Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

953713 Posts in 62949 Topics- by 15326 Members - Latest Member: Blayne.Rogers
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: King 2102 Case  (Read 1886 times)
Mr. Zoot Suit

"Jiggs and I! ^"

View Profile
« on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:36PM »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I am looking forward to being a part of it.  I am in a Jazz band that will be taking tours during the summer.  I really would like a new case that would fit a King 2102 snugly but with a little bit of room as not to freeze the horn into the case.  I have been checking out the BAM classic and the smaller Eastman Winds cases.  Some of my other wants and needs include:

Trimmed Down and Portable while still being durable

Provides enough protection that I could feel comfortable with checking it as luggage while flying if it was necessary.

Hold at Least 2 mouthpieces

Fit other small bore trombones

I have checked out the high end custom cases such as TANK but my budget doesn't allow such cases seeing as I am on a low teenage pay rate.  I would love any opinions you can give me to point me in the right direction.

Thanks everybody,
Leo

Leo Peters
Lead/Solo in Time Check Jazz Orchestra
Park City High School: Varsity Jazz Band & Wind Ensemble

Most Played Horns:
'53 Conn 12H-Wick 7CS (Big Band Horn)
'70s 3B-Rath S7 (Combo Horn)
Yamaha YBL-830- Wick 1AL Heavy/Wick 5ABL Heritage
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:31PM »

I don't know if there are any cases under $400 that I would feel comfortable checking as luggage. I would always try your utmost to have your trombone as a carry on. Even in a case if they are subjected to high deceleration, like if the case fell 6 feet, very often the trombone will suffer damage.

Bach 39 Alto - Faxx 7C
King 3B - Bach 6 3/4C
Yamaha YSL-640 - Hammond 11ML
Bach 42T - Laskey 59MD
Kanstul 1570CR - Laskey 59MD
Kanstul 1588CR - Hammond 11ML
Yamaha YBL-612RII - Faxx 1 1/2G, Laskey 85MD
Mr. Zoot Suit

"Jiggs and I! ^"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:35AM »

Checking the horn would be a last resort thing and in the event of flying I would be packing with the same precautions shown in this article: http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_text/travel.html even if I planned to take it on as a carry on.  I would not fly a lot and if I did I would invest in something more durable like a tank but it just isn't practical for my everyday use.  If I had to bump up the price more to get something still somewhat portable but similar to a tank I guess I would make the investment.

Leo Peters

Most Played Horns:
WaltTrombone
Former Titler of Teh Bick!

"Ein Prosit, ein Prosit, der Gemütlichkeit!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:15AM »

You might see if there's a small tenor version of the SKB 462 case, or if your King will fit in the 462. Those seem to be pretty tough. The SKB 360 is small enough to carry on, but might/might not last through being checked. You might see if you can get one of the Yamaha cases for the 897Z or 891Z, those are way solid. Apt to be pricey as an aftermarket item, though. Gate check it and politely ask the baggage guy to be really careful with your baby. Maybe even slip him a gratuity.

Check out Steve Ferguson's tips for flying with a trombone here, along with some case recommendations...
http://www.hornguys.com/cases.php

Walter Barrett
http://www.walterbarrett.com/
Yamaha Artist/Clinician
Alto, Tenor, Bass Trombones
Bass Trumpet
Euphonium, Tuba
Mr. Zoot Suit

"Jiggs and I! ^"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:34PM »

I checked out the SKB cases and really like the 462 but I probably wouldn't get that on as a carry on but it isn't to big of a deal because I could trust it being checked.  I still keep coming back to BAM and Eastman though and I am curious to know what you guys would prefer out of the SKB the Eastman and the Bam.  Once again any other recommendations would be nice.  Thanks for the input!  :)

Leo Peters

Most Played Horns:
boneguy35

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2011, 06:18PM »

I personally own an SKB 462.  It is a very sturdy case and I would be comfortable myself checking it.  I had never seen one in person before ordering it and they are quite large, more so than I had expected from pictures!  Mine is currently holding a King 2b and my only complaint is there is extra space since the case is made to hold a small bore tenor as well as large bore models.  If I was doing any sort of traveling with the case I would be more worried about the horn getting jostled around inside the case rather than the case not being sturdy enough.
Mr. Zoot Suit

"Jiggs and I! ^"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:52PM »

It's nice to know that it is very sturdy because I would like to be worry free if the event comes that I would have to check it as luggage.  When you mention very large how does it compare to the stock coffin cases that 2B's come in today?  Where are the wiggle areas?  Are you aware of anyways to reduce the wiggle? If you use materials what do you use?  Also how much storage is there? Sorry about the whole "20 questions", I just want to be sure of the case in the event I would order one.  Thanks for the heads up.

Happy new year everyone!,
Leo  :D

Leo Peters

Most Played Horns:
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:29AM »

Go to Staples or any stationers and pick up a cheap roll of bubble wrap. Should be about $5 for several metres. Go to the packaging shelf. Wrap the bell etc, in bubble wrap. The wrap is SMALL bubbles not big, about 1/4".

The bubble wrap is incredibly cheap protection. Layer it over the whole length of the horn even twice and it'll still be only about 1/2" thick.

Or, go to a store selling bath towels and buy a BLACK bath towel. Throw it over the bell and horn in the case. When you get to rehearsal and gigs throw it on the floor to catch spit. Basic black, machine washable.
   I've gotten return gigs in churches where the choir director couldn't have cared less about the sound.. but I got massive props for protecting a church carpet with a cheap black towel.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:54AM »

The Eastman cases are checkable.  I know some players like Sam Burtis like the SKB cases, but I have no experience with them-but would consider them based on his recommendation alone.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
boneguy35

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:41AM »

The SKB case is maybe a little bigger than the stock coffin cases.  I guess the case just feels bulky to me due to the hard material and the bell end of the case is pretty huge.  In terms of storage is has about none, a small storage space inside the case and a tiny pocket on the outside than can hold about nothing useful. In terms of the wiggle room, I tested wrapping both the bell and slide section in bubble wrap as well as towels and it fits much snugger.  I would be comfortable checking it no problem with the horn wrapped.  The latches on the case, at least on mine, pop open easily sometimes when I sling it over my shoulder.  Maybe throwing a lock on the middle one with a hole for it would put that issue at ease.  Overall it is a great case, it just feels like overkill for me on a small bore tenor.
JimR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:15AM »

I have an SKB 360, the smaller one, for my King 2B.  it is a perfect and nicely snug fit.  Very compact and a great price.

Jim
baileyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:23AM »

A golf bag case works great, available used cheap, holds horn in case and all your other stuff, and gets decent respect from baggage guys and airlines.

Mr. Zoot Suit

"Jiggs and I! ^"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:17PM »

Well I think I'm narrowing down on a case and as of now I am most interested in the SKB 462 the Eastman and the BAM Classic.  The main battle is between the SKB and the Eastman and the BAM is still mostly a consideration.  How sturdy is the Eastman compared to the SKB and what do you guys think about it?  Has anybody had personal experience checking an Eastman?  Thanks for helping in the hunt everybody!

Leo

Leo Peters

Most Played Horns:
Mr. Zoot Suit

"Jiggs and I! ^"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:14AM »

Hi all,

For those reading this post in the future or for those who are just curious to know what I settled on; I decided I would let you guys know what my final verdict was.  I ended up going with the Eastman because it was sturdy, semi trimmed down, had the backpack straps for those occasions where I need to walk somewhere, and the price was good.  I got it from [urlhttp://www.hornguys.com/][/url] for $210 shipped. Also if I had to fly somewhere I took into account that I could get an SKB 462 for around the $150 price mark. 

The case itself seems of good quality and I have had no problems.  The bell fits VERY snugly up to the where the brace is; from there it is left in some open space.  It doesn't have a "wiggle" issue but there is a good deal of space.  Then again the situation would be the opposite with an F attachment. (I used a little bit of foam to fill the gaps to satisfy my paranoid personality. ;-)) The slide fit very well and everything has a good solid feel inside. There are no mouthpiece slots in the little compartment it has but that doesn't bother me at all because I bought the case for my horn not my mouthpieces.  Although there are no slots, I came up with some foam dividers and used individual pouches to store my mouthpieces. With everything taken into account I am very satisfied and I also wanted to thank everybody for their advice.

Thanks everybody,

Leo

Leo Peters

Most Played Horns:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: