Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

949529 Posts in 62818 Topics- by 15163 Members - Latest Member: Rory.wills2
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumPractice BreakChit-ChatPurely Politics(Moderators: bhcordova, RedHotMama, BFW) ***** OOTD ****** (Outrage of the Day)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ***** OOTD ****** (Outrage of the Day)  (Read 39089 times)
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Feb 27, 2012, 04:04AM »

Ronkny, you're ignoring my question.

What ... ?

He put some words down behind it ... what more could you want?

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
sly fox
love old trombones' engravings

"trombone enthusiast, photos of trombones - gallery"

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Feb 28, 2012, 02:59PM »

???? OOTD ??????

is it, or isn't it????

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/28/judges-dismissal-of-atheists-harassment-claim-against-muslim-makes-waves/?hpt=ju_c2

as always, I respectfully ask you to read the article before responding,  Thanks.

Allen
First and foremost I'm a proud Dad & lucky Husband.  They say great minds can differ (not that I claim to have a great mind).  Remember that $ and my opinion buys coffee at the diner.
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:04PM »

???? OOTD ??????

is it, or isn't it????

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/28/judges-dismissal-of-atheists-harassment-claim-against-muslim-makes-waves/?hpt=ju_c2

as always, I respectfully ask you to read the article before responding,  Thanks.
Bravo.

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:47PM »

I'm with the judge on this one. If you don't want to get in a fight, don't pick one.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: Mar 16, 2012, 03:40PM »

http://www.lifenews.com/2012/03/14/pro-choice-activist-i-love-abortion-dont-want-it-rare/

Teaser:
“Pro-Choice” Activist: “I Love Abortion,” “Don’t Want it Rare”

Actually, this really isn't an 'Outrage of the Day' because FINALLY a Liberal had the Gonads to come out and admit what abortion is about all along.

First, unlike all the liberals around here, she admitted that she is FOR abortion, while all the liberals around here say stuff like they are against abortion, but think that the mother should have rights blah blah blah.

She says:
“Similarly, I’ve heard reproductive rights activists claim that “no one likes abortion,” in an attempt to find common ground with anti-choicers. While it may be true that no one likes the physical act of having an abortion (any more than she may like her yearly mammogram, life-saving chemotherapy, or temporarily uncomfortable dental surgery), a great many women like abortion itself.”

Second, she admits the purpose for the abortion, and it isn't about her health, rape and incest, like all the liberals around here try to say, in their justification efforts blah blah blah.

From the article:
"The pro-abortion activist categorically opposes even the “safe, legal and rare” mantra that pro-abortion politicians like Bill Clinton have used to appear to be more moderate or mainstream on abortion and that even former NARAL president Kate Michelman used to make her organization’s position appear less polemic."

She goes on:
“However, there is no need to suggest that abortion be rare. To say so implies a value judgement [sic], promoting the idea that abortion is somehow distasteful or immoral and should be avoided. Even with affordable, accessible birth control, there will be user errors, condoms that break, moments of spontaneity. The best contraceptive access in the world won’t change the fact that we are merely human and imperfect in our routines.”

Finally, someone who is brave enough to come out with some honesty about why they are for abortion. So now, we finally know the truth.

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Mar 16, 2012, 03:59PM »

The real question here is, is he really that stupid, or is he dishonest?

Given how consistently he pulls this infantile nonsense it kinda leaves us with those two options. He's vapid, or he's "proactively errant", just like Ronkny and SJ.

- Reason is to understanding as theory is to music, and critical thinking is as mastery of theory.
- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves. -Richard Feynman
ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:09PM »

The real question here is, is he really that stupid, or is he dishonest?

Given how consistently he pulls this infantile nonsense it kinda leaves us with those two options. He's vapid, or he's "proactively errant", just like Ronkny and SJ.
Your cowardly posts(not addressing the poster directly)  are growing tiresome.  Are you only here to criticize those who you disagree with? What is your purpose?  Your smug psuedo intellectualism is laughable yet at the same time annoying.

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:13PM »

That's more or less the same point I'm making, actually. In your case it's just misguided, and you're just not very good at making it--more than likely for the same reason you demonstrate little if any capacity to reason in an effective or consistent manner.

ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:24PM »

That's more or less the same point I'm making, actually. In your case it's just misguided, and you're just not very good at making it--more than likely for the same reason you demonstrate little if any capacity to reason in an effective or consistent manner.
I always (at least 95% of the time) address the poster.  I don't talk around him. 
Who announced you the arbitrator of what  "effective reasoning" is?  95% of your posts address not the topic, but the poster.  Trying to persuade others not to respond to the "dope".  Why?

Ronald Reagan
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:36PM »

I always (at least 95% of the time) address the poster.  I don't talk around him.

Actually the issue you're reaching for would be addressing the issue rather than the poster, which would be considered ad-hominem if I were using it in an argument on the issue. But that's the very problem I'm pointing out here. You and DD and to a more selective extent SJ, don't seem to really have much of a concept of what "addressing the issue" or "engaging in a discussion" really mean. That's the basic problem, and no matter how much others address issues, you guys are just going to make a lot of brain wrecks, preventing actual discussion and the actual consideration of the actual issue.

I've only made this point about fourteen times, and you demonstrate the same utter lack of understanding, as if you've never read a single explanation. It appears to be the mental block I've also explained, and of which I expect you're equally unaware, providing yet another example of my point--why all you and yours "contribute" is confusion and chaos and general nastiness. As one-sided as it tends to be it still leaves brain wrecks wherever yous "participate" in this kind of sub-board/topic area. It's a microcosm of what's going on here in the US on a large scale, sadly enough. Until the actual issue is actually addressed we'll never get past the cause of the problem, and we'll never have much but a lot of brain wreckage where actual discussion and consideration could be and once was.

ronkny

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:47PM »

Actually the issue you're reaching for would be addressing the issue rather than the poster, which would be considered ad-hominem if I were using it in an argument on the issue. But that's the very problem I'm pointing out here. You and DD and to a more selective extent SJ, don't seem to really have much of a concept of what "addressing the issue" or "engaging in a discussion" really mean. That's the basic problem, and no matter how much others address issues, you guys are just going to make a lot of brain wrecks, preventing actual discussion and the actual consideration of the actual issue.

I've only made this point about fourteen times, and you demonstrate the same utter lack of understanding, as if you've never read a single explanation. It appears to be the mental block I've also explained, and of which I expect you're equally unaware, providing yet another example of my point--why all you and yours "contribute" is confusion and chaos and general nastiness. As one-sided as it tends to be it still leaves brain wrecks wherever yous "participate" in this kind of sub-board/topic area. It's a microcosm of what's going on here in the US on a large scale, sadly enough. Until the actual issue is actually addressed we'll never get past the cause of the problem, and we'll never have much but a lot of brain wreckage where actual discussion and consideration could be and once was.
You seem to be the only one complaining.   And why?  This is a trombone forum not an academic forum where we evaluate each others grammar and punctuation.  I don't that's the purpose.  It seems like you just like to fixate where the discussion goes while pretending to be superior to most people on this forum.  It's really not necessary.  Start your own forum with your own rules.

Ronald Reagan
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:02PM »

You seem to be the only one complaining.
You're clearly not paying attention.

And why?  This is a trombone forum not an academic forum where we evaluate each others grammar and punctuation.
So now you want to argue the standards of reason are different for trombonists, or in casual settings--what makes a valid argument is flexible. But no, it's not. This is another pretty clear indication you really just don't understand reasoning, much less how it applies to discussion--genuine discussion, that is.

I don't that's the purpose.  It seems like you just like to fixate where the discussion goes while pretending to be superior to most people on this forum.
In sports what I'm doing is pointing out that some players are ignoring the rules, but we don't really have any referees in the sense of the rules of logic and reason and such. We have to establish the standards of the forum in the social climate here, and you and yours are seriously detrimental to that climate.

That's another point I've made about 14 dozen times, yet you seem to have managed to miss it, as I expect you will this time ... because you don't really understand what I'm talking about.

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:14PM »

Let me interpret what you said:
No matter how many times you and others explain to us 'what is right', and we continue to disagree, then 'we' obviously don't have the concept of what 'addressing the issue' is or 'engaging in a discussion' really means. And according to 'you', that is the basic problem. By disagreeing, we are obviously making a lot of 'brain wrecks', preventing 'actual discussion', and the 'actual consideeration of the actual issue'.

Interpretation:
Why do you still disagree, after me telling you the problem you have 14 times? But, why do I ask, when I already know the answer to my own question regarding your problems? 'Mental Blocks'.

This is a great place! Not only do I learn a lot about things I never knew about regarding the trombone, but I get free excellent 'Mental Block Therapy'.

All that without a single comment about the babe that loves Abortion too! I'm impressed. :) She obviously doesn't have any 'Mental Blocks' and according to BVB has all her clouds ready for the next storm. :)

Energy City Big Band
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:21PM »

I assume you posted that article to show that there is an Abortion version of the Welfare Queen.

I'm sure there are women who are nymphomaniacs and like having abortion as a way to easily deal with their wantonness.  Guess what?  They have been around for centuries.  In the "bad old days" they had "back alley" abortions and often would die or become seriously ill from them.  Preventing them from getting abortions will not save any babies; they will still sleep around and have the pregnancies terminated.

We will eternally disagree on abortion.  Mainly because I feel it's the woman's choice.  If you are going to have the baby (you'd love being pregnant, I'm sure) then it's your  choice.

We're back to the Conservatives wanting everybody else to conform to their ideas, not learning to deal with other perspectives.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:25PM »

Let me interpret what you said:

And yet another excellent demonstration of the problem.

I'm sure you'd be quite capable of doing so if you were more honest, or perhaps if you just weren't invested in "proactive error" on the matter. But when it comes to matters in which you're emotionally invested at all, you're not honest.

Discussion doesn't work in that kind of intellectual/social climate.

ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:36PM »

We're back to the Conservatives wanting everybody else to conform to their ideas, not learning to deal with other perspectives.

You're also wanting Conservatives 'to conform to your ideas', are you not? Without learning to deal with other perspectives.

Here's the rub:
If liberals conform to the Conservative way, a baby is saved.

If Conservatives conform to the Liberals way, a baby is killed.

If I'm in error, at least an innocent, even if unwanted, baby is saved. However, if you're wrong, you have blood on your hands. Well, not 'you' personally, but 'you' in general.

Energy City Big Band
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:40PM »

And yet another excellent demonstration of the problem.

I'm sure you'd be quite capable of doing so if you were more honest, or perhaps if you just weren't invested in "proactive error" on the matter. But when it comes to matters in which you're emotionally invested at all, you're not honest.

Discussion doesn't work in that kind of intellectual/social climate.

I'm sure you're not going to climb off that Horse you're riding anytime soon!

Energy City Big Band
Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:45PM »

You're also wanting Conservatives 'to conform to your ideas', are you not? Without learning to deal with other perspectives.

Here's the rub ...

Actually the rub here is that, as you've been told many times, you're presuming your conclusion as a premise. It's a fallacy called begging the question. The premise you're presuming is the very issue of contention, no less. If you understood reasoning at all you'd have to recognize that's functionally the same as simply "arguing" I'm right you're wrong I'm right you're wrong ... infinity! You may as well go with the neener neener neener gambit. But you don't see any of that--you won't see any of that, because you're not honest when you're invested in an issue. You don't bring anything of substance to the table, so you just have to presume your position is right, in perpetuity.

That means you can't actually muster up the gonads to actually engage in an honest discussion about a topic in which you're invested, and unfortunately you clearly invest in pretty much any position you take, probably because you have nothing of actual substance to go with, so investment is pretty much all you do have.

But you won't be honest about it. You'll refuse to accept it's a fallacy no matter how obvious it is (willful ignorance is a very useful tool for pulling that off), so you'll never bother to even try and come up with a valid or honest argument, instead you'll just keep hurling these same words at your opponents and pretending (or perhaps actually believing) it's actually a discussion.

Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:47PM »

I'm sure you're not going to climb off that Horse you're riding anytime soon!

That's entirely on you and yours, man.

I sound repetitive any time I start calling you and yours on nonsense--it's incessant, so yeah, if you call it what it is, it gets old, real fast.

That's why I don't like to do it very often.

It's there whether I call attention to it or not though, and others notice even if you choose not to, or pretend not to (that's why they keep pointing out you're arguing nonsense, in so many words).

The mystery is why others seem to enjoy repeatedly pulling your cord.

Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Mar 16, 2012, 06:22PM »

In sports what I'm doing is pointing out that some players are ignoring the rules ...

Have you guys seen Bachelor Party--one of Tom Hanks' early movies (may be Tom Hanks' first movie)? If so, remember the scene where he and his fiancee are playing "tennis" with her parents. Every time the ball goes anywhere near Rick (Hanks) he just hauls off and sends it flying over the fence using a baseball swing. Engaging in "discussion" with Wingnuts, left or right, on any topic in which they're invested, is like playing "tennis" with Rick. It's funny for one scene, but when these Ricks demand to continue playing and pretend not to notice they're never really playing the game, it gets old fast ... well, at least it certainly should. The fact it continues is something of a mystery. Is it the appeal of an easy opponent? Without any kind of officiation, though, all you're doing is chasing the balls down and sending them over the net once (or maybe twice on a good day) and then heading off after them again.

They actually think they're playing tennis ... and that they're better players than those who are foolish enough to hit the ball into the opponent's court, and think they have some skills and all that kinda shite.

Dunno though ... if that's fun for you go for it I guess. Just don't pretend you're really playing tennis. Also, keep the implications in mind--when too many Ricks start showing up it's going to destroy the game ... make it their game as long as you're willing to keep chasing the balls around and to act as if you're playing tennis matches (they simply won't admit or accept they're not, no matter how utterly foolish they look).

Just sayin' ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: