Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

956856 Posts in 63156 Topics- by 15438 Members - Latest Member: TrombonePatrick
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakFound on the 'Net(Moderators: RedHotMama, BFW) Williams / Minick Bass Trombone on eBay
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Williams / Minick Bass Trombone on eBay  (Read 2698 times)
trombaribone

"KH anyone?"

View Profile
« on: Jul 08, 2011, 06:31PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Earl-Williams-Model-10-Bass-Trombone-Minick-Dbl-Rotor-/250851493094?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item3a67ea04e6#ht_500wt_1068

I've been looking for a new stacked setup, but for this price, I wouldn't want to see so much red in the raw brass.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011, 08:30AM by Thomas Matta » Logged
prototypedenNIS
Shameless

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2011, 09:20PM »

Raw brass bells are great, raw brass tubes...
nah... wouldn't touch it either.

denNIS
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2011, 10:31PM »

As I mentioned over on the ongoing Williams thread - electrician's tape makes me nervous. I've had some bad experiences buying horns that I couldn't see all of.

That said, the horn in question is associated with two legendary figures in trombone-building. $2,000 for a Williams 10 modded by Minick? If I didn't have other commitments, I'd be seriously considering catching a plane up to San Jose just to look it over. Too bad the seller didn't list it sooner - I drove through the area just a couple weeks ago.

Like the chicken says:
"You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
Blowero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2011, 12:26AM »

I've been looking for a new stacked setup, but for this price, I wouldn't want to see so much red in the raw brass.

Why?

trombaribone

"KH anyone?"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2011, 07:16AM »

As I mentioned over on the ongoing Williams thread - electrician's tape makes me nervous. I've had some bad experiences buying horns that I couldn't see all of.

That said, the horn in question is associated with two legendary figures in trombone-building. $2,000 for a Williams 10 modded by Minick? If I didn't have other commitments, I'd be seriously considering catching a plane up to San Jose just to look it over. Too bad the seller didn't list it sooner - I drove through the area just a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure it plays well, but I would want to do some restoration and at that price, I wouldn't be able to.
trombaribone

"KH anyone?"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2011, 07:21AM »

"Item is sold as is.  Seller will not consider returns.  Thank you."

Also, I'd have to see the inner slide and know what's under the tape (or neck guard) before throwing down on this one. They might be fine, but it's a little concerning that there isn't a picture of the inner slide already - makes me lose confidence.
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2011, 08:27AM »

If a savvy and patient seller could find the right buyers, just the Williams bell and the Minick valve section could net over $2k.

Playing in the Williams arena is not an activity for those with limited resources. The up-front price is high, and even the newest "original" horns (i.e., the LA and Burbank eras) are decades old and likely to need some work (for one thing, they got played, so it's not just the years, it's the mileage).

Like the chicken says:
jnoxon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2011, 10:14AM »

As I recall there were no markings on the bell. That would tell me it is not a Williams bell. Nothing ever left that shop with out it being stamped Earl Williams Custom Trombones Burbank CA. If it was after Earl passed and Bob built it, the marking on the bell stem will be Earl Williams Trombones, the "Custom Made & Burbank CA" will be on the hand grip. IMHO it is a Minick bell and a Williams slide. The slide serial number puts this as a Burbank era horn around 1968 or early 1969. Earl produced 12 bass bones.  And all are accounted for. 11 horns and one bell from a damaged horn.

If any one would like a picture of the trade mark stamps for the Burbank horns just PM me and I will send pictures to you.

This seems to be a buyer beware situation.

Advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer, and don't like it!
trombaribone

"KH anyone?"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2011, 10:54AM »

I'm guessing that by the re-naming of this post from "Earl Willy" that this is indeed a serious horn. Perhaps all that red might not be so bad hehe :D.
Graham Middleton
Graham Middleton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2011, 07:18AM »

Is there a tuning slide on this horn? 
JohnL
Edge Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2011, 08:13AM »

Earl produced 12 bass bones.  And all are accounted for. 11 horns and one bell from a damaged horn.

The seller says he got the horn from Norm Fleming. John, could it be one of the twelve?
This is the same horn that was discussed back on pages 57 and 58 of the Earl Williams Trombone thread. There's some more pictures, but I'm afraid they don't shed much light on the questions asked here.

Like the chicken says:
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2011, 08:28AM »

Is there a tuning slide on this horn? 

looks like a J tuning slide to me, tape along the bottom (the shaft) of the J - it seems i can make out the brass from the TS sticking out about an 18th inch)

or i could be seeing things...

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
Slod

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 10, 2011, 06:22PM »

It's a J slide. The bell markings might not be exposed due to the tuning slide receiver. The hand slide is a big plus. Congratulations to whoever gets the horn, just make sure to get him to really pack it well. Those old protecs don't do well in transit.
trombaribone

"KH anyone?"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:45PM »

I happened to watch the end of this auction. It was amazing Amazed. The Price was at $2,750. In the last 10 seconds it jumped to $3,729 in one bid. My eyes popped out of my head Amazed. I was contemplating putting in a last minute bit to top the $2,750, and even that was a good ways above my budget.
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2011, 06:30PM »

It could easily have gone for more.

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
University of Rhode Island
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
lingon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2011, 01:32AM »

...In the last 10 seconds it jumped to $3,729 in one bid. My eyes popped out of my head Amazed...
Now that was a good price, for the seller at least. When I ordered the single valve Williams bass back in the 70s the price was about SEK 5400 which corresponds to approx USD 830. It was however never delivered. :cry: :cry: :cry:

John Lingesjo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: