Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

957049 Posts in 63176 Topics- by 15443 Members - Latest Member: Lowbrass81
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) the "oopsie" list for the 112th Congress
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: the "oopsie" list for the 112th Congress  (Read 5344 times)
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:56AM »

just a list of "mistakes" made so far in the 112th Congress:

(in no particular order)

Pages stuck together and not all the Constitution was read by the House of Representatives - heard on news but no link sorry

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/06/5779086-sessions-never-sworn-in-could-affect-health-repeal-bill-timing

Sessions never sworn-in; could affect health repeal bill timing

...From NBC's Shawna Thomas and Domenico Montanaro
Three would-be members of Congress were never sworn in yesterday, including National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Pete Sessions, which could have an impact on when the health care repeal bill is brought to the floor.

The Texas Republican is a member of the Rules Committee, which has been engrossed all day in debating how to bring the health-care repeal bill to the floor. Debate on the bill is supposed to begin tomorrow, and it is supposed to be voted on Wednesday.

But the news that Sessions -- who participated in debate and votes today in committee -- wasn't sworn in could throw a wrench into that timeline. ...Republican freshman Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (PA). But any votes either of them participated in during the last day-and-a-half could be null.

(Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR) was the third person not sworn in, but he filed a leave of absence with the Clerk's office for yesterday and didn't participate in any votes. ...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/06/boehner-defends-gop-against-charges-its-backtracking-on-promises/#more-142081

Boehner defends GOP against charges it's backtracking on promises

...Boehner was responding to a question from CNN about the fact that House Republicans plan to bring a health care repeal to the House floor without committee hearings, and without giving Democrats an opportunity to offer amendments. Republicans have repeatedly promised that legislation would not be written behind closed doors without committee hearings, and that Democrats would be allowed to offer changes to bills on the House floor.

House Republicans have also angered some tea party activists by saying the $100 billion in spending they promised to cut in the first year is likely out of reach, blaming it on the fiscal calendar among other things. ...

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:28AM »

just a list of "mistakes" made so far in the 112th Congress:

(in no particular order)

Pages stuck together and not all the Constitution was read by the House of Representatives - heard on news but no link sorry

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/06/5779086-sessions-never-sworn-in-could-affect-health-repeal-bill-timing
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/06/boehner-defends-gop-against-charges-its-backtracking-on-promises/#more-142081

thats quite a list.  Yeah, RIGHT.

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:58AM »

thats quite a list.  Yeah, RIGHT.

I'm sure if it was the Democrats who did these things you and Dickerson would be on them like flies on dog poop :)

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:31AM »

more on the "Constitutional" oopsie by Rep. Sessions and Fitzpatrick

this summary is based on watching live CSPAN this AM (- yes I am a political junky, live with it.)

Introduction of GOP resolution minutes ago to address unconstitutional votes and actions taken by Mr. Sessions and Mr. Fitzpatrick on Wednesday and Thursday prior to them being properly sworn into office last night.

Dems made an objection that the GOP was violating new House Rule against bringing matter up for vote prior to 3 days public notice.

Ruled out of order.

the "fix" devised by the GOP to fix the unconsitutional actions of Mr. Sessions and Mr. Fitzpatrick, including Mr. Sessions sitting, at times, as chair of the Rules Committee was limited to 4 minutes of debate, equally divided.

Dem argument was based on the short period of time to consider the resolution in light of the admitted Constitutional violations and to debate it.

the time to vote on the issue was almost 4 times that - 15 minutes.

The GOP admitted the Constitution and Rules of the House were violated by Mr. Sessions and Mr. Fitzpatrick.

27 Dems voted with all Republicans in favor

159 Dems voted against

3 voting present

was this bipartisan?

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:37AM »

Of course it's bipartisan.  One Democrat and all the Republicans means bipartisan ;-)

Of course one Republican and all the Democrats means the Republican is a RINO ;-) ;-) ;-)

Did you really expect the Republicans would do anything different from what they did in 1995 or 2001?  Even despite their protests?

Bruce Guttman
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:54AM »

Bruce, and anyone else interested,

my hope is that this "oopsie" list for the 112th Congress is "bipartisan", IOW, it will list "oopsie" done by the majority party in the House and in the Senate, since it is in charge of the respective branch of the legislature.

I am not aware of any yet in the Senate.

to answer your question Bruce, I expect conflict and lack of cooperation between the parties.  And I don't believe that leopards change their spots in nature or in politics.

This, hopefully, is not the thread to post those however.  I define an "oopsie" as the majority violating the Constitution or the Rules of the body that they have established.

I think no one can say what I have posted doesn't fit that definition.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2011, 05:14AM by sly fox » Logged

Allen
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 05:18AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/opinion/08collins.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Op-Ed Columnist
God Save the Debate
By GAIL COLLINS
Published: January 7, 2011

... Kudos to the Democrats for their spirit of charity in the matter of the two House Republicans who missed the swearing-in ceremony because they were at a celebration elsewhere. Which they insisted was not a fund-raiser, but simply a gathering of 500 constituents who paid $30 apiece to get there.

The lawmakers, Pete Sessions of Texas and Mike Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, did raise their hands and recite the oath of office in front of the televised version of the event. But really, what if we’d all done that? If I’d known it was an option, I would definitely have sworn myself in and then gotten my picture taken with John Boehner.

Plus, Sessions and Fitzpatrick violated the parliamentary rules set down by Thomas Jefferson. If Jefferson had wanted representatives swearing in front of a flat-screened TV, he would have said so. Those founding fathers knew what they were doing.

Things got more complicated when it turned out that Sessions, unsworn, had gone to a committee hearing and voted to set rules for the debate on repealing the health care law. (Fitzpatrick went to the House and took part in the reading of the Constitution.)

To make sure the rules were still legal, the House had to vote to straighten everything out, which it did very speedily and — this is the important part — without all that much Democratic sniping about what had come to be called “the undocumented members.” This was obviously because people have decided that in times of great conflict and stress, it is better to be collegial.

Also, the Republicans permitted only four minutes of debate.

Allen
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:30AM »

"This was obviously because people have decided that in times of great conflict and stress, it is better to be collegial."

Or rather, Democrats have decided that. I guarantee you there will absolutely zero collegiality from the other side. Why would they start now?

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:50AM »

"This was obviously because people have decided that in times of great conflict and stress, it is better to be collegial."

Or rather, Democrats have decided that. I guarantee you there will absolutely zero collegiality from the other side. Why would they start now?
Right, the Dems are Saints. Yeah, RIGHT.  You guarantee?  Sure.  Like that ***** Congressman from Florida.  Is he the poster boy of congeniality for the Dems?

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:52AM »

What does it mean for this thread to have a smiley face in the left column?

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
gpkimzey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:07AM »

Right, the Dems are Saints. Yeah, RIGHT.  You guarantee?  Sure.  Like that ***** Congressman from Florida.  Is he the poster boy of congeniality for the Dems?

Seriously?  Your counter-argument is really going to be, "The other guys are turds, so it doesn't matter if we're turds, too?"

Gary P Kimzey
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:24AM »

Seriously?  Your counter-argument is really going to be, "The other guys are turds, so it doesn't matter if we're turds, too?"
Who said it didn't matter?  There's no counter argument.  Just stating the facts.  Congeniality is not solely a Dem trait.

Ronald Reagan
gpkimzey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:30AM »

Who said it didn't matter?  There's no counter argument.  Just stating the facts.  Congeniality is not solely a Dem trait.

The implication of your post was snarky and clearly intended to imply that it didn't matter in this case.  If you want to back away from that position now that it has been exposed for what it is, that's fine.

And from my point of view, congeniality is not a trait practiced in politics by either party.  Or most of either party's supporters.

Gary P Kimzey
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:33AM »

The implication of your post was snarky and clearly intended to imply that it didn't matter in this case.  If you want to back away from that position now that it has been exposed for what it is, that's fine.

And from my point of view, congeniality is not a trait practiced in politics by either party.  Or most of either party's supporters.
It was meant to be snarky since I was responding to a post that stated that he guaranteed zero congeniality from the Repubs.

Ronald Reagan
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:25PM »

The word is collegiality, and it is a far more common trait on the Dem side of the aisle, and will probably be more so now that the TEA party crowd is in. Although I will grant you that Alan Grayson was the lone Dem who gave as good as they got.

ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:06PM »

The word is collegiality, and it is a far more common trait on the Dem side of the aisle, and will probably be more so now that the TEA party crowd is in. Although I will grant you that Alan Grayson was the lone Dem who gave as good as they got.
How can you say that?  Where is your proof?  I wholeheartedly disagree. Weiner, Reid, Schumer, Feinstein, Boxer, Leahy, Pelosi, Stark, etc., etc are stunning examples of eliitist, partisan slimes. No one on either side has a lock on collegiality or even congeniality.

Ronald Reagan
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:41AM »

Chairman Issa - Republican:

no opportunity for anyone except him, including the Ranking Member (a Democrat) to make opening statement at hearings

never done before - always Chair opens with statement, Ranking Member gives his opening statement and then witnesses.

could it be to prevent the opposing side to have their opinion available for tv?

so much for having open hearings

Allen
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2011, 03:52AM »

I removed the discussion about the Kucinich lawsuit and put it in the new topic "Injury Lawyers..."

Bruce Guttman
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:52AM »

another oopsie, will the House GOP ever start following the rules they created?

despite promises of open hearings and debate, the GOP majority with 10 Democrats joining vote to end "watergate era" reform:  public finance of presidential elections

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70P8VC20110126

House takes aim at public funding of elections

By John Whitesides
WASHINGTON | Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:06pm EST

(Reuters) - The Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives voted on Wednesday to eliminate public financing of presidential campaigns, calling the four-decade-old program obsolete and wasteful.

On a largely symbolic 239-160 vote, House members said taxpayers should not pay for campaigns when government deficits are growing. The bill would apply the savings -- estimated by nonpartisan budget analysts at $617 million over 10 years -- to reduce the deficit.

But the measure, which drew support from 10 House Democrats, is opposed by President Barack Obama and faces almost certain doom in the Democratic-controlled Senate. ...

no committee actions, no hearings, no amendments, isn't that what the GOP was yelling about the last 2 years?  Oh wait, there was committee actions and hearings held by the Democrats wasn't there?

the reason given by the GOP:  "want to save money"

remember that "public financing" is volunatary - you fund it, if you want, by a check off on the tax return and the candidate can opt out to spend more money.

Allen
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:03AM »

This is campaign reform in the wrong direction.

What we need to do is to stop this perpetual campaign that we seem to have going.  The moment a Representative (or even the President) takes office they are starting to raise funds and campaign for re-election.  This is insane.  The guy never really gets to do anything; it's perpetual fundraising and politicking.  No real actions.

I would like to see a 3 month limit on all campaigns.  We start in mid-summer and go to November.  Whole thing.  Primaries, final campaign, etc.  Before that NOTHING.  It's similar to what is done in other democracies and I'll bet it will cut down on a lot of the excesses: there is a limit on how much money you can actually spend in 3 months; even if you blanket the district/country with saturation advertising.  The richer candidates won't have such an advantage and a poor candidate with a good idea might be able to be heard.

I think I also would like to put spending caps on campaigns anyway.  A lot of us get turned off from the incessant "hard sell" ads hammering at the various candidates; usually from their opponents trying to emphasize some defect.  "Are you aware that Frimis is a blatant heterosexual?!?!?!?"

Bruce Guttman
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:10AM »

What we need to do is to stop this perpetual campaign that we seem to have going.  The moment a Representative (or even the President) takes office they are starting to raise funds and campaign for re-election.  This is insane.  The guy never really gets to do anything; it's perpetual fundraising and politicking.  No real actions.

I would like to see a 3 month limit on all campaigns.  We start in mid-summer and go to November.  Whole thing.  Primaries, final campaign, etc.  Before that NOTHING.  It's similar to what is done in other democracies and I'll bet it will cut down on a lot of the excesses: there is a limit on how much money you can actually spend in 3 months; even if you blanket the district/country with saturation advertising.  The richer candidates won't have such an advantage and a poor candidate with a good idea might be able to be heard.

I think I also would like to put spending caps on campaigns anyway.  A lot of us get turned off from the incessant "hard sell" ads hammering at the various candidates; usually from their opponents trying to emphasize some defect.  "Are you aware that Frimis is a blatant heterosexual?!?!?!?"

Sounds good to me but the fox is guarding the hen house so fugedaboudit.

Ronald Reagan
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2011, 10:09AM »

you have to add last night's vote in the House approving the CR to next week as a violation of the GOP's promise not to vote on a bill which hadn't been made public for a minimum time period.

I know it is a "cheap shot" they were up against the deadline but I recall similar complaints when the House of Representatives was run by the Democrats.

Think about it folks, the negotiations are done, but who knows what they are?  What is getting cut and by how much.  In reality, the vote last night was more than extending a CR but it was an approval of the deal as well.  To quote the Republicans from last year -

"who read the bill, where is the bill? What's in the bill"

All we know is the number, although I have seen 38 Billion and 38.5 Billion cited, and the "riders" are gone but some of those will be brought to the floor of the House and Senate for separate up and down votes.

Allen
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2011, 10:37AM »

I have no problem with them bringing up the riders as separate bills.  They can be discussed and passed (or not).  I just object to them being porked into something that MUST be passed.

And it's especially egregious that the porkers are the ones who were campaigning hardest against pork.  Not kosher ;-)

Bruce Guttman
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2011, 01:48PM »

I have no problem with them bringing up the riders as separate bills.  They can be discussed and passed (or not).  I just object to them being porked into something that MUST be passed.

And it's especially egregious that the porkers are the ones who were campaigning hardest against pork.  Not kosher ;-)
School vouchers for poor kids in DC?  What pork?

Ronald Reagan
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2011, 02:08PM »

Surely, you are not hamming it up.

tell me is pork ever kosher? Evil :D

School vouchers for poor kids in DC?  What pork?

Thanks ronkny, you reminded me of another "oopsie" by the House Republicans.  They were always complaining that the Democrats, when they were in charge, were adding "policy" matters and "legislating" when passing "revenue" bills.  They said, if they, (the Republicans) were in charge, they wouldn't do that.

Well, the Republicans are in charge in the House and:

the Republicans did the same thing in their effort to add these "riders" to their take it or leave it offers to the Senate.

That's another "oopsie"

Allen
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2011, 03:22PM »

Surely, you are not hamming it up.

tell me is pork ever kosher? Evil :D

Thanks ronkny, you reminded me of another "oopsie" by the House Republicans.  They were always complaining that the Democrats, when they were in charge, were adding "policy" matters and "legislating" when passing "revenue" bills.  They said, if they, (the Republicans) were in charge, they wouldn't do that.

Well, the Republicans are in charge in the House and:

the Republicans did the same thing in their effort to add these "riders" to their take it or leave it offers to the Senate.

That's another "oopsie"
Where's the pork!

Ronald Reagan
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2011, 04:01PM »

it's not in the kosher hot dogs, for sure ;-)

Allen
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2011, 04:02PM »

it's not in the kosher hot dogs, for sure ;-)
Correct!

Ronald Reagan
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 09, 2011, 05:51PM »

So it's a Kosher budget.  Tov!

Ronald Reagan
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 11, 2011, 10:35AM »

if this true, it is the biggest Oopsie so far

I've heard that sometime this week the House will be debating Ryan's budget proposal for FY 2012 (beginnng Oct 1, 2011 and ending September 30, 2012) that was unveiled last week. 

If so, I have a few questions:

where was the openness of its development

where and when were the hearings on it

where and when did Representative Ryan, (R) Chairman of the House Budget Committee seek the people's input.

who did he get input from?

as I said, this would be the biggest departure from what the GOP promised so far.

do you agree or disagree?

Allen
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Apr 11, 2011, 11:10AM »

I've heard that sometime this week the House will be debating Ryan's budget proposal for FY 2012 (beginnng Oct 1, 2011 and ending September 30, 2012) that was unveiled last week. 

where and when did Representative Ryan, (R) Chairman of the House Budget Committee seek the people's input.

as I said, this would be the biggest departure from what the GOP promised so far.

Disagree

Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Apr 11, 2011, 11:24AM »

Disagree

OK.  So if I do it it's OK.  If you do it it's not OK.  Is that the reasoning?

Bruce Guttman
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 11, 2011, 03:26PM »

We'll see how open, participatory, and transparent the proceedings are once this boondoggle hits the floor. Wouldn't count on much.

sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 15, 2011, 05:07AM »

Another big Oopsie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_exclusive/20110414/pl_yblog_exclusive/why-38-5b-budget-deal-will-only-cut-spending-by-352m

By this account, it seems that the Tea Partiers in the GOP lost the budget battle. Badly.

GOP campaigned on cutting $100 Billion from the President's FY 2011 budget.  Elect us and we will do it.

They win the House and in January pass HR 1, which calls for cutting much less than $100 Billion because we are already in  FY 2011.

Then they "settled" for demanding $41 Billion b/c the FY 2011 was half over.

reached agreement with the President @ 38.5 Billion

which turns out to be much, much, much, much, less -

Another big Oopsie

Sing it!  ... and the beat goes on ...  Sing it!

http://nationaljournal.com/congress/details-of-spending-deal-demonstrate-that-budget-cutting-ain-t-easy-20110412

BUDGET
Budget Cutting Ain’t Easy

spending for the White House and Congress.
By Tim Fernholz

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 | 3:15 p.m. ...

Sing it!  ... the beat goes on ...  Sing it!

I think the Tea Partiers will consider this a betrayal by the "main stream" GOP.

will Michele (ma belle????) or someone challenge Boehner as Speaker?

Is Boehner a RINO?

Are the Tea Partiers happy now?

how about Ronkny, are you happy now?

Allen
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 28, 2011, 02:28AM »

another oopsie, will the House GOP ever start following the rules they created?

. . .

despite promises of open hearings and debate, the GOP majority with 10 Democrats joining vote to end "watergate era" reform:  public finance of presidential elections

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70P8VC20110126

no committee actions, no hearings, no amendments, isn't that what the GOP was yelling about the last 2 years?  Oh wait, there was committee actions and hearings held by the Democrats wasn't there? . . .

you have to add last night's vote in the House approving the CR to next week as a violation of the GOP's promise not to vote on a bill which hadn't been made public for a minimum time period.

I know it is a "cheap shot" they were up against the deadline but I recall similar complaints when the House of Representatives was run by the Democrats.

Think about it folks, the negotiations are done, but who knows what they are?  What is getting cut and by how much.  In reality, the vote last night was more than extending a CR but it was an approval of the deal as well.  To quote the Republicans from last year -

"who read the bill, where is the bill? What's in the bill"

All we know is the number, although I have seen 38 Billion and 38.5 Billion cited, and the "riders" are gone but some of those will be brought to the floor of the House and Senate for separate up and down votes.

now, the GOP is doing it again:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/28/debt.talks/index.html?hpt=us_c2

House vote on Republican debt plan set for Thursday
By Alan Silverleib and Tom Cohen, CNN

July 28, 2011 3:56 a.m. EDT . . .

where is the GOP outrage??????

hypocrisy in action once again.

Allen
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 28, 2011, 04:30AM »

Is this a corollary for the "Be careful what you ask for .." saw?  Here is a case where putting the bill up for extended review will delay it way too long.  Yet this is what the Republicans asked for earlier.

Bruce Guttman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 28, 2011, 05:20AM »

Communist!

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 28, 2011, 06:27AM »

. . . Yet this is what the Republicans asked for earlier.

ASKED FOR

more like DEMANDED and yelled their heads off when they didn't get it.

THEY CAMPAIGNED ON IT AND PROMISED THEY WOULD NOT DO THIS

my secretary had a little sign on her desk, I know, I gave it to her:

"my [the attorney] lack of planning does not create your [the secretary's] emergency"

this was to remind me that I had to allow for preparation time for her to type and make copies.  If I was doing a legal memorandum for the Court due in 20 days, I had to get her the rough draft in 12 days so she could get it back to me in 14 days so I could get her the final by 16 days leaving 4 days to type up the final legal memorandum.

it took planning, discipline and foresight

where or where is that with today's GOP?

nowhere

Allen
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 28, 2011, 06:39AM »

I find the lack of sense of urgency interesting.

We originally had a May deadline for exceeding the debt limit.  When that began to approach, Obama asked his folks to figure out if there was a way to stretch the deadline by accounting "tricks" (moving payments around, etc.).  Suddenly this became the "official" way around the debt limit and we have the uncooperative TEA Party starting to think this can be done again.  If it was so easy to dodge the bullet, don't you think they would have done it again?  This time somebody is going to get hurt, and the markets will lose faith.  While the "hurt" is small, the loss of faith can be devastating.  And we have our Elephantine friends to thank for it.  I guess the last Recession wasn't bad enough for them; they want a bigger one.  Maybe this time a full Panic (like the Panic of 1893).  15% unemployment isn't enough for them (I'm counting discouraged workers here); maybe we need 50%.  Maybe more.  What will happen when nobody has any money to buy the cheap crap coming from overseas any more?

I'm just in a foul mood today. >:(

Bruce Guttman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 28, 2011, 07:15AM »

I'm just in a foul mood today. >:(

Ideologues in the position to impose their self-impōtant, short-sighted foolishness on everyone tends have that kind of effect.

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
ssherwick

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 28, 2011, 08:46AM »

Ideologues in the position to impose their self-impōtant, short-sighted foolishness on everyone tends have that kind of effect.

You just described the Tea Party...

Amazing we agree on something :-)
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:28PM »

now we get to mark this as another broken Republican promise:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/us/politics/house-republicans-push-stopgap-spending-bill.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

WASHINGTON — In last year’s campaigns, Republicans ripped into Democrats for failing to perform one of Congress’s most basic duties: providing money in a timely way for the operations of government.

But Republicans acknowledged Thursday that they would miss the deadline they had promised to meet. They began to rush a stopgap spending bill through the House because, they said, Congress could not finish work on any of the 12 regular appropriations bills before the new fiscal year starts in two weeks, on Oct. 1. 

The stopgap measure maintains spending for the first 49 days of the fiscal year, through Nov. 18, with a 1.5 percent across-the-board cut from current levels, averting at least for now the threat of a government shutdown. Congressional leaders hope the additional time allows them to finish many of the overdue spending measures.

In addition, the stopgap bill includes $3.65 billion in assistance for people affected by Hurricane Irene, wildfires, floods, tornadoes and other natural disasters. Of this amount, $1 billion would be offset by cutting a loan guarantee program for production of more fuel-efficient cars. Republicans’ insistence on the offset infuriated Democrats, who said no such offset had been required for the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

By a vote of 62 to 37, the Senate on Thursday approved a $7 billion disaster relief measure after rejecting Republican efforts to offset the costs. How differences with the House will be resolved is unclear.

Representative Harold Rogers, Republican of Kentucky and chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, said he would have preferred to complete all the bills before Sept. 30. “Unfortunately,” he said, “the Senate is slightly behind schedule.”

the truth, as is set out below in bold, is, of course, the problem is not the fault of the Senate.

Republicans offered several reasons for missing the deadline. They spent the first few months of the year cleaning up after Democrats who had failed to pass any spending bills for 2011. They spent much of July wrangling with President Obama over an increase in the federal debt limit. When the House took up spending bills for 2012, Republicans allowed wide-open debate and hundreds of amendments, including many offered by Republicans who wanted deeper cuts or more restrictions on use of the money by Mr. Obama. . . .

The House has passed 6 of the 12 regular spending bills for 2012, and a seventh, providing money for the Environmental Protection Agency and the Interior Department, was on the floor for four days with no final resolution. The House Appropriations Committee has approved three other bills that have not gone to the House floor. The committee has not even released the text of the most contentious bill, which provides money for the Labor Department and the Department of Health and Human Services.

The Senate has passed just one 2012 spending bill, which would provide $144 billion for military construction projects and veterans’ programs. The House has passed a similar bill, but has not responded to the Senate’s request to hash out a compromise in a conference committee.

On Thursday, the Senate Appropriations Committee approved four 2012 bills, including one that would freeze spending for the normal activities of the Defense Department at $513 billion, which is $26 billion less than Mr. Obama requested and $17 billion less than the House approved in July. The bill would cut $695 million from the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the Pentagon’s largest weapons program.

In addition, the bill would provide $117.6 billion, as requested by Mr. Obama, for “overseas contingency operations” related mainly to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Republicans see the spending bills as a way to clip the wings of federal regulators.

In January, Mr. Obama signed a food safety law that provides broad new authority to the Food and Drug Administration. But one of the 2012 spending bills passed by the House would cut the agency’s budget.

Mr. Obama proposed an increase of more than 50 percent for the Commodity Futures Trading Commission so it could step up regulation of the financial industry and begin policing the over-the-counter derivatives market under the Dodd-Frank Act. The House-passed bill would cut the agency’s current budget by 15 percent, to $172 million.

Representative Marcy Kaptur, Democrat of Ohio, said the bill “takes cops off the beat at the commission, which provides a critical bulwark against the type of speculation and fraud that led our country into the worst recession since the Depression.”

But Representative Jack Kingston, Republican of Georgia and chief author of the bill, said that Democrats “love more regulations,” and that the Dodd-Frank law was “an overreach, more government telling people how to conduct their business.”

Representative James P. Moran, Democrat of Virginia, said the House version of the E.P.A. spending bill carried “a wish list for special interests — oil companies, cattle grazers, industrial agribusiness, miners and those who wish to pollute our air and water.”

Mr. Rogers said that in its zeal for regulation, the agency had lost touch with “economic reality.”

The House bill would also prevent the National Park Service from carrying out boat inspections on waterways in the Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve in Alaska.

“The Park Service in Alaska has become, very frankly, like an occupying army of a free territory,” said Representative Don Young, Republican of Alaska, and he pointed to a case in which he said federal agents had manhandled a 70-year-old on a Yukon River cruise.

of course what is happening is that the House Republicans are refusing to fund an agency tasked to enforce the laws of the United States instead funding it adequately and trying to repeal the law using the methods set forth in the Constitution.

Allen
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 16, 2011, 04:01AM »

Well, this tactic has been used by both sides as a way to manipulate policy.

It just saddens me when we see blatant disregard for needed programs in favor of providing more pork for political contributors.

The boat inspection is interesting.  I wonder how our Alaskan Republicans would feel if their lakes got choked with millefoil, an exotic water weed that grows like crazy, has no natural enemies here, and chokes out natural species including many game fish.  It also gets caught up in speedboat propellers, which is how it normally spreads.  It only takes a piece or two of the plant to propagate.

Bruce Guttman
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sep 27, 2011, 11:14AM »

the DC "deal"

instead of passing budgets here is the Republican Continuing Resolution.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/26/politics/fema-funding/index.html

will the HOuse GOP be able to pull this off?  It just takes one objection, Michele, Michele, Ron, Ron, where are you guys

are you on board or not?

how would your cooperation be seen by your base???

do you want to open yourself up to charges that you are  bipartisan and willing to work with the Dems??

it just takes one.

any bettors in the crowd?
The House of Representatives is expected to take action Thursday on a bipartisan agreement ending a dispute over disaster relief spending that threatened to cause a partial shutdown of the government by the end of the week.

Specifically, the House is set to approve legislation Thursday that will keep the government funded through October 4, followed by a more comprehensive measure next Tuesday that will keep Washington funded through November 18, according to the office of House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Virginia.

Thursday's approval will likely take place through a legislative maneuver known as "unanimous consent," which allows as few as two House members to approve a bill so long as no objections are filed. Most House members are currently away from Washington on a one-week recess.

On Monday night, the Senate approved both bills, which together will fund the federal government for the first seven weeks of the new fiscal year beginning Saturday.

The Senate passed the first measure on a 79-12 vote, then approved the second measure on a voice vote.

The spending proposals contain an additional $2.65 billion in disaster relief needed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency to replenish coffers depleted partly by the federal response to Hurricane Irene, Tropical Storm Lee, and a series of wildfires and tornadoes this year.

The new emergency disaster funding will kick in starting Saturday. . . .

Allen
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:41AM »

as predicted at 11:59:59 eastern,

the GOP led house failed to comply with arguabley number 1 priority, they failed to fund the government for FY 2012.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/04/politics/house-spending-bill/

. . . The short-term funding measures were necessary because Congress has failed to complete its full budget appropriations process due to a sharp partisan divide over government spending issues.

The November 18 extension is intended to provide time to debate and pass appropriations bills for the remainder of fiscal year 2012. However, it's been more than 15 years since both chambers of Congress passed the full range of appropriations bills.

Instead, they have relied on other ways to extend spending authority, such as continuing resolutions or omnibus measures that bundle together multiple appropriations bills. . . .

I wonder when the House GOP leadership will hold that press conference complaining about it, you know like the ones they held complaining about the House Dem leadership when it failed to do so.

don't hold your breath.

by the way, here is the next thread about the House GOP threatened shut down

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,58498.0.html

Allen
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:14AM »

the GOP promise not to pile on items on bills not related to the main issue:

example of the OOPS

passage of the extension of the current fica tax reduction the bill also has lowering unemployment insurace coverage from 99 weeks to 59 weeks, allowing States to require drug testing before "welfare" receipents are eligible for aid and requiring a decision on the "Keystone" pipeline issue 60 days after the pasage of the proposed law.

the House GOP broke another promise

Allen
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:57AM »

I knew about the Keystone deal but didn't know about the reduction in Extended Unemployment.  Interesting.

And a classic case of hypocrisy from the Republicans.

Do the Democrats pile on stuff?  Sure.  But they are honest and don't promise not to "pile on".

Reminds me of the "Moral Majority", which was neither.

Bruce Guttman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:36AM »

Bruce said:
Do the Democrats pile on stuff?  Sure.  But they are honest and don't promise not to "pile on".

Democrats are honest and say "sure we lie all the time". :)

Energy City Big Band
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:51AM »

well, remember the promise that the Republicans would wait to vote on bills????

seems like, once again, the promise doesn't apply if it interfers with the GOP House planned recess.

once again, the House went ahead and voted ahead of its deadline of the minimum time it pledged not to act

since it was so bad when the House did so under the Dems.

any how, the compromise on the continued payroll deduction rate/umemployment/medidoc has passed the House, the Senate and only awaits the promised signature of the President.

commitments by the GOP being kept, unless it's inconvenient to do so, of course.

Evil :D

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/17/10435191-congress-passes-payroll-tax-cut-extension

Allen
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:35PM »

well, remember the promise that the Republicans would wait to vote on bills????

seems like, once again, the promise doesn't apply if it interfers with the GOP House planned recess.

once again, the House went ahead and voted ahead of its deadline of the minimum time it pledged not to act

since it was so bad when the House did so under the Dems.

any how, the compromise on the continued payroll deduction rate/umemployment/medidoc has passed the House, the Senate and only awaits the promised signature of the President.

commitments by the GOP being kept, unless it's inconvenient to do so, of course.

Evil :D

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/17/10435191-congress-passes-payroll-tax-cut-extension

you're glad they passed it aren't you?

Energy City Big Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Feb 17, 2012, 05:13PM »

I'm glad they passed it not because I like increasing the debt, but because we still have too many people who are unemployed. If we can get the employment up with well-paying jobs, the problem with deficit spending will correct itself.

I'm seeing a combination of people who don't have some of the skills and possible employers who are being unreasonable in their requirements.  If you put down a laundry list of skills and experience and start looking you will find lots of people who meet 80-85% of your requirements (at least among the Engineers I know looking for Engineer jobs).  Problem is they are looking for 110% of the requirements (and they don't let you know what that extra 10% actually is).  Most decent Engineers will be happy to learn new skills to grow into a job.  But a lot of the folks who have all the skills may not be happy and will move on as soon as they get an opportunity.  So the unrealistic requirements are a self-defeating criticism.

Bruce Guttman
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: