Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1097252 Posts in 72498 Topics- by 19558 Members - Latest Member: Shinbone021401
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Double tongueing  (Read 2378 times)
« on: Apr 03, 2004, 03:30PM »

I am wondering how to double tongue. Because next year i know for a fact that for region you have to double tongue. Ive heard something about te ta, instead of ta ta[i think thats how you spell it]. any tips or anything would help lots and stuff[/quote]
David Gross

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2004, 05:35PM »

It's "ta-ka" or "te-ke". The second stroke is with the back of the tongue. To do it you sort of rock your tongue back and forth between the "t" syllable and the "k" syllable.

Arban's has plenty of double tonguing exercises. It wouldn't hurt to have a teacher show you how it's done.

Dave

Money talks. Mine says "Bye bye!"
wasabcl11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2004, 06:49PM »

Quote from: "David Gross"
It's "ta-ka" or "te-ke". The second stroke is with the back of the tongue. To do it you sort of rock your tongue back and forth between the "t" syllable and the "k" syllable.

Arban's has plenty of double tonguing exercises. It wouldn't hurt to have a teacher show you how it's done.

Yeah I agree. I've practiced the exercises in Arban's and my double tounging has improved a lot. The problem with me at first was that the tounging was not clean and perhaps too staccato. If you have this problem too, make sure that you do not constrict the airflow from your stomach and lungs. In other words, blow as you normally do, just alter the actions of the tounge. Also, make sure you put your tounge in the place that sounds the best for you. If you do not touch the teeth enough on the TAH syllable, it will sound too mushy. And if you press the tounge too hard or high on the teeth, the sound will be choppy. Find a happy medium. Lastly, when you practice double tounging, don't just jump into the TAH-KAH syllable right away. You will find learning this skill much easier if you first practice tounging eighth notes with just TAH and then just KAH.  Good!

Yup.
drwoodblock

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2004, 10:09PM »

also, i found that many times the traditional TAH-KAH sounds make for a funny double tounge...i usually think of (and hear teachers telling others) to use a too-koo (or tu-ku as Arbans says) sound, i gets the tounge a little more forward (if that makes sense) and gets a cleaner sound imo.
prototypedenNIS
Shameless

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2004, 10:45PM »

don't worry to double tongue well all you have to do is work on it for two hours a day for the rest of your life.

Try to smile about it too.

denNIS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: