Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

923647 Posts in 60472 Topics- by 14503 Members - Latest Member: Lifelongpursuit
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: greg waits, tbone62) Stolen Bach 50T3 Bass Trombone - Poughkeepsie New York
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stolen Bach 50T3 Bass Trombone - Poughkeepsie New York  (Read 6343 times)
bassboneman

"Practice only on days you eat!"

View Profile
« on: Dec 25, 2011, 11:47AM »

Make            Bach

Hello Friend of the Trombone Forum.

Below is the appraisal and specifics of the stolen Bach. Sadly, this instrument belongs to a High School student.
The local police have been notified and I am in the process of notifying local music stores and pawn shops as well.

Merry Christmas!

Sam

Serial            82279

Model            50T3

Finish            Lacquer

Condition         Good             

Description:
Bach 50T3 custom professional bass trombone with double independent Thayer valves, 9 yellow brass bell and .562 bore standard weight hand slide in the key of Bb/F/Gb/D with an extention that can be added to the second valve slide changing the key to Bb/F/D/B. Instrument was customized and engraved by O.E Thayer in Switzerland and comes with case.

TOTAL APPRAISED VALUE   $5,779.00

Date appraised         06-21-2010

Davin Vance
Sales Representative
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2011, 11:56AM »

So sorry to hear of this.  The lowlifes don't respect the holidays, do they. :(

I should point out one thing, though.  Orla Ed Thayer was in Oregon and as far as I know never produced instruments in Switzerland.  Rene Hagmann is in Switzerland, but his valves don't look anything like Thayer's.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:29PM »

That reminds me of that O E Thayer bass that used at Dillon Music.  It had a Bach Slide with an OE Thayer bell section and some massive 2nd valve extension that curved all the way around.

The serial number on Bach trombones is on the hand slide section. Are you sure it was an original Bach 50T3 that had been customized, or was it one with an OE Thayer valve section?

Bach 39 Alto - Faxx 7C
King 3B - Bach 6 3/4C
Yamaha YSL-640 - Hammond 11ML
Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD
Kanstul 1570CR - Laskey 59MD
Kanstul 1588CR - Hammond 11ML
Yamaha YBL-612RII - Faxx 1 1/2G, Laskey 85MD
bassboneman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2011, 12:32PM »

DaveyBoy!
This particular Bach that you mention IS from Dillon Music.
I have not seen the instrument but thought that the mention of "switzerland" was a bit odd too...

Sam
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2011, 05:39PM »

DaveyBoy!
This particular Bach that you mention IS from Dillon Music.
I have not seen the instrument but thought that the mention of "switzerland" was a bit odd too...

Sam
That thing weighed a TON.  It's also very unique though, so I seriously doubt anyone will be able to unload it anywhere reputable without it being noticed. The instrument, as I remember it, was a bach slide with a bell section made by O.E. Thayer. I don't believe the bell itself had much in the way of markings.  I'll let some buddies up in the upstate NY area know. It seems that most thieves are not too bright when trying to offload hot trombones.

Bach 39 Alto - Faxx 7C
King 3B - Bach 6 3/4C
Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD
bassboneman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2011, 02:13PM »

DaveyBoy!

Thank you for the assitance. I have a good friend attending Purchase who is aware of the situation now as well.

I notified the local rep for Diefes & Mikolajeski Music and he is all over the place up here in Orange, Dutchess and Sullivan Couties :o)

You are correct about thieves though! Typically, they aint that bright - unloading that horn may be a trick. Especially considering it is as unique as you say it is...

The owner is working on signing up to the Trombone Forum. I encouraged him to upload some pics of the horn...if he has any.
NateR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:26PM »

Sam,

There are some pawnshops in Poughkeepsie that might be worth checking (Poughkeepsie pawnbrokers i believe it's called). Maybe try the Quick Cash down in wappinger's falls. A friend of mine had a horn stolen when we were up in Montreal. We tracked it down to the pawnshop at the end of the block. Thieves really aren't that smart, they often just want to offload the horn quickly.

Best of luck.

-Nate
bassboneman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2011, 07:13AM »

I called quick cash in Wappingers Falls...
The gentleman there wasnt able to elaborate - but said there wasnt a trombone there.
I tried Poughkeepsie Pawn Brokers - no answer will try again later...
Thank you Nate for your assitance :o)

Sam
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:34AM »

I would advise, if possible, to show up in person to pawnshops. Some are not as reputable as others, and may not hire the most trustworthy help.

Where was the horn stolen from? Home? School? Car?

Bach 39 Alto - Faxx 7C
King 3B - Bach 6 3/4C
Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD
SteinwayLM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:34PM »

Hi, I'm the mom in this stolen trombone situation. Here's the story from what my son has told me. He was at his dad's house and got items out of the bass trombone case before leaving for school. Usually he brings both his tenor and bass to school every day, but that day he didn't - Thursday, Dec. 22. He didn't need the bass that day. When he returned to his dad's house after school and went to practice before Jazz Machine rehearsal he found it was missing from his room. A search of the house turned up no horn, and nothing else missing. His dad reported that the front door of the house had been mistakenly left open that day. I reported it to the police because his dad wouldn't. The officer has searched their house twice and said he notified local music stores and pawn shops. It was reported as a theft, but unless we find the horn, there's nothing else that can be done legally. I have started the insurance claim but I really wish we could find his. I still have the "D" tuning slide attachment thingy here. I don't know if it will fit on another horn though. The trombone was in a ProTek case.
I have attached a picture of him playing the horn at AllState orchestra this year, though it's hard to see any details. He is most worried about how he will get through auditions which are coming up for various orchestras (not college yet-next year).
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:53PM »

I hate to say it, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't file a police report in the case of an item worth thousands of dollars being stolen.  Also, nothing else taken? Sounds like whoever took it knew it would be in there.  Of course, I'm a cynic and often see things where they aren't, but that just seems highly irregular. I really hope you are able to get it back. The D slide most likely should work with just about any O-E Thayer equipped bass.

Bach 39 Alto - Faxx 7C
King 3B - Bach 6 3/4C
Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD
GetzenBassPlayer

"Practice makes the horn sound good."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:22PM »

I hate to say it, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't file a police report in the case of an item worth thousands of dollars being stolen. 

A police report is usually the first step in filing a claim with most insurance companies. I find it strange that only the horn was stolen from the house.

Pro level? Pro level!  You make it pro, you make it good You make it loved and play nice Then its a pro level horn
Leif

I can justify my position with a trombone in my hands and that's good enough for me
Beware wise men bearing equations  C. Stearn
SteinwayLM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:33PM »

We found it really suspicious as well. Especially when my ex refused to call the police. Knowing that the D slide will most likely it a new horn is helpful. Thanks.
BassBoneFL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:55PM »

I find it strange that only the horn was stolen from the house.

I've had friends who had their houses/apartments robbed and the only things that were left were the trombones!! This episode has a whiff o' fish about it. :(

Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra

S.E. Shires Artist

"Having Yo-Yo Ma give a masterclass to brass players is like hiring Picasso to paint your garage." - Gene Pokorny
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:58PM »

something's rotten in denmark here. 

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:28AM »

I've had friends who had their houses/apartments robbed and the only things that were left were the trombones!! This episode has a whiff o' fish about it. :(
  yeah. Then again it depends entirely on what the person taking the stuff sees as valuable.

One of my 2nd cousins moved to Kentucky with his wife to teach high school, and also just loved the area out there. His dad and him are both into hunting, and are trained butchers, so he had hunting rifles and such in his house. Also there were lots of the usual things like electronics, tvs, laptops, etc etc etc.

Their house was robbed, and what was stolen? ONLY the guns. Not the laptops, or dvd players, or other items. They simply didn't see them as valuable, while the guns were. Now, anyone who has dealt with guns knows that stealing them and trying to sell them is completely stupid, because all guns have a serial number.

Turns out it was the neighbors grandson who had broken into the house. He then had taken the guns down to a local gun shop, and tried to sell them. My 2nd cousin had reported the guns missing to the police, and had all the serial numbers/permits as required, so when the guns showed up at the store, they knew right away that they were stolen.  My cousin got his guns back, the neighbors grandson got in trouble, and it was case closed.

What this illustrates is that whoever took the horn knew that it was valuable. The situation stinks, but it also smells like there's a rat.

Bach 39 Alto - Faxx 7C
King 3B - Bach 6 3/4C
Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD
SteinwayLM

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:32AM »

Hi all,
Here's an update on my son's trombone saga. Still no horn and no answers. BUT my insurance did give a check for the full appraisal value. We went back to Dillon's and he spent two hours playing around and decided on a new custom Getzen with a Rose bell. He's getting different custom things that can make it more like the old horn. In the end, he likes the Getzen better, and he has a lot more power with it.
Thank you all for the support and please still keep your eyes/ears open for it, so we can have some answers to the nagging questions.
Lisa
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2012, 03:12PM »

Well, that's good to hear at least. The Getzen Custom series horns are great horns. I would definitely recommend having him watch it like a hawk.

Bach 39 Alto - Faxx 7C
King 3B - Bach 6 3/4C
Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD
oldboner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:48AM »

In 1980 someone broke into my apartment and stole my Bach 42B. That was the only thing missing. I was a music major and looked every where for it but it never showed. My mom paid 600.00 new for it. There I was, a music major with no horn. Someone knew I had it and they wanted it. I truly hope they find this kids horn.
tbone62
"Chief of Stuff"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 28, 2012, 07:51PM »

Any further news on this horn?

-- Alea

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life--music and cats."  -- Albert Schweitzer

Alea iacta est...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: