Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092575 Posts in 72179 Topics- by 19440 Members - Latest Member: drater421
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: joining the "olds" crowd  (Read 47456 times)
Arrowhead99

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Jun 23, 2017, 01:18PM »

My dream car would be a '55 Olds. would love to then take a picture of my horn with THAT car.
Anyways, I just pulled out an L.A. Olds Super out of the closet. Somehow I overlooked this horn. I love the efficient build and compact tone this trombone has!  Idea!
oslide

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:57AM »

Actually I'm not new to Olds horns, having played a Recording many years ago.
Later, I also made acquaintance with Supers, a Studio, and even a P-16.

Not too long ago, a TTF thread mentioning Bill Pierce got me - once again - interested in Olds Operas. What a sound! Till then, I'd always shied away from large bore horns due to my chronic asthma, but finally I decided to have a go at it.

Okay - but where to get an Opera in good shape at a reasonable price? The answer - you guessed it - DJ Kennedy.

Not only did he have a very nice straight Opera 'at hand', he also found me an excellent case for it as well as a MV12 mouthpiece (what else?) that I had asked him for. Because at the moment he didn't have a fitting MP adapter, he himself made one for me from a sheet of sterling silver, with engravings and all it takes (that's why I call the horn my 'sterling Opera'). Kudos to DJ for his support and dedication!

So, since a few days, I'm getting to know this horn. A wonderful sound, like a bell, so clear and pure! On the other hand it couldn't feel much heavier if it really was made from sterling silver. Being used to playing lighweight .500 horns it's a challenge for my left shoulder. But certainly it's worth the effort and I don't regret my decision. What an adventure!
sally

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Jan 11, 2018, 12:40AM »

Hello everyone, after lurking for a while, this is my first post.
I am a member of the Olds Club now, as my LA Olds Standard arrived today! The serial number dates him to 1942. He has a 7 inch bell, dual bore and very sweet sound
"Stan" is my first real trombone, after a P-bone and then a loaner horn from the brass band I play in.
Now just to get the tuning slide unstuck (I've been reading past threads on this and I'm trying the WD-40 first).
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Jan 11, 2018, 11:50AM »

Is it stuck fully closed or partly open?  If it's a little open you can try to tap it closed (use a light soft hammer or crab mallet).  If it's fully closed there are a few tricks you can try.  It's really a quick fix for somebody who does brass repairs as it's a very common problem, and probably won't cost much.

Welcome to the Olds club.  Mine is a 1925 with tuning in the slide and an oddity: an 8" bell.  It really plays nicely and I love it for French orchestral rep.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
sally

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: Jan 12, 2018, 02:50AM »

Sounds like a nice beast. I'm loving mine. I think I might look at getting a counter-weight for him - he's a bit front heavy.

The slide is stuck fast in the fully-in position. WD-40 applied today.
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:55PM »

this  trombone  was recently  owned   by CLARK GAYTON [in recording sessions all week w STING]   has the  look 
aaron chandler  did  slide  and dent workup  ////i  bought  another  opera  --to get  the case
 MV 12  --theres  one  on eBay this  week @ 200  !!!!!!--they are  a  BIG  HORN esp after  2b size
 horns  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  //

Actually I'm not new to Olds horns, having played a Recording many years ago.
Later, I also made acquaintance with Supers, a Studio, and even a P-16.

Not too long ago, a TTF thread mentioning Bill Pierce got me - once again - interested in Olds Operas. What a sound! Till then, I'd always shied away from large bore horns due to my chronic asthma, but finally I decided to have a go at it.

Okay - but where to get an Opera in good shape at a reasonable price? The answer - you guessed it - DJ Kennedy.

Not only did he have a very nice straight Opera 'at hand', he also found me an excellent case for it as well as a MV12 mouthpiece (what else?) that I had asked him for. Because at the moment he didn't have a fitting MP adapter, he himself made one for me from a sheet of sterling silver, with engravings and all it takes (that's why I call the horn my 'sterling Opera'). Kudos to DJ for his support and dedication!

So, since a few days, I'm getting to know this horn. A wonderful sound, like a bell, so clear and pure! On the other hand it couldn't feel much heavier if it really was made from sterling silver. Being used to playing lighweight .500 horns it's a challenge for my left shoulder. But certainly it's worth the effort and I don't regret my decision. What an adventure!

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:01PM »

SO A LONELY VERY TARNISHED   olds  appeared  with  very unusual deco engraving
 and  at  first  glance  after  opening  the very simple shaped  case
   i knew  i had  struck GOLD !!!!!!!  --yes  GOLD  plated  cloudy tarnish --duo  bore
 also  an unmarked  lightweight  GOLD PLATED  MOUTH PIECE !!!  obviously  a  custom
  slip  joint  duo bore  nickle  plated inners   serial lo 7000s
   slide excellent  - Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant Pant

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: