Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

949912 Posts in 62857 Topics- by 15169 Members - Latest Member: tuffybruin24
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) ***** OOTD ****** (Outrage of the Day)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ***** OOTD ****** (Outrage of the Day)  (Read 39159 times)
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:39AM »

Too bad twinkies don't have a benefactor like the post office. :)

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:10AM »

Too bad twinkies don't have a benefactor like the post office. :)
I say we raise the debt ceiling  and  bail out Hostess. 

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:48AM »

I say we raise the debt ceiling  and  bail out Hostess. 

Be patriotic!  Eat Wonder Bread! :) :) :)

PB&J on Wonder Bread.  My staple lunch when I was in Public School.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:18PM »

Wonder Bread is disgusting.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:31PM »

Be patriotic!  Eat Wonder Bread! :) :) :)

PB&J on Wonder Bread.  My staple lunch when I was in Public School.
Yumm but I still need Funny Bones and Devil dogs (no Drakes cakes out here though)..... and milk!

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Jan 14, 2012, 03:45AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/13/justice/new-york-airport-plot/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

they dared to try a terror suspect in the regular court system, don't they know that can't be done????  that it is too dangerous to the court, the jury, the community in which the trial takes place?

for heaven's sake, this guy is an imam, a religious leader, a member of the Shia branch of Islam, and even a foreigner, not a US citizen even and we gave him all the rights US citizens are entitled to

in fact, more than we are entitled to now a days.

does this qualify as an OOTD type of thing?

what could they been thinking of:

perhaps a person is not guilty until tried by his/her peers in a court of law as opposed to a military tribunal???

the image of American justice protrayed to the rest of the World????

nah, that would be too American, pre 2001 status.

Imam sentenced to life in prison in JFK airport terror plot
By Jim Barnett, CNN
updated 7:24 PM EST, Fri January 13, 2012

An imam and leader of the Shiite Muslim community in Trinidad and Tobago was sentenced to life in prison for conspiring to attack a New York airport by exploding fuel tanks and fuel pipelines under the airport, the Justice Department said Friday.

Kareem Ibrahim and several other co-conspirators believed the 2007 planned attack would cause extensive damage to John F. Kennedy International Airport and to the New York economy, as well as kill many people, officials said.

Ibrahim, 65, was convicted in May by a federal jury on multiple terrorism offenses after a four-week trial. . . .

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:18AM »

Outrage!  Using the US Judicial System to prosecute a criminal!  Sly, your cheek is sticking out pretty far from your tongue being stuck in it ;-)

I have my own Outrage of the Day.  The New England Conservatory fired a videographer and teacher Benjamin Zander because they discovered that the videographer (hired by Zander) had been convicted of rape and served a prison sentence.  Since he was released he had no further convictions or even suspicions.

Excuse me, but I thought that after you served your sentence you were considered to have a new start.  This sounds like something from Les Miserables where Jean Valjean is pursued by Inspector Javier for decades simply because he was in prison for stealing a loaf of bread even though he is an upstanding citizen and Mayor of a small town.

Bruce Guttman
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:53PM »

welcome to the real world as opposed to the ideal world

remember in this country, until proven guilty in a court of law any one arrested and charged with a crime is presumed not guilty - sure

want to list any more real world vs. ideal world??

Outrage!  Using the US Judicial System to prosecute a criminal!  Sly, your cheek is sticking out pretty far from your tongue being stuck in it ;-) . . .

moi being sarcastic and/or tongue in cheek?????

Evil :D

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:15PM »

You vill comply!  Evil

A mother in Hoke County complains her daughter was forced to eat a school lunch because a government inspector determined her home-made lunch did not meet nutrition requirements. In fact, all of the students in the NC Pre-K program classroom at West Hoke Elementary School in Raeford had to accept a school lunch in addition to their lunches brought from home.

NC Pre-K (before this year known as More at Four) is a state-funded education program designed to “enhance school readiness” for four year-olds.

The mother, who doesn’t wish to be identified at this time, says she made her daughter a lunch that contained a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips. A state inspector assessing the pre-K program at the school said the girl also needed a vegetable, so the inspector ordered a full school lunch tray for her. While the four-year-old was still allowed to eat her home lunch, the girl was forced to take a helping of chicken nuggets, milk, a fruit and a vegetable to supplement her sack lunch.

The mother says the girl was so intimidated by the inspection process that she was too scared to eat all of her homemade lunch. The girl ate only the chicken nuggets provided to her by the school, so she still didn’t eat a vegetable.

The mother says her daughter doesn’t like vegetables and – like most four year olds – will only eat them at home under close supervision.

In an interview with the Civitas Institute the mother said “I can’t put vegetables in her lunchbox. I’m not a millionaire and I’m not going to put something in there that my daughter doesn’t eat and I’ve done gone round and round with the teacher about that and I’ve told her that. I put fruit in there every day because she is a fruit eater. Vegetables, let me take care of my business at home and at night and that’s when I see she’s eating vegetables. I either have to smash it or tell her if you don’t eat your vegetables you’re going to go to bed.”

The mother added, “It’s just a headache to keep arguing and fighting. I’ve even wrote a note to her teachers and said do not give my daughter anything else unless it comes out of her lunchbox and they are still going against me and putting a milk in front of her every day.

“Friday she came home and said ‘Mom, they give me vegetable soup and a milk,’” said the mother.

“So I went to the cafeteria to make sure she had no fee and it’s not being charged to her account yet,” she continued, ” but what concerned me was that I got a letter from the principal and it says students who do not bring a healthy lunch will be offered the missing portions which may result in a fee from the cafeteria. So if I don’t stay on top of her account on a weekly basis there’s that opportunity that charges could be put on her account and then if I let it go too far then it’s like I’m going to have a big battle.”

The principal of West Hoke Elementary, Jackie Samuels, says none of the children’s parents were asked to pay for the school food. While the parents may not have to pay, it was still an expense for the school to provide the extra food.  A phone call to the Hoke County Schools Superintendent to inquire as to how much additional expense this would impose on the school was not returned.

The mother, who lives in Fayetteville, sent a statement to state Rep. G.L. Pridgen (R-Robeson) detailing her complaint. Pridgen says he was shocked to hear it. Pridgen has since learned this is a nationwide practice based on federal guidelines.

An assistant to Pridgen says the girl’s grandmother was also upset and asked, “This isn’t China, is it?”

The government inspector was from the Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale-Revised program at the FPG Child Development Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The program gives schools a grade based on standards that include USDA meal guidelines enforced by the N.C. Division of Early Childhood Development.

The nutrition standards for pre-K lunch require milk, two servings of fruit or vegetable, bread or grains and a meat or meat alternative. The school didn’t receive a high grade from the January assessment because the home-made lunches didn’t meet those  guidelines. The mother points out the only thing on that list her daughter’s home lunch didn’t have was milk, so she doesn’t understand why the girl was given a complete school meal as a supplement.

The mother says her next step is to sit down with the principal and if nothing is done then she plans to go to the school board.

This article was posted in Education    by Matt Willoughby    on February 14, 2012 at 11:53 AM.

Ronald Reagan
SensitiveJohn

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:44AM »

If parents can't or won't provide an adequate lunch for the children, I applaud the school for stepping in.
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:46AM »

If parents can't or won't provide an adequate lunch for the children, I applaud the school for stepping in.
You are not a parent are you?
Turkey, cheese, fruit, chips, fruit juice. Doesn't seem too bad to me, A, and school is for teaching not parenting, B. Since when did schools become the gestapo?
School lunch - Fried chicken, veggie, fruit and milk.
Wow!  huge difference.  Yeah, RIGHT.
More nanny state nonsense.

Ronald Reagan
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Feb 15, 2012, 06:48AM »

If ... ?

Don't you have a sense of that from the story?

Or didn't you read the post ... ?

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:59AM »

The mother should have put ketchup on the sandwich.  I remember from the Reagan administration when they declared Ketchup to be a vegetable Evil

I agree this is overstepping the bounds.  I wonder what the underlying story is like.

Bruce Guttman
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:09AM »

The mother should have put ketchup on the sandwich.  I remember from the Reagan administration when they declared Ketchup to be a vegetable Evil

I agree this is overstepping the bounds.  I wonder what the underlying story is like.

It was actually proposed by the USFDA during Reagans term.  A 1/2 cup of tomato paste was declared a veggie by Congress 2011.

When I was a kid I had PB&J and Drakes pretzel nuggets and Drakes Yodels or Ring Dings and milk. No obesity and no diabetes in my family. I know genetics come into play though.  It is overkill. I was a terrible vegetable eater.  A lot better now though.

Ronald Reagan
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:15PM »

Nothing new but it bares repeating
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/20/analysis-fair-share-in-taxes-not-by-numbers/

As Americans sit down to file their federal tax returns, a simple question comes to mind -- what's a "fair share" to give the federal government in taxes?
For half the working population, fair means paying almost no income taxes at all.
"The top 10 percent income earners pay about 70 percent of federal income taxes," says Will McBride of the Tax Foundation. "The bottom 50 percent of tax filers have, they pay almost no federal income tax. They pay about 3 percent of federal income taxes."

President Obama’s phrase that everyone should “pay our fair share of taxes” has become something of a political mantra. He has used the expression in dozens of speeches, beginning back in his State of Union address in January. More recently, he told University students in Virginia, "we do expect everyone to do their fair share.”
But for many of the people who pay no taxes, the government also allows tax credits, which end up providing refunds.
"Close to a hundred billion in checks sent out by the IRS (go) to folks who have no tax liability," McBride said. "So the IRS is becoming a spending agency."
Arthur Brooks, head of the American Enterprise Institute, put it this way: "Half of the people who don’t pay anything in federal income taxes -- about half of them pay less than zero."
But Brooks says the system is tilted even more toward those in the middle class and below because they also get services from the federal government. As a result the per capita value of government spending exceeds what those individuals pay in federal taxes.
"Right now about 70 percent of Americans take more out of the tax system than they put into it, according to the Tax Foundation," Brooks said."That's something that should really alarm a lot of Americans."
The policies that left so many people paying no income taxes have been supported by presidents of both parties, and despite what Americans tell pollsters they believe is fair, that’s not how it shakes out.
"The interesting thing is that about two-thirds of Americans think that everybody should pay something,” Brooks said, "so they remember that our government isn't free."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/20/analysis-fair-share-in-taxes-not-by-numbers/#ixzz1mzT2vwzg

Ronald Reagan
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:20PM »

The deal when they cut taxes during the Bush II administration was that it wasn't a deal for the rich, but was across the board.

That meant that some people who were rich saved tons of money on taxes, and people of modest means fell out of tax liability altogether. Of course, some people fell out by making less money.

Now the predominant tax policy of the GOP is to refuse to raise taxes on the wealthy to the previous levels, but to complain about lower income people who also got a tax break. It sounds to me like a deal being reneged upon.

There's a sucker born every minute.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:23PM »

The deal when they cut taxes during the Bush II administration was that it wasn't a deal for the rich, but was across the board.

That meant that some people who were rich saved tons of money on taxes, and people of modest means fell out of tax liability altogether. Of course, some people fell out by making less money.

Now the predominant tax policy of the GOP is to refuse to raise taxes on the wealthy to the previous levels, but to complain about lower income people who also got a tax break. It sounds to me like a deal being reneged upon.

There's a sucker born every minute.
Where's the fairness?  That Obama talks about?  When you can actually get paid by the IRS?  Who's the sucker?  Yeah, RIGHT. It's perfectly ok to get paid by the IRS when you are not an employee of the IRS?

Ronald Reagan
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:01AM »

For the most part, those getting "paid by the IRS" (to use your words) aren't getting much of a deal at all.  The Earned Income Tax Credit (which is probably what you are talking about) doesn't even cover living expenses for the person who can claim it.

Look at it from a historical perspective.

When the Income Tax was initiated in 1913, you had to be earning 1000 dollars a year to have to pay taxes.  In 1913 the average wage was well below that.  Of course the demands on the Government were a lot less than they are now; after all, the Army was planning to add a few of these new "aeroplanes" as a test to see if they would be of any use in a war.  The amount of road traffic was mostly horse-drawn vehicles with a few of those new-fangled automobiles coming along.

Nowadays we have an estimate that if you earn less than $22,133 for a family of 4, you are poor.  This means your entire income is needed for basic living expenses with nothing for "discretionary spending".  So should we make somebody who can barely scrape by have to pay taxes?

If we take the concept that maybe somebody who is poor shouldn't have to pay taxes, what happens if you earn one dollar more than the poverty level?  Do we suddenly make you pay a percentage of your income?  Do we tax that dollar at a higher percentage?  If the latter, what incentive do we provide people to try to get out of poverty?

At the other end of the scale, if somebody earns $1,000,000 a year (NET) and we take half of it, he still has a pretty comfortable income.  There aren't too many of these folks, though.  They represent somewhere around 5% of the wage earning population.  Average is around $35,000 per year for wage earners.

So yes, the people in the top earning income brackets pay a large percentage of the taxes.  It has always been so.  Because they can afford it.

Have you seen the new tax form?

Bruce Guttman
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:11AM »

Have you seen the new tax form?

Or rather, the proposed GOP tax form for the lower middle and lower classes. For the middle class it says "send anything you don't absolutely need to cover your bills, and cut off any and all indulgences (like meat and cheese and fancy, non-water beverages)."

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:18AM »

Or rather, the proposed GOP tax form for the lower middle and lower classes. For the middle class it says "send anything you don't absolutely need to cover your bills, and cut off any and all indulgences (like meat and cheese and fancy, non-water beverages)."

You didn't know that this is the Republican plan to fight obesity?  If the poor have no money for food they won't be fat Evil

Bruce Guttman
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

masaj salonu ankara ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj ankara masaj