Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1053185 Posts in 70099 Topics- by 18227 Members - Latest Member: Lefevka
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: www.westonsprott.com  (Read 14813 times)
Weston Sprott

View Profile WWW
« on: Feb 19, 2011, 10:26PM »

For those who may be interested... I recently launched a new design of my website. I am regularly updating the playing tips section with in depth details about how to improve your playing. So, for you younger guys who are scouring the internet for information, here's one more place to look. I hope some of these tips can be helpful. If you would like me to write about something in particular in the playing tips section or have thoughts for a new article, feel free to send me an email through the site and perhaps we will make something of it. All the best!

Weston Sprott

Weston Sprott
fluor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2011, 04:39AM »

GREAT site!

Are all those topiccs in "playin tips" supposed to become links? in that case, it's not much to ask for, you cover the whole subject of playing trombone! :D

This is really great!

One thing I would like to read thoughts on, is "how to play low C good for tenor trombonists". hehe. I have a very good valve register on tenor, but it's hard to play C loud. And most tenor players I know shift to do it.
David Schwartz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2011, 05:43AM »

What a great resource you've created for the trombone community!

David A. Schwartz, Belmont, Massachusetts
Bordogni and Breakfast Website
ParLawGod
The Man Who Doesn't Need a Title

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:50AM »

Looks great, thanks for sharing!
Weston Sprott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:01AM »

Fluor,
All of the playing tips will eventually become links. I try to do at least a couple of them every week. There will also be additional articles as well. I'd be happy to write something about playing in the low trigger register as well. Check back in the next week or so and something will be posted in the articles section.

Weston

GREAT site!

Are all those topiccs in "playin tips" supposed to become links? in that case, it's not much to ask for, you cover the whole subject of playing trombone! :D

This is really great!

One thing I would like to read thoughts on, is "how to play low C good for tenor trombonists". hehe. I have a very good valve register on tenor, but it's hard to play C loud. And most tenor players I know shift to do it.

Weston Sprott
stanzabone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:06AM »

Excellent web page. Everyone should bookmark The Letter "M", and the baseball analogy is perfect.
And that's after looking for about two minutes.

"Keep it greasy so it'll go down easy" - Frank Zappa
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2011, 02:49PM »

Wow.  I wish half the tenors at the Met could sing Che Gelida Manina as well as you played it.

Nice resource.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Weston Sprott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:55PM »

The new article about playing in the trigger range is now posted. Feel free to check it out.

Weston

Fluor,
All of the playing tips will eventually become links. I try to do at least a couple of them every week. There will also be additional articles as well. I'd be happy to write something about playing in the low trigger register as well. Check back in the next week or so and something will be posted in the articles section.

Weston

Weston Sprott
monty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:01PM »

The new article about playing in the trigger range is now posted. Feel free to check it out.

Weston

Great info Weston!  As a follow up to this article, I'd love to hear your thoughts on hitting individual trigger notes (ie. when they're not connected to other notes as part of a phase).  I can usually play them when I have a whole phase descending into, or completely within, the trigger range, but when I have to pop out single trigger notes - especially at volume - I find I often just get air ... phfffft.

Keep up the great work!

Peter.

----------------------
2nd Trombone, Peterborough Symphony Orchestra
Bass Trombone, Ron Marenger Big Band
----------------------
Weston Sprott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:18AM »

Monty,
I think getting these things to pop out immediately and separately is really just a matter of having an air stream that responds IMMEDIATELY after the seal of the tongue is broken. If the air is right behind the tongue and moving at a high rate of speed, the note should speak immediately and fully. Jay Friedman has written extensively about getting notes to respond immediately. I would check out some of his articles on jayfriedman.net. He explains it about as well as anyone can. I get into this topic a little bit under my playing tip "tongued air start". Try that exercise. I think you might like it.

Weston

Great info Weston!  As a follow up to this article, I'd love to hear your thoughts on hitting individual trigger notes (ie. when they're not connected to other notes as part of a phase).  I can usually play them when I have a whole phase descending into, or completely within, the trigger range, but when I have to pop out single trigger notes - especially at volume - I find I often just get air ... phfffft.

Keep up the great work!

Peter.

Weston Sprott
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:45AM »

This looks great Weston. I like that your playing tips are brief but thorough, and very well worded for clarity. Bravo!

Also, I love the Ed Kleinhammer exercise...I think a lot of people don't realize that the key to the legendary sound of the Chicago Symphony brass - a tradition that is in fabulous hands today - is in soft playing even more than it is in loud dynamics. And in clarity of articulation even more than sustain.

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2011, 11:03AM »

I am pleased to see this topic get a 'sticky'. Great that you have put in the time and effort to help others, Weston... and I remember you being a good contributor here way back before you won your job. Thanks.  Good! Good!

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
datguy
Alright on one side, all left on the other

"Curiously Intriguing"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2011, 12:01PM »

Very good resource that I will refer back to regularly. Thanks!
I now have a new bookmarked website Good!

...make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!
monty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2011, 03:06PM »

Monty,
I think getting these things to pop out immediately and separately is really just a matter of having an air stream that responds IMMEDIATELY after the seal of the tongue is broken. If the air is right behind the tongue and moving at a high rate of speed, the note should speak immediately and fully. Jay Friedman has written extensively about getting notes to respond immediately. I would check out some of his articles on jayfriedman.net. He explains it about as well as anyone can. I get into this topic a little bit under my playing tip "tongued air start". Try that exercise. I think you might like it.

Weston
Thanks Weston,
I'll check that excercise out!  Still lots of stuff I haven't had a chance to look at on your site.  It's an excellent resource!

Monty.

----------------------
2nd Trombone, Peterborough Symphony Orchestra
Bass Trombone, Ron Marenger Big Band
----------------------
Weston Sprott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2011, 09:49PM »

For those who are interested, the playing tips section of my website has been updated considerably over the last few weeks. Check it out, and as always, feel free to provide comments or suggestions on things about the site that could be improved or subjects you would like to hear about.

Weston Sprott
www.westonsprott.com

Weston Sprott
baileyman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2011, 09:18AM »

Hey, I really like you vocal-ish style!
silvabone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2011, 06:38AM »

Thank you so much! Your website is without a doubt an excellent source for us. Very good material and information.

dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2011, 04:02AM »

israe   butler speaks  highly of  you  --your website is  delightfully  simple  plus the soundtrack is  soothing 
---------------
  early anderson --oh  it would be great to  see you share some  thoughts with  early
-------------

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Sn4zzle

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:57PM »

This is a great website man. I am truly loving it, especially the trombone playing upon entering.  Evil
ottisthetrombonist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 24, 2012, 06:22PM »

What a great website! Thank you for sharing! Really a great resource that can help players improve. Great work!

NYC
jim2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2012, 06:51PM »

I just want to say you're an awesome trombone player. I hope that one day I could play at your level.
Euphoni

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Apr 13, 2015, 12:34PM »

For those who may be interested... I recently launched a new design of my website. I am regularly updating the playing tips section with in depth details about how to improve your playing. So, for you younger guys who are scouring the internet for information, here's one more place to look. I hope some of these tips can be helpful. If you would like me to write about something in particular in the playing tips section or have thoughts for a new article, feel free to send me an email through the site and perhaps we will make something of it. All the best!

Weston Sprott

Great website! Lots of good information... I've visited a few times lately and learned a few things.  Would enjoy more solo clips if you had them.  Thanks.

Will Hess
Freelance Trombonist - New Orleans
-----------
http://euphon1.wix.com/willhess
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: