Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080934 Posts in 71553 Topics- by 19061 Members - Latest Member: Solitario85
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best way to clean a mouthpiece?  (Read 15639 times)
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 22, 2017, 01:30PM »

It is, but they dilute it very precisely and also time the exposure.  I suspect if you left a mouthpiece in there too long it would dissolve.

Really? Could you set up an experiment on an old mpc and get back to us when it is dissolved, please?  Amazed

There are a whole list of disclaimers and cautions on the back of the container. I suggest anyone thinking about using it should read them first and then make their own decision, and/or experiment on an old piece first.

...Geezer

timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2017, 05:09AM »

Here's the MSDS:
http://www.jelmar.com/msds/2012/CLR_Calcium_Lime_Rust_MSDS.pdf

I tried to cut and paste but it's an image.

It's acidic with a pH of 2.1 to 2.3.  That's enough to make me careful.  I would not mix it with other cleaning products (not wanting to open that old debate.) 

If I had some I'd drop a brass bolt into it and see what happens, if I had a brass bolt. 

I see that it's not the same as toilet bowl cleaner.  I had thought the type of acid would be the same but they're very different.
http://cor.cleaneasier.com/php/MSDS/Zep/Acidic%20Toilet%20Bowl%20Cleaner.pdf

Tim Richardson
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2017, 06:57AM »

Eric,How do you go about polishing a mouthpiece out of curiosity? My Greg Black (like many Greg Blacks I've seen and some of the older Schilkes, I think it has something to do with the very high quality of the silver plating) has started to go a bit black, but I dislike the idea of A. taking material off of the mouthpiece that I love so dearly already, and B. putting abrasive chemicals where I put my mouth.Should I just leave it as is?

Hi John,  sorry about the missed reply!!

An easy polish is with Hagerty's Silver polish & either a silver polish cloth or a soft rag, like an old t-shirt.

Then a quick scrub with soap & hot water.

If the tarnish is too heavy for the above,  a quick, light zip on a buffing wheel with rouge will clean it up nicely.
A light touch won't affect anything.

Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2017, 09:02AM »

The MSDS Tim linked to lists lactic and gluconic acids.  These are organic acids much like vinegar.  While I wouldn't want to store a mouthpiece in the solution, I doubt that an extended soak will do a lot of damage -- neither has enough strength to dissolve silver metal, or even brass.

I'd be more concerned if there were mineral acids like hydrochloric or nitric.  These can dissolve silver.  Actually, hydrochloric will create a deposit of silver chloride, which is light sensitive and turns black in light.  That's how photographic film works (does anybody remember photographic film?   I used to make the stuff).

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: