Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1063692 Posts in 70690 Topics- by 18588 Members - Latest Member: Tbonesean
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: joining the "olds" crowd  (Read 38542 times)
Sporto

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:20AM »

I picked up a 1915 Olds Standard recently. It's quite simply breathtaking. I've never come across a slide so good on a trombone so old. The tolerances are such that it will only work well with Slide-O-Mix. Just about every other vintage trombone I own uses slide cream, but this is truly in a class of its own.

yeah, incredibly well made slides, and not just for a 90 yr. old horn, for any horn..  my 1921 TIS is smooth as can be and very close tolerance.
(John Sandhagen did the slide set-up)

ORY LIVES

Uptown Rhythm Makers
www.facebook.com/URMjazz
octavposaune

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:22PM »

Euphanasia,

You had several LM7's????  I miss my cherry LM7.  It was .495-.515", had an original Olds bakelight mouthpiece and the original extremely lightweight LA Olds mouthpiece, which I still have and use on altos.  It was silver with gold wash in the bell.

I would love to have the same bore LM8.  Too many things to want...

My Olds symphony had a spectactular slide until the rod got stuck in it and split the original slide tube!!  That was 10 years ago, now it is a wall decoration in my shop.

Benn
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:48PM »

ha ha  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed

finally found one you didn't out bid me on. Evil :D

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:52PM »

so many  cool olds  models 
 nobody else did a  hammered bell  like the military
    then you got radio    and  standard   ones w  bears on them
 tis  bass  bones 
   studios    studios studios    versions
specials  -i really like specials 
   the hawiaan  [surfer]
 variations on supers
 FEATHERWEIGHT     recording 
   Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it! Sing it!

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
artyart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:32AM »

I picked up and Olds "M" #5xxx (1924-ish?) normal tuning,bear on the 6.5" bell, well used, for 30 bucks at a yard sale, with some cleaning it plays great, huge sound for a peashooter, and even though the slide is VERY worn it works well (at some point I'll remove the dents, and re-tube it if I can get the right inners) It is a nice complement to my 1950's "special" that I rebuilt and use now and then (smaller bore , bigger bell) built like a tank...that one was 40 bucks.... ;-) They both have paid for themselves a few times over already.

tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:24AM »

the hawiaan  [surfer]
I have one of them. Maybe Richard or Drew needs one, to play in Hawaii.  :D

Need to send it to John S. first, to get it ready to sell (yes, sadly) I might just part with it (need some funds, to re-tube my 4).

Seen a overhauled one go for $2K on the bay.  Amazed

T.

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
Richard Tadaki

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:07AM »

Hahaha...  When I saw dj's reference to a Hawaiian surfer, the very first thing I wondered about was if Drew already had one.  Seems like it would be the very thing for his collection!!!   Good!   :D    As for me, I have what I need.   :)  After all, I don't want to be piggy.   :D

Aloha,
Richard
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:48AM »

Hahaha...  When I saw dj's reference to a Hawaiian surfer, the very first thing I wondered about was if Drew already had one.  Seems like it would be the very thing for his collection!!!   Good!   :D    As for me, I have what I need.   :)  After all, I don't want to be piggy.   :D

Aloha,
Richard
But Richard, that Silver Plated 1946 LA Super would look good in ANYONE"S collection. Piggy or not.  :D

Never had figured out why they call them "The Hawaiian model". I've only saw 3 of them before - pretty rare... and pretty cool. Good!

T.

Μολὼν λάβε
Richard Tadaki

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:28PM »

Well, Troy, you're doing better than me.  I never even heard of a Hawaiian model, and I live here!   Don't know   :D

Anyway, I hope Drew picks up on this and finds one.  He's a pretty good hunter when it comes to finding interesting trombones.   :)

Aloha,
Richard
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:24AM »

The trombone just got here.  My local expert (TWCB Bone) declares the slide to be excellent, like new.
Pictures will follow next soon, I promise

serial number  on inner and outer slide  115xx

serial number on bell 7  111xx

fluted inner slide

"Made by FE Olds & Son Los Angles Calif"    some engraving "Super Olds" some engraving.

is it unusual for the serial numbers not to match on vintage Super Olds?   Anyone have any idea of why the bell has 7 preceding the serial number?  Could that be the bell size?

case shows its age, end flaps are pealing. 

Pictures will follow.

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:26PM »

is it unusual for the serial numbers not to match on vintage Super Olds?   Anyone have any idea of why the bell has 7 preceding the serial number?  Could that be the bell size?
Based on what I've seen, non-matching serials are pretty common; I'm thinking matching numbers might actually be less common than non-matching, but my sample is far too small.

Yes, the 7 indicates a 7" bell.

Glad to hear it's got a good slide. That's always a concern on horns that old.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:30AM »

in examining my Super Olds, I noticed that I had to feel the inner tubes before I could tell they were "fluted".  Also the "fluting" ended at the stockings.  Is this common? Or do I need new glasses.  I found the following patents regarding "fluted" slides:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=zdBNAAAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=0Pp9AAAAEBAJ

any thoughts?

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:46AM »

The stockings are round.  Otherwise you would never get a good seal.

In order to tell fluting I need to look at a reflection of a line of light like a fluorescent tube; you see the discontinuities.  Or I take off my glasses; I'm extremely  nearsighted.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
mdunn

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:04AM »

The trombone just got here.  My local expert (TWCB Bone) declares the slide to be excellent, like new.
Pictures will follow next soon, I promise

serial number  on inner and outer slide  115xx

serial number on bell 7  111xx

fluted inner slide

"Made by FE Olds & Son Los Angles Calif"    some engraving "Super Olds" some engraving.

case shows its age, end flaps are pealing. 

Pictures will follow.

I asked Euphanasia about the serial numbers on Olds being 5 digit on the slide and 6 on the bell section.
He said it was common for Olds to do that and also more common then not to have non-matching numbers.
Mine is as you describe Sly so that's two horns anyway that fit that description.
Mine is an LA Super as well. The serial number puts it at 1955 which I think is the year they moved to Fullerton so maybe mine was assembled in Fullerton with an LA bell??   
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:22AM »

Pictures of the 1938ish Super Olds are now in my gallery.  for those who haven't been there yet, click on "goodies" above and then on "gallery".  The pictures show the engravings on the kranz on the bell.  According to T, the engraving is hand done, not stamped.  They show the bell section, the outer slide and inner slide.  The "fluting" does not show.  the instrument certian shows some "vintge marks".  As does the case but it still protects the instrument.

Comments are welcome.

Allen
Steven

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:00AM »

So how does it play?  I like my (late model Fullerton) Super.  It is supple.  Not nearly as bright as some other trombones that small.

Steven Cangemi
tsmart

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:08PM »

Comments??  Don't know

Well....
1) You got a cool case. It should have a "curtain", that flips over the bell and snap fastens to the inside of the case. Looks like it's gone, but if you get ingenious and re-do that case - you can add the curtain back. Those are the COOLEST cases IMHO.

2) the tone ring/Krantz - is one of the wide ones!!! NICE! Mines much smaller/thinner. It is hand engraved. From '35 - '42, all are hand engraved.
After WWII, when they went back to making Supers again(in 1946), the tone rings had the lettering "stamped" into them. You got a COOL one.  Good!

3) 7 inch bell... I had 5 Supers, only 1 had the 7 inch bell (others were 7.5 inches). I like the 7 inch bell Supers better.  Good!
Compact, can peal wallpaper at 20 yards... projects like a laser!!  Good!

I'd have the dents popped out, and if the patina looks good to you - I'd leave it be. If the patina is rough, polish the lacquer off with wrights.
Awesome horn dude. Congrats!

T.

Μολὼν λάβε
mdunn

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:49PM »

I asked Euphanasia about the serial numbers on Olds being 5 digit on the slide and 6 on the bell section.
He said it was common for Olds to do that and also more common then not to have non-matching numbers.
Mine is as you describe Sly so that's two horns anyway that fit that description.
Mine is an LA Super as well. The serial number puts it at 1955 which I think is the year they moved to Fullerton so maybe mine was assembled in Fullerton with an LA bell??   

Now that I've seen the pics I realize mine is only like yous in respect to the non-matching serial numbers.
You have a real classic! Very cool! 
sly fox

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:53PM »

have you folks seen this article for the Super Olds, it contains a link to a 1935 catelogue as well

http://www.robbstewart.com/Olds/OldsSuperTrombones.html

Allen
NeilRWiz
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:32PM »

Tis' a Good horn...welcome to the family...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: