Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080969 Posts in 71555 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Forum Members!  (Read 343586 times)
Stephen Hoffman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2004, 01:08PM »

Quote from: "bickle"
Well, heck, I didn't know that! I'm a trombone expert twice over! Time to go start warping the minds of the next generation!

Uh-oh... dont think that I should have let that slip.

Peace,
Stephen
S. E. Shires :: Griego 4.5 Deco
Feel free to email me :: stephenhoffman@sixthrevolution.com
Valkyrie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2004, 07:28PM »

Off topic, but Look! I'm no longer a new member. I contribute! I am a contributing member of society (nevermind what society)

Oh, Ive never been so proud of myself. And all that time I could be practicing...

"There are no useless people. Someone can always serve as a bad example." -my mother
Stephen Hoffman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2004, 08:25PM »

Quote from: "Valkyrie"
Oh, Ive never been so proud of myself. And all that time I could be practicing...

Pah, practicing, right. Grin

Peace,
Stephen
Labrat
Blending in with the saguaros.

"A Flock of Andrews"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 03, 2004, 08:36PM »

Quote from: "StevesBones"

Yeah, RIGHT.

-> I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. Duke Ellington

I is a student again.

Ratty  Hi
In Hoc Signo Vinces
Adurobone

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 03, 2004, 09:00PM »

Quote from: "labrat"

Yeah, RIGHT.

And all that time you could be working, rat.
 Grin  :-P

Everything is not yet lost
Valkyrie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Apr 03, 2004, 09:22PM »

I figure, all the good stuff I learn here on the forum is just as helpful as that extra hour of practicing would have been. Sometimes, it's all mental.

Still though, I'm being downright lazy when it comes to trombone. I think it has something to do with having spectacularily failed to get into grad school (although I'm still waiting to hear from McGill...) and being a little bummed out.

"There are no useless people. Someone can always serve as a bad example." -my mother
Stephen Hoffman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: Apr 03, 2004, 09:43PM »

I figure, all the good stuff I learn here on the forum is just as helpful as that extra hour of practicing would have been. Sometimes, it's all mental.

Still though, I'm being downright lazy when it comes to trombone. I think it has something to do with having spectacularily failed to get into grad school (although I'm still waiting to hear from McGill...) and being a little bummed out.

That actually is probably true.  I get so little actual practice done in an hour (because of my little brother Mad ) that this is probably more beneficial Grin
(in the short run at least)

Peace,
Stephen
Noakley

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Apr 03, 2004, 10:31PM »

i know this is off topic but i agree with you guy's i am getting alot from these forum and since i dont have a horn i dont feel to bad about using the time i spend here for this instead of practicing but one i get a horn i wont be on here as much  Frown  but i'll have a horn Grin
bickle
Formerly titled by the Walt

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2004, 07:31AM »

I think Noakley's got the best excuse for not practicing I've heard yet.......
Stephen Hoffman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: Apr 04, 2004, 09:25AM »

Quote from: "Noakley"
i know this is off topic but i agree with you guy's i am getting alot from these forum and since i dont have a horn i dont feel to bad about using the time i spend here for this instead of practicing but one i get a horn i wont be on here as much  Frown  but i'll have a horn Grin

Confused Why dont you have a trombone?  Is it in the shop? Confused

Peace,
Stephen
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Apr 04, 2004, 10:08AM »

Er.... guys....

I started this topic for new members to introduce themselves....

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Apr 04, 2004, 10:16AM »

Quote from: "RedHotMama"
Er.... guys....

I started this topic for new members to introduce themselves....

We do seem to jump off on a tangent rather easily at times, don't we?  Grin

Perhaps we should let new folks introduce themselves here, and then have a separate    "Getting to Know You"  Sing it! section immediately following where we can grill 'em with questions and hop off on as many tangents as we want!  Evil  Evil  

Just kidding, that's what Chit-Chat is for, but....could be fun!!

By the way, I think this section is a good idea, RHM!

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
Laci LeBlanc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: Apr 04, 2004, 01:44PM »

haha I'm not new either, but I'll introduce myself anyways. My name is Laci LeBlanc, I live in Spring, TX. I had always been interested in playing a musical instrument since I was little. And finally in 5th grade I got my chance. I had wanted to play the trombone cuz um, cuz I seen it on the movie "Air Bud". When I seen it I was like, "yeh that's the instrument I wanna play". So it just kinda stuck with me for years. Well, my 5th grade year I didn't do so great. I wasn't the worst trombone player, but I wasn't the best. It was hard to tell since we didn't have chair tests. I wasn't good at all, yet I thought I was the best. So then when I went on to 6th grade I moved to Texas (where they start band in 6th grade). So I was a little ahead, but not by much. I didn't want to be stuck in beginner band again, so I tried out for one of the advanced bands. Well I bearily made it out of beginning band. I got last chair last band. But throughout the year I worked myself to the top and got first chair and an outstanding player award.
In 7th grade I was at the bottom again, competeing with several 8th graders. That year I made 6th chair 2nd(Symphonic) band and 6th chair Philharmonic(2nd) orchestra. After a lot of practicing and trouble, I finally made myself to the top again. (Only I was not treated that way Mad )

This year, now that I'm in 8th grade I have always been first chair and I made 4th chair 1st band (Wind Ensemble) and 4th chair Symphony (1st) orchestra. I should have done better though. I really should have been first or second. But as long as you're in the top 5, its really hard to tell whos the best. So now my plans for next year are to make all-state and do decently.  

bassbonechick1 what high school do you go to? I might know what high school that is. plus i'm curious ;-)

The delight we inspire in others, has this enchanting peculiarity. That, unlike any other reflection, returns to us more radiant than ever. (from Les Miserables) - Victor Hugo

Dream Big, tonight, and every night, and every day!!!!
Shortstuff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 04, 2004, 02:03PM »

I'm not bassbonechick1 but I am a chick that plays bass bone. I go to Goddard, HS in Goddard, KS. We've  been down that way for some marching band contests, have you heard of us? Goddard Lions..........?
Nice to meet you!!! Hi
Oh yeah, I'm Shanda Wheeler and a freshmen.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

To err is human, to blame it on someone else shows management potential.
SilverPenguin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: Apr 04, 2004, 09:14PM »

New member here... my name's John, I'm from Youngstown State University where I'm a junior, in a little bit over a week I'll turn 21, and I'm a music performance major on, of all things, the trombone.

I currently play on a Conn 88H-SGX-CL, hence the Silver; my university's mascot is Pete the Penguin, hence the Penguin.  However, the first part of the name probably won't be applicable for too long because I'm hoping to drive down to Massachusetts and purchase one of those custom horn thingies before a long while passes.  ;-)

John G. Shanks  /// www.jgshanks.com

Assistant Professor of Trombone, West Texas A&M University
Principal Trombone, Amarillo Symphony Orchestra
S.E. Shires Performing Artist
Valkyrie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: Apr 05, 2004, 03:15PM »

welcome! and yet another futurama avatar! huzzah!

Noakley

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 05, 2004, 11:12PM »

Confused Why dont you have a trombone?  Is it in the shop? Confused

No Job = No money = no horn = me not happy
tboneman77

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 06, 2004, 12:26PM »

Hi All,
I 've never introduced myself either so here goes.

My name is Matt,  Hi I live in Ramsey, MN (dontcha know) with my wife who's a clarinet player/Beginning Band/Middle School band director.  I've been playing for 16 years now and have a B.A. in Music.  I currently play in a community band and generally practice for my own enjoyment.  I play mostly tenor but bring the alto out every once in awhile.

Matt
drahthaar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 07, 2004, 04:53PM »

Hi everyone.  I am also a new OTJ Forum member (joined af few months ago).  My name is Ken.  Unlike Laci who is in the 8th grade and who is already playing first chair, I am long since graduated from a PhD program, 55 years old, and I play only from my chair at home.  This is quite a diverse group that meets to discuss musical matters on the Forum which makes the discussion interesting and dynamic.  Besides the trombone I have other bad habits including woodworking and upland game hunting.  My two hunting dogs lay beside my chair when I play, and the young male often sings along for a duet.  I would characterize his style as jazzy, mostly legato, with some stacatto high pitches.  Definitly his own unique style.  Anyway, I am pleased to meet you all, and to learn of your intersting thoughts about music.  Looking forward to getting to know you better.  Ken
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 07, 2004, 05:38PM »

I'm Scott, originally from Peoria, IL...I was a professional musician for  15 years, orchestral, jazz, dance, combos, even country western...you name it , I did it to pay the bills...I burned myself out on a cruise ship at 29, met a girl, got married and sold the horns because we needed the money...15 years later, on a dare, I rented a horn just to see what would happen...3 days later I sounded like something, I got my range back after a week, and endurance back after 2 weeks... To make a long story short, in two weeks I'm quitting my day job and will marketing myself in the area for jazz & society gigs...I don't deserve to be so happy!...I'm not the best & I'm not the worst, but I know the business & I've been assured by 'old pros' in this area that I can make it...We'll see...Wish me luck...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58   Go Up
Print
Jump to: