Hybrid - Bach 4G
Alto: Bach Strad 39 - DW 5BS in gold
pBone: Red - red plastic stock MP
brucolli

"Trombone - musikFabrik, Cologne"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 12, 2013, 04:08AM »

Rath

Bruce Collings
Rath Trombone Artist
www.musikfabrik.eu
Mahlerbone

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jun 12, 2013, 04:26PM »

Most favorite mouthpiece?

I love lamp.

Shires alto w/ yellow bell
Shires T00NLW, 1YM8, 1.5 tuning slide
Shires TB47G, 7YLW, TY tuning slide, standard rotor
Shires B62LW, BI 2G, Bollinger tuning slide, dependent Trubores
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jun 12, 2013, 04:27PM »

I love my PrimeSlide Design mouthpiece on bass and I am doing fine on an old Bach 9 on my 2B, but lately is leaving that last bit of sparkle and character to be desired. Just whatever works is my favorite. I am hoping to make some money so I can get fitted to a right and proper mouthpiece, Doug Elliott, on my 2B.

So, if it were an option: PrimeSlide Design! Feels so great, looks super, and sounds just how I want to sound Good!

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
Stevetrom

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Nov 06, 2014, 12:59AM »

My mouthpiece isn' :cry:t listed

I play on a Josef Klier OŁ Exclusive

http://josefklier.de/mouthpieces/trombone/?lang=en
MrJazzinc

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Nov 09, 2014, 05:01AM »

Kelly 6 1/2AL not on list but gets my vote every time, never gets cold on those cold outdoor gigs. Before Kelly, always played Denis Wick 9BS.
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: Nov 09, 2014, 06:38AM »

"Most favorite mouthpiece?"

Of all time?

Bach wins by a landslide. Bach m'pces are the gold standard by which all others are judged. For me? I still love my NY and Mt. Vernon Bachs on smaller tenors. I also like Doug's stuff. I'm using one on my favorite horn, a Shires .525, and eventually I'm going to try to put together a couple of smaller ones as well. Every Minick m'pce that I have ever tried has been fine; I use a Benge Marcellus that looks, feels and plays much like a 4-ish/5-ish Bach on my .547 when I am using it in jazz situations, and a Ferguson Jeff Reynolds model on my bass.

Vincent Bach revolutionized brass m'pce design in the '30s and that in turn revolutionized how brass instruments sounded and were played. Pre-Bach? Much more V-cupped, much lighter blanks and a hootier, slightly weaker sound and attack profile. Post-Bach? More muscle. That's what I see and hear, anyway, and I have tried a lot of old m'pces on the horns for which they were designed and listened to a lot of old brass recordings.

Later...

S.
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2014, 06:24AM by sabutin » Logged

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Baker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: Nov 09, 2014, 07:41AM »

Josef Klier
but not listed  Don't know
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:48PM »

Since I last posted my PrimeSlide feels cramped and I am getting a DE to replace it. So I will have DE pieces for all of my horns. Best balance of any mouthpiece I have played. I just tried out a Minick bass piece and it was too small for me to work around a full bass bone range, but fantastic! something I could use for 3rd.

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
dbdicker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:22PM »

I liked this poll. Learned a lot.

You expect the majority to go Bach or Schilke (most guys grew up on them).  and Doug Elliot has a (well deserved) following here, including me.

I was surprised at how few answered Greg Black as I continue to hear from so many others how positively amazing they are - they've been the "hot" piece in the last few years, it seems to me -- but few answer GB as their favorite.

Also surprised at how many responded positively to the G&W's!   For a pretty obscure brand,  they got a lot of votes.

As for me, I've got the DE system, except with my R4 where I adore the sound I get from my Warburton 8ST.

So, despite using 4 Doug Elliot's and one Warburton, I voted for Warburton - I guess that's because I'm playing the symphonic horn more than half the time these days!

Anyway, thanks for this poll -- I liked it.

Yamaha 891Z
MV Bach 36
Rath R4F - Rotax
Yamaha YBL-822G
Yamaha YEP-642 - Euph
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:43PM »

I think you may be surprised how many G&W users there are out there.  They made some pretty serious strides in a relatively short period of time.  I know a lot of tubists using them mostly though.

I also know tons of people on Greg Black pieces, but I don't know a lot who find talking about trombone equipment on the internet to be a productive / interesting use of their time  Evil  I'm kind of kidding, but I know more people playing Greg Black pieces (college level and above) than anybody else, and that's not just in the region.  This poll may demonstrate the "likelihood of a person on x mouthpiece to access the trombone forum" better than the "number of people who use 'x' mouthpiece"!

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
KingMan

"Onward and Upward"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:23PM »

Harrison Wedge. Dr. Dave modified a Bach 6.5AL for me. Loved it, then went to Wedge 5GS - absolutely the best for me.

Conn 100H
Conn 44H Vocabell
Bernd Vollers Custom Convertible
Olds Ambassador (Fullerton)
Olds Recording (Los Angeles)
MPC: Harrison Wedge 5GS
Remo

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:12AM »

Have played several Marcinkiewicz for many years and still have some favorites.  Mainly playing G&W now.

King 3B - G&W HWatters prototype
Yamaha YSL-640 - Hammond 11M
Getzen 725 - JKlier Exclusive 5B
Holton TR181 - G&W Chinook
Frankenbass: Reynolds/King/Bach - G&W Chinook
Pre59

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:26AM »

I'm surprised to see that Marcinkiewicz is not on the poll list..

In my reality..
Remo

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:16PM »

I'm surprised to see that Marcinkiewicz is not on the poll list..

Me too.  But then I'd never heard of Laskey, Black, Griego, or Stork till I got on the site.  Could be Marcinkiewicz was more a regional thing till that there Internet came around.

King 3B - G&W HWatters prototype
Yamaha YSL-640 - Hammond 11M
Getzen 725 - JKlier Exclusive 5B
Holton TR181 - G&W Chinook
Frankenbass: Reynolds/King/Bach - G&W Chinook
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jun 04, 2015, 12:28PM »

I've been playing Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces for about 20 years.  They have been around for a while.  I like my GR on my King 7B for Jazz/Stage/Dance Band.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
chipolah

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jun 04, 2015, 01:03PM »

I love the mouthpiece that came with my jinbao.  The one that has no markings to indicate size.  Actually, I'm only being partially facetious, it isn't that bad of a mouthpiece... though I always play alto with my Doug Elliott unless I left it somewhere on accident.
If your Jinbao is a large bore tenor, it's a 5G.  If it's a bass, it's a 1-1/2G.  If it's a small bore tenor, it's a 12C and if it's a baritone, it's a 4.

Holton TR-100 / Bach 6-1/2A
Wessex Trombone Consultant
www.chiphoehler.com
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: Jun 15, 2015, 02:16AM »

It is really fantastic how many good mouthpiece manufactorys there is out there, the list long but nevertheless incomplete. When I was a student in the Royal College of Music there about one, Bach.
After that copies of Bach.
Vincent did show the way. Today there is many mouthpieces just as good or better.
Pickett is another newcommer that is also good.
All mouthpieces that does not fit my emboucure and sound consept may be good for you.

Velocity? Confused

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jun 15, 2015, 05:23AM »

Velocity? Confused

They have been making trumpet mouthpieces for at least a year.  Guess they decided to move to trombone as well.  They try to create a vortex in the airflow to get more air through.

Black magic never ends... :/

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: