Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1060981 Posts in 70655 Topics- by 18459 Members - Latest Member: Jande
Jump to:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: joining the "olds" crowd  (Read 37204 times)
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:50AM »

Wife came through for another Birthday present. Unless something unforeseen happens, I'm going  to be joining the "Olds" crowd.  won a ebay auction for a LA Olds Super"

111xx - Circa 1938

7" Bell

Dual bore .495/.510

Fluted Inner Slides

Friction Fit

Offered here is a great playing FE Olds Super Trombone made in Los Angeles CA.

There is some finish wear and minor dents through-out the instrument - overall it is in good condition for its age and being a used instrument. The inner slide plating has no wear through - the slide action is nice. The tuning slide moves freely and the water key works fine. This horn has a excellent warm tone and can brighten up when needed - this is a fantastic horn for Big Band or Dixie performance. Very flexible through the partials with good intonation through its range. The original coffin style case is included and is in decent usable condition. There is no mouthpiece.

my pictures will be added to my gallery in the near future.

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:11AM »

Welcome Allen- I'm a probationary member of the Olds crowd myself (I own one, but have only played it for like 20 minutes before bringing it to get dedentified/aligned/etc).

Hopefully I'll have some pics and further insight on the thing in a week or so.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:26AM »

Bout time you broke down and bought an LA Olds.  Pant

Congrats!  Good!

T.

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:29AM »

Well, I joined the Olds crowd in 1964 when I got an Ambassador with F (LA, used).  I became a confirmed member later when I added my 1925 TIS ML in about 1965.  The 1925 really wasn't used much until I had it reconditioned in 1984.  The Ambassador was replaced by a Conn 79H.

Olds was a great instrument in their day.  Too bad they got eclipsed by the more popular brands.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:44AM »

Bout time you broke down and bought an LA Olds.  Pant

Congrats!  Good!

T.

finally found one you didn't out bid me on. Evil :D

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:52AM »

Olds was a great instrument in their day.  Too bad they got eclipsed by the more popular brands.
Vintage Olds are still great instruments today. I'm kinda glad they have become eclipsed by some "popular" stuff, it gives me more opportunities to buy more.  :D
Doug Elliott played my '42 Super (7 inch bell), and he seemed to really dig it. Good!

finally found one you didn't out bid me on. Evil :D

You're just lucky I was broke, and wasn't looking.  LOL !  :D

T.

Μολὼν λάβε
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:51AM »

Troy's is a really nice, smooth playing horn.  I joined the club the day I started playing - my first horn was a 1950's Recording and I still have it.  I think I'll take it on a gig sometime.

www.DougElliottMouthpieces.com
XT LexanN104,C+,D2, Williams 6, K&H Slokar alto, K&H Slokar Solo .547 open wrap
Elkhart 88H

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:23PM »

Well, I joined the Olds crowd in 1964 when I got an Ambassador with F (LA, used).  I became a confirmed member later when I added my 1925 TIS ML in about 1965.  The 1925 really wasn't used much until I had it reconditioned in 1984.  The Ambassador was replaced by a Conn 79H.

You've been an Olds fan slightly longer than I have, Bruce.  The horn I started playing on in 1967 was a raw brass Olds Standard with the .495/.510 LM dual bore, slide tuning and a 7-1/2" bell.  It was a pro horn and it played like one.  It wasn't until many years later that I appreciated how much better it was than the shiny new Conn Directors, Holton Collegiates and King Clevelands that the other fourth-graders had.

I scored another Standard on eBay many years later for $44, identical to my first horn except for bell size (7") and condition (quite a bit rougher).  It, too, is an amazing horn.

Don Bilger
Second Trombone, Southern Great Lakes Symphony (may it rest in peace)
Second Trombone, Spectrum Orchestra
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:56PM »

:)  Wonder how many of us there are?  I sure enjoy L.A. Super when I play it.  Sly, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when it arrives. 

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
Richard Tadaki

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:05PM »

I was just wondering, which has a darker sound?  The Recording or the Super?  I think there are differences in the way their bells are made but I'm not sure what the differences are.  Would someone please enlighten me?

Don't worry Troy and sly fox.  I'm not joining in the hunt.  I've already spent waaaayyy more money on trombones than I ever dreamed I would.   Amazed   Don't know

Aloha,
Richard
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:23PM »

Recording.  You could look at the Super and the Recording sort of like a 2B and a 3B, but less difference between them.

Richard Tadaki

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:40PM »

Thanks, Doug.   :)
octavposaune

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:32PM »

Hi Doug,

I thought the Olds Studio is like a 2B.  Very Hot, punchy sounding horns.

Big bell (8.5" red brass) recordings with the F attachment are pretty dark for a small bore.

It is all semantics.

Enjoy your vintage Olds!

Benn
Doug Elliott
Lord of the Rims

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:42PM »

Maybe it can be hot and punchy but I was playing it in a hotel room.  I was surprised at how mellow and smooth it was.  I guess the same thing might be said of a 2B, played in a hotel room...

All the Recordings I've played have been straight horns, no F attachment.

octavposaune

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:49PM »

Ah,

But Recording models did come with F attachments!!  I have seen 2 in my shop.  A cherry all red brass LA and a later Fullerton with a ripped valve port that I had to patch for a broke school.

Slides were the same as regular recordings but they had an interesting dog leg bend to accomodate the 8.5" bell and F rotor.

Studios, Supers, Recordings, Operas.  All interesting instruments, not for everyone. 

Benn
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:49PM »

Dual bore .495/.510
I'd be surprised if that's correct; S-15 Supers are usually .485"/.500".

I've got one from about the same time; rescued it from a junk/antique store in Victorville, CA. Beat half to death but still plays.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
LizM

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2011, 11:08PM »

You've been an Olds fan slightly longer than I have, Bruce.  The horn I started playing on in 1967 was a raw brass Olds Standard with the .495/.510 LM dual bore, slide tuning and a 7-1/2" bell.  It was a pro horn and it played like one.  It wasn't until many years later that I appreciated how much better it was than the shiny new Conn Directors, Holton Collegiates and King Clevelands that the other fourth-graders had.

I scored another Standard on eBay many years later for $44, identical to my first horn except for bell size (7") and condition (quite a bit rougher).  It, too, is an amazing horn.

Robb Stewart has an Olds 'LM' listed on his used list....I've been wondering what in the world it was.

http://robbstewart.com/ForSaleLists/ForSaleList.html
Edward_Solomon
Vintage trombone aficionado

"Freelance semi-pro bass/contrabass trombonist"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:10AM »

I picked up a 1915 Olds Standard recently. It's quite simply breathtaking. I've never come across a slide so good on a trombone so old. The tolerances are such that it will only work well with Slide-O-Mix. Just about every other vintage trombone I own uses slide cream, but this is truly in a class of its own.
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:35AM »

But Recording models did come with F attachments!! 
I think Doug meant he had never played a Recording with an F attachment, not that they didn't exist.

I have one (w/F), that I bought from a forum member from Australia.

Richard, the Recording does play darker and more mello (IMHO).

T.

Μολὼν λάβε
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:57AM »

Robb Stewart has an Olds 'LM' listed on his used list....I've been wondering what in the world it was.

http://robbstewart.com/ForSaleLists/ForSaleList.html

Depends on how old it is. Early (Pre 1920) L/M horns were .485/.500. I've had a few that were marked L/M and were .490/.505. More recent ones were .495/.510. The one he listed is from 1924, so I'd wager it's .490/.505. Aside from the bore, it's a TIS horn and he claims it has a "large bell" which may indicate an LM8 (8" bell). In 1924, most had the bear engraved on the bell flare. Seems like a pretty good price too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: