Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

956682 Posts in 63170 Topics- by 15427 Members - Latest Member: Southpaw
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: greg waits, tbone62) Best trombone to buy for college?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best trombone to buy for college?  (Read 5102 times)
Bassbone4life

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:48PM »

I saw this on ebay and was wondering if this looks like a solid deal? any thoughts?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-112H-Double-Rotor-Bass-Trombone-used-/190590988890?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item2c601bb25a#ht_500wt_1287
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2011, 12:56PM »

The 112H is a competent instrument.  You might want to see if DJ Kennedy can find you one for less; the buy-it-now price seems a little high to me.

Look at the Benge 290 and King 7B for comparable instruments.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Bassbone4life

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:04PM »

Will do. Are all of the B trb's on ebay for $450-$1500 a bunch of POS's not even worth looking at? they have a thayer valve bass for 1800 but its not a brand name so I don't know what to think. Take a look...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trombone-Bass-new-Thayer-valves-/270841087204?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item3f0f6304e4#ht_500wt_1054
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:10PM »

I might pay $1100 for that horn, and only if I had a chance to try it for at least a week first. $1900 is out of the question, it's Chinese (although the copy of the Getzen case is an amusing touch) and Axial-Flow valves in particular are built to very specific tolerances in order to work.

Some of the newer Chinese horns are reputedly ok instruments... however, you'll notice that, for example, Tromboneshawaii, who is a purveyor of a "High-end" brand of Chinese horns, chose to move from his Chinese-made (German Engineeered!!) Rheinsound instrument with independent Thayer-style valve to a US Made Kanstul with CR valves.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:12PM »

speaking of a Benge 290 on Ebay,

I have no knowledge of the seller, the trombone in question and no impression as to whether it is a good buy or not.

I have no interest in the sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benge-Model-290-Bass-Trombone-Independent-Double-Rotor-Trigger-Professional-/130592747104?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item1e67ef2e60

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
Bassbone4life

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:32PM »

speaking of a Benge 290 on Ebay,

I have no knowledge of the seller, the trombone in question and no impression as to whether it is a good buy or not.

I have no interest in the sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benge-Model-290-Bass-Trombone-Independent-Double-Rotor-Trigger-Professional-/130592747104?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item1e67ef2e60
Looks like a solid horn for what I'm looking for. The reviews I've read all say its a great horn for college level playing. Plus as I already stated, I WILL most likely buy a more high-end professional horn while I'm in college anyways.
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:37PM »

if you get it, please let us know what you think of it.

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:40PM »

Looks like a solid horn for what I'm looking for. The reviews I've read all say its a great horn for college level playing. Plus as I already stated, I WILL most likely buy a more high-end professional horn while I'm in college anyways.

Don't be so sure of that. The life of a college student, perhaps especially a music major (well, perhaps less for a music major since you may be able to make some money doing gigs while in college), is a life of Ramen Noodles and cutting corners to make ends meet.

The Benge is a high quality horn (as is the Conn, as is the Getzen) that will suit you admirably through your college years and beyond... but making a plan of "Well, I'll sell this and buy something 'better' in 3 years" is a plan doomed to failure.

"Progress is just another word for making bad things happen faster" - Granny Weatherwax
Bassbone4life

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2011, 01:44PM »

making a plan of "Well, I'll sell this and buy something 'better' in 3 years" is a plan doomed to failure.
I wasn't really planning on selling it. But if the horn is, as you say, a high quality horn, then maybe I won't want to buy another one while I'm in college. Only time will tell...
Bob Kolada

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2011, 02:45PM »

All 3 of the Getzen basses are great. I don't spend a lot of time on Thayer basses at conventions simply because they stick about 3 inches into my neck. :D

I have a 1062 and have played it everywhere over the years- orchestra, band, big band, combo, rock band, avant garde, brass band, trombone choir on the low parts (my pre-contra era), brass quintet on the low part,... It simply rocks. They seem to play a bit darker/broader/whatever than the 1052's but both are equally valid horns. I used to go from brass choir parts with a contra mp (worked fantastically) to big band in the next room with a shallow mp (worked equally fantastically, just had to pull that main slide an inch).

They do play a bit sharp but that's not an issue. The bigger one is that with my horn tuned to Bb and the F valve tuned to F the D valve is flat. Also, they have Edwards proportions so 7th position is kinda dicey. This can be a bit of an issue on the dependent 1062 where you would be playing 6 and 7 more for smoother slide movement when playing 5th position stuff.

Mine is for sale, again (after a local guy decided to try it for 9 days...). It is absolutely my favorite instrument that I own. I just cannot play big trombones anymore as they are destroying my left elbow. I am getting a valved Eb built up to cover my low trombone needs. My Ergobone should be back soon after being out on a long term loan. I'll try it again but I really, really like to bounce around when I play. :D
Jeff Smith

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Oct 26, 2011, 02:50PM »

Don't be so sure of that. The life of a college student, perhaps especially a music major (well, perhaps less for a music major since you may be able to make some money doing gigs while in college), is a life of Ramen Noodles and cutting corners to make ends meet.

The Benge is a high quality horn (as is the Conn, as is the Getzen) that will suit you admirably through your college years and beyond... but making a plan of "Well, I'll sell this and buy something 'better' in 3 years" is a plan doomed to failure.

Everyone is different, John.

(customized) Getzen 3062AF - Greg Black 1.5GM
(customized) Getzen 1062FD - Greg Black 1.5G
The Hartt School - BM in Performance (2012)
Montclair State University - Performer's Certificate (2013)
Rutgers University - Artist Diploma (2016)
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Oct 26, 2011, 02:56PM »

Will do. Are all of the B trb's on ebay for $450-$1500 a bunch of POS's not even worth looking at? they have a thayer valve bass for 1800 but its not a brand name so I don't know what to think. Take a look...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trombone-Bass-new-Thayer-valves-/270841087204?pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item3f0f6304e4#ht_500wt_1054

I recently bought a Holton 183 that turned out to be mostly 185 spec on ebay for $495. I will try it in my professional orchestra tomorrow. It can be done... cheap top quality horns still appear but less often. I would steer clear of the Benge for a college horn.... a bit small and light for you, though it can be good for the weekend warrior. Old Bachs are often good value, though they may need tweaking.
Avoid no-name horns at all costs.

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do.LB 116 M,M8
Bassbone4life

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:13PM »

Thanks for the tip. My main concern, as is everyone's I'm sure, is money. It comes down to money. The Getzen is the best and cheapest horn of that quality. I play it in symphony orchestra, wind ensemble and big band; the horn is a true testament to getzen quality bass trombones. I gather from what everyone is saying, just stick with the getzen and then invest in future bass trombones later.
HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Oct 26, 2011, 05:01PM »

Mr. Stern,
When are you going to sell some of those great Holtons to us poor non Holton owners :-P

Why am I not practicing?????
blast

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Oct 26, 2011, 11:59PM »

Mr. Stern,
When are you going to sell some of those great Holtons to us poor non Holton owners :-P

One of my students is trying the 181/281 today... with a view to buying.... something has to go !

Chris Stearn

HouBassTrombone

"Just play because you love to."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Oct 27, 2011, 12:11AM »

281? I started on a 181 (LOVED IT) and have played a 183 that I loved. My college had a old beat up 180 with the glanz bar and it had such a unique great sound. One day when I get the money I am going to beg you for one of your vetted Holton basses :-P

Why am I not practicing?????
blast

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Oct 27, 2011, 12:33AM »

281? I started on a 181 (LOVED IT) and have played a 183 that I loved. My college had a old beat up 180 with the glanz bar and it had such a unique great sound. One day when I get the money I am going to beg you for one of your vetted Holton basses :-P

The 281 is a screw bell version of the 181. I did the bell swap on my 181, so now it is a 281 I suppose.

Chris Stearn

dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Oct 27, 2011, 05:10AM »

hope elbow  doesnt  get worse   -i dislocated left shoulder  making holding up any bone  painful--duo gravis  sonic--6 pounds !!!!!!!!!!!
---------
i had a  1052   lively  and bright  -- went to navy bandsman ----beautiful 290-- inspired student in arkansas  -put in hal janks leadpipe from brasslab  -improved  it
    holton 181s   --when they can be found//b98  -bachlike  and  college player loves it in spite of  bad reviews//just shipped  a  62hi  yesterday
meanwhile  single  bass --are  fantastic    only after  players get  big heavy doubles    -so it seems
   traded a  slick 72  and its  being well played in indianapolis  by a friend studying w dee stewart --loves this  horn  !!!!!! so easy to play
-------
prices  -current demand is  pushing up  prices esp  on indiies   //dependents   -not as much in demand //singles //slow
------------
so 16  for the 112   might be a bit high[about 3-400]  -but for this particular example  --condition is a factor
---------
stocking  bass bones  ties up working capital --ask newall sheridan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All 3 of the Getzen basses are great. I don't spend a lot of time on Thayer basses at conventions simply because they stick about 3 inches into my neck. :D

I have a 1062 and have played it everywhere over the years- orchestra, band, big band, combo, rock band, avant garde, brass band, trombone choir on the low parts (my pre-contra era), brass quintet on the low part,... It simply rocks. They seem to play a bit darker/broader/whatever than the 1052's but both are equally valid horns. I used to go from brass choir parts with a contra mp (worked fantastically) to big band in the next room with a shallow mp (worked equally fantastically, just had to pull that main slide an inch).

They do play a bit sharp but that's not an issue. The bigger one is that with my horn tuned to Bb and the F valve tuned to F the D valve is flat. Also, they have Edwards proportions so 7th position is kinda dicey. This can be a bit of an issue on the dependent 1062 where you would be playing 6 and 7 more for smoother slide movement when playing 5th position stuff.

Mine is for sale, again (after a local guy decided to try it for 9 days...). It is absolutely my favorite instrument that I own. I just cannot play big trombones anymore as they are destroying my left elbow. I am getting a valved Eb built up to cover my low trombone needs. My Ergobone should be back soon after being out on a long term loan. I'll try it again but I really, really like to bounce around when I play. :D

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
John Beers Jr.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Oct 27, 2011, 06:08PM »

Here's one more suggestion that I recently remembered, though more suited to those that prefer dependent rotors. Jupiter has a model, that they don't advertise too terribly much (It's not on their XO website) with dependent rotors. I tried one out for quite some time at Dillon Music (On Davin's suggestion) about a year ago and found it to be a well made, very nicely playing bass trombone:
http://www.wwbw.com/Jupiter-1242-XO-Series-Bass-Trombone-585112-i1517208.wwbw?source=TWFRWXX&CAWELAID=494427575

I also liked their Thayer-equipped bass trombone model, shown here http://www.wwbw.com/Jupiter-1240-XO-Series-Thayer-Bass-Trombone-585111-i1517205.wwbw .

Thayers but with a single bore slide (slightly larger than average) but in direct competition price-wise with the 3062.

I liked the rotor model better (with rose brass bell) but I like dependent rotors better in general. Indeed, I think I probably liked it better than my 1062, overall, but an hour or so playing in a noisy store is hardly the environment to judge that.

Jupiter is coming up in the world. A friend of mine recently bought one of their XO model CC tubas, and loves it (despite the ribbing I give him every time I see him about his "Chinese horn" since it is built in Taiwan).

Worth checking out, and it appears that the Sam Ash in Orlando should be able to order it (for a deposit) as well as the 3062, Conn 62H, Kanstul 1662i and likely some other toys for you to try out (probably one at a time).

There's also apparently, according to the Jupiter website, a store called "The Horn Section" in Melbourne FL, which might prove interesting, if you could contact it.

And, as DJ points out, Newell Sheridan is in Alabama and might very well have some suggestions (for a 10 hour drive from Orlando).

s3si1u

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: Oct 29, 2011, 01:37AM »

Everyone is different, John.

+1.

Gotta work hard for nice things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: