Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080256 Posts in 71488 Topics- by 19053 Members - Latest Member: Bigiorno
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) Would you buy an instrument without seeing it??
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you buy an instrument without seeing it??  (Read 59131 times)
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:06AM »

ALL of my horns to date have been bought sight-unseen. The ones I didn't like got re-sold. As long as I don't pay too much for them in the first place, so what?

But something I have learned - at least from buying off eBay - is if no one else with a credible buying history is bidding on it, then whether it's over-priced or not; whether it's a good horn or not, there evidently isn't a good resale value for that horn, so I won't bid on it either. I like buying horns where there is a good amount of incremental bidding activity and other auctions of similar horns in similar condition have shown the current bidding is a good comp.

...Geezer

deanmccarty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:01AM »

If you frequent the forum enough you grow to "know" certain people.  I have purchased several horns off the forum, and have sold a few.  My best purchase... sight unseen... a Rath R3 in MINT condition!  It is my favorite horn that I own... and I got it for $1500!!! I am a believer in the forum classifieds!

Dean McCarty <><
freelance trombonist, Houston area
2 Corinthians 13:14
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:24PM »

This is why people like to deal with stores like Dillon Music, Ferguson Music, Baltimore Brass, the Brass Ark, etc, as well as private individuals like DJ Kennedy, Quinn the Eskimo, and so forth. They have a good reputation, and if they say it's a good horn, you can expect to receive a good horn. You also will get some good reviews on new horns from Ferguson Music, which is always a plus.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
robinsjanis

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Dec 07, 2016, 02:07AM »

Guys in Latvia risk and buy all of the horns unseen. And that was worth the risk! They sound awesome!

Rath R400 - Schilke Symphony M5.1
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:28PM »

dillon's  pics are nothin to brag about   :-0 :-0 :-0 Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. :-P :-P :-P Pant Pant Pant

This is why people like to deal with stores like Dillon Music, Ferguson Music, Baltimore Brass, the Brass Ark, etc, as well as private individuals like DJ Kennedy, Quinn the Eskimo, and so forth. They have a good reputation, and if they say it's a good horn, you can expect to receive a good horn. You also will get some good reviews on new horns from Ferguson Music, which is always a plus.

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Dec 09, 2016, 06:21AM »

dillon's  pics are nothin to brag about   :-0 :-0 :-0 Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. :-P :-P :-P Pant Pant Pant
Agreed.  Click on "View larger image" and you often get a smaller image.  At the best of times their largest images are useless for making a buying decision.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
stealthheartocarinaZ
Gaming Musician of Time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: Dec 14, 2016, 04:24PM »

So your story has a happy ending!!!!   Good!

Haha yes, you are right about that! I like the trombone much better than the sax, and I'm glad I ended up with it in the end.  :D
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2016, 02:35PM by stealthheartocarinaZ » Logged

I don't play flute
Proud Ocarinist and Tromboner
*learn the difference, guys*
LongmodelF

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:52AM »

Wow, I started this thread in 2011. Never expected it to be still running at the end of 2016!
2olbones

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Jan 26, 2017, 01:41PM »

I have purchased 4 horns from Mick Rath, an R-10 during a visit to his shop, an unseen R3F from a dealer in Calgary, an unseen R4 from a dealer in Boston MA, and an R9D from Dillon music in New Jersey.  I still have them all and use them when appropriate, but favor my bass trombone now.  I would continue to risk a Rath purchase but only from Mick or from Dillon's.

Dave (aka Sam) Tribble
BazPozaunz

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Mar 25, 2017, 11:08AM »

Only once and only because of the rarity of the instrument did I make a deal for something I could not try out first. Each and every other instrument I have ever purchased has been after extensive play testing and visual inspection, even with brand spankin' new horns. Not everything I've played suited me so in my case it pays off in the long run to be picky. Plus, the only horn I got sight unseen was a trade so when the trade took place in my home, we both had an opportunity to back out of the trade. A couple of months ago I found an instrument on Craigslist that had photos which told part of the story. When I met the seller to complete the sale I still had a chance to look it over. If it had been a case of the seller being out of state and shipping to me, I would not have bothered.

Bottom line is I would not under normal circumstances buy without seeing. The exception would be from musicians I know personally or by reputation that are as picky as I am. Still no guarantee.
If Gerry Pagano was selling a horn I'd probably bite because he and I have similar likes and dislikes in setups. The possibility always remains that I might not love it, but I'd take a chance in that case because the odds of my liking it are very high.

PS-The most recent horn I purchased was well documented with photos (it was clear across country) and the seller I have known for years. There was the element of how rare it was so that was a factor, and I am a very happy camper as a result.

"If the gig requires a flip-folder, count me out."
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Mar 25, 2017, 11:15AM »

I just bought a new (to me) trombone form some photos and a description and it has turned out to have been a deal I'm really happy with.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
gregs70

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Mar 25, 2017, 02:34PM »

Bought a 3B-F off eBay a few years ago for a really good price.  Seller had 0 feedback so it was a gamble.  He did his best describing the horn and sent extra pictures I asked for. Very few bids, and so I got a great horn for a great price.  $50 at the local music store for minor slide adjustments is all it needed.

I'm not a total idiot - there are still a few pieces missing!

King 3B-F, King 4B-F, Holton TR-180
Carl Enger

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Apr 27, 2017, 11:05PM »

Yeah, I agree. ALWAYS demo the instrument before you buy it. If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.
vegasbound
There are 2 types of trombone player....Urbie & everyone else!

"Get your tee shirt from http://www.derekwatkins.co"

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Apr 28, 2017, 12:55AM »

Yeah, I agree. ALWAYS demo the instrument before you buy it. If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

Then you have not bought a horn from DJ!

'There will never come a day when I don't need to practice'- JJ Johnson
Blackthorne

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2017, 12:13PM »

You can add me to the "bought a trombone from DJ sight unseen" group.  Just bought an Olds Super from him.  I'm honestly more excited to see what I'll be getting than I would be if I'd seen it ahead of time. 

Getzen 3047AFR / Griego Deco 5M/Bach 4G Megatone / Protec IPAC
King 607F (silver) / Bach 6.5AL Megatone / Protec MAX
King Cleveland 606 / Besson 7C / King coffin case
Olds Super / Schilke 42B / SKB small tenor case
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: