Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1075928 Posts in 71322 Topics- by 18934 Members - Latest Member: Klwklwmom
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: joining the "olds" crowd  (Read 42754 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Jan 01, 2017, 02:32PM »

SUPER. Yes it is but playing a horn without a counter weight is new to me. I can feel the fatigue in my left arm resisting the torque.
How do you other Super players deal with this?
Has anyone tried adding a counterweight? (Would the newer TV shaped CW fit?)
There is the "It was designed that way. Counterweights were not unknown. So it must have been intentional. So deal with it." arguement but ergonomics say otherwise.
It's definitely a beautiful horn that's fun to play.
What say you?
Duff
Seola Creek

Duct tape a D battery to the tuning slide brace and see if that makes it better.  If so, that's about the weight of most after market counterweights.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:37PM »

Duct tape a D battery to the tuning slide brace and see if that makes it better.  If so, that's about the weight of most after market counterweights.

Bruce
I heavy some heavy lead wire (~3/16" fishing tackle) which I wrapped around the tuning slide bow. That helped but dampened the sound. I next tried a CONN sandwhich type CW with the help of some duct tape.
This worked but also seemed to effect the sound. Interestingly it seemed to cut the fluidity moving between notes but B above middle C seemed to slot easier(?).
This got me wondering if others had found adding a counterweight worthwhile.

Duff
oslide

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Jan 02, 2017, 03:55PM »

This got me wondering if others had found adding a counterweight worthwhile.

Here are just a few threads that touch this topic.

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,76928.0/all.html
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,74205.0/all.html
http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,83657.msg1064289.html#msg1064289

In my opinion the effect of adding a counterweight (or two) is like adding weight in other places (e.g. at the mouthpiece (megatone)): More core to the sound, less flexibility.
Big Daddy K

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:49AM »

I joined the Olds crowd this week. Snagged a nice 1949 Special in raw brass.

1940 King Liberty
1949 Olds Special
Roy Benson 227F/Gb

"The contest entry form said 'void where prohibited' so I pissed on the Captain's desk".
Douglas Fur

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Feb 10, 2017, 07:37PM »

OK
I was playing around last night and the whim to try my Ambassador slide with my Super caught me. You read about how each metal plays but actually trying it in a close comparison was really interesting. You can read something like "dark tuetonic sound" and it tells you zip. Playing this combination there was a dramatic difference. To throw some words at it the brass slide was "warmer" than the nickel silver. Turning the tables, with the nickel slide  and the Ambassador bell was not as dramatic.

I'm not yet saying this is the way to fly as I'm partial to the designer's original intent but it's an I retesting option.

Duff
Seola Creek.
John McKevitt

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Feb 13, 2017, 12:18PM »

I joined a couple years back when I picked up a1960's S23 Old Bass 10" bell modified with a single Axial Flow valve form the Brass Ark. It is all silver plated with tuning in the Bell section. It is dark, powerful with a solid core. If anyone out there is the original owner, I would like to know more about the modifications. It accepts 562 bore leadpipes  easily and the outer slide will fit over my Edwards DB 562/578 inner slide. So I am not sure of what the slide bores are now. One great surprise is that it also fits on my Shires Bass and gives it a great Dense Classical sound . Oddlythe lower tube on the Olds is too small to fit on my Shires DB 562/78 inner slide.
 I got to play a 1950's S23 in Original condition. Wow what a Bass Trombone. Its hard to believe it was a Dual Bore. What were their bore sizes?
  Looking to pick up a Recording Model. I was wondering if the A20(510-525 bore) Ambassador slide would be interchangeable with it or the 8 1/2" Recording w/ F attach.
  THanks, John McKevitt
Geordie

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Feb 13, 2017, 01:23PM »

Were all of the straight Recording models fitted with 'fluted' slides, if not when did it change?
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Feb 13, 2017, 04:23PM »

Ambassador Bass ( mine is '58) is small shank and fits all small shank Olds bones like Recording and the likes.
Ambassador bass slide width is Recording width, about 1" wider than a Super and the smaller models.
Not sure if the printed specs of 510-525 are anything to be trusted. Every Olds catalogue at www.itsabear.conm lists ALL the Recording, SuperStar and Ambassador basses as .495/ .510...and quite a big .510 at that.

My S-23 is a '55 Los Angeles. Stock with a bell a hair larger than 10 1/2". A double trigger horn with a 10 1/2" bell before 1960.
I played a huge red 10 1/2" Bach 50B3LG for over 20 years. My S-23 makes the largest Bach bass feel like a small child's toy or a pbone.
I found it to be quite a difficult horn to play-- until I just sucked it up one day and decided the only way to play it is to forget all of the R&D done post-WWII and just BLOW. It works a lot better if you just pretend it is a German bass, from about 1880, without mods.
leec

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:04PM »

I've become a recent member of the club. I have a 192x tenor with TIS, dual bore and counter weight which is attached to the crook.  Serials match on bell and slide 53xx, no slide lock OPPS! Ron Patch of Toronto has done his magic on the slide and my Band director and mentor has removed some dents on the crook of the bell.  The bell is also marked M.  I think it plays awesomely, soft and gentle  to wake up the dead.  Currently finding a Yamaha 48 seems to work well. I don't know what model it might be perhaps they didn't have names for different one back in the day.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:39PM »

Does yours have the bear engraving on the bell?  (Like JohnL's avatar)  I believe that is from the mid 1920s.  Mine does.

I think they just called it Olds back then.  There was a Tuning in Bell model called "Self-Balancing".  Without the counterweight mine would be nearly unplayable :-0

M is the Medium Bore.  Mine is LM (Large-Medium) so it's a little bigger.  I also have an 8" bell, which seems rather unusual.

They are great horns.  Enjoy yours.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:17AM »

Up until the mid-1920's, Olds only made the TIS configuration, so it was just "The Olds Trombone". Once the Self-Balancing was introduced (around 1926), they started calling the TIS configuration the "Standard" model.

Years later, they redesignated the TIS as the "Standard Original" and the Self-Balancing became the "Standard Self-Balancing". Eventually, the TIS tenors vanished completely and the "Standard Self-Balancing" became just the "Standard".

Question change.
Embrace progress.
Take the time to learn the difference.
leec

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Feb 28, 2017, 02:23PM »

Does yours have the bear engraving on the bell?  (Like JohnL's avatar)  I believe that is from the mid 1920s.  Mine does.

I think they just called it Olds back then.  There was a Tuning in Bell model called "Self-Balancing".  Without the counterweight mine would be nearly unplayable :-0

M is the Medium Bore.  Mine is LM (Large-Medium) so it's a little bigger.  I also have an 8" bell, which seems rather unusual.

They are great horns.  Enjoy yours.

Yes mine has the bear plus a larger engraving above that. I am enjoying playing it.
Geordie

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Mar 16, 2017, 02:35PM »

Have just added an early 1960s Olds Recording to the stable, alongside my Olds Special. It's in great condition and plays/slots well with my Fischer 12c MP. On a, possibly, related note - does any one know what instruments Kleinhammer used in The Art of Trombone Playing?  Illustrations 12 and 13 look like a Recording. What do you think?
leec

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Apr 22, 2017, 01:32PM »

Not a lot of mention of the Studio model.  Any thoughts on this version of the old OLDS?   Good!
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Apr 22, 2017, 05:07PM »

Not a lot of mention of the Studio model.  Any thoughts on this version of the old OLDS?   Good!

A few years ago I sold a Studio to a friend.  She tried that one and a Special for abt 3 weeks, rigorous alternating, picked the Studio as the better player.  (Unfortunatly it was stolen a few years later.) 

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
Posaunus

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Apr 22, 2017, 05:43PM »

I have a 1954 Olds Studio, purchased from Euphanasia a few years ago. 
0.485"/0.500" dual-bore slide, 7.5" bell, brass outer slides, yellow brass neck, chrome-plated Nickel-Silver inner slide tubes, Nickel-Silver tuning slide and bell. 

It's a very nice, well-built, robust instrument (especially after a little tweaking of the now-nearly-perfect slide), which I mostly use for Dixieland.  For mouthpiece, I alternate among an authentic Olds 3 or an old Bach 11C or old Bach 7C - still haven't decided which is best.  But I love this trombone! 
JimArcher

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Apr 22, 2017, 08:41PM »

I used a P-16 with the Herrick lp slide for many years for dixieland, worked better than any other Olds for me. (The group went bellyup a few years ago, now, the tubist is deceased, the trumpet had to quit and the clarinetist just got too old. I miss the play.)

Jim Archer, an old, old Olds fan
Olympia, WA
Sporto

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:26PM »

On a, possibly, related note - does any one know what instruments Kleinhammer used in The Art of Trombone Playing?  Illustrations 12 and 13 look like a Recording. What do you think?

The braces look like a Conn to me.

ORY LIVES

Uptown Rhythm Makers
www.facebook.com/URMjazz
Geordie

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Apr 23, 2017, 06:29AM »

Sporto I asked the same question on March 16th as I am convinced the horn in this illustrations is a Recording. I think the braces are Olds Recording too as they look like my horn.
leec

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 09, 2017, 06:59PM »

I've just added a Special to my small collection.  Dual bore all nickel plated, slide's good after a bath.  Not much talk about the specials, although Mr Kennedy likes them.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: