Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

945138 Posts in 62380 Topics- by 15055 Members - Latest Member: Mycroft221B
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) The worst president and Congress ever
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The worst president and Congress ever  (Read 33963 times)
Russ White

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:20AM »

And he still wants the implementation of a rational tax system. We'll see if the success of not including any criminal immunity in this settlement Goes anywhere. Like most of the settlements in these type of cases, the damages awarded are a small % of the money stolen out of the system by the transgressors. We need to see some executives from these theiving companies frog marched to prison. That is the only way this kind of crap will ever end.

Better than yesterday, better yet tomorrow.
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: Feb 11, 2012, 07:18AM »

Pretty weak tea, there. Are you suggesting that WB made the investment in anticipation of the settlement, or that it was done as a political payoff? Where's the evidence? He made the investment six months ago. Investors are allowed to guess as to the outcomes of these decisions and invest accordingly, unless it's based on inside information.

Or are you suggesting that the settlement was unreasonable, and that the gov't should have gone for more money in regulatory fines?

You accused me of 'trashing investors' in another thread, which I didn't do, but you're doing precisely that, and on pure innuendo. Maybe you hate capitalism. Shame on Warren Buffet for guessing correctly and making money!

Actually, I found it on a web site lamenting his involvement, but I realize that he has invested in so many places, it would be impossible to find anything that he wouldn't ultimately make a profit from.

I enjoyed it as a joke, and enjoy you guys supporting his capitalist efforts also as a joke. :)

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
badger

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:13AM »

Dusty,
Mr. Buffett benefited from the Keystone decision too:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-23/buffett-s-burlington-northern-among-winners-in-obama-rejection-of-pipeline.html
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:20AM »

You're right, he did/does. Like I say, for a guy like Warren, it would be hard to find a place where he doesn't have money in it. But what's really funny, is that Warren is a Good Robot not a Bad Robot.

Now, it doesn't take a mental giant to figure out why he is perceived as a Good Robot instead of a Bad Robot. :)

Energy City Big Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:22AM »

Pretty weak tea, there. Are you suggesting that WB made the investment in anticipation of the settlement, or that it was done as a political payoff? Where's the evidence? He made the investment six months ago. Investors are allowed to guess as to the outcomes of these decisions and invest accordingly, unless it's based on inside information.

Or are you suggesting that the settlement was unreasonable, and that the gov't should have gone for more money in regulatory fines?

You accused me of 'trashing investors' in another thread, which I didn't do, but you're doing precisely that, and on pure innuendo. Maybe you hate capitalism. Shame on Warren Buffett for guessing correctly and making money!

The actual problem isn't about facts and information and analysis, it's one of intellectual integrity and responsibility.

You have it in good supply, DD doesn't.

And everyone wants to dance around this source of these issues and deal only with the symptoms, incessantly, as if that's accomplishing anything but perpetually exposing the actual problem which no one is willing to deal with.

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:34AM »

The actual problem isn't about facts and information and analysis, it's one of intellectual integrity and responsibility.

You have it in good supply, DD doesn't.

And everyone wants to dance around this source of these issues and deal only with the symptoms, incessantly, as if that's accomplishing anything but perpetually exposing the actual problem which no one is willing to deal with.
funny! No one cares what you think about other posters here.  Have you not figured that out.  Wow!

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: Feb 11, 2012, 09:54AM »

funny! No one cares what you think about other posters here.  Have you not figured that out.  Wow!

[Moderator hat on]

Hey!  Enough of the personal attacks!

[Moderator hat off]

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: Feb 11, 2012, 10:20AM »

[Moderator hat on]

[Moderator hat off]
Isn't every post he posts a personal attack?   :/

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:24PM »

[Moderator hat on]

[Moderator hat off]

Do you mean the personal attacks in the form of the incessant advocacy of imposing political policy upon others that's based upon blatant, consistent intellectual negligence/laziness (the failure to take honesty seriously or to be a decent neighbor/citizen), or calling that what is is thus "failing" to pretend it's perfectly ethical as our dysfunctional social climate would dictate, and which is precisely what such ideologues have exploited so effectively over the last three decades to get us to this self-destructive point?

Your admonition immediately followed examples of both the actual offense, and of calling it what it is. It's unclear which you're on about here because calling the actual offense what it is is often misguidedly perceived as the actual offense (I don't think you'd do that, though you might mistake them both as inappropriate). It's probably a common error because it exposes the actual offense, and that's unpleasant--apparently what people are trying to avoid, which allows it to go unaddressed and develop into the problem it's become, so avoiding the issue, strangely enough, is precisely what enables it and ensures it remains an issue to such a problematic degree that its effects are prominent and it can't really be ignored.

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:25PM »

Isn't every post he posts a personal attack?   :/

Probably to an ideologue, anyway.

BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:30PM »

Do you mean the personal attacks in the form of the incessant advocacy of imposing political policy upon others that's based upon blatant, consistent intellectual negligence/laziness (the failure to take honesty seriously or to be a decent neighbor/citizen), or calling that what is is thus "failing" to pretend it's perfectly ethical as our dysfunctional social climate would dictate, and which is precisely what such ideologues have exploited so effectively over the last three decades to get us to this self-destructive point?

Your admonition immediately followed examples of both the actual offense, and of calling it what it is. It's unclear which you're on about here because calling the actual offense what it is is often misguidedly perceived as the actual offense (I don't think you'd do that, though you might mistake them both as inappropriate). It's probably a common error because it exposes the actual offense, and that's unpleasant--apparently what people are trying to avoid, which allows it to go unaddressed and develop into the problem it's become, so avoiding the issue, strangely enough, is precisely what enables it and ensures it remains an issue to such a problematic degree that its effects are prominent and it can't really be ignored.

Easy, Chief.  I'm only asking that you back off a little.  The ToU specifically asks to deal with the ideas, not the presenter.

Note that I haven't done anything more than issue a warning.  Please take it as such.

Bruce Guttman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: Feb 11, 2012, 12:48PM »

Easy, Chief.
?

Okay ...

Don't know

I'm only asking that you back off a little.  The ToU specifically asks to deal with the ideas, not the presenter.
Exactly, but when a behavior is the issue we don't tend to deal with it very well, and this is the real problem I keep trying to point out. Our unwillingness to address the real problem when it's not PC is complicit in creating and perpetuating the problem. That is the idea here.

Note that I haven't done anything more than issue a warning.  Please take it as such.
I did. I also pointed out reality's not so clear and easy and convenient. We seem to get that in most cases, but we're unwilling to get it so well when it's socially unpleasant--when the issue is the violation of that tacit social contract (it's kinda the same blindness we have regarding real violence, only to a lesser degree). The pragmatism that things like military and public safety training impose upon us cut right through that fog, but in those cases part of that training requires that the old training (socialization) be stripped off first ... so we end up with most of us never having that experience, and thus we allow the abuse of the tacit "social contract" because it's at odds with our only ingrained social propriety training (socialization).

That's all--the problem is that the actual offensive attacks are deceptive, usually masked and obscured by the benefit of the doubt, but the defensive attacks on the toxic pattern this fosters are direct (at least mine generally are). This is how our sense of propriety is used as a weapon against us by the less ethical--or rather those who are easily manipulated and used by the less ethical (who have a lot to gain by maintaining and pressing the status quo).

Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: Feb 12, 2012, 10:28AM »

Actually, I found it on a web site lamenting his involvement, but I realize that he has invested in so many places, it would be impossible to find anything that he wouldn't ultimately make a profit from.

I enjoyed it as a joke, and enjoy you guys supporting his capitalist efforts also as a joke. :)

Again, what with the 'you guys'? There may be people here who are anti-capitalist, but I'm surely not one of them.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: Feb 12, 2012, 11:33AM »

Again, what with the 'you guys'? There may be people here who are anti-capitalist, but I'm surely not one of them.
Then let the anti-capitalists respond. :)

Energy City Big Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:29PM »

Then let the anti-capitalists respond. :)

Capitalism isn't inherently bad.  It's selfish capitalism  that can create problems.  Selfish capitalism means you move all your manufacturing to a 3rd world country to take advantage of cheap labor and then wonder why you can't sell your goods in the US because nobody can buy them -- they have no more income.

I was always taught that part of the purpose of being a business was to remain in business.  That seems to not be the case nowadays.  It seems that companies want to exist to be bought out by larger businesses resulting in large gains for the few at the top and then you ignore the folks at the bottom.  Why do you want a pension?  We're no longer in business.

Bruce Guttman
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:32PM »

Capitalism isn't inherently bad. 

That's right. It's the people. No matter the system, it's the people that make things bad.

Energy City Big Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: Feb 12, 2012, 01:39PM »

Capitalism isn't inherently bad.  It's selfish capitalism  that can create problems.  Selfish capitalism means you move all your manufacturing to a 3rd world country to take advantage of cheap labor and then wonder why you can't sell your goods in the US because nobody can buy them -- they have no more income.

That's one of the more negative effects, but the root cause is ideology detached from reality--presuming how things should be (often for purely dogmatic reasons) without much consideration as to how things really are--weighing one's personal sentiments above reality.

sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:06PM »

you know, some of the time some conservatives are correct, especially George F. Will,

consider what he wrote regarding the GOP claims that the President is/has or will put the Country in danger:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/republicans-need-more-than-rhetoric-on-defense/2012/02/07/gIQA5SF1zQ_story.html

. . . Romney says: “It is unacceptable for Iran to have a nuclear weapon,” that if he is elected, Iran will not get such a weapon, and if Obama is reelected, it will. He also says that Obama “has made it very clear that he’s not willing to do those things necessary to get Iran to be dissuaded from” its nuclear ambitions.” Romney may, however, be premature in assuming the futility of new sanctions the Obama administration is orchestrating, and Panetta says Iran acquiring nuclear weapons is “unacceptable” and “a red line for us” and if “we get intelligence that they are proceeding with developing a nuclear weapon, then we will take whatever steps necessary to stop it.” What, then, is the difference between Romney and Obama regarding Iran?

Osama bin Laden and many other “high-value targets” are dead, the drone war is being waged more vigorously than ever, and Guantanamo is still open, so Republicans can hardly say that Obama has implemented dramatic and dangerous discontinuities regarding counterterrorism. Obama says that, even with his proposed cuts, the defense budget would increase at about the rate of inflation through the next decade. Republicans who think America is being endangered by “appeasement” and military parsimony have worked that pedal on their organ quite enough.

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:07PM »

Nice huh?  At least he's honest;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/12/samuel-l-jackson-obama-vote-black_n_1271797.html

Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:42PM »

How remarkable.  How come you didn't post all the articles about people who voted for McCain just because he was White?  Or who voted for McCain because Obama was black?

This has to be one of the stupider posts I've had to endure. >:(

Bruce Guttman
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: